Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

19 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

He always was a developmental QB, but to have a chance he needs Siriani to stop asking him to be 85% of the offense.

Yes I agree. He is our QB now, but some people clearly want him to fail, although they wouldn't admit it.

Be interesting to see if we get another Bench Hurts thread after a 44-6 win.

No one wants him to fail.

We want him to show improvement, when he's been regressing overall.

We want him to stop leaving clean pockets. 

We want him to stop rolling right. 

We want him to use the other 2/3s of the field.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean I'm not going to complain that they ran it so much today. They took what the defense gave them and if they do that every week then that's fine. Some weeks you'll need to run more, other weeks you'll need to be pass heavy. I don't mind the fluctuation as long as the run isn't just forgotten about. 

I’m not complaining they ran it too much. Heck it’s like 6 weeks of make up running actually. I’m only stating throwing too much or running to much isn’t really going to get us a clear understanding of Jalen’s development. Ultimately this is a good start. Get him throws he can make, and good drive downs. Don’t put too much on this guy while he develops. 

From what we’ve seen so far, he’s not a starting,  competent QB. His passing range is limited but he does offer a good alternative running type QB. Unless he drastically improves his passing he’s a backup/gadget QB at best, which is not necessarily a bad thing as probably every team should have one. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m not complaining they ran it too much. Heck it’s like 6 weeks of make up running actually. I’m only stating throwing too much or running to much isn’t really going to get us a clear understanding of Jalen’s development. Ultimately this is a good start. Get him throws he can make, and good drive downs. Don’t put too much on this guy while he develops. 

I agree. I think ultimately they know that Hurts isn't going to be the long term answer. But if he can hold the fort down and let them build this roster then that's surely the best thing for this team? If he can be just good enough that they can really evaluate what they do at QB in the long term then that's fine. It means they don't have to panic to take a QB in 2022 but if they fall in love with one they can. If they do take a QB in the first then they could sit them for a year or a number of weeks. 

10 minutes ago, Swoop said:

No one wants him to fail.

We want him to show improvement, when he's been regressing overall.

We want him to stop leaving clean pockets. 

We want him to stop rolling right. 

We want him to use the other 2/3s of the field.

1 - There are some folks who want him to fail, and to be fair there were folks who wanted Wentz/Foles/Vick to fail as well.

2 - That is fair, he needs to show improvement in key areas.

3 - That is going to take time, and a shift in game planning away from 35+ passes a game.

4 - That is a big one, and needs to be a focus of emphasis.

5 - A lot of that comes with his limitations, his arm isn't very good, and he knows not to trust it. He can improve over time, but it won't be drastic.

Hurts is who he is, he will improve, but he will never be a prolific passer.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree. I think ultimately they know that Hurts isn't going to be the long term answer. But if he can hold the fort down and let them build this roster then that's surely the best thing for this team? If he can be just good enough that they can really evaluate what they do at QB in the long term then that's fine. It means they don't have to panic to take a QB in 2022 but if they fall in love with one they can. If they do take a QB in the first then they could sit them for a year or a number of weeks. 

Hurts being competent give them as they call it "optionality.” There’s still a lot going on here. 50 mil in dead cap money right now. That’s a few decent players instead of bottom basement rental players. Overall building this roster should take precedence over quarterback chasing. I wouldn’t consider Ryan Tannehill an elite quarterback, but he’s serviceable enough you can win with especially with a lot of talent around him. Do we need to go quarterback chasing or do we need to build up a better roster? That is the question right now. Hurts could alleviate some of the questions if he played better, but again he’s a young player and he’s still developing. I don’t want to be the Jets. Every two years drafting and thinking this guy will be the guy. 

1 minute ago, D-Shiznit said:

4 - That is a big one, and needs to be a focus of emphasis.

5 - A lot of that comes with his limitations, his arm isn't very good, and he knows not to trust it. He can improve over time, but it won't be drastic.

Hurts is who he is, he will improve, but he will never be a prolific passer.

And this is why I think he's going to be a good back up in the NFL but not a starter. He has limitations that mean in doses and in small patches he can deliver for a team but those limitations mean he can't really be a full time starter. 

And here's the thing... there's no shame in being a career back up. Fitzpatrick has had a very nice career doing so. Foles is a career back up and he won a SB. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Hurts being competent give them as they call it "optionality.” There’s still a lot going on here. 50 mil in dead cap money right now. That’s a few decent players instead of bottom basement rental players. Overall building this roster should take precedence over quarterback chasing. I wouldn’t consider Ryan Tannehill an elite quarterback, but he’s serviceable enough you can win with especially with a lot of talent around him. Do we need to go quarterback chasing or do we need to build up a better roster? That is the question right now. Hurts could alleviate some of the questions if he played better, but again he’s a young player and he’s still developing. I don’t want to be the Jets. Every two years drafting and thinking this guy will be the guy. 

They need to evaluate properly and make the move at the right time. If they do that then this team will go far. If they don't then they will be in a mess for a few more years that's the reality. And that's why Hurts may be the right man at this time. He's cheap and wouldn't be able to get a big contract anyway. He may just be good enough to allow this team to contend as well. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They need to evaluate properly and make the move at the right time. If they do that then this team will go far. If they don't then they will be in a mess for a few more years that's the reality. And that's why Hurts may be the right man at this time. He's cheap and wouldn't be able to get a big contract anyway. He may just be good enough to allow this team to contend as well. 

