Ok, I’m All In On Travis Fulgham

Runtherock

Just had probably his worst game so far. And that was a 5 catch, 75 yard performance. I know he had less against SF but was his first game playing and got fewer opportunities. 

If you average his stats out through these four and extrapolate over a 16 game season, the dude is pacing for a 90+ catch, 1400+ yard, 12+ TD season. 

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

Just had probably his worst game so far. And that was a 5 catch, 75 yard performance. I know he had less against SF but was his first game playing and got fewer opportunities. 

If you average his stats out through these four and extrapolate over a 16 game season, the dude is pacing for a 90+ catch, 1400+ yard, 12+ TD season. 

:drool::LII:

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yeah, we got lucky finding him. I see a long future for him in this town, hopefully he wont always have to be our number one guy though.

Only problem with Fulgham is that Wentz hates anyone getting more love than him.
So Wentz will stop targeting him until he gets desperate for a completion. :whistle:

Y'all know what's REALLY effing funny / sad / whatever? 

Think about this: our last 2 drafts had 1st draft picks at OT (Dillard) and WR (Reagor).  Have either of them contributed anything in their young careers?  Hell no.  Instead, we have a 7th round former rugby player (TATE favorite Mailata) and a guy that was waived by 2 NFL teams before even catching a single pass (Fulgham). 

39 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Think about this: our last 2 drafts had 1st draft picks at OT (Dillard) and WR (Reagor).  Have either of them contributed anything in their young careers?  Hell no.  Instead, we have a 7th round former rugby player (TATE favorite Mailata) and a guy that was waived by 2 NFL teams before even catching a single pass (Fulgham). 

That's how it goes sometimes. 

TATE will write off a guy before he's even drafted, but there's still a chance that Dillard and Reagor turn out to be reasonably good picks though.  

What a find this kid is.  Total luck but I'll take it.  

Time for haterz to STFU and give props.  FulGOAT is the real deal and we finally have a #1 big WR!

"Travis Fulgham has more receiving yards in his first six games than Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, Michael Irvin, Art Monk, Andre Reed, Lynn Swann, Isaac Bruce, Terrell Owens and Cris Carter. And he didn’t catch a pass in the first three.“

A little nugget I picked up from a Rueben Frank tweet. Granted many of the HOF guys played in a different era, but it does show this kid has something special going. I always look at undrafted free agents as a big crapshoot year to year though. You never know when you get Arian Foster or Rodney Hood. Still I like the kid. I find it interesting we are seeing a lot of UDFA making contributions than actual Eagles selections. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

"Travis Fulgham has more receiving yards in his first six games than Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, Michael Irvin, Art Monk, Andre Reed, Lynn Swann, Isaac Bruce, Terrell Owens and Cris Carter. And he didn’t catch a pass in the first three.“

That's some pretty elite company he's amongst there!

16 hours ago, nipples said:

You had me at : "The Dude", when you were talking about Fulgham. He is a baller.

Fulgham was 6th rd pick of Detroit in 2019. Still playing like a top 10 pick though.

15 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

A little nugget I picked up from a Rueben Frank tweet. Granted many of the HOF guys played in a different era, but it does show this kid has something special going. I always look at undrafted free agents as a big crapshoot year to year though. You never know when you get Arian Foster or Rodney Hood. Still I like the kid. I find it interesting we are seeing a lot of UDFA making contributions than actual Eagles selections. 

19 hours ago, nipples said:

Total bust!! Probably his worst game as he had 11 targets but Wentz wasn't helping him out much. Couple of throws the booth was saying he should have caught but they were horrible throws.

I legitimately think we found a true #1 receiver. Not saying he’s a for sure pro bowler or anything, but I do believe by the end of the year he’ll be viewed as a guy who would be a starter for just about any team in the league. And who knows, he’s young, if he’s got the work ethic and keeps playing with that chip on his shoulder he very well could end up being a pro bowl caliber receiver in a year or two. 

Just now, Vileborg said:

Total bust!! Probably his worst game as he had 11 targets but Wentz wasn't helping him out much. Couple of throws the booth was saying he should have caught but they were horrible throws.

I don’t fault him at all for not pulling in that ridiculous pass across the field. Defender got his arm just as the ball was getting there, and his aggressiveness in attacking the ball like he does is likely the only reason it wasn’t picked. 

The one in the end zone, he probably should have caught, though it would have been an incredible catch if he was able to actually get his feet down in bounds. I think that’s why he missed the catch, knew he was running out of room and thinking too much about the feet. 

I'm very impressed with Fulgham thus far. I'm still not going to write it down for him being a bonafide #1, but I think at this point we can conclude at the very least, he can be a good #2 moving forward if not more.

Great find.

7 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I'm very impressed with Fulgham thus far. I'm still not going to write it down for him being a bonafide #1, but I think at this point we can conclude at the very least, he can be a good #2 moving forward if not more.

Great find.

It’s a sad day when even Swoop has become a hater!

Just now, Arsenal79 said:

It’s a sad day when even Swoop has become a hater!

I love me some HOFulgham, just being cautiously optimistic. 

While he had less yards, I gained more confidence he could keep it up and be consistently that good. His catch at the end of the half and then the catch and run down the sideline later in the game...I don't think this is a mirage.

19 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Kinda hard to contribute while injured. But I get your point.

30 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Kinda hard to contribute while injured. But I get your point.

Not sure there's much of a point... Reagor was injured after showing promise. Dillard was always going to sit last year. 

On 10/11/2020 at 5:21 PM, PoconoDon said:

Whenever a multiple castoff player is your best at a position, you need 2 or 3 better than him added to your roster. Howie's incompetence drives me nuts.

