EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

You guys may as well stop discussing all the possible options.  Come to grips with it now, a good at everything but not spectacular at anything player.

With the 12th selection in the 2021 NFL draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select Kwitty Paye, DE, Michigan.

Is Kwity Paye a pass rusher to alter the Steelers 2021 NFL Draft plans? -  Behind the Steel Curtain

Sorry to ruin the pick for the guys who want to see it live.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

If you had a little hope he would slide, looks like 7 is the absolute latest 

The lions just being the lions. They were going to trade up and give up more picks for chase when they need to rebuild that roster that has a ton of holes and potentially need a QB next year (i don’t think goff is their long term answer). Sounds like the Falcons saved the lions from themselves.(i would take him at 7 if he were there but giving up picks to go get him when you aren’t a Wr away and have a ton of needs seems ridiculous to me) 

36 minutes ago, greend said:

You take that as a win and yes Lance is the backup for now until a team inquires about him

except in that scenario, Lance likely never really gets to show any kind of value, and his stock diminishes over time, making it a wasted asset other than a hedge against Hurts not panning out as this assumes. 

I do not believe in Hurts (would LOVE to be wrong) but even I don't want to take this QB mess and make it even worse.

Sink or swim with Hurts all season - like even if he stinks for 8 weeks straight, play him weeks 9-17 - so there is no doubt what we have after '21.  Then adjust if needed in 22.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You guys may as well stop discussing all the possible options.  Come to grips with it now, a good at everything but not spectacular at anything player.

With the 12th selection in the 2021 NFL draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select Kwitty Paye, DE, Michigan.

Is Kwity Paye a pass rusher to alter the Steelers 2021 NFL Draft plans? -  Behind the Steel Curtain

I've been saying that, too. I've never been more sure of anything when it comes to this team.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The lions just being the lions. They were going to trade up and give up more picks for chase when they need to rebuild that roster that has a ton of holes and potentially need a QB next year (i don’t think goff is their long term answer). Sounds like the Falcons saved the lions from themselves.(i would take him at 7 if he were there but giving up picks to go get him when you aren’t a Wr away and have a ton of needs seems ridiculous to me) 

Yup, also sounds like they think Bengals are going Chase so they wanted to jump them. Atlanta probably wants QB compensation which doesn't make sense for a WR. It's amazing how Lions can cycle through HC's and GM's and they still are exactly the same, every time. 

3 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I've been saying that, too. I've never been more sure of anything when it comes to this team.

I said it the day they traded down to 12.  This is exactly who Lowie is.  Corner, Safety and LB are more in need of talent, but lets keep drafting DE's.

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Suicide GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Yup, also sounds like they think Bengals are going Chase so they wanted to jump them. Atlanta probably wants QB compensation which doesn't make sense for a WR. It's amazing how Lions can cycle through HC's and GM's and they still are exactly the same, every time. 

I was thinking about this last night, as I've never been this down on the Eagles in my life.  Even in 1998, as I didn't know what the owner was back then and we could look forward to a high draft pick and a new coach.  What other fan bases have little to get excited about?  The Lions are indeed a sorry franchise.  On the bright side, they did get a lot for Stafford, but where do they go from here?  Probably nowhere.

The Texans are a garbage franchise.  The Hopkins trade should be studied and laughed at for years to come.  Endless streak of poor decisions.  Seemed like they were lucky to have a good young franchise QB... but now that has gone to hell as well.

The Bears just signed Andy Dalton to be their starter?  And somehow retain the same GM?  They continue to field a good defense, but wow have they missed on QBs for so long.  Hard to find any reasons for optimism there.

Then of course, the Eagles.  Clown owner and his lackey have squandered all resources and bled the talent out of the team, while also destroying the cap situation.  The only good news is there are more draft assets accumulated for 2022, and they seem to be running out of people to blame.

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yup....I've pretty much come to terms with Paye being the pick at #12. 

It's not that I don't like the player, but it has Howie written all over it. 

So much for getting a player that can contribute this coming season or addressing vacant glaring holes at WR and/or CB positions. 

On the upside, this will more than likely be the final nail in Howie's coffin. 

17 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So you're saying tomorrow is

image.png.883c47445b745392c2f1cdb860b193d4.png

Man I'm good with Microsoft Paint

3 minutes ago, John_C said:

I was thinking about this last night, as I've never been this down on the Eagles in my life.  Even in 1998, as I didn't know what the owner was back then and we could look forward to a high draft pick and a new coach.  What other fan bases have little to get excited about?  The Lions are indeed a sorry franchise.  On the bright side, they did get a lot for Stafford, but where do they go from here?  Probably nowhere.

