Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The sad thing is I think you are right.

Too many waiting for him to fail.

Hopefully he continues to prove the haters wrong,

This is so stupid. No one wants him to fail. I've been labeled a "hater" by fifty people on this board and have done nothing but give him props for today, because he earned it.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Swoop said:

This is so stupid. No one wants him to fail. I've been labeled a "hater" by fifty people on this board and have done nothing but give him props for today, because he earned it.

Hater!!

😁

26 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Lol - I wasn't accusing you.

But I disagree with the idea that everybody wants him to succeed.

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

I’ll give you props. You definitely spoke up for him today. He earned it today. 

I’ll state that I expected Hurts to be a little rusty since he didn’t play in the preseason, but he might have been the sharpest Eagle out there. 😂

On 9/9/2021 at 2:54 PM, MF POON said:

But Hurts was drafted after Wentz got his payday. He was drafted after the one mediocre season where Wentz stunk, we were fortunate to make the playoffs, and Wentz got hurt in the game.

Wentz didn't stink in 2019; he was average or slightly above average that season.  He certainly wasn't great like some Eagles fans like to tell you, but he also wasn't horrible in 2019.

Thoughts on Jalen Hurts against Atlanta:

I thought he played solidly, but he also wasn't asked to do that much.  Almost all of the passes he threw were either short, high percentage passes or were to receivers who were open by at least a couple steps if not wide open.  The Eagles' run and pass blocking (by the offensive line, wide receivers, and running backs) was really good vs. the Falcons, and that made Hurts' job much easier.  Having said that, he was generally accurate, and that helped the Eagles' offense execute more effectively.

I wouldn't overstate how Hurts played in the season opener, but it was a solid performance.

1 hour ago, CHIP72 said:

I thought he played solidly, but he also wasn't asked to do that much.  Almost all of the passes he threw were either short, high percentage passes or were to receivers who were open by at least a couple steps if not wide open.  The Eagles' run and pass blocking (by the offensive line, wide receivers, and running backs) was really good vs. the Falcons, and that made Hurts' job much easier.  Having said that, he was generally accurate, and that helped the Eagles' offense execute more effectively.

I wouldn't overstate how Hurts played in the season opener, but it was a solid performance.

Let's give the coaches some credit for using the weapons they have wisely. Not just Hurts but the RBs and defense.
Also, Atlanta seemed to be a hot mess so there's that.

That said, I'm very optimistic for the birds. As long as they stay healthy they can make a solid run.
And the coaches look very sharp. Except when they gave up 3 points to go for it on 4th when it was not urgent.
We could have had 6 more points. Inconsequential in this game but maybe in the future, who knows?

Great way to start. 

Hope he continues to have success as defenses learn and adjust to his tendencies. Especially since this year's crop of college QBs look pretty weak. Hate to see them have to reach on one of them if Hurt's doesn't pan out. 

2 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

Hurts also was able to avoid several Atlanta blitzes that were all over him.      Wentz would have most likely been sacked 4 or 5 times today for big losses in those same situations.

2 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

You think that TD play to Smith was easy? How about his pocket awareness? Made rushers miss. Rolled to his right and hit Goedert. After the TD was called back, he kept calm and completed the job anyway. He did not look rattled at all. You're worried about short passes? TB12 made a career over that. Good coaching definitely helped. What you pretty much said was everyone did their job on O. That's a what a team sport is and what a well coached and properly executed game plan looks like.

Side note....When was the last time you said an Eagles WR was running wide open?

Also, can he slide? I swear I saw him slide last year lol

He was really, really good today.  There were a couple of hiccups which could come down to in game chemistry, but it was an outstanding start to the season

His command of the huddle was impressive. His pre- snap reads and communicating that info to the offense was off the charts. His demands for his team to line up quickly and hustle every play- pure leadership. There are way more things to look at then just how many yards he had. This man is a true leader. The rest will follow.

25 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

His command of the huddle was impressive. His pre- snap reads and communicating that info to the offense was off the charts. His demands for his team to line up quickly and hustle every play- pure leadership. There are way more things to look at then just how many yards he had. This man is a true leader. The rest will follow.

He just looked like a man in complete control of things. He looked calmed and composed. And I know things went well for the team on the day but he's got that kind of aura about him I think. 

3 hours ago, Pliny said:

Hurts also was able to avoid several Atlanta blitzes that were all over him.      Wentz would have most likely been sacked 4 or 5 times today for big losses in those same situations.

I was thinking the same thing especially when Hurts was in fact sacked by Tuioti-Mariner.  If that was Wentz, he would have fumbled to ball too.

I gotta say that I was really impressed with Hurts' presence on the sideline after the offense scored the last touchdown and the game was all but done.

While guys were giving each other high fives, Hurts, along with Lane Johnson, stood there, paid attention to what was going on the field, and acted like it was nothing. I'm not saying that winning isn't a big deal but at the beginning of the season when there's a lot more games to be played, Hurts demeanor shows that he knows that there a lot more work to be done before they can start buying into the hype.  

8 minutes ago, Ewaeagle said:

While guys were giving each other high fives, Hurts, along with Lane Johnson, stood there, paid attention to what was going on the field, and acted like it was nothing. I'm not saying that winning isn't a big deal but at the beginning of the season when there's a lot more games to be played, Hurts demeanor shows that he knows that there a lot more work to be done before they can start buying into the hype.  

