EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I seriously doubt Paye is higher than 20th or so on the Eagles board. Schwartz is long gone.

Kwitty Paye is 6'4" 

Brandon Graham is 6'2"

Schwartz was not in Philly when Graham was drafted.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Espn

There's sizable buzz about Alabama wide receiver Jaylen Waddle as a playmaker who could be the second wide receiver taken. "He's the best player in the entire draft," said an NFC personnel executive.

We're hearing Waddle enters the draft believing his chances to go in the top 10 are strong, so any trade up might require receiver-needy teams in the teens to move accordingly. Receiver positioning is always tough to predict because there are so many good ones, and teams know they can score big on Day 2 playmakers. But enough teams see shades of Tyreek Hill that Waddle won't fall far.

There are teams ahead of Philly in the draft order who believe the Eagles are trying to trade up from No. 12 to make sure they get the speedy Waddle. Part of the issue here is that the Eagles, following their trade down from No. 6 to No. 12, are now parked directly behind NFC East rivals Dallas and the Giants in the draft order, and obviously aren't going to be able to trade with those teams. They believe (accurately) that the Giants would be a threat to take Waddle at No. 11 if he fell that far, so if they want him, they have to get up to No. 9 or higher. Detroit at No. 7 and Carolina at No. 8 are two teams that would be interested in trading down and could take the Eagles' call.

3 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Per Espn

There's sizable buzz about Alabama wide receiver Jaylen Waddle as a playmaker who could be the second wide receiver taken. "He's the best player in the entire draft," said an NFC personnel executive.

We're hearing Waddle enters the draft believing his chances to go in the top 10 are strong, so any trade up might require receiver-needy teams in the teens to move accordingly. Receiver positioning is always tough to predict because there are so many good ones, and teams know they can score big on Day 2 playmakers. But enough teams see shades of Tyreek Hill that Waddle won't fall far.

There are teams ahead of Philly in the draft order who believe the Eagles are trying to trade up from No. 12 to make sure they get the speedy Waddle. Part of the issue here is that the Eagles, following their trade down from No. 6 to No. 12, are now parked directly behind NFC East rivals Dallas and the Giants in the draft order, and obviously aren't going to be able to trade with those teams. They believe (accurately) that the Giants would be a threat to take Waddle at No. 11 if he fell that far, so if they want him, they have to get up to No. 9 or higher. Detroit at No. 7 and Carolina at No. 8 are two teams that would be interested in trading down and could take the Eagles' call.

Then why trade down at all.  I would have been fine with Waddle at 6, now teams know you are desperate, and you are going to give up draft capital you need to get talent on this roster.

8 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I seriously doubt Paye is higher than 20th or so on the Eagles board. Schwartz is long gone.

Gannon may like taller DEs, and Paye isn't exceptional enough to compensate for his lack of length.

I also doubt Parsons is in their top 20 since he hasn't shown the coverage skills to be a 3 down LB. Thus a gamble unless Gannon wants a rush LB.

As far as OL, who knows how Stoutland ranks them, I suspect the scouts defer to his judgement (has the track record to earn such respect).

If Gannon is going to go cover 2/cover 3 and give CBs deep help, how high do they rank Horn and Surtain, maybe Surtain higher b/c of his potential to be an all pro safety down the road?

:roll:

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Really interesting read for those of you who care about analytics.

Without reading it , I’m guessing he is talking about McNeil from Nc state  , and I agree , hell of a player . Had him and St Juste as two of my favorite defensive players 

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

Yep.  Moehrig's value seems to have increased to a late 1st round value because of the lack of other options at safety.  Two months ago he was listed (by most scouts) as a mid-late 2nd round pick (some had him even later).

I think this is where mock drafts and top 50 rankings get things wrong.  If he gets picked by a team in the first round it's not because they just moved him into that position but because they think that's where he should be valued.  I mean people were talking up Barmore as a potential late 1st round pick but now he's dropping.  I don't think that what is actually happening.  We are just getting more information about players.  

I liked all the players the Eagles drafted in 2020 even though I disliked the value of most of the picks. I want great athletes on this team both offensively and defensively. Waddle is still my guy.

It's amazing that 20 players are going top 10 this year. Howie was dumb to trade down.

7 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I think some of the production issues were definitely with how he was used. I think he definitely has potential, but want no part of him at 12.

Now if we traded down and he was sitting their late round 1, sure, but that won't happen and he won't be there long enough.

