Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

20Safety_Hazards

On 1/19/2021 at 1:48 PM, NOTW said:

Did you watch the trailer?  

I saw the trailer and had no desire to even give it my 10 minute trial run. It looks completely ridiculous. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOTW

• 20Safety_Hazards

• UK_EaglesFan89

• Boogyman

16 hours ago, Gannan said:

I saw the trailer and had no desire to even give it my 10 minute trial run. It looks completely ridiculous. 

the show should def get much better, i mean it cant get any worse than the initial two episodes. 

Honestly, was expecting more from the 3rd episode.  I get the setting the stage and drawing things out to build up suspense and mystery, but something needs to give next episode.

Oh I thought the third episode was great. I’m so torn right now between Wanda is the villian vs Wanda is being manipulated. But this episode in particular had a very Twigbt Zone "It’s a Good Day” vibe to it. 

I get that people want to get further into the story, but each episode her world has crumbled a little more and to a greater degree. I have enjoyed the slow roll out personally. 

Also, I’m really curious about Vision. At first I thought he’s an illusion; but tonight’s episode suggests he has his own conscious apart from Wanda so maybe he’s been brought back? 

1 hour ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Oh I thought the third episode was great. I’m so torn right now between Wanda is the villian vs Wanda is being manipulated. But this episode in particular had a very Twigbt Zone "It’s a Good Day” vibe to it. 

I get that people want to get further into the story, but each episode her world has crumbled a little more and to a greater degree. I have enjoyed the slow roll out personally. 

Also, I’m really curious about Vision. At first I thought he’s an illusion; but tonight’s episode suggests he has his own conscious apart from Wanda so maybe he’s been brought back? 

You said you heard there was Emmy talk with this episode. I didn't see it, but overall she's doing a nice acting job.

The Truman Show/Twilight Zone vibe did ramp up more this week. I don't love it, but it's entertaining. 

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

You said you heard there was Emmy talk with this episode. I didn't see it, but overall she's doing a nice acting job.

The Truman Show/Twilight Zone vibe did ramp up more this week. I don't love it, but it's entertaining. 

Not necessarily with this episode. Some reviewers are saying her performance in this show should warrant consideration. Though that turn she makes when Geraldine talks about her brother was genuinely creepy.

2 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Not necessarily with this episode. Some reviewers are saying her performance in this show should warrant consideration. Though that turn she makes when Geraldine talks about her brother was genuinely creepy.

There's definitely the sense of holding her back so she doesn't do something crazy...

...like create a Multiverse of Madness resulting in multiple Spider-Mans and Doctor Strange has to fix it in his movie.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

Obviously the Wikandan veneer technology.

Like someone else said, sword is afraid she’s going to go berserk, and has created these fantasy worlds to keep her from killing everyone.

Same complaints as the mandalorian early on and look how that turned out. That being said I may wait until the whole season is out before watching it, just to binge it

The cracks in the world get bigger and bigger as the show goes on. This is world building and it's what separates actually good shows from slop where you turn your brain off and watch.

Streaming really has spoiled a ton of people who apparently don't remember what it was like to watch television shows weekly instead of 20 hours in a row. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, devpool said:

The cracks in the world get bigger and bigger as the show goes on. This is world building and it's what separates actually good shows from slop where you turn your brain off and watch.

Streaming really has spoiled a ton of people who apparently don't remember what it was like to watch television shows weekly instead of 20 hours in a row. 

The issue is this. Say this wasn’t Marvel and we didn’t have dozens of hours of content and source comics to have a sense as to what might or might not happen. If it was a brand new character this show would be cancelled last week. It only gets benefit of the doubt due to Marvel

54 minutes ago, homerpat said:

The issue is this. Say this wasn’t Marvel and we didn’t have dozens of hours of content and source comics to have a sense as to what might or might not happen. If it was a brand new character this show would be cancelled last week. It only gets benefit of the doubt due to Marvel

But it’s because they have all of the source material and two dozen movies already made that they are able to do this. So that’s not a problem, it’s a benefit. 

2 hours ago, Weaponx01 said:

But it’s because they have all of the source material and two dozen movies already made that they are able to do this. So that’s not a problem, it’s a benefit. 

I am referencing the spoiled aspect of streaming. If I didn’t know Marvel had a phenomenal track record, there’s no chance I’d watch this past the first 2 subpar episodes. That was my point

• Like 1

3 hours ago, homerpat said:

Well, that's just it. A new show with no prior content is a bad comparison. This is 2 movie characters we've seen before. And the trailer and promotions for it are obvious that the sitcom world isn't real. So yes, built in Marvel audience allows to tell the story a certain way that you wouldn't normally. 

