Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

20Safety_Hazards

11 hours ago, NOTW said:

I mean if you went into this expecting a typical comic book show with action and "pew pew" you didn't pay attention to the trailers or marketing. But it's going to get there as shown in the trailer with military tanks, Wanda and Vision in current day clothes flying off and using their powers.  

Trailers had the hulk runing through a Wakandan forest in infinity war.....

Not saying what you said wont happen, just remember MCU has a tendancy to mislead you in the trailers to protect the plot

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

16 minutes ago, paco said:

Trailers had the hulk runing through a Wakandan forest in infinity war.....

Not saying what you said wont happen, just remember MCU has a tendancy to mislead you in the trailers to protect the plot

Well, Bruce instead was running through Wakanda in the Hulk Buster armor, so that's a small difference disguising a plot point.  They still had a war in Wakanda.  

People are complaining that there is too much sitcom stuff when the trailers showed her going through each decade of sitcoms.  Feige in what I posted above noted it will get into action but it's a slow build.

11 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

regardless of what the trailers showed, it has stunk up to now. period. you seem to like it more and also seem hell bent to defend it. knock yourself out with that. 

No, I just point out the logic of some of the complaints. I've had criticism of it as well.  You seem overly annoyed and make emotional posts like this at me for some reason.  I've said several times it's understandable if people simply don't like the show, aren't into it, and don't care for the sitcom stuff.  You've also ranged from saying it sucks, is really bad, down to it stunk then it's meh and you think it will get better and you're invested.  

But the show was advertised as what it is:  a take on classic sitcoms, an experimental type show that was like nothing Marvel had done before and the trailers showed the corny sitcom stuff but also showed it wasn't real and it starts to unravel and become the real world.  So it's dumb o complain that the show is "silly" when it's supposed to be silly.  It's like complaining that a hospital show has too much medical stuff in it.  Well that's what it is.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

Well, Bruce instead was running through Wakanda in the Hulk Buster armor, so that's a small difference disguising a plot point.  They still had a war in Wakanda.  

People are complaining that there is too much sitcom stuff when the trailers showed her going through each decade of sitcoms.  Feige in what I posted above noted it will get into action but it's a slow build.

Also it was an open plain and not the forest.

Also the infinity stones were changed.  If memory serves me, he was on Titan missing the power stone and reality stone.

But yes, the overall trailer was true to the movie.  My point is simply that marvel DOES manipulate folks on purpose by changing or adding things to the trailer that are not in the movie.  The scene you reference could be either modified (no tanks, for example) or something completely different. 

Edit:  Found a link that lists a lot of changes

I think there's 2 ways people look at this show. Some people look at it like it's a classic tv show and that each episode is indicative of the show as a whole, which is fair because that's how it was advertised. If you look at it that way, it's been a wierd and slow show. 

Then there's people who view it as a long movie that's been broken up into 9 parts. This is closer to what it should be looked at as, and probably how they should advertise it. If this was a typical marvel movie at 2.5 hours long, we've basically seen the first 25 minutes. If you look at it this way, it's done a good job of world building so far, and when it all comes crashing down, these first few episodes will be much more rewarding.

2 hours ago, paco said:

Also it was an open plain and not the forest.

Also the infinity stones were changed.  If memory serves me, he was on Titan missing the power stone and reality stone.

But yes, the overall trailer was true to the movie.  My point is simply that marvel DOES manipulate folks on purpose by changing or adding things to the trailer that are not in the movie.  The scene you reference could be either modified (no tanks, for example) or something completely different. 

Edit:  Found a link that lists a lot of changes

Ok...you're debating certain details, I'm debating the entire theme of the TV show.  It's not an issue of oh they showed tanks in the trailer and it ends up only being police cars.

People here and on social media are complaining because they don't "get" the sitcom thing and that's literally the entire point of the series and the trailers and marketing is that Wanda is stuck in a fantasy sitcom world...but it's not real.  

