Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 minute ago, matchew88 said:

This is a good decision. Reporters stirring up BS as usual.

I'm afraid the Lions might pick him

Lions aren’t taking him after Hockenson just a year or so ago. If anything they are even more desperate for true wideouts than we are. Chase, Smith or Waddle for them. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Lurie maybe meddling but what is wrong in wanting to see what he has in Hurts ?

Fine, but even an owner with half a brain understands that you don't advertise it and take away any leverage the Eagles have with the pick.       If he did it because he doesn't fully trust Roseman it raises the obvious question once again of why the hell Roseman is still here and making those decisions. 

This organization becomes more of a dumpster fire with every passing day.

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

Remember back when we used to make fun of franchises with owners who played GM?  Well, now we've got one.

And to make matters worse we have a GM who isn't really a GM, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

Lurie is a rocket scientist.....let's give away any and all leverage against teams wanting to trade up.

Exactly 

11 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Lions aren’t taking him after Hockenson just a year or so ago. If anything they are even more desperate for true wideouts than we are. Chase, Smith or Waddle for them. 

Hopefully.

I'm still in the "WRs will be really good with some more actual coaching" camp.

Only in Philadelphia would the majority of fans and media **** and complain about something like this when it's obviously the correct choice. They just invested a 2nd round pick in the kid a year ago. It's a rebuilding year coming up. They need to find out if Hurts is the answer, and it's the perfect situation while rebuilding to do so. If he isn't good they should end up with a high pick again next year and at that point they could take a QB. About a week ago when the rumors were the Eagles might take a QB at 6 everyone was flipping out, now a week later they reportedly aren't and everyone is flipping out. Bunch of FN miserable drama queens.

I was looking at his college numbers again after lurie said this, then I went back and looked at his rookie season.

he completed 52% of his passes... that was terrible 30 years ago. Today it’s unheard of

9 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I was looking at his college numbers again after lurie said this, then I went back and looked at his rookie season.

he completed 52% of his passes... that was terrible 30 years ago. Today it’s unheard of

Donovan Mcnabb, first year with full training camp preparations:

CPT                                                   TD        INT

Philadelphia Eagles 12 216 106 49.07 948 4.4 63 8 7

Yeah, Eagles will be ok...

So how does Mort know this anyway?

Suppose Lurie didn't want to give away strategy, but internally told his people to roll with Hurts and build around him.  Then supposedly someone leaks this to Mort at ESPN.  Doesn't mean Lurie is bad at strategy, but it would mean they have a leak and need to address that.

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

Only in Philadelphia would the majority of fans and media **** and complain about something like this when it's obviously the correct choice. They just invested a 2nd round pick in the kid a year ago. It's a rebuilding year coming up. They need to find out if Hurts is the answer, and it's the perfect situation while rebuilding to do so. If he isn't good they should end up with a high pick again next year and at that point they could take a QB. About a week ago when the rumors were the Eagles might take a QB at 6 everyone was flipping out, now a week later they reportedly aren't and everyone is flipping out. Bunch of FN miserable drama queens.

Yup and they just invested how much into carson, money and picks and changed  direction so now we are not supposed to be surprised with this? 

12 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Suppose Lurie didn't want to give away strategy, but internally told his people to roll with Hurts and build around him.  Then supposedly someone leaks this to Mort at ESPN.  Doesn't mean Lurie is bad at strategy, but it would mean they have a leak and need to address that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Howie was the leaker.  It isn't as if Howie would fear being fired. He knows that Lurie won't can him.  You wouldn't think he would leak it, but he hasn't shown great judgement over the past couple of years in general in terms of his draft strategy.

9 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Lurie maybe meddling but what is wrong in wanting to see what he has in Hurts ?

Giving Hurts full commitment for next year makes all the sense in the world. What if Hurts turns into the next Russell Wilson ?

What if JaMar Chase or Kyle Pitts whoever they draft turns into superstars ? Eagles already invested a high draft pick on Hurts, so nothing wrong in giving him full commitment to see what we have in Hurts.

If Hurts is not the answer, pretty sure Eagles will be picking high first round next year and can grab their QB.

If the Eagles go 8-8, the Eagles won't be picking high first round, does that mean that Hurts is the answer?

