Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have huge expectations.  All I expect is for Eagles football to be fun again, which it was NOT thanks to the previous QB last year.

But I like this kid's mentality.  I think he could surprise us all...

2 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

I don't have huge expectations.  All I expect is for Eagles football to be fun again, which it was NOT thanks to the previous QB last year.

Agreed. I think this team is going to be fun because I think there are so many unknowns. I know it probably won't be great and it'll be ugly at times and in some ways but at least it's different. This team is rebuilding again. 

On 9/1/2021 at 2:47 PM, Thrive said:

It’s not necessarily just that the QB competition was a farce, the way it was handled was non-sensical.  Not only was there no competition (which was fine by me), he clearly didn’t have to prove anything to them beyond what they saw at practice - which makes no sense. I thought the whole point of their non-committal to Hurts was that the sample size was just too small?

They treated him like an established vet.

So maybe it is time to realise that they never were as in doubt as our garbage beat writers wanted you to think.

If you ignore all the noise, all the Eagles did all year was what a team does that 100% believes in their starter. Except naming him the starter before TC. 

And that is how it should be. Because Hurts is the future. No reason to think otherwise.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:04 AM, Talonblood said:

Well, here we go. On to Atlanta. I will back this dude, unless he sucks so bad I have to turn on him. 🤨

Way these things go, we‘ll win some games, the media crowns Hurts an MVP frontrunner and everyone here will claim he knew all along how good he is.

1 hour ago, Infam said:

Way these things go, we‘ll win some games, the media crowns Hurts an MVP frontrunner and everyone here will claim he knew all along how good he is.

I’ve been somewhat defensive of Hurts, but can’t claim to say I knew it all along if he turns out to be great. I’m just asking for people to give the kid a chance. 

4 hours ago, Arsenal79 said:

11 made me miss Mike McMahon last season. 😂🤣😂 Okay maybe he wasn’t that bad…. But he wasn’t much better either. 

1 hour ago, Infam said:

When has that ever happened? Seems like most crown people to soon and look like morons when they crash and burn and never play another down. 

8 hours ago, KINGnabb said:

One More Week.  This September.....Rent Is Due.  Let's Go Jalen.  

Jalen Hurts Philadephia Eagles GIF - Jalen Hurts Philadephia Eagles -  Discover & Share GIFs

I hope he turns out to be a star. Using those extra picks on other positions would help out the teams future tremendously

6 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I hope he turns out to be a star. Using those extra picks on other positions would help out the teams future tremendously

Can you imagine? This team could be absolutely loaded in a couple of years if Hurts can be a star or even a really good QB.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Can you imagine? This team could be absolutely loaded in a couple of years if Hurts can be a star or even a really good QB.

Obviously, this is hard to predict, but....I suspect that he is good enough to win some games and get into the playoffs in this division, but not ever good enough to put us over the top.  If you are Howie...Do you ride it out past next draft knowing it's not good enough to get a SB?  Or do you use the resources next draft on a QB that may get it done?  Not an enviable position for him to have a QB like this.

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hurts needs to be a viable piece in order for the Eagles to use these draftpicks in other places, but Howie has to do a much better job of drafting too. Enough wasting 2nd round picks on backups, injury guys and prospects. Howie needs to make more impactful draft selections. It’s the only way this roster can turnaround.

5 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Obviously, this is hard to predict, but....I suspect that he is good enough to win some games and get into the playoffs in this division, but not ever good enough to put us over the top.  If you are Howie...Do you ride it out past next draft knowing it's not good enough to get a SB?  Or do you use the resources next draft on a QB that may get it done?  Not an enviable position for him to have a QB like this.

Depending on how Hurts plays, I think you have to take a QB this draft. Sure it'll be a gamble, but we will likely be in a great spot to add a QB and other first round talent (depending on the Wentz pick). I don't think Hurts is the answer. I think at his absolute best he can be a guy that can sneak in as a wild card or win a terrible division and proceed to get bounced in the playoffs shortly after. I don't believe he will ever be consistent or good enough for deep runs/making/winning SBs.

I am excited to see him play. A new Coach and QB will make for some growing pains, for sure, and I expect that this season.

I am going to be positive. Hopefully the overall health of the Team will be good, they get better as the season progresses, maybe win 6 to 7 games, and Hurts will establish himself as the Eagles QB for the future. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Hurts needs to be a viable piece in order for the Eagles to use these draftpicks in other places, but Howie has to do a much better job of drafting too. Enough wasting 2nd round picks on backups, injury guys and prospects. Howie needs to make more impactful draft selections. It’s the only way this roster can turnaround.

I think the drafting looks solid so far. At least if you factor in picks like Mailata, Sweat, Maddox.. maybe Watkins now too. Might continue with McPhearson, Gainwell and Williams. So we might have found quite a few guys later.

And early on? I bet Reagor will show up big. Those were some big time catches, and if it was Smith not Reagor making them you'd never hear the end of it. But it was Reagor, so that didn't really fit the narrative, did it? If Hurts does ball out too, that's a franchise QB drafted in that dreaded second round. I don't think anyone thinks Goedert in the second was a wasted pick either. So there is Sanders, and as much as I like him - his drops still do look bad. But I wouldn't write that second pick off either.

Were there missed picks? Hell yeah. Sidney Jones sucked so damn hard. Dillard looks weak. And JJaw.. sigh. But you cannot expect them to hit them all.

Doesn't happen. No team does. 

