Board technical issues

Moderator12

4 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Hurts thread it seems.  

Interesting. It only happened to me in the previous blog.

Ok, only just now have I experienced the slow posting in the Hurts thread. 

4 hours ago, b_west3 said:

I can't believe I look forward to watching this...

Every week 🙄. Hopefully next week is different but I’ll believe it when I see it.

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

@VaBeach_Eagle it's certain topics. Hurts topic, GDT, but i noticed other topics I could post easily even during the game.

It's not the server, I believe it's because the database has grown to more than a million posts now. There's some things we can do to fix that, which involves archiving some things, which will keep the archived posts available to read but will move them to an archive database and lighten the load on the main database. 

I began some of the work on that, while I couldn't stand to even look at the game. So it was a nice distraction. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's not the server, I believe it's because the database has grown to more than a million posts now. There's some things we can do to fix that, which involves archiving some things, which will keep the archived posts available to read but will move them to an archive database and lighten the load on the main database. 

I began some of the work on that, while I couldn't stand to even look at the game. So it was a nice distraction. 

Does it have anything to do with the number of people viewing/posting in the most active topics?  

Maybe archiving older or lesser used topics will free up the "bandwidth" so to speak? 

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Does it have anything to do with the number of people viewing/posting in the most active topics?  

Maybe archiving older or lesser used topics will free up the "bandwidth" so to speak? 

Activity in a thread would play a part, yes. But that's due to the overall size of the database and the added time that it takes for the software to do everything that it has to do to display threads and posts and add posts and perform searches and all of that. 

If we had 100,000 overall posts on the board, it wouldn't be a big deal. But being over a million, it just slows things down. I'm sure there's other factors involved, and maybe even getting the board upgraded may also improve things. But we'll start with archiving old posts that have no further reason to be 'active' in the database. Things like old Blog threads and old Gameday Threads. 

On the old EMB, they use to go on and delete A LOT of posts, to keep the database more manageable, but that was before there was an archive feature.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Activity in a thread would play a part, yes. But that's due to the overall size of the database and the added time that it takes for the software to do everything that it has to do to display threads and posts and add posts and perform searches and all of that. 

If we had 100,000 overall posts on the board, it wouldn't be a big deal. But being over a million, it just slows things down. I'm sure there's other factors involved, and maybe even getting the board upgraded may also improve things. But we'll start with archiving old posts that have no further reason to be 'active' in the database. Things like old Blog threads and old Gameday Threads. 

On the old EMB, they use to go on and delete A LOT of posts, to keep the database more manageable, but that was before there was an archive feature.  

Sounds good. 

Hey, we hit a milestone with a million posts :towel:

20 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Sounds good. 

Hey, we hit a milestone with a million posts :towel:

We actually did that several months ago, we're now at 1,116,397.

• Like 1

On the old board, Mod5 would usually lock and move the GDTs to the 411 after a few days. That could be an option, or delete the ones from previous seasons entirely. 

9 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

On the old board, Mod5 would usually lock and move the GDTs to the 411 after a few days. That could be an option, or delete the ones from previous seasons entirely. 

It's all the same database though. Be it CVON or TATE. Also, I'd rather not delete anything. The archive tool was added to the software for this very reason. It moves old threads from one database to another but keeps them available for reading (but not posting), and if something comes up where a thread is again relevant for posting, it can be unarchived. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, downundermike said:

@Moderator12 any way to enable the search function in the archived threads ??

Unfortunately, since the archive is a different database, the search function doesn't work on it. 

@VaBeach_Eagle not a big deal, but clicking the emoji icon & selecting is really slow & lags. 

Pretty much no one uses all the newer emojis, just the classic EMB ones. Would hiding the full options improve performance? 

12 minutes ago, NOTW said:

@VaBeach_Eagle not a big deal, but clicking the emoji icon & selecting is really slow & lags. 

Pretty much no one uses all the newer emojis, just the classic EMB ones. Would hiding the full options improve performance? 

Agreed.  Get rid of all those other ones.

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

I'm not against doing that. I just did a test, to see how slow it was, and they popped in almost immediately. But maybe there were a lot more people on the board when you were posting this?

@Moderator12 set those up back before we opened the board for members to join, so I'll give him a voice in this also. Like I said, I don't have a problem with removing some, most or even all of them. 

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm not against doing that. I just did a test, to see how slow it was, and they popped in almost immediately. But maybe there were a lot more people on the board when you were posting this?

@Moderator12 set those up back before we opened the board for members to join, so I'll give him a voice in this also. Like I said, I don't have a problem with removing some, most or even all of them. 

It's always slow, not just high activity. 

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

It's always slow, not just high activity. 

How are you accessing, on a phone or a PC? For me (on a PC), they open up in less than a second. 

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

How are you accessing, on a phone or a PC? For me (on a PC), they open up in less than a second. 

Usually mobile. Opens in about 2-3 seconds usually, but then feeezes up. Pick 1 then wait, sometimes it adds other emojis, takes too long to go away.

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Usually mobile. Opens in about 2-3 seconds usually, but then feeezes up. Pick 1 then wait, sometimes it adds other emojis, takes too long to go away.

We can definitely address it. I may be able to see which are least used and which are most used... but I don't know if that's an option or not. 

• Like 1