EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I'm reading a few reports that Micah Parsons is falling and he may be available later than we previously thought.  Thoughts on Parsons?  The 'off-the-field' issues sound like maybe a lack of maturity, so that's a concern.  Still, we're at 12 now, we could trade back a few spots, get an extra pick and still land the top linebacker in this class?  Hell yes. 

Depends if Gannon thinks he's a good fit. Does he have the instincts to play MLB? Can he cover?

If he's limited in Gannon's scheme, then he can put up great numbers in shorts but not have as much value to the Eagles as to a team that would use him as a pass rusher.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

While he was drafting atrociously he was also ruining our cap situation.  He does nothing well.

Except win. That's the measure of a GM, how does your team do over time.

For example, winning the next two years is irrelevant, building a competitive team by 2023 is what matters.

Most teams go through rebuilds, Howie has done that twice (after 2012, after 2015). Third time is the charm.

16 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Not to sound like a grump here but what's the point of that tweet?  The ref did his job and penalized a college player for celebrating when there are rules in place that clearly state excessive celebration is a penalty.  

Imagine being the ref getting judged for doing his job 100% the right way.

Agreed, it's a dumb celebration and deserves a flag. Ref was totally in the right. 

12 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Funny, I was listening to Ryan Leaf and Alex Marvez last night on NFL Radio and they made a couple of interesting points:

— CIN would be crazy not to go OL with the #5 pick; neither of them believe Chase will be the pick there 

— Leaf figures Horn and Surtain will go #7 and 8 to DET and CAR.  DEN at #9 is also in dire need of a CB

Well that's my point, most people would say the Bengals and Falcons should take o line. I would bet money that neither do. 

5 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Interesting.  

So who falls?  Sounds like it's possible Chase could fall to us?

They figured Pitts #4 to ATL, Chase #6 to MIA — that would leave Smith and Waddle on the board past the top 10 in their opinion.

I think the only way Chase falls is if another OL player like Darrisaw or Tucker goes off the board early, or Paye gets over-drafted because edge rusher is viewed as premium even if the player isn’t 

5 minutes ago, RLC said:

Eagles & Waddle

The Chaos if the Eagles take Lance or Fields at 12...

I wouldn’t mind Lance at all.  Hurts plays one year to earn a job somewhere, bringing back a draft pick, and Flacco mentors Lance behind the scenes.

Fields would be an awful pick.  Slow to process and go through his reads.  Doesn’t even have the dynamic mobility Cunningham had to offset those shortcomings — he would be 4 years of bad QB play 

If they did we would need another 2 infinity first round pick to complete the gauntlet 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

If you listen to what Schefter said, that's a misleading headline. 

5 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I wouldn’t mind Lance at all.  Hurts plays one year to earn a job somewhere, bringing back a draft pick, and Flacco mentors Lance behind the scenes.

Fields would be an awful pick.  Slow to process and go through his reads.  Doesn’t even have the dynamic mobility Cunningham had to offset those shortcomings — he would be 4 years of bad QB play 

OK so what happens then if somehow Hurts proves he is a starter and does great things for the Eagles.  Then you're stuck with a high investment in Trey Lance and he's not going to be the backup.  You're not getting equal return for him in his 2nd year with no playing time.

There in lies the horrible situation the Eagles put themselves in to drafting Hurts last year and trading Wentz.  Jalen Hurts is the pendulum which the fate of the Eagles swings.  

22 minutes ago, austinfan said:

For example, winning the next two years is irrelevant, building a competitive team by 2023 is what matters.

Most teams go through rebuilds, Howie has done that twice (after 2012, after 2015). Third time is the charm.

4-11-1

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

OK so what happens then if somehow Hurts proves he is a starter and does great things for the Eagles.  Then you're stuck with a high investment in Trey Lance and he's not going to be the backup.  You're not getting equal return for him in his 2nd year with no playing time.

There in lies the horrible situation the Eagles put themselves in to drafting Hurts last year and trading Wentz.  Jalen Hurts is the pendulum which the fate of the Eagles swings.  

