Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

I like Hurts as a person. It's unfortunate that he's so limited as a passer, because he seems to have an amazing work ethic, a good attitude, good teammate, etc. Nothing wrong with the young man, seemingly, as a person. 

Having said that, we have played better the last two weeks and it's no coincidence that it's because the ball has been taken out of his hands more. He just lacks the overall arm talent to truly be a good/great starter in this league. 

I will give him credit. Yesterday he stayed in the pocket more and used more of the field. Kudos. Still wasn't a great showing, but at least there was some improvements. 

He belongs in the league as a backup/spot starter/placeholder, but I just don't see him improving overall or enough to be the guy (here or otherwise) moving forward.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

I hate running QBs because their careers are generally short due to injuries but Hurts put on a show tonight and
went toe to toe with Herbert. If he had another minute or two the birds would likely have won the game. I'm not
totally convinced he's the guy, but I'm rooting for him to succeed. Hopefully he'll stay healthy long enough to
reach his potential.

32/38 356 yards 2td/0int Rush 14 yard, 1td

Vs 

11/17 162 yards 1td,0int Rush 62 yards  0 tds 

He didn't go toe to toe with Herbert XD he got handled while going against a back up secondary and no run defense. Herbert went against all our starters. When you know that, it's even more embarrassing that you tried to say that.

1 hour ago, Shalodeep said:

Vs 

He didn't go toe to toe with Herbert XD he got handled while going against a back up secondary and no run defense. Herbert went against all our starters. When you know that, it's even more embarrassing that you tried to say that.

That tells me our defense is atrocious. Didn't our defense also allow Carr to have a record setting day 2 weeks ago?  You're right, it is very embarrassing that our starters allowed a rookie QB to do that. 

Anyway, I'm OK with Hurts having his pass attempts toned down, because he was throwing way too much early this season.  I still see defense as our biggest issue.

4 minutes ago, MF POON said:

That tells me our defense is atrocious. Didn't our defense also allow Carr to have a record setting day 2 weeks ago?  You're right, it is very embarrassing that our starters allowed a rookie QB to do that. 

Anyway, I'm OK with Hurts having his pass attempts toned down, because he was throwing way too much early this season.  I still see defense as our biggest issue.

Nobody is going to defend this defense. No one....but chargers weren't ANY better yesterday and we got less than half the production from our quarterback. Hurts is going to be Tyrod Taylor. Goes team to team, everyone will love love him, but will never be franchise due to limitations. 

5 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Nobody is going to defend this defense. No one....but chargers weren't ANY better yesterday and we got less than half the production from our quarterback. Hurts is going to be Tyrod Taylor. Goes team to team, everyone will love love him, but will never be franchise due to limitations. 

Wentz went 7-9 his rookie year, with 16TD&14INT. Herbert has looked good in 4 games, while looking like an absolute rookie in the others.   

Hurts wasn't asked to do more yesterday, and I'm really good with that. I'd like to see him around 27 attempts a game, but had he thrown 38 times then maybe he puts up comparable numbers. Also, If we had won yesterday fans would be arguing how a balanced offense is effective, but since we didn't, it's now "Hurts didn't do enough."  

2 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Vs 

Every single poster here would gladly switch Herbert for Hurts...if they are being honest.

I really hope that Hurts is the Eagles starting QB for years to come. It makes the boards so entertaining to read.

4 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

I really hope that Hurts is the Eagles starting QB for years to come. It makes the boards so entertaining to read.

So you want the Eagles to be a .500 team for years to come ???

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Sure why not. They already won a Super Bowl and I said I would be OK for 10 years if they did that. We are only on year 4 right now.

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That's the only Eagles fan ever that enjoys the misery of losing.

15 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Sure why not. They already won a Super Bowl and I said I would be OK for 10 years if they did that. We are only on year 4 right now.

What's funny is I'm still riding that super bowl high 😄.  I admittedly don't care as much about football as I once did in my 20's and younger 30's. Being 42 now and having seen this team win it all, I'm content and anything more is just a bonus.  

1 hour ago, MF POON said:

What's funny is I'm still riding that super bowl high 😄.  I admittedly don't care as much about football as I once did in my 20's and younger 30's. Being 42 now and having seen this team win it all, I'm content and anything more is just a bonus.  

I still care a lot but after watching this teams for decades there are a few things that I have come to know.

