Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

15 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

By the third year they were already in contract haggles with many of their defensive players. No matter how you slice it that team hasn’t been as good since they paid Wilson.

I feel this is more coincidence than his contracts fault. Two super bowls gets you a gutted staff and players who want to be overpaid. Some aged out, some had crazy demands, coaches moved on. I would take Russel with this team than to swap with the legion of boom in its prime and keep Hurts at QB. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I feel this is more coincidence than his contracts fault. Two super bowls gets you a gutted staff and players who want to be overpaid. Some aged out, some had crazy demands, coaches moved on. I would take Russel with this team than to swap with the legion of boom in its prime and keep Hurts at QB. 

And you will be in the same boat as Seattle. Cap strapped and first round exits at best. The reason why the Seahawks are even considering dumping Wilson is to hit the reset button. Heck the reason why the Patriots were so good for so long was also due to Tom Brady willingly taking less than he was worth for the team to keep getting better players for him. Now Tom Basically recruits really talented players to go to Tampa for less than they are worth. Russell Wilson doesn’t have that kind of recruitment power and people aren’t going to come to Phill For less than they are worth. I’d rather build the team than give away all these picks to field a team that won’t go anywhere. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

And you will be in the same boat as Seattle. Cap strapped and first round exits at best. The reason why the Seahawks are even considering dumping Wilson is to hit the reset button. Heck the reason why the Patriots were so good for so long was also due to Tom Brady willingly taking less than he was worth for the team to keep getting better players for him. Now Tom Basically recruits really talented players to go to Tampa for less than they are worth. Russell Wilson doesn’t have that kind of recruitment power and people aren’t going to come to Phill For less than they are worth. I’d rather build the team than give away all these picks to field a team that won’t go anywhere. 

Yeah well...to be able to build a team trough the picks you need to have somebody who can build a team trought the picks in the first place...do we have such a person?

20 minutes ago, Vlad67 said:

Yeah well...to be able to build a team trough the picks you need to have somebody who can build a team trought the picks in the first place...do we have such a person?

Is that going to change with one quarterback and a bunch of humps and the same guy making those picks? Didn’t we basically see that in 2020?

Hurts was good today. So was Siriani. 

Gannon continues to suck beyond belief against any competent QB.

8 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Did you see the other QB? That's good. This dude's a backup 

11 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

No doubt. Hurts played well today but he was also asked to run a limited offense that was run heavy. He made some nice plays and some nice throws but he's not a long term starter. 

14 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

We don’t know yet. Hurts moved the ball well today with his arm and legs as part of a balanced game plan. The D didn’t give him a chance. Forced 0 punts and 0 turnovers

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

We don’t know yet. Hurts moved the ball well today with his arm and legs as part of a balanced game plan. The D didn’t give him a chance. Forced 0 punts and 0 turnovers

How many games did it take for the NFL to know Herbert was good?

29 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Agree. I’m as pessimistic on Hurts long term as almost anyone on this board, but he showed some good things today in terms of medium-to-long passes, which is something we haven’t seen from him very often this season. 

21 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

Agree. I’m as pessimistic on Hurts long term as almost anyone on this board, but he showed some good things today in terms of medium-to-long passes, which is something we haven’t seen from him very often this season. 

The start of the game Hurts looked bad, but as the game went on he played much better. He’s never going to be an 80% completion percentage guy, but if he protects the football, moves the chains, and scores I think he could be fine. Hopefully he can get more consistent, but I liked what I saw from him in the second half. 

27 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

How many games did it take for the NFL to know Herbert was good?

How many games did it take Josh Allen? 

11 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

How many games did it take Josh Allen? 

Winning record? Always won on the way through his progress

2 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Winning record? Always won on the way through his progress

So winning record is the progress? Peyton Manning won 3 games, led the league in interceptions, and completed under 60% of his passes as a rookie. 

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

So winning record is the progress? Peyton Manning won 3 games, led the league in interceptions, and completed under 60% of his passes as a rookie. 

Don't even try to compare Peyton to Jalen. Peyton's rookie year, the league rules leaned towards the defense. Jalen is in a league where you can't put your hands on the receiver without a restraining order. Only thing Jalen does well is protect the ball. That's what a good backup should do.

