EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

That's not a surprise.  That's The Fear.  Also probably more expected as to act like a 'cup' should we get kicked in the nuts.

Paye is 100000% Graham.  Might be a dependable starter but will never be elite.  We need elite. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

That's not a surprise.  That's The Fear.  Also probably more expected as to act like a 'cup' should we get kicked in the nuts.

I frankly don’t think it is really that surprising. His range imo was likely 15-25 area. So three picks ahead. The eagles have a need at DE and it’s a position that they value and covet. Barnett is here this year but might be gone in 2021. Graham is old and is eventually going to hit a decline. Sweat is a nice rotational DE but is also not under contract after the 2021 season. Then you have ostman as your 4th DE. They have a short term and long term need. Plus paye is a guy i feel they believe can play the game like Graham and potentially move him inside at times. I’m betting since he’s a pass rusher/DE his positional value increases his grade in their eyes. 

Locks to go in top 10 are (please add what I’m missing):

Lawrence, Wilson, Lance/Jones/Fields (whoever SF takes), Chase, Pitts, Sewell? So that’s 6 total?

Likely one of the QBs that SF doesn’t take, one of the CBs, one of the Bama WRs as well but not locks.

Yea, the negativity must be clearly only the fans fault, nothing to do with the actual decisions the team makes :wacko:

24 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The draft is fluid, I doubt Howie knows what he's going to do because odds are someone ahead of him is going to make a surprise move.

I'd be shocked by Paye at #12, because unless something really crazy happens, there should be 2-3 players the Eagles consider better on the board at #12, Slater, Horn, Smith.

Nor are they desperate for a DE, they have 4 starters plus Sweat and Ridgeway, they're just as likely to take another project like Sweat a bit later in the draft.

Who are the 4 starters ??  You are becoming a clown.

A503F7F6-A458-4BEF-8E34-705C2DF83D2B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yikes they are thin at DE. Bet it gets addressed day 2.

CB>WR>LB>DE>S>OL

They can definitely get a starting CB & WR by the end of day 2. Hopefully they grab a LB & DE or S if the board falls favorably.

11 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Avery also moved to LB, Leo is like 29, and Ostman can’t even reach jag status. I’m guessing from his post he’s talking all DL, as if Graham Cox Hargrave Barnett with almost zero depth is fine.

20 minutes ago, downundermike said:

They have four starters on the DL plus Sweat and Ridgeway. So if they draft a DE or DT, they'll sit in 2021.

So they can look at projects later in the draft to develop, there's no urgency to add a starter this year. Which means they'd only take Paye as the BPA.

Name calling makes you sound like you're some pimply faced 14 year old. You're aren't, are you?

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Avery also moved to LB, Leo is like 29, and Ostman can’t even reach jag status. I’m guessing from his post he’s talking all DL, as if Graham Cox Hargrave Barnett with almost zero depth is fine.

I’d be open to DE at #70 or 84 if someone like Rashad Weaver is there, or Carlos Basham slides out of the 2nd round where he’s likely to go.  There’s no value at all in the first round, and I’m not sure I’d even be happy with someone like Ossai or Olujiari at #37.

If you make a bad DE pick in Round 1, you get boxed into drafting solely for need in Rounds 2 and 3.  That’s how drafts like 2017 happen.

It will be curious to see if Howie learned anything from that draft, or if he falls down that same hole.

39 minutes ago, austinfan said:

They have four starters on the DL plus Sweat and Ridgeway. So if they draft a DE or DT, they'll sit in 2021.

So they can look at projects later in the draft to develop, there's no urgency to add a starter this year. Which means they'd only take Paye as the BPA.

Name calling makes you sound like you're some pimply faced 14 year old. You're aren't, are you?

image.gif.dad203448b54b19a58a3a05b584d32ee.gif

Damn.

I'm a Cardinals fan but that hit to Harper's head was just messed up and unnecessary. Really hope Bryce is ok.

33 minutes ago, Westbrook#36 said:

Damn.

I'm a Cardinals fan but that hit to Harper's head was just messed up and unnecessary. Really hope Bryce is ok.

He's fine. Somehow escaped with just a light shiner

On 4/28/2021 at 3:32 AM, vikas83 said:

If any of Waddle, Smith, Surtain or Horn are on the board and they take Paye...I just give up.

Agreed but I’d add Slater or a tradeback into the 20’s before Paye

1 minute ago, The guy in France said:

Agreed but I’d add Slater or a tradeback into the 20’s before Paye

Without doubt. I'm not against taking Slater or trading back a little and taking another player. I'm dead against Paye at #12.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:56 AM, John_C said:

If that is true, that's great... my concern was other reports that led me to believe he would be a solid starting interior OL.   Taking an OL that high, I want a stud tackle, or if they play inside someone like Brandon Brooks that really impacts the game.  

The Eagles roster is so depleted, I'm really looking for difference makers at any position first and foremost.

Be good to know if Stoutland believes that Seamulo is starting material at C or I guess he could become a reserve G if Slater has to slide to RT

Tim McManus from ESPN:

You can bet there are people inside the building who view Fields as one of the top three quarterbacks in this draft class. There is a thought one of the QBs could be in play should they slide to 12.

McShay said the same thing a few days ago that there was someone in the Eagles FO pushing for Fields.

6 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Tim McManus from ESPN:

McShay said the same thing a few days ago that there was someone in the Eagles FO pushing for Fields.

I just can't see it though. I mean I'm sure there are people within the organisation that do like and want Fields. Who could blame them for that. I just don't think they are going to take him. 

7 hours ago, schuy7 said:

What's the time for each pick again? I forgot every year. 10 on day 1, 7 for day 2, 5 for day 3?

7 for round 2, and 5 for each remaining round. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just can't see it though. I mean I'm sure there are people within the organisation that do like and want Fields. Who could blame them for that. I just don't think they are going to take him. 

A lot will depend on how the draft shakes out. If only 3 QBs go before 12, along with the 3 WRs, both OL, both CBs, and Pitts, then the Eagles are s*** out of luck. At that point, unless a substantial trade down offer comes, it’s either QB or Paye. 

1 minute ago, D-Shiznit said:

A lot will depend on how the draft shakes out. If only 3 QBs go before 12, along with the 3 WRs, both OL and CBs, along with Pitts, then the Eagles are s*** out of luck. At that point, unless a substantial trade down offer comes, it’s either QB or Paye. 

Agreed. I think Howie has, once again, misread things. I think when he took the trade down he thought he had confidence in the board but it's changed. 

Archived