1) That this team has had a ton of highs and lows through the years. I lived through the Marion Campbell, Buddy Ryan, Rich Kotite years. I know a terrible team when I see one and this team, while not great, is nothing like those awful teams. People that did not live through those years and only saw the good years have a lot of trouble dealing with a bad team.

2) That the grass is never greener on the other side. The vocal part of the fanbase thinks that they can just draft a QB and everything will be alright. Like there are not a TON of busts at QB drafted in the 1st round. We are more likely to get a Tim Couch,Mitch Trubisky, EJ Manual, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold type QB then a Patrick Mahomes type.

3) The vocal fanbase is usually wrong 9 times out of 10. They love one of the worst coaches in Eagles history (Buddy Ryan) but hate one of the best (Andy Reid). They hated McNabb, saying that he cant read defenses, can only play out of the shotgun and that they Eagles would be losers and looking for another QB in a couple of years. These were the same people that thought Zach Ertz was a wasted pick, because the Eagles already had Celek and he could not block like him and there was no way for him to learn how to block in the NFL.

4) The more hate Hurts gets, the more comfortable I feel like he is the answer. He has the one thing that a lot of players don't have - the right temperament to play in Philly. He is also a hard worker and considering that he is on his 6th offensive coordinator in 6 years of playing college and the NFL, makes me believe that he will get better with some stability and film study. This obviously is not a given, but I am hopeful of it.

5) Everyone and I mean everyone, knew that this was going to be a tough year going in. A second year QB, a very young WR squad and young coaches that have never been in their positions before coaching a team. This team was always going to be a 4-8 win team this year. The only thing you can ask for in a year like this is for some growth and understanding of the team needs in the future. That is why they loaded up in draft picks in 2022. Anyone expecting anything else was completely fooling themselves to begin with. 

6) Winning a Super Bowl took a load off of me. There are no more pictures of empty trophy cases. There are no more jokes about zero rings. It makes it easier to enjoy football now even when the team is not playing great.

^ What growth has Hurts shown? As it is, they're taking the ball out of his hands. Doesn't really add up to your 4th point of being "the guy"

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Every single poster here would gladly switch Herbert for Hurts...if they are being honest.

I would trade Wentz for Herbert too. Hope that doesn’t break your heart. 

11 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I would trade Wentz for Herbert too. Hope that doesn’t break your heart. 

You really should seek help. Wentz is long gone from Philly, but seems to have set up permanent camp in your head.  Move on...for your own mental health.

29 minutes ago, Swoop said:

^ What growth has Hurts shown? As it is, they're taking the ball out of his hands. Doesn't really add up to your 4th point of being "the guy"

So far very little but I am not worried about that right now. I would be more concerned about that next year.

Him being the guy has nothing more to do with him having the right temperament and work ethic to play in Philly.

16 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You really should seek help. Wentz is long gone from Philly, but seems to have set up permanent camp in your head.  Move on...for your own mental health.

This coming from the same guy who was crying how much he wanted Wentz back like a week ago. 😂🤣😂

You people crying about how the Eagles do not have Hebert are just ridiculous. Like quarterbacks with that ability at that age just grow on trees. Which one of the current rookies is lighting the world on fire right now? Clearly you impatient dopes would run Herbert out of town the first time he threw a pick. He ain’t here and never was. Support the guys who are here or find yourself another team. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

This coming from the same guy who was crying how much he wanted Wentz back like a week ago. 😂🤣😂

There you go again making stuff up.  

Would I take him over Hurts?  Yes, so would many others.

Get help.  Please. Someone somewhere may actually care about you.

1 minute ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Yeah I made it up you’re obsessed with wanting this guy back even though you just admitted again. Seek help. He ain’t coming back. Stop crying for people who aren’t here. 😂🤣😂

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah I made it up you’re obsessed with wanting this guy back even though you just admitted again. Seek help. He ain’t coming back. Stop crying for people who aren’t here. 😂🤣😂

You bring stupid to new levels daily.  

3 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Wentz was done here.  I really don't think he could've bounced back, because the damage was beyond repair.  Both sides are better off with him elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You bring stupid to new levels daily.  

You whiners need to grow up.

4 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Wentz was done here.  I really don't think he could've bounced back, because the damage was beyond repair.  Both sides are better off with him elsewhere.

I agree 100%, but it doesn't mean I don't prefer him over Hurts.  Hell, I'd prefer damn near any other starting QB over Hurts. (maybe not Tua).  

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

You whiners need to grow up.

You need to get a new schtick.  The one you use is old and tired.

Archived