Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I think Hurts can be every bit as good as McNabb and probably better as long the play-calling shows confidence in him.  No constant runs on first and second downs leading to 3rd and longs with multiple defensive players coming on blitzes.

Before he is compared to McNabb, he has to show that he can stand tall in the pocket and not take off running after first target is covered.  He also needs to not run to contact, learn not to slide headfirst, and keep from fumbling.  He's got a long way to go and play calling isn't going to solve all of that.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Likely right, but it's Hurts' job to make him have 2nd thoughts.  

The fact they traded for Minshew and is (according to many reports) all in on Watson shows the Eagles aren’t enamored with their quarterback room. That isn’t wait and see stuff. That’s actual happenings (at least when it comes to Minshew) so I don’t know if they will ever be settled there. Heck many of the Eagles best outcomes kind of came with a backup quarterback playing so I guess in a way they do have a point. 

25 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The fact they traded for Minshew and is (according to many reports) all in on Watson shows the Eagles aren’t enamored with their quarterback room. That isn’t wait and see stuff. That’s actual happenings (at least when it comes to Minshew) so I don’t know if they will ever be settled there. Heck many of the Eagles best outcomes kind of came with a backup quarterback playing so I guess in a way they do have a point. 

I agree with that, too.  That's why I say that it's up to Hurts to change the narrative (I doubt he will though).  We need an outcome with no doubt this year....either Hurts is a superstar or he just sucks big time.  He don't need any gray areas in this with Hurts.

Reading that "Howie's gonna Howie" with QBs just pisses me off.  I know it's true.

28 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I agree with that, too.  That's why I say that it's up to Hurts to change the narrative (I doubt he will though).  We need an outcome with no doubt this year....either Hurts is a superstar or he just sucks big time.  He don't need any gray areas in this with Hurts.

Reading that "Howie's gonna Howie" with QBs just pisses me off.  I know it's true.

Either way it’s kind of Win/Win. If Hurts stinks the Eagles will have the draft capital to get themselves a legit quarterback, but if Hurts turns out to be legit well the Eagles have plenty of draft picks to improve the team as a whole. Overall this season to me is about learning with low expectations. I will state that although I think some fans are way too harsh way too early on Hurts, the Eagles own actions are concerning to me about him. 

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Before he is compared to McNabb, he has to show that he can stand tall in the pocket and not take off running after first target is covered.  He also needs to not run to contact, learn not to slide headfirst, and keep from fumbling.  He's got a long way to go and play calling isn't going to solve all of that.

Maybe you should just wait and see how he plays, there is the concept of learning from your mistakes.

46 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Maybe you should just wait and see how he plays, there is the concept of learning from your mistakes.

What do I need to wait on?   I said he needs to improve on things before he can even be discussed with the best QB in team history (your conclusion, not mine).  Maybe, you are the one that needs to "wait and see".

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Either way it’s kind of Win/Win. If Hurts stinks the Eagles will have the draft capital to get themselves a legit quarterback, but if Hurts turns out to be legit well the Eagles have plenty of draft picks to improve the team as a whole. Overall this season to me is about learning with low expectations. I will state that although I think some fans are way too harsh way too early on Hurts, the Eagles own actions are concerning to me about him. 

Let's just hope that he does not hang out in the middle of those options, so a clear decision can be made.  That is my concern.

Related to the team, I don't think it's really hard to see his limitations.  He has a ways to go with learning the position and the professionals can see that.  I think that is why they are hedging their bets and not making commitments.  For as many fans that are being too hard on him, there are just as many (or more) ignoring everything and setting him on an unrealistic trajectory.  As you said, the best bet is to ride it out this year with low expectations about everything and see how it pans out.

3 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

There are always a few outliers, but the vast majority don't fit into the "unimpressive" category.  Sure we may get lucky, but the odds are not in our favor.

So we just need a once in a generation defense seems pretty easy

10 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Let's just hope that he does not hang out in the middle of those options, so a clear decision can be made.  That is my concern.

Related to the team, I don't think it's really hard to see his limitations.  He has a ways to go with learning the position and the professionals can see that.  I think that is why they are hedging their bets and not making commitments.  For as many fans that are being too hard on him, there are just as many (or more) ignoring everything and setting him on an unrealistic trajectory.  As you said, the best bet is to ride it out this year with low expectations about everything and see how it pans out.

I don't see Howie investing in Hurts unless he plays lights out. Howie does not seem to settle for just solid from the QB position if he did Foles would have never have left. 

Eagles just named Hurts one of the captains for the team. Even though I don’t think they have done enough to show he’s their guy this move says a lot. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Eagles just named Hurts one of the captains for the team. Even though I don’t think they have done enough to show he’s their guy this move says a lot. 

Meh, teams name random guys captain all the time. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Meh, teams name random guys captain all the time. 

If they had plans to move him or move on from him I don’t see how they make him a captain. Pretty much every other guy on this team that’s a captain is a veteran but him. 

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If they had plans to move him or move on from him I don’t see how they make him a captain. Pretty much every other guy on this team that’s a captain is a veteran but him. 

Makes him feel good. Wentz was a captain and was a known sheety leader captain means nothing to me. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Makes him feel good. Wentz was a captain and was a known sheety leader captain means nothing to me. 

Most people weren’t saying that and you know it. Heck for years everyone (at least around here) was mostly saying Wentz was a great leader. We now know that isn’t true, but then we didn’t. I also don’t think was a captain his first year as a starter. 

Every team has their starting QB as captain. Can we move on?

EDIT: to prove my point Bridgewater is a captain for the Broncos

31 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Most people weren’t saying that and you know it. Heck for years everyone (at least around here) was mostly saying Wentz was a great leader. We now know that isn’t true, but then we didn’t. I also don’t think was a captain his first year as a starter. 

No because Chip got rid of the captain nonsense. Doug brought it back in 2017 and named Carson a captain 

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The players chose the Captains.  I think it says good things about him, but let's not pretend that any decision makers bestowed the honor onto Hurts.  

I’m just going to approach the season with cautious optimism for Hurts. I don’t think the team as a whole is good enough to win more than maybe 7 games tops, but I’m hopeful that Hurts can grab the job and run with it. 

13 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

the best QB in team history (your conclusion, not mine). 

McNabb beiing the best QB in team history is "your conclusion, not mine".

4 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

The players chose the Captains.  I think it says good things about him, but let's not pretend that any decision makers bestowed the honor onto Hurts.  

I’m not trying to over sell it, but it’s a bigger deal than some are trying to make it out. It’s a good thing if the players consider him a leader already. 

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

McNabb beiing the best QB in team history is "your conclusion, not mine".

Then who would that be?

No matter who your mind envisions, comparing Hurts to a proven successful NFL QB after what he has shown is just silly.  He has alot to improve on to even get in the conversation.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m not trying to over sell it, but it’s a bigger deal than some are trying to make it out. It’s a good thing if the players consider him a leader already. 

I think it's interesting and says something for how the locker room perceives him.  I just don't think it means anything to whether he stays or goes.

Archived