As I see it,  I like Jalen Hurts on the field in a run first offense with running QBs..   That offense that I'm talking about really doesn't exist.  It could exist, it would have to be invented.  But I'd say that Hurts would get the green dot, and would take most of the snaps.   What I saw last year from Washington and Logan Thomas tells me that you can put Hurts in the shotgun, like he normally is, and you could have a player, any type of player, really, up front.  In motion, perhaps getting behind the center, taking the snap, and running, usually not, usually just a guy in motion.  The Eagles have a lot of players who can do this.  Ward, Tate, Jackson all college running QBs,   all certainly capable of taking the snap and running, or one read and run, or take the snap and quickly pitch to Hurts.   What the Eagles also could do is get another running QB on the roster,  a vet,  someone with more NFL QB experience than Ward Tate Jackson,  like Mariota at the top end,  Cam Newton a little cheaper,  Jacoby Brissett, a little cheaper, about the same as Tyrod Taylor,  RGIII near the bottom in cost, and Terrelle Pryor at the bottom.    So what you can do is have, basically,  a single wing tailback in Hurts.  In the single wing days,  it didn't look all that different from a Center doing a shotgun snap to the QB with a RB standing next to him, but typically, the guy getting most of the snaps was the tailback.  And Hurts is on the field all the time, green dot,  is the QB.  But then, what if you have one of those other QBs mentioned above.  You put them under center.   So, you have a front QB and a back QB.   Jacoby Brissett and Cam Newton look big enough to lead block.  Those players could be on the field lined up at a number of different places.  If you used a front QB and a back QB,  and what these guys did a lot of was running,  you could use 2 QBs who aren't that great, between the 2 of them,  good enough passing, and great running.   You could put Tyree Jackson at front QB and Greg Ward at back QB.   Or Cam Newton in front of Jalen Hurts.

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

Lurie meddling. Greeeeaaaat.

If Lurie is meddling, isn't that meddling against Howie?  And isn't Howie the one who people say is bad at getting players?  So this would be a good thing.

31 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

If Lurie is meddling, isn't that meddling against Howie?  And isn't Howie the one who people say is bad at getting players?  So this would be a good thing.

:facepalm:

No. Just no. If Lurie needs to meddle to that point, then the obvious decision is to fire Howie, and appoint one of the other 47 GMs working with Howie. Lurie meddling is never a good thing no matter how you slice it. Lurie’s strength was hiring people and giving them enough rope to hang themselves. Lurie should never be making decisions based on player evaluation. 

50 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

:facepalm:

No. Just no. If Lurie needs to meddle to that point, then the obvious decision is to fire Howie, and appoint one of the other 47 GMs working with Howie. Lurie meddling is never a good thing no matter how you slice it. Lurie’s strength was hiring people and giving them enough rope to hang themselves. Lurie should never be making decisions based on player evaluation. 

I'm not sure what the hell people are thinking lol. 

I don’t understand. For years people were saying the media is lying. Since December they were convinced of it, but now all of a sudden they believe the media? I wonder what changed? 🤔

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t understand. For years people were saying the media is lying. Since December they were convinced of it, but now all of a sudden they believe the media? I wonder what changed? 🤔

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

This team always has gossip and drama around it, with often conflicting reports. Hard to know what to believe. 

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

This team always has gossip and drama around it, with often conflicting reports. Hard to know what to believe. 

It’s actually very easy to know what to believe with respect to the Eagles. They leak their biggest news out to national reporters (with Glazer, Mort and Schefty being almost impeccable) and they use the Philly Media to play Spy Games.

10 hours ago, T-1000 said:

From what I have seen, it isn't the decision of going with Hurts that people are pissed with, it's the announcing it to the world in the begining of March with the draft over a month away. 

You're telling teams you aren't taking a QB when the possibility was up in the air and you maybe could've traded down to add picks, which this team desperately needs to do.

I really doubt Hurts is the answer and have little faith he'll become a franchise guy, but he absolutely should get the chance and we should be trading down for more picks. This makes it harder.

7 minutes ago, Swoop said:

From what I have seen, it isn't the decision of going with Hurts that people are pissed with, it's the announcing it to the world in the begining of March with the draft over a month away. 

You're telling teams you aren't taking a QB when the possibility was up in the air and you maybe could've traded down to add picks, which this team desperately needs to do.

I really doubt Hurts is the answer and have little faith he'll become a franchise guy, but he absolutely should get the chance and we should be trading down for more picks. This makes it harder.

Yup basically took away any leverage they had in draft day trades for a team looking to move up for a QB now knowing the eagles are definitely not taking one. They continue their dumpster fire from last season. 

The fact that Hurts has talked to the media about being named the starter should kill any speculation that the report is false.  Would be extremely weird for a media savvy person such as himself to comment on a report as if it is a matter of fact unless the Eagles have communicated this same information to Hurts directly. 

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yup basically took away any leverage they had in draft day trades for a team looking to move up for a QB now knowing the eagles are definitely not taking one. They continue their dumpster fire from last season. 

How does this take away their leverage?  If anything since they aren't looking to draft a QB they are now an ideal spot for teams behind them that are looking to draft a QB to call the Eagles and maybe bid with other teams over that #6 spot. 

5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How does this take away their leverage?  If anything since they aren't looking to draft a QB they are now an ideal spot for teams behind them that are looking to draft a QB to call the Eagles and maybe bid with other teams over that #6 spot. 

I realized that after I posted that lol. I wasnt thinking clearly. Still you don't want to show your hand so soon, a lot can happen between now and then. 

I dont understand this thought process that Lurie is 'meddling'. There is no such thing as meddling when you own a team. You guys do not think that Lurie has not influenced who to hire, what players to keep or how he wants his team to look like? He let go of Chip because of conversations that he had with players on the plane ride back from a game.

You have to start worrying when Lurie has a weekly radio spot or ends up on the sidelines clapping his hands and talking directly to coaches.

Archived