He won’t make it to the 2nd round so technically he’s a first round pick, but ehh, Big 10 O lines?  
 This isn’t a Jim Schwartz defense where the the front four get to do whatever they want and are the focus.  Gannon’s secondary is as important as the front four. 

More espn

Getting defensive

With all of this talk about quarterbacks and receivers, where will the defensive players start going off the board? It's entirely possible that Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons could be Detroit's pick at No. 7. The Lions believe they need major help at the inside linebacker position and see Parsons as the kind of sideline-to-sideline terror who could anchor the middle of their defense for years to come. Could they trade down and still get him? Probably. But if no trade materializes, the Lions would consider Parsons at 7 along with other options such as the receivers and tackles.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Then why trade down at all.  I would have been fine with Waddle at 6, now teams know you are desperate, and you are going to give up draft capital you need to get talent on this roster.

Because you're giving up less than what you got for 6? Obviously.

9 minutes ago, RLC said:

Really interesting read for those of you who care about analytics.

Good read, thanks.  I also like his drafts.

6 hours ago, ManuManu said:

I like a lot of the players here, but that would be underwhelming. 

Interesting.  Most of those players would be on my board. 

9 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Because you're giving up less than what you got for 6? Obviously.

Probably not.  Eagles are going to botch this big time, that is what Lowie does.

10 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

The Washington Football Team is reportedly looking at scenarios to move up in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft.  

Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler and Dan Graziano, Washington "has done legwork" on a potential trade with teams "in or around the top 10," but it's not believed to be targeting a quarterback. 

Seems crazy that they would target anything but a QB.  They have to figure to be in the division mix again, so if next year drafting in the 20s is the plan... what are they going to do?  Rely on Fitz-magic?  Wait until their boy Cousins is back on the market in 2023?

They have some talent and are building elite lines, they need a QB before they are in the conversation for anything.

You can't win anymore with Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Elvis Grbac etc no matter how great you make your defense.  Different league now.  

26 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Gannon may like taller DEs, and Paye isn't exceptional enough to compensate for his lack of length.

Kwitty Paye is 6'4" 

Brandon Graham is 6'2"

Schwartz was not in Philly when Graham was drafted.

Adding to my earlier reply

Eagles draft history suggests this is the exact type of DE they like.  Minus the Chip Kelly 3-4 defense drafts, look at the guys we have drafted.  Paye is exactly what the Eagles do. 

image.png.609e29c59a85e6ca6bceceb6c6766782.png

You said Gannon may like taller DE's, Colts starters at DE last year 6'3" and 6'4".

During his stint as Colt's and Vikings assistant coach back to 2014, those defenses only had 2 of 14 starters that were taller than 6'4"

5 minutes ago, John_C said:

You can't win anymore with Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Elvis Grbac etc no matter how great you make your defense.  Different league now.  

While I agree with this statement, the guy who has won the most Super Bowls in this current era, is more physically those guys than he is Mahomme's, Wilson or Jackson.

18 minutes ago, John_C said:

Seems crazy that they would target anything but a QB.  They have to figure to be in the division mix again, so if next year drafting in the 20s is the plan... what are they going to do?  Rely on Fitz-magic?  Wait until their boy Cousins is back on the market in 2023?

They have some talent and are building elite lines, they need a QB before they are in the conversation for anything.

They are targeting a QB.  

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

There is about 6 guys the Eagles are rumored to be trading up for.  And about 6 guys that are labeled the "best non QB in the draft".  It's all BS.  I do however love Waddle as a pro prospect and would take him over Smith every time.  But I don't believe the Eagles are really interested in trading up.  They can't be that f-ing stupid................right.....?    .......right?

I think we're going to be in full pre-draft nervous breakdown mode on the blog fairly soon.  We know they can be that stupid.  

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

I think we're going to be in full pre-draft nervous breakdown mode on the blog fairly soon.  

Not me, but I will be able to get the pick 2 minutes before the restayas.

58 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Very Eagles thing to do.  Watch Waddle go to the Giants and torch us for the next decade.

55 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

More espn

Getting defensive

With all of this talk about quarterbacks and receivers, where will the defensive players start going off the board? It's entirely possible that Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons could be Detroit's pick at No. 7. The Lions believe they need major help at the inside linebacker position and see Parsons as the kind of sideline-to-sideline terror who could anchor the middle of their defense for years to come. Could they trade down and still get him? Probably. But if no trade materializes, the Lions would consider Parsons at 7 along with other options such as the receivers and tackles.

Parsons is literally all over the board.  "Character issues" have him sliding down to maybe mid-1st, but then there's talk like this.  This draft will certainly be interesting.

Archived