I do think they could have done more of "the real world" in the first 2 episodes, but shows have a slow burn to them. Other shows get praise for slow burn and not spelling everything out right away. 

Ultimately it's about execution, writing, character development and how it's shot. The production quality here is very good. We know these characters and that allows patience. 

But, not every show or movie is going to be everyone's cup of tea. I expect the Falcon and Winter Soldier show to be more of what fans will expect from a comic book tv show. I also think had that been the first content on Disney it would have scratched the itch for MCU content then maybe Wandavision would be received differently. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, homerpat said:

If it was a brand new character they would have started it differently. Marvel has a fanbase so large they have the luxury of being able to make shows like this without it hurting them because people will watch. And if someone watches this without knowing who they are they can either not watch or or research the character. But seeing as how they've been on the MCU for what 5 years now? More? And those movies made billions of dollars they can start this show the way they want

@homerpat it's like they read your comments 😃

MCU exec producer Kevin Feige and show creator Jac Schaeffer address their approach to the show.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/wandavision-kevin-feige-faith-patient-marvel-fans-rewarded-slow-start/

WandaVision creator Jac Schaeffer reveals Marvel Studios president and producer Kevin Feige has "a lot of faith in the fans" to be patient with a slowly-unraveling mystery that turns into an action-packed Marvel movie.

"[The pacing] was always a question. It was mapped out pretty thoroughly early on," Schaeffer told THR's TV's Top 5 podcast. "When I first got the job I reached out for advice, and a lot of the people that I spoke to were like, 'The pilot is so important because you're finding the voices and you're finding the story,' and that just does not apply to us. Because that's not what that is. Obviously, these characters have existed, so much of the mythology exists, and it was all mapped out like a feature."

Schaeffer, whose Marvel credits include Captain Marvel and Black Widow, adds Feige wholly supported the slow-burn mystery seeping into each episode of WandaVision.

"To his credit — and it's one of the reasons that I love working for him — he referred to it as 'playing chicken with the audience' (laughs). He really wanted to see how long we could hang onto it, and there was a lot of discussion about how long we could hang onto black-and-white because we knew we would go to color," Schaeffer said of Feige. "That was always a piece that's involved in the larger story. So it was really wonderful that he allowed us to really sink into the sitcom and to really delay the gratification."

Delayed gratification meant "the sitcom stuff had to be good," Schaeffer said, referring to riffs on such classic sitcoms as The Dick Van Dyke Show and Bewitched.

"When we were putting the show together, we knew sort of what a lot of the really big moments would be, and they're mapped out. I wanted to start small," Schaeffer said. "Kevin was 100% in for doling it out slowly. And I think he also has a lot of faith in the fans and the Marvel audience, that they're so interested in paying attention and they know they'll be rewarded, so we started out slow."

It's for this reason that WandaVision couldn't be the next film out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, making the mix of Marvel Comics and classic sitcoms something that could only exist on television.

"[Marvel mini-series The Vision] is what led to me to say, 'Let's look at putting these two things together,' and doing what is now our first Disney+ series in a way that it couldn't just be a movie," Feige previously told Variety. "It's not just a long movie on Disney+. We will make shows that are like that, but for what is now our first one, it felt great to do something that could only be done for television."

• Like 1

No doubt that, with the addition of the Wanda-Vision twins, DC will feel pressure to add the Wonder Twins to their stable ASAP.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

@homerpat it's like they read your comments 😃

MCU exec producer Kevin Feige and show creator Jac Schaeffer address their approach to the show.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/wandavision-kevin-feige-faith-patient-marvel-fans-rewarded-slow-start/

WandaVision creator Jac Schaeffer reveals Marvel Studios president and producer Kevin Feige has "a lot of faith in the fans" to be patient with a slowly-unraveling mystery that turns into an action-packed Marvel movie.

"[The pacing] was always a question. It was mapped out pretty thoroughly early on," Schaeffer told THR's TV's Top 5 podcast. "When I first got the job I reached out for advice, and a lot of the people that I spoke to were like, 'The pilot is so important because you're finding the voices and you're finding the story,' and that just does not apply to us. Because that's not what that is. Obviously, these characters have existed, so much of the mythology exists, and it was all mapped out like a feature."

Schaeffer, whose Marvel credits include Captain Marvel and Black Widow, adds Feige wholly supported the slow-burn mystery seeping into each episode of WandaVision.

