Time to put Howie back in the basement? - Discuss Howie Roseman here

ToDie4Eagles

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Ultimate lightening in a bottle followed by a constant downward trajectory.

They smelled themselves after winning by a method that was clearly unsustainable.

It‘s not lightning in a bottle if you are a winning franchise for decades.

But hey, you all can feel what you want.

It‘s all feelings, no facts though.

Just now, Infam said:

It‘s not lightning in a bottle if you are a winning franchise for decades.

But hey, you all can feel what you want.

It‘s all feelings, no facts though.

That they've gotten worse since the Super Bowl is not feelings.

16-3 world champions. 

9-7 with 1 lucky playoff win.

9-7 no playoff win.

4-11-1.

No feelings. Objective fact.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

16-3 world champions. 

9-7 no playoff win.

4-11-1.

Sure. Except that metric is total garbage.

Too lazy to look it up, but I bet after winning it all pretty much every team will have less great seasons following.

Besides nobody could have known that Wentz would collapse like that.

10 minutes ago, Infam said:

Sure. Except that metric is total garbage.

Too lazy to look it up, but I bet after winning it all pretty much every team will have less great seasons following.

Besides nobody could have known that Wentz would collapse like that.

A rocketing collapse into one of the worst teams in football so soon after winning it all? No. They got lucky because a number of free agent signings paid off, and they couldn't replicate that, and Howie sucks at drafting. Including your boy Hurts.

You do realize a Howie Roseman GM'd team had never even won a playoff game prior to the Super Bowl, right?

Right?

8 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

A rocketing collapse into one of the worst teams in football so soon after winning it all? No. They got lucky because a number of free agent signings paid off, and they couldn't replicate that, and Howie sucks at drafting. Including your boy Hurts.

A franchise QB in the second is the best you can do to make that point? Cute.

The regular trash GM would not have given us three first round picks next draft. And we already have transitioned into a very young roster before that draft.

That‘s how it‘s done. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Infam said:

A franchise QB in the second is the best you can do to make a point? Cute.

The regular trash GM would not have given us three first round picks next draft. And we already have transitioned into a very young roster before that draft.

That‘s how it‘s done. 

Hurts is not a franchise QB yet. Not one thing to suggest they're sold on him.

And Howie hasn't made any picks yet. He still has to get impact players, which is not his strength.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 4:09 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

Hurts is not a franchise QB yet. Not one thing to suggest they're sold on him.

And Howie hasn't made any picks yet. He still has to get impact players, which is not his strength.

I don’t normally do this, but in Howie’s defense it’s not like he’s had many options for this season. He’s basically had to beg, borrow, and plead to get any semblance of a cap this season, because the team had to eat the Wentz trade. As such most of his FA signings were bargain basement one year deals. I’m sure he wasn’t anticipating Hurts being the starter this year. They expected the chance to groom Hurts for at least two seasons before they really needed to com to a decision with him and Wentz, but Carson forced their hand. He got the best trade he could with the hand he was given. With that being the case Howie’s moves set a lot of that stuff in motion to begin with. Ultimately this team is much better set up to make moves in 2022 than this season. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t normally do this, but in Howie’s defense it’s not like he’s had many options for this season. He’s basically had to beg, borrow, and plead to get any semblance of a cap this season, because the team had to eat the Wentz trade. As such most of his FA signings were bargain basement one year deals. I’m sure he wasn’t anticipating Hurts being the starter this year. They expected the chance to groom Hurts for at least two seasons before they really needed to com to a decision with him and Wentz, but Carson forced their hand. He got the best trade he could with the hand he was given. With that being the case Howie’s moves set a lot of that stuff in motion to begin with. Ultimately this team is much better set up to make moves in 2022 than this season. 

Being set up is one thing. He still has to actually get playmakers, which isn't his strength.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Being set up is one thing. He still has to actually get playmakers, which isn't his strength.

Agreed.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:47 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

16-3 world champions. 

9-7 no playoff win.

4-11-1.

Doug did a podcast recently with the Athletic, it’s a little more than an hour and listens like a job interview.  The Podcast itself focuses on an NFL coaches weekly\monthly life from Feb to Jan.   
 He did say towards the end of it that his biggest regret was not hitting the reset button so to speak in March after the SB. Because you lose so many players each year, and if you’re successful, you also lose coaches, plus your game plans, and offensive system overall needs to evolve as well from year to year.  

• Like 3

On 11/7/2021 at 3:31 PM, Infam said:

Sigh. Sure. Enjoy the SB won by that same clown show.

He found a bevy of short term FA's who filled the critical roles he whiffed on in draft after draft. I'm happy the team won but in retrospect they won it all more in spite of him rather than because of him.

4 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

He found a bevy of short term FA's who filled the critical roles he whiffed on in draft after draft. I'm happy the team won but in retrospect they won it all more in spite of him rather than because of him.

You just chose to blame him. Somehow I knew no matter what he does some idiots will always find a narrative where it‘s all his fault.

Win the SB? Must be despite him. Have picks work out? Must be someone else. Find a ton of picks to reshape the team? 
List goes on and on.

Fine, you go with unjustified hatred. If we ever do get a new GM (thankfully that‘s not going to happen anytime soon) you‘ll see how things work out.

Want a taste? Look at the beloved talent evaluator Douglas over at the Jets. 