I for one think Mr. Roseman had a fantastic offseason. In my opinion our picks look promising, and we added big time draft picks next year. Everyone was like: Uh the cap, gonna have to make some big cuts to the team. And we didn't. Even added four clear starters on the cheap while at it. Time to salute one of the best GMs in the NFL.

17 minutes ago, Infam said:

I think the drafting looks solid so far. At least if you factor in picks like Mailata, Sweat, Maddox.. maybe Watkins now too. Might continue with McPhearson, Gainwell and Williams. So we might have found quite a few guys later.

And early on? I bet Reagor will show up big. Those were some big time catches, and if it was Smith not Reagor making them you'd never hear the end of it. But it was Reagor, so that didn't really fit the narrative, did it? If Hurts does ball out too, that's a franchise QB drafted in that dreaded second round. I don't think anyone thinks Goedert in the second was a wasted pick either. So there is Sanders, and as much as I like him - his drops still do look bad. But I wouldn't write that second pick off either.

Were there missed picks? Hell yeah. Sidney Jones sucked so damn hard. Dillard looks weak. And JJaw.. sigh. But you cannot expect them to hit them all.

Doesn't happen. No team does. 

I for one think Mr. Roseman had a fantastic offseason. In my opinion our picks look promising, and we added big time draft picks next year. Everyone was like: Uh the cap, gonna have to make some big cuts to the team. And we didn't. Even added four clear starters on the cheap while at it. Time to salute one of the best GMs in the NFL.

Yeah I guess you’re higher on the Eagles selections than I am. I look at these guys and I ask myself (excluding the rooks for now) have any of these guys pushed themselves into top 15 category in their positions since Howie took back over power and sustained themselves there? The answer is no. The only person close was Wentz and he fell off a cliff. The last time the Eagles had a guy like that was probably Lane or Ertz. I mean look at guys like Wallace and Taylor. They can’t even sniff the field in positions where the Eagles sorely need talent. I mean the Eagles threw five picks at receiver in three seasons while guys drafted after their picks are already making impacts on their teams while we are still hoping and guessing. The fact Mialata looks like he can play in the NFL is a travesty considering he beat out the first round pick Dillard easily. This move had repercussions, because it forced the Eagles to once again extend Lane. I mean if the first round guy actually panned out the Eagles could move on from Lane, but it didn’t happen that way. Speaking of Howie and the secondary go look back at all the players he selected there and notice the entire secondary except for Maddox is basically veteran signings, undrafted FAs, or trades. Even the new rook the drafted hasn’t exactly stood out much either. I’d like to see more Eagles selections make impacts and a couple of these guys actually take their games to the next level. I thought Miles Sanders might be that guy, but now I’m not so sure. 

7 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Do you ride it out past next draft knowing it's not good enough to get a SB?  

There are quite a few of QBs that hve won the SB that were unimpressive, names suchs as Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning and more.  They won the SB because the remainder of their teams were very good, so unless Hurts stinks up the stadium using those picks to build a team around him is the right move.

3 hours ago, Swoop said:

Depending on how Hurts plays, I think you have to take a QB this draft. Sure it'll be a gamble, but we will likely be in a great spot to add a QB and other first round talent (depending on the Wentz pick). I don't think Hurts is the answer. I think at his absolute best he can be a guy that can sneak in as a wild card or win a terrible division and proceed to get bounced in the playoffs shortly after. I don't believe he will ever be consistent or good enough for deep runs/making/winning SBs.

I agree with that sentiment.  I just can see Hurts being good enough to make Howie think otherwise.  

54 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

There are quite a few of QBs that hve won the SB that were unimpressive, names suchs as Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning and more.  They won the SB because the remainder of their teams were very good, so unless Hurts stinks up the stadium using those picks to build a team around him is the right move.

There are always a few outliers, but the vast majority don't fit into the "unimpressive" category.  Sure we may get lucky, but the odds are not in our favor.

9 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I think personally I'd use the ammo next year to restock on a roster that desperately needs that investment. I'd build a roster around a QB who can win games and then once I think I've got the roster ready to contend I go after a QB in the draft. 

11 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I agree with that sentiment.  I just can see Hurts being good enough to make Howie think otherwise.  

That’s going to come down to Howie. Heck the Eagles are so obsessed with their QB Factory mentality Howie thought he needed to use a 2nd round pick on a quarterback after giving Wentz over a 100mil contract. Bottom line it doesn’t even matter how well or poorly Hurts plays. If Howie wants another quarterback he’s gonna get one. 

4 hours ago, Swoop said:

I think Hurts can be every bit as good as McNabb and probably better as long the play-calling shows confidence in him.  No constant runs on first and second downs leading to 3rd and longs with multiple defensive players coming on blitzes.

29 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think personally I'd use the ammo next year to restock on a roster that desperately needs that investment. I'd build a roster around a QB who can win games and then once I think I've got the roster ready to contend I go after a QB in the draft. 

That's one way. The problem with it is mid to late round picks are hard to find premium rookie QBs and the picks lose value.  Tough call.  I can see it both ways, but I'd sure hate to miss out on a more complete QB.

Of course, Hurts playing really well solves it all.  I just don't see it.

35 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

That’s going to come down to Howie. Heck the Eagles are so obsessed with their QB Factory mentality Howie thought he needed to use a 2nd round pick on a quarterback after giving Wentz over a 100mil contract. Bottom line it doesn’t even matter how well or poorly Hurts plays. If Howie wants another quarterback he’s gonna get one. 

Likely right, but it's Hurts' job to make him have 2nd thoughts.  

Archived