"To his credit — and it's one of the reasons that I love working for him — he referred to it as 'playing chicken with the audience' (laughs). He really wanted to see how long we could hang onto it, and there was a lot of discussion about how long we could hang onto black-and-white because we knew we would go to color," Schaeffer said of Feige. "That was always a piece that's involved in the larger story. So it was really wonderful that he allowed us to really sink into the sitcom and to really delay the gratification."

Delayed gratification meant "the sitcom stuff had to be good," Schaeffer said, referring to riffs on such classic sitcoms as The Dick Van Dyke Show and Bewitched.

"When we were putting the show together, we knew sort of what a lot of the really big moments would be, and they're mapped out. I wanted to start small," Schaeffer said. "Kevin was 100% in for doling it out slowly. And I think he also has a lot of faith in the fans and the Marvel audience, that they're so interested in paying attention and they know they'll be rewarded, so we started out slow."

It's for this reason that WandaVision couldn't be the next film out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, making the mix of Marvel Comics and classic sitcoms something that could only exist on television.

"[Marvel mini-series The Vision] is what led to me to say, 'Let's look at putting these two things together,' and doing what is now our first Disney+ series in a way that it couldn't just be a movie," Feige previously told Variety. "It's not just a long movie on Disney+. We will make shows that are like that, but for what is now our first one, it felt great to do something that could only be done for television."

Which is pretty much my assumption. They banked on goodwill of fans to go completely against the mold. An example I would parallel is Better Call Saul. Slow burn show of a character you know plenty about and let’s be real. Everyone ****ed about how slow it was. I personally loved it and was hooked immediately, but get the criticism. 

I appreciate that most here that are loving it are being adults and not just saying dumb crap like oh you just don’t get it. I’m sticking around, but probably waiting another few weeks to do next 3-4 in a row hoping it will draw me in a bit more. Marvel misses are relatively rare and even the misses are still not too bad. 

so the last episode wasn't as bad as the first two, but this still seems a bit silly. i assume it will pick up soon so im in it till the end. 

as it stands, marvel movies are far superior over dc films, but dc gets my nod when it comes to tv shows. 

25 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

so the last episode wasn't as bad as the first two, but this still seems a bit silly. i assume it will pick up soon so im in it till the end. 

as it stands, marvel movies are far superior over dc films, but dc gets my nod when it comes to tv shows. 

I get if people don't like the sitcom thing.  But it's supposed to be silly.  They are trapping her in a fantasy world where everything is happy and simple like classic sitcoms with cheesy acting, hokey lines, winks and nods and a Truman Show like suburbia.  The classic "uh oh the boss is coming for dinner" story, or keeping up with the perfect neighbor are Wanda's biggest problems in this fantasy world...then it starts to get weird as it turns to color, she's all of a sudden pregnant, losing control of her powers and the facade starts to strip away with neighbors acting weird, someone hitting rewind and reset on character's dialogue that goes off script, memory getting hazy, seeing things that are out of place.  

I mean if you went into this expecting a typical comic book show with action and "pew pew" you didn't pay attention to the trailers or marketing. But it's going to get there as shown in the trailer with military tanks, Wanda and Vision in current day clothes flying off and using their powers.  

Had this been a 2 hour movie and they did this fantasy would have been similar to the Matrix coming out of the fake world sooner.  Since it's TV, it's going to be spread out.

regardless of what the trailers showed, it has stunk up to now. period. you seem to like it more and also seem hell bent to defend it. knock yourself out with that. 

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

regardless of what the trailers showed, it has stunk up to now. period. you seem to like it more and also seem hell bent to defend it. knock yourself out with that. 

I think its excellent.

The sitcom aspect helps create the disoriented nature of her world, that, no matter how hard they try to sell it, something just isn't right.  Seems more wrong all the time.  Now that we've seen outside of that bubble, I'd imagine more and more of the show will take place outside of there.  I haven't thought it great so far, but it's got me interested to see where it's going.

32 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

I think its excellent.

thats fine. its all subjective. im not trying to deter others from watching it, just stating its been lacking so far for my own taste. 

8 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

The sitcom aspect helps create the disoriented nature of her world, that, no matter how hard they try to sell it, something just isn't right.  Seems more wrong all the time.  Now that we've seen outside of that bubble, I'd imagine more and more of the show will take place outside of there.  I haven't thought it great so far, but it's got me interested to see where it's going.

this is where im at on it. so far, meh, but im in it enough to keep watching and expect the show to take off.