Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

25 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It seems to me they don't care to get reps in preseason they are gun shy about injuries and they know this is an evaluation year.  

I don't understand why anyone cares about preseason except the players trying to make a team and coaches evaluating which useless players to cut. 

Does anyone honestly think 3 quarters of meaningless football in what 10 months or more? Is that going to actually do anything for any of the 1st string offense or defense? 

First few games always look like sheet doenst matter who is playing or how much preseason they had. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't understand why anyone cares about preseason except the players trying to make a team and coaches evaluating which useless players to cut. 

Does anyone honestly think 3 quarters of meaningless football in what 10 months or more? Is that going to actually do anything for any of the 1st string offense or defense? 

First few games always look like sheet doenst matter who is playing or how much preseason they had. 

The thinking is that some preseason reps help them shake off rust and get into game mode so they're ready for the regular season.  But yes majority of preseason is evaluating the roster and determining roster cuts.  Perhaps some position battles.  Also for the coaches trying out some plays and maybe learning what to tweak.  So it's useful for a number of things.  But it's not a predictor of regular season success, you can go undefeated in preseason that means nothing.

35 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Just get rid of it then and add the 18th game already.

47 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The thinking is that some preseason reps help them shake off rust and get into game mode so they're ready for the regular season.  But yes majority of preseason is evaluating the roster and determining roster cuts.  Perhaps some position battles.  Also for the coaches trying out some plays and maybe learning what to tweak.  So it's useful for a number of things.  But it's not a predictor of regular season success, you can go undefeated in preseason that means nothing.

This is a case of fans not even believing the players when they say they get more out of practice and joint practice then any preseason game. Also another reason to already hate the coach. 

6 hours ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Just get rid of it then and add the 18th game already.

I want it back to 16

I guess I look at it differently than most in here. To me this whole season is an evaluation time, so I don’t really care if they decide to sit the starters in the final preseason game. As far as I’m concerned the real eval is the 17 game regular season. 

On 8/24/2021 at 9:16 AM, EagleVA said:

OK, I get it, this is upwriting as in "uptalk".

It's the silliiest thing I've ever heard, as stated in the video, it gives he impression that you're not sure if what came out of your mouth makes any sense what-so-ever.

That is how most of Australia talks. 

52 minutes ago, mihailo said:

That is how most of Australia talks. 

It seems to be in vogue in America now and it's the stupidest soundig thing I've ever heard, it's like ending a statement with. ..."does that make sense", that another trend that gets on my nerves, everytime someone says it I want to say, "hell Fiing no it doesnt make sense because you make no sense!!"

On 8/26/2021 at 12:22 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

This is a case of fans not even believing the players when they say they get more out of practice and joint practice then any preseason game. Also another reason to already hate the coach. 

When you see other teams like the Chiefs playing their MVP caliber quarterback while the Eagles haven’t played their guys if makes you wonder what’s going on here. Also the Eagles have sat their guys in preseasons before and still ended up being destroyed with injuries. 

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

When you see other teams like the Chiefs playing their MVP caliber quarterback while the Eagles haven’t played their guys if makes you wonder what’s going on here. Also the Eagles have sat their guys in preseasons before and still ended up being destroyed with injuries. 

It was a mixed bag. Some teams sat their starters the whole preseason too. Then you have some teams that only certain stars sat out. Then you have some that just played a handful of snaps in the 1st preseason game. We aren't the only ones with a screwy preseason when it comes to the games. 

Now the thing that bothers me is how short their practices were and they didn't even have that many and no tackling. I don't care about them getting 2 drives of preseason after 10 months off. I do think they need to practice more and harder though. 

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It was a mixed bag. Some teams sat their starters the whole preseason too. Then you have some teams that only certain stars sat out. Then you have some that just played a handful of snaps in the 1st preseason game. We aren't the only ones with a screwy preseason when it comes to the games. 

Now the thing that bothers me is how short their practices were and they didn't even have that many and no tackling. I don't care about them getting 2 drives of preseason after 10 months off. I do think they need to practice more and harder though. 

Short practices plus no preseason for a guy who has basically 5 starts under his belt is concerning to me. Especially since it seems like they’re not all that enamored with him and they’ve clearly been chasing after Watson.

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Short practices plus no preseason for a guy who has basically 5 starts under his belt is concerning to me. Especially since it seems like they’re not all that enamored with him and they’ve clearly been chasing after Watson.

They sheet all over Hurts at this point. 

Snippet from Roob article about QB playing time this preseason. I apologize if already posted. Basically IF Hurts had 1 more successful drive this season he would've finished right in the middle of QB snaps taken this preseason. I think he could've used the work but I also think that this issue is crazy overblown...