5 hours ago, Infam said:

You just chose to blame him. Somehow I knew no matter what he does some idiots will always find a narrative where it‘s all his fault.

Win the SB? Must be despite him. Have picks work out? Must be someone else. Find a ton of picks to reshape the team? 
List goes on and on.

Fine, you go with unjustified hatred. If we ever do get a new GM (thankfully that‘s not going to happen anytime soon) you‘ll see how things work out.

His track record in the draft blames him. If he performed the best, I'd happily say he's the best. He hasn't and he's not.

Again, P-Rob, Long, Ajayi, etc. were short term repairs for holes he failed to fill via the draft. Wentz was the only Pro Bowl prospect drafted under his time as GM, and he's gone. The players they draft and keep as starters (because they must) are mostly below average players compared to their peers.

On the talent evaluation side Howie fails consistently and has to turn to FA to compensate. A GM is required to build a roster that is a legit long term contender, and that should win a SB or three during that window of sustained excellence. traditionally, that is done with home grown talent. If a GM can do that, be thankful and keep him. If he can't, thank him and replace him with someone better. 

I don't hate him. I don't personally know him. I look objectively at his track record of talent acquisition and I find him woefully inadequate in his results. At the end of the day, he is the GM and therefore, he is 100% responsible for the talent on the roster. If his scouts stink, he built that scouting team so it's HIS failure. If he is going rogue and off script because he likes a player the scouts don't, it's HIS failure when the player stinks. If the owner is meddling and screwing up the drafts, he has to have the courage, gravitas, and ability to stop it. If he doesn't command that respect, it's HIS failure. Bottom line, it doesn't matter what causes the addition of substandard prospects, HE is 100% responsible because he is the GM. Any consequences, if there actually are any, are HIS to bear.

You see, he has a job to do and he is only doing part of that job at a high level. His constant substandard performance is primarily in one area. Unfortunately, it's the most important area, the draft. That's where dynasties are built and yes, dynasty is the standard. Anything less isn't good enough because somebody else will build one if you don't, and they will be the favorite to win a few SB's during an approx. 5 year window. 

I don't know how a new GM would work out but Howie has convinced me of exactly how things will work out if he stays. The core of the team will be built with below average-to-average at best talent, and augmented with short term FA cast offs, who, while not great versus their peers, are still better than what the Eagles have. 

I never mentioned the Jets so save the straw man.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Infam said:

List goes on and on.

Did you hear multiple Eagles broadcasts last year where the announcers were ripping Howie's bad drafting? It's not hatred.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 2:48 AM, NOTW said:

Did you hear multiple Eagles broadcasts last year where the announcers were ripping Howie's bad drafting? It's not hatred.

Actually, if BLG and McMullen agree on something it's probably wrong. Those guys will firmly steer me the other way every time.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:07 AM, Infam said:

Fine, you go with unjustified hatred.

This dumpster fire of a team is all on the Accountant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Perforator said:

This dumpster fire of a team is all on the Accountant.

That's a bit harsh.  See Detroit Lions, NY Jets, Washington WTF, Jacksonville Jaguars for dumpster fires.  (It can get worse)

This upcoming draft will set the trajectory for this franchise for the next decade.  Either they hit and Eagles are back on the rise, or its back to the 1970s for this team.

I hear what you're saying about eating Wentz contract and all.  This team has failed at the draft time and time again.  I really hope they fix it this season.  Like I've mentioned before Reagor over Jefferson....I'm not over that one.

The Accountant at least got this team from out of the awful Chip Kelly deals somehow.  If you can't credit him for that accomplishment, then I don't believe you can have a fair discussion.

• Like 1

I can already see the narrative for no changes at the end of the year. The offense improved, defense improved, coaching improved,  blah, blah, blah. 

It still doesn’t change the fact that Howie can’t draft. He’s blown 2 out the last 3 first round picks and drafted one Pro-Bowler in his career who’s not even on the team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

I can already see the narrative for no changes at the end of the year. The offense improved, defense improved, coaching improved,  blah, blah, blah. 

It still doesn’t change the fact that Howie can’t draft. He’s blown 2 out the last 3 first round picks and drafted one Pro-Bowler in his career who’s not even on the team. 

Way to keep your eye on the prize 

• Like 1

Smith, Dickerson, Gainwell, Williams, and even McPherson all have made contributions to this team this year. That’s a major improvement from some of Howie’s other drafts. Now it’s debatable if all of these guys are good players, but they are contributing to the team and that’s a plus for Howie. If this team makes the playoffs there is no shot Howie gets fired. 

16 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Smith, Dickerson, Gainwell, Williams, and even McPherson all have made contributions to this team this year. That’s a major improvement from some of Howie’s other drafts. Now it’s debatable if all of these guys are good players, but they are contributing to the team and that’s a plus for Howie. If this team makes the playoffs there is no shot Howie gets fired. 

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. 

23 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. 

Let’s hope he catches a few more nuts then. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 1:07 AM, Infam said:

List goes on and on.

There’s only 2 players left on the squad from the 16 and 17 drafts. Those guys should be basically running the squad in their prime, but most of them are gone and basically marginal players here and in their new locations. Howie has not done well selecting players in the draft though this year he seems to have finally got some guys who are actually contributing. Hopefully he’s turned the corner.