If people hate that, or just meh about it, or they're just not feeling it that's understandable.  But to complain that it's a silly sitcom or not like the black and white, or the hokey acting, etc...that's all the point of the show's style.  

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Ok...you're debating certain details, I'm debating the entire theme of the TV show.  It's not an issue of oh they showed tanks in the trailer and it ends up only being police cars.

People here and on social media are complaining because they don't "get" the sitcom thing and that's literally the entire point of the series and the trailers and marketing is that Wanda is stuck in a fantasy sitcom world...but it's not real.  

If people hate that, or just meh about it, or they're just not feeling it that's understandable.  But to complain that it's a silly sitcom or not like the black and white, or the hokey acting, etc...that's all the point of the show's style.  

Exactly. I actually think they knocked it out of park in recreation of the shows. I just think it’s really boring and not engaging outside of the two seconds of mystery. 

12 minutes ago, homerpat said:

Exactly. I actually think they knocked it out of park in recreation of the shows. I just think it’s really boring and not engaging outside of the two seconds of mystery. 

That was my criticism with the first 2.  I had mixed feelings because they did a great job with the spoof of the sitcoms, and I hadn't seen Olsen acting like that it's very different than in the movies, to her credit.  It was very well done in that regard.  But I did expect just a little bit more of the reality breaking through.  However, they put 2 episodes out so in the 2nd there was more of that reality and twilight zone "something isn't right" vibe.  Knowing from the trailer that it goes to color and goes through all the decades and knowing the number of episodes in the season it was easier to be patient and see how it unfolds.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

That was my criticism with the first 2.  I had mixed feelings because they did a great job with the spoof of the sitcoms, and I hadn't seen Olsen acting like that it's very different than in the movies, to her credit.  It was very well done in that regard.  But I did expect just a little bit more of the reality breaking through.  However, they put 2 episodes out so in the 2nd there was more of that reality and twilight zone "something isn't right" vibe.  Knowing from the trailer that it goes to color and goes through all the decades and knowing the number of episodes in the season it was easier to be patient and see how it unfolds.  

Which is why I’m just waiting a few weeks to binge a couple more. I want to like it

On 1/24/2021 at 9:29 AM, homerpat said:

The issue is this. Say this wasn’t Marvel and we didn’t have dozens of hours of content and source comics to have a sense as to what might or might not happen. If it was a brand new character this show would be cancelled last week. It only gets benefit of the doubt due to Marvel

this is false. I have watched the first season of Parks & Rec. that show is HOT GARBAGE!!! I've even had tons of people who are the most obsessed die hard fans admit the first season sucks. Supposedly season 2 on is stellar. Well you know what, I've never watched that far, because the first season (which was a weekly release with brand new characters not having the benefit of a franchise to pull from) was so awful that the show never deserved to have a 2nd season created. But here we are in a world that probably has half a dozen seasons of that thing. 

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

this is false. I have watched the first season of Parks & Rec. that show is HOT GARBAGE!!! I've even had tons of people who are the most obsessed die hard fans admit the first season sucks. Supposedly season 2 on is stellar. Well you know what, I've never watched that far, because the first season (which was a weekly release with brand new characters not having the benefit of a franchise to pull from) was so awful that the show never deserved to have a 2nd season created. But here we are in a world that probably has half a dozen seasons of that thing. 

Going off topic but I love Parks and Rec.  But yes the first season was kinda boring.  I knew going in that it was made by some of the same creators as The Office.  Both shows were installed in the Spring with 6 episodes only in the first season.  Both shows those first 6 episodes were not as good as later seasons.  Both shows ended up shaking up the cast or changing characters altogether.  Parks and Rec dumped the boring city planner Mark.  Season 2 was better, then when they added Rob Lowe and Adam Scott they were great additions as well.  The show took off.  It's not for everyone, I know fans of The Office who have re-watched it multiple times but couldn't get into Parks and Rec.