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/where-did-eagles-qb-jalen-hurts-preseason-playing-time-rank-among-starting-qbs

First of all, we broke up the 32 teams into three categories: Teams with a clear, established, healthy starter, teams with a legit quarterback competition and teams whose projected starter is hurt (or on the COVID reserve list).

Obviously, teams with a quarterback competition are going to play both QBs a lot. There were five of those this summer – the 49ers, Bears, Broncos, Patriots and Saints. And teams with a clear starter who’s hurt are obviously going to play only the backups. There were two of those (the Cowboys and Colts).

That leaves 25 teams – including the Eagles – with a clear opening-day starter who was healthy enough to play in the preseason.

Of those 25 teams, seven have quarterbacks who didn’t play a single snap this preseason: Justin Herbert of the Chargers, Matt Ryan of the Falcons, Aaron Rodgers of the Packers, Derek Carr of the Raiders, Matt Stafford of the Rams, Russell Wilson of the Seahawks and Ryan Tannehill of the Titans (who went on the COVID-reserve list after not playing in the first two preseason games). 

Of that group, all but Herbert are veterans of at least eight seasons, but Herbert did start 15 games as a rookie last year and throw nearly 600 passes.

So 18 healthy starting quarterbacks did play, and their preseason snap counts ranged from three to 65 snaps. Here’s how they stacked up:

• 65 … Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence          
  • 60 … Dolphins - Tua Tagovailoa
  • 51 … Chiefs - Pat Mahomes         
  • 50 … Texans - Tyrod Taylor        
  • 48 … Panthers - Sam Darnold              
  • 44 … Jets - Zach Wilson              
  • 40 … Giants - Daniel Jones
  • 37 … Washington - Ryan Fitzpatrick 
  • 33 … Bills - Josh Allen                 
  • 30 … Vikings - Kirk Cousins        
  • 22 … Lions - Jared Goff                        
  • 18 … Buccaneers - Tom Brady             
  • 16 … Browns - Baker Mayfield    
  • 16 … Steelers - Ben Roethlisberger      
  • 10 … Eagles - Jalen Hurts   
  • 10 … Ravens - Lamar Jackson              
  • 9 … Cards - Kyler Murray 
  • 3 … Bengals - Joe Burrow   

So in other words the supposed QB competition was never a thing. More lies out of that front office. 

Also this is what I'm talking about these guys were off for 9-10 months and the top snap count was 65 snaps over 3 games? This is going to knock rust off and build chemistry? How many of those were just hand offs? Hurts should of played a lot more for sure but, again I don't think it would of made that much of a difference. 

2 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

I think he could've used the work but I also think that this issue is crazy overblown...

It's always overblown every single preseason. 

4 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

Snippet from Roob article about QB playing time this preseason. I apologize if already posted. Basically IF Hurts had 1 more successful drive this season he would've finished right in the middle of QB snaps taken this preseason. I think he could've used the work but I also think that this issue is crazy overblown...

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/where-did-eagles-qb-jalen-hurts-preseason-playing-time-rank-among-starting-qbs

First of all, we broke up the 32 teams into three categories: Teams with a clear, established, healthy starter, teams with a legit quarterback competition and teams whose projected starter is hurt (or on the COVID reserve list).

Obviously, teams with a quarterback competition are going to play both QBs a lot. There were five of those this summer – the 49ers, Bears, Broncos, Patriots and Saints. And teams with a clear starter who’s hurt are obviously going to play only the backups. There were two of those (the Cowboys and Colts).

That leaves 25 teams – including the Eagles – with a clear opening-day starter who was healthy enough to play in the preseason.

Of those 25 teams, seven have quarterbacks who didn’t play a single snap this preseason: Justin Herbert of the Chargers, Matt Ryan of the Falcons, Aaron Rodgers of the Packers, Derek Carr of the Raiders, Matt Stafford of the Rams, Russell Wilson of the Seahawks and Ryan Tannehill of the Titans (who went on the COVID-reserve list after not playing in the first two preseason games). 

Of that group, all but Herbert are veterans of at least eight seasons, but Herbert did start 15 games as a rookie last year and throw nearly 600 passes.

So 18 healthy starting quarterbacks did play, and their preseason snap counts ranged from three to 65 snaps. Here’s how they stacked up:

• 65 … Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence          
  • 60 … Dolphins - Tua Tagovailoa
  • 51 … Chiefs - Pat Mahomes         
  • 50 … Texans - Tyrod Taylor        
  • 48 … Panthers - Sam Darnold              
  • 44 … Jets - Zach Wilson              
  • 40 … Giants - Daniel Jones
  • 37 … Washington - Ryan Fitzpatrick 
  • 33 … Bills - Josh Allen                 
  • 30 … Vikings - Kirk Cousins        
  • 22 … Lions - Jared Goff                        
  • 18 … Buccaneers - Tom Brady             
  • 16 … Browns - Baker Mayfield    
  • 16 … Steelers - Ben Roethlisberger      
  • 10 … Eagles - Jalen Hurts   
  • 10 … Ravens - Lamar Jackson              
  • 9 … Cards - Kyler Murray 
  • 3 … Bengals - Joe Burrow   

Friend I've been trying to point this out the entire pre season, there's always some reason that Hurts needed to have more work.