As long as Hurts limits the turnovers and move that chains for now it’s okay. At some point in time he’s going to need to win games in the pocket. If he’s never capable of doing that the Eagles will be in good shape to pick a quarterback in 2022. 

I haven't watched any of his PC's. Have they asked about his preference for the right side of the field and bailing out too soon?

15 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

In a hands of Siriani, Hurts is a terrible QB...Because SIRI CAN NOT COACH. He has proven it. Take SIRI OUT. Get some talent on this team. AND HURTS CAN MANAGE A GAME.. with the right coach.

Everyone stop blaming QB for every fault that Siri, Lurie, and Howie brought to this team..long before Hurts was even drafted.

You know Hurts was here before Siri, yes? I'll certainly give you Lurie & Howie. I'm not sure how much impact 'Lowie' have on what should be coaching decisions but we KNOW they like to throw, something Hurts is not all that good at.

3 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

You know Hurts was here before Siri, yes? I'll certainly give you Lurie & Howie. I'm not sure how much impact 'Lowie' have on what should be coaching decisions but we KNOW they like to throw, something Hurts is not all that good at.

Lurie and Howie have to grow up. Stop **** each other in front of Brady and Rodgers posters, and realize that you adjust the game to the players that you have and not the other way around. We have a rookie QB..so give him the running game. We have a QB that can run..so don't expect him to be a pocket passer in the year one. 2020 doesn't exist as far as I am concerned. Yes Hurts was technically drafted before SIRI, but they have arrived at the same , COVID dominated, no training camp, year. Both are starting their careers. Good game, after a misery of the previous ones.

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

As long as Hurts limits the turnovers and move that chains for now it’s okay. At some point in time he’s going to need to win games in the pocket. If he’s never capable of doing that the Eagles will be in good shape to pick a quarterback in 2022. 

Then they need him to be capable of doing that because ideally they don't want to be picking a QB in 2022.

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Then they need him to be capable of doing that because ideally they don't want to be picking a QB in 2022.

Well then the following year. 

10 hours ago, rrfierce said:

From what we’ve seen so far, he’s not a starting,  competent QB. His passing range is limited but he does offer a good alternative running type QB. Unless he drastically improves his passing he’s a backup/gadget QB at best, which is not necessarily a bad thing as probably every team should have one. 

Honestly, I'm not impressed with his running, seems to me he lollygags on most of his runs because he's afraid of getting hit.

3 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Honestly, I'm not impressed with his running, seems to me he lollygags on most of his runs because he's afraid of getting hit.

You're not impressed by his regularly impressive running numbers? I mean... Look he has limitations and he's unlikely to make it as a starter in the NFL but come on now! He's a very very good runner. 

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

It shows he is smart. Better to get a few less yards and not get hit, it's the only way to keep playing this style of QB long term. He is getting those yards despite playing careful - for the most parts. Every once in a while I'd rather see him go down earlier and not get hit already.

1 hour ago, Infam said:

It shows he is smart. Better to get a few less yards and not get hit, it's the only way to keep playing this style of QB long term. He is getting those yards despite playing careful - for the most parts. Every once in a while I'd rather see him go down earlier and not get hit already.

If he was throwing his shoulder on to players then people would get after him for that. 

5 hours ago, EagleVA said:

He second to Lamar by 50 yards, and leads with 5 TDs.

His passing maybe crap but his rushing isn't

6 hours ago, EagleVA said:

When that happens is when you get RG3 type situations where their careers get cut short due to injuries. Vick also had the same problem here too because he decided to never slide.

Solved the Jalen Hurts problem.  Just be like Navy, Army and Airforce, run 40+ times and have the QB attempt 12 passes.  I am sure that will work well in the NFL.

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You're not impressed by his regularly impressive running numbers? I mean... Look he has limitations and he's unlikely to make it as a starter in the NFL but come on now! He's a very very good runner. 

The crazy throw jump thing he did against the Lions looked pretty silly though. He was well past the LOS when he did it. His stepping out of bounds rather than throwing it away just shows how poor his awareness is. He got bailed out on it though. Let’s be honest he didn’t do that on purpose. 

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Solved the Jalen Hurts problem.  Just be like Navy, Army and Airforce, run 40+ times and have the QB attempt 12 passes.  I am sure that will work well in the NFL.

Honestly can’t be any worse than making him throw it 40 times a game. 

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

5 hours ago, Infam said:

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If he was throwing his shoulder on to players then people would get after him for that. 

3 hours ago, rrfierce said:

He second to Lamar by 50 yards, and leads with 5 TDs.

His passing maybe crap but his rushing isn't

2 hours ago, bitbased said:

When that happens is when you get RG3 type situations where their careers get cut short due to injuries. Vick also had the same problem here too because he decided to never slide.

I'm not looking for him to act like a fullback, but I've seen entirely too many times when he's in wide open field trotting, like Casper the Ghost is going to come out of nowhere and put a bone crushing hit on him, sorry, but I'm not impressed to see a football player run scared.

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The crazy throw jump thing he did against the Lions looked pretty silly though.

Silly people to crazy things, like wearing an earring while playing football. 

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Silly people to crazy things, like wearing an earring while playing football. 

Well that’s not new. A lot of players used to do that and those guys had huge rocks in their ears. 

Archived