Board technical issues

Moderator12

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Did the facebook embedding ever get fixed? I just stopped posting facebook links. I guess I could test it out to see if it's working now

Not yet, as far as I know, but I've contacted someone about doing an upgrade (which will require a re-skin, most likely, to keep our current look). Once the upgrade is done, that'll likely fix that issue. I just haven't had the time to deal with that. Upgrades always make me nervous, because you never know what might go wrong. :ph34r:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Not yet, as far as I know, but I've contacted someone about doing an upgrade (which will require a re-skin, most likely, to keep our current look). Once the upgrade is done, that'll likely fix that issue. I just haven't had the time to deal with that. Upgrades always make me nervous, because you never know what might go wrong. :ph34r:

Everything should be fine if you let Edwin take care of the upgrade for us. 

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2022 at 3:09 PM, Doc S. said:

I didn't expect you to be constantly monitoring this thread for issues, just tagged you afterwards to give you a heads up. :-)

I never had the problem with Facebook or Youtube posts, only those pesky tweets.

If their server is going to go off the reservation every time it gets loaded, we should think about cutting off it's adult beverages...:smoke:

Tweets always do that, whether I'm on laptop or mobile (both on Chrome) they load an empty "shell" of the tweet and then the actual image and text appear.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:42 PM, HazletonEagle said:

Everything should be fine if you let Edwin take care of the upgrade for us. 

Trigger warning!

On 2/14/2022 at 5:13 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Is there a test environment or sandbox for upgrades?  Or a back out/revert option?

I'd be curious what the list of upgrades would include to see if it's worth it or not.  If there are improved security and performance and some additional features that'd be nice.  But if it's not much and we're just able to embed Facebook posts...

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Is there a test environment or sandbox for upgrades?  Or a back out/revert option?

I'd be curious what the list of upgrades would include to see if it's worth it or not.  If there are improved security and performance and some additional features that'd be nice.  But if it's not much and we're just able to embed Facebook posts...

There's a list of things that the upgrade fixes and adds. Some backend, some frontend. I don't recall what they are at the moment, but I think it would fix some of the little issues that we have had with things like Facebook embedding and so on. 

They allow one 'test board' for upgrading and such, but I don't recall there being a 'revert' option. You just have to have a full backup of everything and if something goes bad, restore the backup... which includes the database because the upgrade alters the database and that can't be reverted, it just has to be restored. 

I've already contacted the man that did the EMB skin, and when the time comes, I'll have him to the upgrade. I could do it, I've done it before. But right now, I just can't focus on everything that needs to be done, then if something goes wrong, fix it all. Plus, an upgrade is almost certain to break the skin, and he'll re-skin it with the upgrade to keep everything uniform and consistent. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 6:48 PM, NOTW said:

Tweets always do that, whether I'm on laptop or mobile (both on Chrome) they load an empty "shell" of the tweet and then the actual image and text appear.

Trigger warning!

Yeah, no. That's not the behavior issue I  was having. The entire page would jump up and down as each tweet on that page loaded, sometimes taking ten to twenty seconds for all tweets to load and the page to settle back down on the first post. I'm familiar with normal page processes and that weren't it, and I'm using Firefox, not Chrome.

Perhaps you didn't read the original post describing the condition?

Anyway, the situation has resolved, as I said.  

• 2 weeks later...

The board has been really slow for me lately..... Is that a problem for anyone else?

On 4/20/2020 at 7:31 PM, Moderator12 said:

To help me out, if you run into any issues, please post them in this thread so I have one single place to look for and track bugs.

Not sure where to post this, so here seems like a place.  The Mod's should have a thread for suggestions on how to improve the board.

For example, my suggestion is doing something about the posters who show up once a month, think they have some ground breaking topic, and then never even post a reply to the discussion which usually goes off the rails in those topics.  Starting a thread should be a privilege, not a right.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Not sure where to post this, so here seems like a place.  The Mod's should have a thread for suggestions on how to improve the board.

For example, my suggestion is doing something about the posters who show up once a month, think they have some ground breaking topic, and then never even post a reply to the discussion which usually goes off the rails in those topics.  Starting a thread should be a privilege, not a right.

I've thought since the old board that thread starting should come with a minimal post count or a specific time since being registered.

33 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I've thought since the old board that thread starting should come with a minimal post count or a specific time since being registered.

This thread is a good example.  On top of the bad thread, the numbers are incorrect.  Has 5 million for the rookie pool, when it is 15.7 million.

https://www.eaglesmessageboard.com/topic/5623-day-2-tells-us-howie-is-shopping-for-bargains/

On 3/15/2022 at 7:33 PM, downundermike said:

I think posting ideas here is fine. We don't have many technical issues anyway.

