Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

He didn't "lead" anyone to the playoffs.  Th fact that they realized he had to pass less is the only reason they made the playoffs.  That and us facing covid riddled teams with 3rd ad 4th string QB's.  I don't know who is dumber, you or Jalen Hurts when it comes to reading the field.  

To be fair, his running did help lead the team to the playoffs. Was it overly impressive seeing as we beat bad teams? No. But we still won the games we should've won.  Losing to Tampa in the end wasn't disappointing at all because in truth, we were not a very good football team last season. Again, young QB's struggle with adjusting to the NFL and improve over time.   I mean, Peyton Manning threw 28 INT's his first season as a starter, all while having an abysmal 56% completion rate.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Many of us wanted Russ Wilson or even Watson. Many of us have cheered loudly and proudly for Randall, McNabb, Vick. We don't hate Hurts because he's black. We just don't see him as the future of the franchise, and the sooner we can move on, the better we'll be. It's that simple. Stop trying to make it a race issue, because it's just not. 

If McNabb was good enough to cheer for, then why isn't Hurts? Are you even aware of McNabb's stats? Hurts is more impressive statistically so far in their careers, and he'll more than likely surpass McNabb should he stay here and improve.

We can agree to disagree in regard to internal bias.

Just now, MF POON said:

If McNabb was good enough to cheer for, then why isn't Hurts? Are you even aware of McNabb's stats? Hurts is more impressive statistically so far in their careers, and he'll more than likely surpass McNabb should he stay here and improve.

We can agree to disagree in regard to internal bias.

Because Andy Reid insisted McNabb learn how to play from in the pocket. And once he did that he became far better. You can't compare the stats, the rules have changed significantly since even McNabb's time. Hurts is still scrambling in 7v7 drills. That's a massive red flag, and the fact that Sirianni doesn't bench him for that is mind boggling. Vrabel sat Willis down after a great run this pre-season, because he wants Willis to work on passing. That's how you coach. 

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

Because Andy Reid insisted McNabb learn how to play from in the pocket. And once he did that he became far better. You can't compare the stats, the rules have changed significantly since even McNabb's time. Hurts is still scrambling in 7v7 drills. That's a massive red flag, and the fact that Sirianni doesn't bench him for that is mind boggling. Vrabel sat Willis down after a great run this pre-season, because he wants Willis to work on passing. That's how you coach. 

So you can tell after one whole season that Sirianni isn't trying to do the same with Hurts? You're talking about 7v7 drills, yet ignoring what he did in the preseason game? Yeah, you sure don't have a bias 😄

And no, it was a passing league back then, but it's just much worse now.  Granted, McNabb's WR situation was awful for most of his time here, which is why I cut him a ton of slack. My point still remains though, that if a consistently 3,300k passing, 22/10 TD/INT, and 59% completion QB was enough to cheer for, then why isn't Hurts good enough to root for? 

5 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I think Sirianni knows what Hurts' skillset is, and he saw the results first hand early last season when he dictated a pass-heavy offense.  Where I disagree with most people is I believe Nick and Howie know Hurts is pretty much a finished product at this point, and they've tried to surround him with the best offense possible to take away the excuses.

To your point, when McNabb was drafted out of Syracuse he had 245 rushes to 516 pass attempts in his last 2 college seasons -- that's a 47.5% number.  In his first season with the Eagles in 1999 McNabb was 47 rushes against 216 passes as a raw rookie -- cut down to 21.8%

The Eagles will give Hurts this season to grow and develop as a distributor of the football; we will see how much development he shows.

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Shut up, racist.  

Because McNabb was a good QB.  What does McNabb and Hurts have in common, other than color?  Shame that's all you care about, racist.  

IF McNabb had the same crap defense we put out on the field last year, he would've never had success here.  McNabb was good, but there's not a huge difference between he and Hurts, except that Jalen runs a lot more, which will more than likely change

3 minutes ago, MF POON said:

So you can tell after one whole season that Sirianni isn't trying to do the same with Hurts? You're talking about 7v7 drills, yet ignoring what he did in the preseason game? Yeah, you sure don't have a bias 😄

And no, it was a passing league back then, but it's just much worse now.  Granted, McNabb's WR situation was awful for most of his time here, which is why I cut him a ton of slack. My point still remains though, that if a consistently 3,300k passing, 22/10 TD/INT, and 59% completion QB was enough to cheer for, then why isn't Hurts good enough to root for? 

In your mind, it must be because I'm inherently racist, and thus cheer for one black QB over another. That's insanity. 

5 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I think Sirianni knows what Hurts' skillset is, and he saw the results first hand early last season when he dictated a pass-heavy offense.  Where I disagree with most people is I believe Nick and Howie know Hurts is pretty much a finished product at this point, and they've tried to surround him with the best offense possible to take away the excuses.

To your point, when McNabb was drafted out of Syracuse he had 245 rushes to 516 pass attempts in his last 2 college seasons -- that's a 47.5% number.  In his first season with the Eagles in 1999 McNabb was 47 rushes against 216 passes as a raw rookie -- cut down to 21.8%

The Eagles will give Hurts this season to grow and develop as a distributor of the football; we will see how much development he shows.

You're pretty good with the running percentages vs passing. Would you mind doing Mahomes? 