While this is often true... there are notable exceptions.  

Kurt Warner, multiple castoff, turned league and SB MVP. 
Jimmy Smith, our very own castoff, turned Pro Bowl WR in Jacksonville.

There are others, but you get the point.   And when the multiple castoff is a guy that has extenuating circumstances surrounding him, like Smith did with injuries or Fulgham with coming late to the game and is still learning technique, I think there is a reason for some cautious optimism.   Fulgham is clearly the best of our current healthy lot.  But, I think that he's a good starting point for rebuilding the WR corps.  He could be upgraded, but we have about 9 more games to find out how legit he really is, especially as other teams learn more about him and try to shut him down.  If he keeps producing, then he's likely got a place in this league, even if his place ultimately ends up as Ricky Proehl.  Dude just always made plays when his team needed him, even as the #4 WR.  Maybe that's Fulgham's upside.  Or, maybe since he's a little bigger than Proehl can be a little bit more than that.

On 10/11/2020 at 7:11 PM, brkmsn said:

It says we've had a lot of injuries at WR. The rest is just your narrative. We've had hits, we've had misses. You can dwell on one if you have to ... and you do ...

Lots of injuries, yes.  Foreseeable injuries, yes.  Injuries to players that Howie gave new extended contracts to and has bitten him in the as$ so that his other FA moves have to be limited (like finding quality LB help?) 

Howie found Fulgham - plus.
Howie signed Jeffery to an extension after the Super Bowl (Ok, give him a pass for SB euphoria)... Knock on Jeffery (among some others) was that he was injury prone.  We see that a little, and then Howie kicked the cost further down the road forcing us to keep him around this year and even next year, when he's finally gone, his salary cap figure will continue on.
Howie traded for a broken down version of Desean.  I loved Desean's time here the first time.  But, he's always had some soft tissue injury issues, and he's small.  And now to add to that he's 32.  That's a waiting game for injury.  It was doomed to happen.  BUT... Howie didn't just trade for him, he gave him a raise and extended his contract.  And when Desean is gone next year, his cap figure will also linger on.
Howie drafted Reagor.  Reagor got hurt.  Thats bad luck.  No one saw that injury coming.  

It's not all bad luck injuries at WR.  Jeffery and Desean were obvious.  And ironically, without them on the roster, this team could have signed Robbie Anderson this offseason instead, and likely would have been able to draft my guy in the first round - Justin Jefferson - instead of needing to find a 'speed guy'.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Lots of injuries, yes.  Foreseeable injuries, yes.  Injuries to players that Howie gave new extended contracts to and has bitten him in the as$ so that his other FA moves have to be limited (like finding quality LB help?) 

Howie found Fulgham - plus.
Howie signed Jeffery to an extension after the Super Bowl (Ok, give him a pass for SB euphoria)... Knock on Jeffery (among some others) was that he was injury prone.  We see that a little, and then Howie kicked the cost further down the road forcing us to keep him around this year and even next year, when he's finally gone, his salary cap figure will continue on.
Howie traded for a broken down version of Desean.  I loved Desean's time here the first time.  But, he's always had some soft tissue injury issues, and he's small.  And now to add to that he's 32.  That's a waiting game for injury.  It was doomed to happen.  BUT... Howie didn't just trade for him, he gave him a raise and extended his contract.  And when Desean is gone next year, his cap figure will also linger on.
Howie drafted Reagor.  Reagor got hurt.  Thats bad luck.  No one saw that injury coming.  

It's not all bad luck injuries at WR.  Jeffery and Desean were obvious.  And ironically, without them on the roster, this team could have signed Robbie Anderson this offseason instead, and likely would have been able to draft my guy in the first round - Justin Jefferson - instead of needing to find a 'speed guy'.

People look back on Alshon's games played and forget that in 2016, he didn't miss those games due to injuries, but due to the suspension. He had a broken hand his rookie year and  was placed on IR in 2015. But there was no "injury prone" knock on Jeffery. If anything, people were a little concerned about him failing another PED test and getting the big suspension. That was the "knock." I just wanted to clear that up. I do agree with some of what you said. Injuries were and still are a concern obviously. That's why we (probably wrongly) decided to draft JJAW over Metcalf.

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

While this is often true... there are notable exceptions.  

Kurt Warner, multiple castoff, turned league and SB MVP. 
Jimmy Smith, our very own castoff, turned Pro Bowl WR in Jacksonville.

There are others, but you get the point.   And when the multiple castoff is a guy that has extenuating circumstances surrounding him, like Smith did with injuries or Fulgham with coming late to the game and is still learning technique, I think there is a reason for some cautious optimism.   Fulgham is clearly the best of our current healthy lot.  But, I think that he's a good starting point for rebuilding the WR corps.  He could be upgraded, but we have about 9 more games to find out how legit he really is, especially as other teams learn more about him and try to shut him down.  If he keeps producing, then he's likely got a place in this league, even if his place ultimately ends up as Ricky Proehl.  Dude just always made plays when his team needed him, even as the #4 WR.  Maybe that's Fulgham's upside.  Or, maybe since he's a little bigger than Proehl can be a little bit more than that.

I want nothing more than for Fulgham to be another notable exception. I firmly believe though, that an exception to a rule doesn't create a new rule, it just provides an exception. Outliers are merely outliers to me. They're interesting but don't really move the needle for me at all.

Still, if Fulgham turns out to be the equal of Ricky Proehl or better, I'd be quite happy about the Eagles finding him. To me, the next step either way for the position group, is to identify and add a WR (or two) better than he is in the upcoming off season. 

Archived