The initial goal was to mimic the old boards as much as possible. Then we evolved a little bit. Limits on starting topics discourages engagement. We have a lot less posters here and more a community of long time members. We don't really get that many new people starting topics, and as you've seen we merge duplicates or move trash to RnR. 

People generally stick to existing topics or the blog. I think it's working fine, and I've even let some more topics stay in TATE during offseason without much happening. 

Just now, Moderator6 said:

I think posting ideas here is fine. We don't have many technical issues anyway.

The initial goal was to mimic the old boards as much as possible. Then we evolved a little bit. Limits on starting topics discourages engagement. We have a lot less posters here and more a community of long time members. We don't really get that many new people starting topics, and as you've seen we merge duplicates or move trash to RnR. 

People generally stick to existing topics or the blog. I think it's working fine, and I've even let some more topics stay in TATE during offseason without much happening. 

You obviously know who I am referring to with this post, your new friend @JP HOF.

I am all for topics, but these guys who fly by once a month and post something that has already been discussed at length is just ridiculous.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

You obviously know who I am referring to with this post, your new friend @JP HOF.

I am all for topics, but these guys who fly by once a month and post something that has already been discussed at length is just ridiculous.

It's a post once in awhile that gets dealt with, not a need to make changes to board settings. Just my opinion. 

On 11/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

@Moe Greene, do you know approximately what your old post count was on the old EMB? You don't have to be super accurate, but that will give me an idea of where within the archive to look for you. 

Hi, thank you! I believe it was in the neighborhood of 6 or 7,000. but if you can find it exactly, any silly number like negative 3 million is fine. This board has been too much a part of my life to be a newbie. 

5 minutes ago, Moe Greene said:

Hi, thank you! I believe it was in the neighborhood of 6 or 7,000. but if you can find it exactly, any silly number like negative 3 million is fine. This board has been too much a part of my life to be a newbie. 

3 Million works for me, but did anyone mention the per-post surcharge that I require? It's normally $1 per post, but for you, I'll cut you a break... $0.50 per post. But only if you act today!

• 2 months later...

When on a mobile device I can’t upload pictures or gifs, get a "you are only allowed to upload up to 92.16kB” message, but I can upload the same thing thing if I use desktop. Started about two weeks ago. 

It's weird how I can click share and copy the facebook posts links and paste it in another forum but not this one. I can't even get the link to show when I paste in here. I have to go to a browser on my phone and paste it there and then copy the link again to be able to paste it here and it doesn't embed

So I know it's not on facebooks side or mine

Seems like everything changed recently when uploading images. Only options I have is "insert existing image” or "insert image from URL”. Can’t upload anything else 

13 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Seems like everything changed recently when uploading images. Only options I have is "insert existing image” or "insert image from URL”. Can’t upload anything else 

Each member has an upload allowance in the board's overall storage space. Looks like you've reached your full upload allowance (almost 1 GB). 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Each member has an upload allowance in the board's overall storage space. Looks like you've reached your full upload allowance (almost 1 GB). 

Whoops. Is there anyway I can clear any of it or the older stuff? 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Whoops. Is there anyway I can clear any of it or the older stuff? 

Up at the top righthand corner of the forum page, do you see your username and avatar? Click that and a dropdown should open up. In there, click "My Attachments". That will open up a page where you can see all of your uploads. You can go through them and put a check mark next to any that you want to delete.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 11:29 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Up at the top righthand corner of the forum page, do you see your username and avatar? Click that and a dropdown should open up. In there, click "My Attachments". That will open up a page where you can see all of your uploads. You can go through them and put a check mark next to any that you want to delete.

Does that delete the post as well?

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

Does that delete the post as well?

No, just the attachment itself. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good morning.  

My apologies ahead of time, but I just recently got back in the boards after not realizing things got different. I was told that I could have my original statistics added back to this account.  I was EagleRob30 or EagleRob40 back then,  and I had joined a very long time ago and should have over 1000 posts to that account, but don't hook me to a lie detector. Is there anyway to update  my account?

Thanks so much!!! 

1 minute ago, EagleRob said:

Good morning.  

My apologies ahead of time, but I just recently got back in the boards after not realizing things got different. I was told that I could have my original statistics added back to this account.  I was EagleRob30 or EagleRob40 back then,  and I had joined a very long time ago and should have over 1000 posts to that account, but don't hook me to a lie detector. Is there anyway to update  my account?

Thanks so much!!! 

Did you archive or screen shot your previous stats before the previous board was deleted ??