The Office started out gloomy and boring with dry humor like the British version.  Michael was more of a jerk and had slicked back hair and was a sleeze ball. Kelly was a conservative shy Indian immigrant who dressed very modest and covered up and was very quiet.  All of a sudden she became a pop culture loving airhead singing and dancing and dressing sexy and different hair and makeup.  They made Michael more likeable and less of a jerk.

There are a lots of shows that take time to find their groove, adjust the characters, realize that certain characters are resonating with the audience.  There have been examples of characters that were supposed to be killed off or have short story arcs over only limited episodes but audiences like them and they write them in to stay long-term.

Having said that, with WandaVision there is pre-existing material from the movies.  And they're doing the same with Loki, Falcon and Winter Soldier and Hawkeye.  Established world, characters and even the same film actors is pretty cool.  Not sure that's really been done before. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes in keeping with the setting and the sitcom theming while giving a sense of underlying dread and creepiness like the Truman Show.  Of course, this is purely based upon the fact that I am expecting a big payoff to the world-building that is going on.  MCU has rarely let me down, so i'm totally on board so far.

16 hours ago, NOTW said:

No, I just point out the logic of some of the complaints. I've had criticism of it as well.  You seem overly annoyed and make emotional posts like this at me for some reason.  I've said several times it's understandable if people simply don't like the show, aren't into it, and don't care for the sitcom stuff.  You've also ranged from saying it sucks, is really bad, down to it stunk then it's meh and you think it will get better and you're invested.  

But the show was advertised as what it is:  a take on classic sitcoms, an experimental type show that was like nothing Marvel had done before and the trailers showed the corny sitcom stuff but also showed it wasn't real and it starts to unravel and become the real world.  So it's dumb o complain that the show is "silly" when it's supposed to be silly.  It's like complaining that a hospital show has too much medical stuff in it.  Well that's what it is.

you know, the show could be silly and not suck. they just missed the mark up to this point. also to be clear, the first two episodes really sucked IMO. the 3rd was meh and sure, Im going to stay in it as long as i can because i still have faith it will get better. 

lastly, yes i have been annoyed over this, but not with you. we're just having a convo about the show. sorry if my nerd emotion is coming through. :ph34r: 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

you know, the show could be silly and not suck. they just missed the mark up to this point. also to be clear, the first two episodes really sucked IMO. the 3rd was meh and sure, Im going to stay in it as long as i can because i still have faith it will get better. 

lastly, yes i have been annoyed over this, but not with you. we're just having a convo about the show. sorry if my nerd emotion is coming through. :ph34r: 

Good because:

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Looks like we’re going to start getting some more answers...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Looks like we’re going to start getting some more answers...

So Monica grew up and ends up partner with Park who was the FBI agent in Ant-Man and then investigates Wanda and Vision.  Small world.  

i guess they will show how she got her powers or did i miss something in capt marvel ? also, if i remeber correctly, she was the 2nd capt marvel. 

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

So Monica grew up and ends up partner with Park who was the FBI agent in Ant-Man and then investigates Wanda and Vision.  Small world.  

I mean it wouldn’t surprise me if SWORD goes out of its way to recruit people with experience with and established relationships to super heroes. I can’t imagine that universe is that large. 

4 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i guess they will show how she got her powers or did i miss something in capt marvel ? also, if i remeber correctly, she was the 2nd capt marvel. 

What powers?

In the comics she has energy powers kind of like Captain Marvel. She has super speed when she takes her "energy form” and and she can absorb and return energy blasts. 

we have no idea if or when she get those powers in the MCU. Right now we only know that’s who she is.

44 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

In the comics she has energy powers kind of like Captain Marvel. She has super speed when she takes her "energy form” and and she can absorb and return energy blasts. 

we have no idea if or when she get those powers in the MCU. Right now we only know that’s who she is.

Interesting.  In the ad you posted, she's touching an energy field.  In the comics, doesn't Wanda create the X-Men or something?  Could Wanda end up creating powers for Monica?  She got her power from an Infinity Stone, so did Marvel.  

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

In the comics, doesn't Wanda create the X-Men or something?  

She pretty much wipes the majority of them out.