Every year the starters should've played more, every damn year. Eagles pre season is like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for previous years starting players snap counts

7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

So in other words the supposed QB competition was never a thing. More lies out of that front office. 

Also this is what I'm talking about these guys were off for 9-10 months and the top snap count was 65 snaps over 3 games? This is going to knock rust off and build chemistry? How many of those were just hand offs? Hurts should of played a lot more for sure but, again I don't think it would of made that much of a difference. 

It's always overblown every single preseason. 

Overall it feels like they’re either protecting Hurts or they’re trying not to expose Hurts. We know they really want Watson and now it seems like they pivoted to Minshew at least for now. Overall it feels like the Eagles are overthinking all of this. You’re right about the Quarterback competition being a farce though. 

It’s not necessarily just that the QB competition was a farce, the way it was handled was non-sensical.  Not only was there no competition (which was fine by me), he clearly didn’t have to prove anything to them beyond what they saw at practice - which makes no sense. I thought the whole point of their non-committal to Hurts was that the sample size was just too small?

They treated him like an established vet.

21 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Overall it feels like they’re either protecting Hurts or they’re trying not to expose Hurts. We know they really want Watson and now it seems like they pivoted to Minshew at least for now. Overall it feels like the Eagles are overthinking all of this. You’re right about the Quarterback competition being a farce though. 

Really, it's probably both.  The Eagles are definitely hedging their bet on him, because the organization has seen QBs before and know what they have.

17 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Really, it's probably both.  The Eagles are definitely hedging their bet on him, because the organization has seen QBs before and know what they have.

Well they’re the ones who drafted him. Don’t use 2nd round pick on a guy that you only think is a backup. They waste high round picks far too often. 

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well they’re the ones who drafted him. Don’t use 2nd round pick on a guy that you only think is a backup. They waste high round picks far too often. 

Correct, but that's a completely different subject right now...one that includes that the FO not having any clue that Wentz would play/force his way out of Philadelphia at the time.  I think the pick suggested some serious overthinking where they thought he'd develop, then be traded later (QB factory) for multiple picks.  It's stupid, but it is a "Howie is smarter than everyone else" move.

4 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Correct, but that's a completely different subject right now...one that includes that the FO not having any clue that Wentz would play/force his way out of Philadelphia at the time.  I think the pick suggested some serious overthinking where they thought he'd develop, then be traded later (QB factory) for multiple picks.  It's stupid, but it is a "Howie is smarter than everyone else" move.

So many levels of this for a while now too. The Eagles view the first three rounds seemingly for drafting guys they can develop or be backups. I mean Goedert doesn’t even crack the starting lineup until his contract year basically. Dillard never cracked it. Jones was a bust here. At least Barnett and Sanders cracked the starting lineups although I’m not sure if either player will ever become elite. Wentz fizzled out too. Meanwhile we have a team lacking talent all over the place, but they keep wasting picks. Hopefully Reagor and Smith work out, but the historic Howie’s drafting gives me doubts.

Last night I was watching some YT videos about how terrible the new Madden game is. One was Angry Joe and I don't remember the other one. On both videos I noticed that the opening day QB for the Eagles was Colin Kaepernick so I'm guessing that the computer signed him as a free agent in franchise mode prior to game 1. :roll:

16 minutes ago, mr_irie1 said:

Last night I was watching some YT videos about how terrible the new Madden game is. One was Angry Joe and I don't remember the other one. On both videos I noticed that the opening day QB for the Eagles was Colin Kaepernick so I'm guessing that the computer signed him as a free agent in franchise mode prior to game 1. :roll:

Ryan Moody is the other big one that bashes the sheet out of Madden every year

Well, here we go. On to Atlanta. I will back this dude, unless he sucks so bad I have to turn on him. 🤨

5 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Well, here we go. On to Atlanta. I will back this dude, unless he sucks so bad I have to turn on him. 🤨

You might find yourself in Yo-Yo mode at least during the start of the season. He will probably have both good and bad moments especially since he really hasn’t had a lot of game experience. For me I’m looking to see how long he’s willing to stay in the pocket, how accurate is he from the pocket, is he still one read/run, is he protecting the ball better, and so on. As long as he continues to show improvement in these areas I think he will be fine. 

Archived