Could not agree with you more. He wasn't getting carried away, he just watched what was happening and waited for the clock to hit zero. He knows there's a long way to go and there are going to be tough games ahead for this team. 

4 hours ago, Portyansky said:

You think that TD play to Smith was easy? How about his pocket awareness? Made rushers miss. Rolled to his right and hit Goedert. After the TD was called back, he kept calm and completed the job anyway. He did not look rattled at all. You're worried about short passes? TB12 made a career over that. Good coaching definitely helped. What you pretty much said was everyone did their job on O. That's a what a team sport is and what a well coached and properly executed game plan looks like.

Side note....When was the last time you said an Eagles WR was running wide open.

Also, can he slide? I swear I saw him slide last year lol.

1) Smith was open by a couple steps on his touchdown catch due to Zach Ertz's pick near the beginning of the play.  That's wide open by NFL standards.  If an NFL quarterback has time to throw on the play, and Hurts had time on the play, he's usually going to complete that pass.

2) Hurts made a few good plays with his feet, but he also had happy feet on a few plays, most notably the first 4th down conversion in the 1st half where he rolled to his right into pressure when there would not have been pressure had he stayed in the pocket or rolled left.

3) The pass to Goedert was very good, though Goedert also made an excellent catch on the play.

4) Every NFL team needs to complete some intermediate to long passes in a game to keep opposing defenses from scheming to take away the shorter routes.  The Eagles called very few intermediate to long passes against Atlanta but it didn't matter because the Falcons defense was very poor.  Against better teams Hurts will need to show the ability to make throws down the field.  Additionally, most Eagles pass plays, especially in the 1st half, went to the right side of the field, and the Eagles will need to throw to the left more often to prevent teams from scheming against that tendency.

It sounds like I'm being harsh on Hurts or denigrating his performance and that is not my intent.  He played well, and the fact he was generally accurate on his passes was a very good sign.  I was encouraged by his play.  But the team around him played very well and he was not asked to make many big or hard throws, and both of those things made his job easier.  There will be games later this year where the Eagles offense doesn't control the opposing team's defense so effectively and Hurts will need to step up and make the kind of plays the better NFL quarterbacks are able to make on regular or semi-regular basis if he's truly going to be the Eagles' guy going forward.

3 minutes ago, CHIP72 said:

There will be games later this year where the Eagles offense doesn't control the opposing team's defense so effectively and Hurts will need to step up and make the kind of plays the better NFL quarterbacks are able to make on regular or semi-regular basis if he's truly going to be the Eagles' guy going forward.

I agree with you that there are going to be games that Hurts is going to have to make intermediate and long pass plays. But we also know, because we saw it last year, that he's more than capable of doing that. 

I think the accuracy notion that's been out there has been overblown. Is he the most accurate QB? No he's not but he throws a very nice and catchable ball. His completion % last year was massively impacted by the WRs and the OL. He threw away a lot of passes. With a healthy OL I think we are going to see a much more accurate Hurts. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the accuracy notion that's been out there has been overblown. Is he the most accurate QB? No he's not but he throws a very nice and catchable ball. 

Here's my thing with Hurts, he needs to throw with confidence. 

A perfect example was the underthrown pass to Goddert, dude was wide open for an easy pass but he was timid on his throw and damn near missed him.

In watching some of the other QBs yesterday, Mahomes, Stafford and etc, they don't throw timid, they let their passes rip, Hurts needs to do the same, I'm not talking about not cockey throws that led to Wentz-Like overthrows, he should just do what he does in practice, let them rip. 

BTW, I think that was his problem at 'Bama, he was too timid for fear of Saban.

45 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Here's my thing with Hurts, he needs to throw with confidence. 

A perfect example was the underthrown pass to Goddert, dude was wide open for an easy pass but he was timid on his throw and damn near missed him.

In watching some of the other QBs yesterday, Mahomes, Stafford and etc, they don't throw timid, they let their passes rip, Hurts needs to do the same, I'm not talking about not cockey throws that led to Wentz-Like overthrows, he should just do what he does in practice, let them rip. 

BTW, I think that was his problem at 'Bama, he was too timid for fear of Saban.

Yesterday, I thought the exact same thing on some plays.  He looked like he was "aiming" his passes when going downfield versus simply reacting.   The wide open Ertz pass was a good example.  I'd bet that they are coaching him so hard out of his bad habits that his mind is in overdrive.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree with you that there are going to be games that Hurts is going to have to make intermediate and long pass plays. But we also know, because we saw it last year, that he's more than capable of doing that. 

I think the accuracy notion that's been out there has been overblown. Is he the most accurate QB? No he's not but he throws a very nice and catchable ball. His completion % last year was massively impacted by the WRs and the OL. He threw away a lot of passes. With a healthy OL I think we are going to see a much more accurate Hurts. 

His completion % was also low last year because they were throwing it down the field a lot.  I think his aDOT was around 8 last year, while it was under 4 yesterday.

He's shown that he can be accurate in the short passing game.

2 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

His completion % was also low last year because they were throwing it down the field a lot.  I think his aDOT was around 8 last year, while it was under 4 yesterday.

He's shown that he can be accurate in the short passing game.

And that's good because I think this offense under Sirianni is going to be heavily reliant upon the short passing game. 

Archived