The Texans are a garbage franchise.  The Hopkins trade should be studied and laughed at for years to come.  Endless streak of poor decisions.  Seemed like they were lucky to have a good young franchise QB... but now that has gone to hell as well.

The Bears just signed Andy Dalton to be their starter?  And somehow retain the same GM?  They continue to field a good defense, but wow have they missed on QBs for so long.  Hard to find any reasons for optimism there.

Then of course, the Eagles.  Clown owner and his lackey have squandered all resources and bled the talent out of the team, while also destroying the cap situation.  The only good news is there are more draft assets accumulated for 2022, and they seem to be running out of people to blame.

Lions have to be the most depressing fanbase in the NFL. No playoff wins since 1992! Only 3 post season appearances in the last two decades. Then they have to watch Packers, Bears and Vikings who have had varying degrees of success over the same time period. 

Eagles are in a rough spot at the moment no doubt. Nothing overly exciting with them, bad cap and bad recent drafts will do that. They also have been a very unlikable group the last few years. 

10 minutes ago, John_C said:

TBF, the Bears have missed on QB’s since Sid Luckman.  Eric Kramer is like their 4th best QB.... Ever!

6 minutes ago, Swoop said:

For the record, I don't hate Paye as a prospect. I hate Paye at 12, though.

ESPN has him ranked as the 18th best prospect, of the guys ranked immediately behind him, I think Darrisaw, Phillips, Newsome and Jamin Davis are better prospects.

Paye has 11 1/2 sacks over 27 college games, and those numbers are inflated by multiple sack games against really bad teams.

He only has a sack in 9 of his 27 games, and only averages 4 tackles combines per game.  

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

ESPN has him ranked as the 18th best prospect, of the guys ranked immediately behind him, I think Darrisaw, Phillips, Newsome and Jamin Davis are better prospects.

Paye has 11 1/2 sacks over 27 college games, and those numbers are inflated by multiple sack games against really bad teams.

He only has a sack in 9 of his 27 games, and only averages 4 tackles combines per game.  

I think some of the production issues were definitely with how he was used. I think he definitely has potential, but want no part of him at 12.

Now if we traded down and he was sitting their late round 1, sure, but that won't happen and he won't be there long enough.

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

Depends if Gannon thinks he's a good fit. Does he have the instincts to play MLB? Can he cover?

If he's limited in Gannon's scheme, then he can put up great numbers in shorts but not have as much value to the Eagles as to a team that would use him as a pass rusher.

He’s the best defensive player in the draft, and he will be an All Pro as an MLB or ILB. There’s not a LB in this draft that can touch him sideline to sideline. 
 The only off the field issue I found for him had to do with a hazing incident that turned into a fight, Parsons though, was not the dude who told Humphries he would Sandusky him in the shower.   
 I’m guessing there’s more, teams hired PI’s and scouts talk to the janitors who know everything because they are at the stadium/practice facility longer than anyone. 

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Tutu Atwell is up to 160lbs. Exciting stuff. 

Did he add good muscle ??  If so, sounds like an Eagles pick to me.

42 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It''s hard to know if any of these rumors have any real truth to them.  I think the Lions are a big wildcard but they may not want anyone to get ahead of them for either Slater or Sewell.  

I seriously doubt Paye is higher than 20th or so on the Eagles board. Schwartz is long gone.

Gannon may like taller DEs, and Paye isn't exceptional enough to compensate for his lack of length.

I also doubt Parsons is in their top 20 since he hasn't shown the coverage skills to be a 3 down LB. Thus a gamble unless Gannon wants a rush LB.

As far as OL, who knows how Stoutland ranks them, I suspect the scouts defer to his judgement (has the track record to earn such respect).

If Gannon is going to go cover 2/cover 3 and give CBs deep help, how high do they rank Horn and Surtain, maybe Surtain higher b/c of his potential to be an all pro safety down the road?

1 hour ago, RLC said:

He is the worst , you can tell by many of his tweets , he makes crap up .just awful 

44 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

except in that scenario, Lance likely never really gets to show any kind of value, and his stock diminishes over time, making it a wasted asset other than a hedge against Hurts not panning out as this assumes. 

I do not believe in Hurts (would LOVE to be wrong) but even I don't want to take this QB mess and make it even worse.

Sink or swim with Hurts all season - like even if he stinks for 8 weeks straight, play him weeks 9-17 - so there is no doubt what we have after '21.  Then adjust if needed in 22.

As long as he didn't do anything to diminish his stock you could still get some kind of value. That said I have no confidence in Hurts

Archived