You take that as a win and yes Lance is the backup for now until a team inquires about him

12 minutes ago, RLC said:

If you listen to what Schefter said, that's a misleading headline. 

The headline asks the question could they. Schefter put out there a team asked him if the eagles would want an extra first rounder to trade back. He said he has no idea if they WOULD be interested but if a team did trade a first it’s a team picking 20 or later

so the headline asks COULD they? schefter didn’t confirm or deny they could or couldn’t. He didn’t know.  But he actually discussed it if it COULD happen 

Basically what I said the other day. Moehrig I'd think would only be in a trade back scenario. Grant is good but too old. I suppose I'd gamble on Cisco if its a late round pick.

30 minutes ago, austinfan said:

You would have a competitive team this year if the 2017 and 2018 drafts had done exactly what the bolded in your post says.

2017 and 2018 draft yielded 13 players, only 5 are on the roster.  If you go 2016 - 2018, the draft yielded 21 players, and only 6 are still on the roster.

When you compound bad drafting with using draft capital to trade for  players that are not long term solutions, and then add bad contracts that cripple your cap situation during the rebuild, you have failed as a GM.

Wonder who the Ike and Marks show today will be pounding the table for.

Monday they were going off on how the Eagles need to trade up for Fields.

Yesterday they were going off on how the Eagles need to trade up for Surtain. 

Who will they obsess over today? 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Basically what I said the other day. Moehrig I'd think would only be in a trade back scenario. Grant is good but too old. I suppose I'd gamble on Cisco if its a late round pick.

Moehrig is a game changer.  I want the Eagles to trade back up to 26 to grab him if he is still available. 

There are lots of good players in the top 13. Don't trade up for anyone not named Pitts/Chase. Take the best remaining good player at 12.

This shouldn't be hard.

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Wonder who the Ike and Marks show today will be pounding the table for.

Monday they were going off on how the Eagles need to trade up for Fields.

Yesterday they were going off on how the Eagles need to trade up for Surtain. 

Who will they obsess over today? 

If we want a corner we are going to have to trade up.  Heard multiple outlets this morning talking about how the run on corners may start at 7.  On a positive not, at least Dallas may not get Surtain or Horn now, but neither will we.

28 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Couldn't disagree more about winning over the next 2 seasons.  As a fan it sounds reasonable because we will still be fans in 2023.  As a player, coach, scout, and this fan, wins always come first.  Winning is not irrelevant, it's truly the only relevant component.  

19 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Nothing horrible about it, all young QBs are lottery tickets, if you hit on a lottery ticket you don't whine about missing on another.

If the Eagles end up spending #12 and #53 to land their starting QB for this decade, great move!

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You would have a competitive team this year if the 2017 and 2018 drafts had done exactly what the bolded in your post says.

2017 and 2018 draft yielded 13 players, only 5 are on the roster.  If you go 2016 - 2018, the draft yielded 21 players, and only 6 are still on the roster.

When you compound bad drafting with using draft capital to trade for  players that are not long term solutions, and then add bad contracts that cripple your cap situation during the rebuild, you have failed as a GM.

Why do you talk about the number of draft picks? If numbers matter, you should always trade down to garner more draft picks, you know, a couple dozen on the third day.

8 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:
Moehrig I'd think would only be in a trade back scenario. 

Yep.  Moehrig's value seems to have increased to a late 1st round value because of the lack of other options at safety.  Two months ago he was listed (by most scouts) as a mid-late 2nd round pick (some had him even later).

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Why do you talk about the number of draft picks? If numbers matter, you should always trade down to garner more draft picks, you know, a couple dozen on the third day.

Number matter, but not in the way you are trying to change the argument.  We drafted 21 players from 2016 - 2018, 6 are still on the roster.  

The number that matters, 28% of the players drafted in that span are still on the roster.  That is horrible.

4 minutes ago, RLC said:

I was half way in on him if he was at 37 but I'm all the way out

If you had a little hope he would slide, looks like 7 is the absolute latest 

Archived