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

In your mind, it must be because I'm inherently racist, and thus cheer for one black QB over another. That's insanity. 

I never said you or anyone was racist, you're the one labelling yourself that.  I stated that race is relevant to the discussion because there's an obvious bias when it comes to running QB's within the league. 

2 minutes ago, MF POON said:

IF McNabb had the same crap defense we put out on the field last year, he would've never had success here.  McNabb was good, but there's not a huge difference between he and Hurts, except that Jalen runs a lot more, which will more than likely change

Football IQ, Height, Arm strength, ability to read the field....yup, same guy

Just now, Shalodeep said:

Football IQ, Height, Arm strength, ability to read the field....yup, same guy

I'm just glad to see McNabb being praised.  He was forever criticized on the boards for his "wormburners" and fans wanted to replace him with Feeley, Garcia, and Kolb lol

6 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Wow. This is so bad you should probably just delete it. McNabb may have had some spotty accuracy at times, but he was a far better QB than Hurts. He had a rocket for an arm and read defenses better. Until TO, he also never had a WR even as good as Smith last year. Or a Goedert at TE. 

I never said you or anyone was racist, you're the one labelling yourself that.  I stated that race is relevant to the discussion because there's an obvious bias when it comes to running QB's within the league. 

Ah I see your schtick now...you generalize that people who discuss Hurts faults have an inherent racial bias, and when those posters point out it has nothing to do with race, and they aren't racist in anyway, you resort to, "Well, I didn't call you a racist, that's you doing that" Nice try at gaslighting, you racist POS.

1 minute ago, MF POON said:

I'm just glad to see McNabb being praised.  He was forever criticized on the boards for his "wormburners" and fans wanted to replace him with Feeley, Garcia, and Kolb lol

Man, you don't get it. It's OK to criticize a QB. McNabb did throw worm burners, and it was frustrating. But he was also praised for his deep balls, his ability to avoid throwing INTs (which went hand in hand with the worm burners), and his playmaking ability. He was a distributor of the ball, which is what we want our QB to be. Not a glory hog. 

12 minutes ago, MF POON said:

It is actually amazing to me. McNabb is now a great QB that played for the Eagles and not a glory-hogging windbag. I guess this image was unnecessary over the years.

Bhc93u.gif

I guess that a QB has to be retired for years and out of the limelight for fans to appreciate what they did for the team. It happened with Randall, and now it is happening with McNabb.

13 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Won't find a bigger fan than I sir. Super5 will always be a favorite of mine. If he had maclin, Jackson, and celek his whole career, he would of had a ring or two

8 minutes ago, nipples said:

Wow. This is so bad you should probably just delete it. McNabb may have had some spotty accuracy at times, but he was a far better QB than Hurts. He had a rocket for an arm and read defenses better. Until TO, he also never had a WR even as good as Smith last year. Or a Goedert at TE. 

There goes that "rocket arm" thing again lol. McNabb was heavily criticized for being inaccurate and for his wormburners... But again, I love that fans are now appreciating him.

And yeah he never really had WR's.  If he didn't have Westbrook (who was better than any of the WR's/TE's we had on our roster last season) he would've really been bad here. 

1 minute ago, MF POON said:

There goes that "rocket arm" thing again lol. McNabb was heavily criticized for being inaccurate and for his wormburners... But again, I love that fans are now appreciating him.

And yeah he never really had WR's.  If he didn't have Westbrook (who was better than any of the WR's/TE's we had on our roster last season) he would've really been bad here. 

He was also criticized for throwing the ball too hard.

6 minutes ago, MF POON said:

What does some low passes or "worm burners” have to do with arm strength? He undeniably had one of the strongest arms in the league. 

9 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

It is actually amazing to me. McNabb is now a great QB that played for the Eagles and not a glory-hogging windbag. I guess this image was unnecessary over the years.

Bhc93u.gif

I guess that a QB has to be retired for years and out of the limelight for fans to appreciate what they did for the team. It happened with Randall, and now it is happening with McNabb.

Honestly I still don’t think he was a great QB overall. He was good, but not great. My whole point was that he was clearly better as a QB than Hurts is. 

16 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Ah I see your schtick now...you generalize that people who discuss Hurts faults have an inherent racial bias, and when those posters point out it has nothing to do with race, and they aren't racist in anyway, you resort to, "Well, I didn't call you a racist, that's you doing that" Nice try at gaslighting, you racist POS.

Yes, there's an obvious bias when you've made up your mind after one season as a starter.  Especially when people throw around all the  "he can't learn to" types of criticisms. 

Yes, there's an obvious bias when you've made up your mind after one season as a starter.  Especially when people throw around all the  "he can't learn to" types of criticisms. 

It's more than "1 season as a starter". It's his whole career. The same problems he's had since college, he hasn't fixed. You thinking he's just going to magically transform overnight is mystifying. 

I don't know why I bother. I've given you multiple reasons why I think Hurts isn't good enough, and you continually fall back into it being my racial bias, of which you have no evidence of. Because you're a flaming, racist, piece of ish. 

It's not a bias to watch his college film and his two years of NFL film and see the same thing. Rolls and runs too often, favors one side of the field, not particularly accurate, throws to open but can't really throw anyone open due to horrible anticipation. It's not bias, it's actually a non bias observation 

Archived