11 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Don't even try to compare Peyton to Jalen. Peyton's rookie year, the league rules leaned towards the defense. Jalen is in a league where you can't put your hands on the receiver without a restraining order. Only thing Jalen does well is protect the ball. That's what a good backup should do.

I love how your slant keeps changing. You don’t like Hurts that fine, but your so called measuring stick is BS. 

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I love how your slant keeps changing. You don’t like Hurts that fine, but your so called measuring stick is BS. 

I said he is a backup and a backup protects the ball. You do realize that Josh Allen's situation is extremely rare and he is slowly coming back to reality correct?  For every Allen story, there is 50 Hurts or less stories in the NFL. Hurts will rarely get beyond the 60% mark. He is a good player, but a bad NFL quarterback. He doesn't see the field worth squat and has been bailed out by Smith by getting so open he doesn't have a choice but to get him the ball. Hurts may not have an emotional reaction to anything, but he throws scared. He favors the right so often that you almost chuckle when he rolls that way. I would prefer to have a QB who gets the skill players the ball and let them get the yards versus trying to be the skill player who gains the yards. 

Look, he says the right things, carries himself like a starter, and shakes things off better than any QB I've seen in Philly in a long time. He has so much about him to like, but at the end of the day he needs to be completely schemed for to be effective. This gets old because many teams what he is good at just isn't good enough.

47 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I said he is a backup and a backup protects the ball. You do realize that Josh Allen's situation is extremely rare and he is slowly coming back to reality correct?  For every Allen story, there is 50 Hurts or less stories in the NFL. Hurts will rarely get beyond the 60% mark. He is a good player, but a bad NFL quarterback. He doesn't see the field worth squat and has been bailed out by Smith by getting so open he doesn't have a choice but to get him the ball. Hurts may not have an emotional reaction to anything, but he throws scared. He favors the right so often that you almost chuckle when he rolls that way. I would prefer to have a QB who gets the skill players the ball and let them get the yards versus trying to be the skill player who gains the yards. 

Look, he says the right things, carries himself like a starter, and shakes things off better than any QB I've seen in Philly in a long time. He has so much about him to like, but at the end of the day he needs to be completely schemed for to be effective. This gets old because many teams what he is good at just isn't good enough.

For every Herbert there is hundreds of Daniel Jones. I don’t know what Hurts is and if I’m honest I don’t think he will be the guy. I will state I don’t know if we will ever find that guy either and I don’t want to be the Jets changing over quarterbacks every two years and going nowhere in the process. 

I hate running QBs because their careers are generally short due to injuries but Hurts put on a show tonight and
went toe to toe with Herbert. If he had another minute or two the birds would likely have won the game. I'm not
totally convinced he's the guy, but I'm rooting for him to succeed. Hopefully he'll stay healthy long enough to
reach his potential.

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

For every Herbert there is hundreds of Daniel Jones. I don’t know what Hurts is and if I’m honest I don’t think he will be the guy. I will state I don’t know if we will ever find that guy either and I don’t want to be the Jets changing over quarterbacks every two years and going nowhere in the process. 

3 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

I hate running QBs because their careers are generally short due to injuries but Hurts put on a show tonight and
went toe to toe with Herbert. If he had another minute or two the birds would likely have won the game. I'm not
totally convinced he's the guy, but I'm rooting for him to succeed. Hopefully he'll stay healthy long enough to
reach his potential.

Like both of you I think it’s more likely than not that Hurts isn’t the franchise QB going forward.

But the bias against him and refusal to accept his good points is shocking.

Hurts was always viewed as a developmental QB. Comparing him to Herbert is stupid.

Plus look at his supporting cast. Yes Smith is very good but he’s a rookie and still learning as well. The other receivers (Goedert apart) are below average at best.

The line is really struggling with pass protection and blitz recognition.

Many of the people who were saying that you cannot expect Wentz to succeed in such a situation are blasting Hurts in a similar situation.

No Hurts isn’t going to be a 75% completion passer. But his ability to make plays with his legs is huge.

He has already improved dramatically on turnovers and his completion percentage isn’t awful.

If we had even a below average D, we would have won yesterday.

4 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

But the bias against him and refusal to accept his good points is shocking

Are you new here? 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Are you new here? 

No you’re right. I should have said "expected” rather than "shocking”

This is a passing league.  Our coach has a pass happy background.  The same coach purposefully scheming away from passing says all that needs said.  Hurts is just holding that place this year.

Archived