Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

2 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Owners:  for most of them ownership is their side gig.  They didn't make the money to but the team by owning other teams and moving up the chain.  It's a fun thing for them.  But the hubris often needed to become a Billionaire or the hubris often associated with the inheritance of fortunes doesn't go away. 

As an outsider looking in it appears that Lurie let Andy run the show because he did it well.  The players loved him, the coaches loved him, the whole organization loved and trusted him.  Lurie's hubris was tempered by trust in Andy.

Then Chip comes in and it's exciting for a season then Chip's personality and power hungry nature takes over.  Chip believes he is the smartest guy in the room.  It ends poorly and it changes Lurie's attitude.   I think the shift to Lurie declaring internally and by action externally something to the effect of "this is my team and nobody is going to threaten that truth again" takes place.  He clearly did not want a personality like Chip and so he admittedly chose the polar opposite in Doug.  

Of course, what he learned is that he didn't trust that end of the spectrum either and his hubris ascended.  I have no idea what our new coach is like but it feels more like an attempt to recreate Andy to me.  A young, respected coach who has been mentored by good coaches that has a plan to run a team.

I'll reserve judgment on Sirianni.  As for Lurie, I hope Sirianni is a guy he trusts and he backs off a bit.

I've been wondering as of late if Sirianni sees some of this stuff and regrets what he got himself in to.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:09 PM, ToastJenkins said:

Slater would just be too good to pass on. No complaints if we take him

I am and have always been a 'lines first' guy.  The DL prospects in Round 1 don't excite me.   But, Slater and Davis absolutely do.   Prior to the injury, I thought #12 was the sweet spot for Davis.   Now, he can likely be had at #37... so, I wouldn't be as happy with him at 12.   But, Slater at 12, no one can really argue against that.   He's got positional versatility and likely would be the top backup across 4 positions on the OL, until his time to slide into the lineup comes (very soon).   And, he's likely a guy who can be a Pro Bowl/All-Pro at OG for a long time.  I'm not sure that his ceiling is quite that high at OT, especially LT, but there's still a chance of that.  

The flip side is that the positional value at 12 also aligns to CB, which is another area that this team is desperate for improvement.  So, going that direction at 12 also makes a ton of sense, Surtain or Horn and I can't complain.  However, if they take Farley at 12, especially with Slater, Surtain or Horn on the board, and I will be a VERY unhappy person.

And as bad as our WRs are... I think that this team should fight the urge to draft another WR in the first round this year.   That would be compounding previous mistakes.  Give Sirianni and Co. a year to work with last year's draft picks and go from there.  Decide who can play and in what roles, and go into 2022 draft with a plan to 'fix the weapons'.  This year should be much more about fixing the foundation of the team.   

Of course, the QB question continues to loom large.  Hurts has the benefit of his legs, but if he's forced to rely on them too much, there is the very real possibility of stunting his growth.  But, frankly, I never saw him as a future NFL starter when he was drafted, and I still don't see it.   Right now, he strikes me as a journeyman type starter at best... along the lines of a Tyrod Taylor, with a little better arm talent.  He's going to get the chance to prove me wrong this season... but there's the very real possibility that this team will be very heavily involved in the QB market in the 2022 offseason.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TEW said:

It needs to be reviewed, for sure, and I don't see why it would be "insane" for the owner to be involved. He's the owner after all. As far as one bad call goes, that's not how things work. It's far more likely that a series of mistakes causes a loss than one bad call. That's the entire point. Analytics will often show you that the cumulative effect of a series of mistakes were more impactful in the loss than one bad call.

Again, the writers of this article said on air that it's common in the NFL for owners to do this. It's not just Lurie. It's a widespread thing. Now, perhaps the Eagles place more emphasis on analytics or are more detailed oriented, but it's not like this is process unique to the Eagles.

"Liking it" is irrelevant. It's a job, regardless of if you're a NFL coach, a CEO or a military commander. You make decisions and those decisions are reviewed.

Your command and control model is a dinosaur

real talent wont put up with being treated like that. So you get a negative selection pressure and all you are left with is the lower performers who have tolerate that treatment to keep the job.

thats not winning you much and it will never be sustainable.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

It’s about being lazy , they want more time off , and less grind

new cba spoiled these guys , they would have all quit if they had to participate in Perkins 3 a days  , back in the day .

So much to unpack in such a short statement.   3 a days meant so many more high impact collisions and we know the impact of those.   Knowledge and experience have made us understand how damaging that was to players of that generation.

The amount of physical training the players do year round now means they don't need a training camp to get in shape, lose weight, etc so the need for physically brutal camps aren't necessary.   Guys are actually shamed publicity if they come to camp out of shape.

The part that is lost that sucks is repetition and coaching.

56 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

All of this is why Siri could be done before he even starts , Just a yes man to Jeff and Howie . He doesn’t appear to have that dominate personality to keep them in line . Just happy to get opportunity to be a HC .

Its no lose for him

win and youre a genius

lose and its a dysfunctional organization 

• Like 1

While some folks (here and other places) are defending Lurie’s weekly nitpicking session with Doug as common place, let’s not forget that the owner pressed his thumb on the scale to draft JJAW and then made Doug look like an idiot by making him fire two coaches he publicly said would be retained. That’s not the first time either. Lowie forced him to fire Greg Lewis too.

All of those things can have a cumulative effect on a coach, especially one who had won a SB and he made the playoffs three straight years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I've been wondering as of late if Sirianni sees some of this stuff and regrets what he got himself in to.

I think he thinks he is the coach that will be so great at coaching everything else falls into its proper place. 

4 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

So much to unpack in such a short statement.   3 a days meant so many more high impact collisions and we know the impact of those.   Knowledge and experience have made us understand how damaging that was to players of that generation.

The amount of physical training the players do year round now means they don't need a training camp to get in shape, lose weight, etc so the need for physically brutal camps aren't necessary.   Guys are actually shamed publicity if they come to camp out of shape.

Agreed...but as often the case, the pendulum swung too far to the opposite extreme.   3 a days is ridiculous now.    Even full contact 2 a days would be largely unnecessary.   But, there is a place for that.   Also, excluding coach/player interactions in the offseason is just ludicrous.  Just limit what can be mandated by the coaches for the player.  But, if a player really wants to improve something... like their mechanics... why should they be hurt by not being allowed to work out with their position coach in the offseason if they so choose?   A fringe roster player, especially young ones, could gain so much by not being forced to work out with some 'guru' who is likely teaching them different styles than what their position coach teaches.   Why not have the lesson be more unified?  

I trust that some form of reason will win out and the next CBA will be more of a move to the mean.   The current one has too many radical ideas in the name of 'player safety' that actually has made the players worse off than before in terms of 'job security'. 

6 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The flip side is that the positional value at 12 also aligns to CB, which is another area that this team is desperate for improvement.  So, going that direction at 12 also makes a ton of sense, Surtain or Horn and I can't complain.  However, if they take Farley at 12, especially with Slater, Surtain or Horn on the board, and I will be a VERY unhappy person.

You have to ask yourself.  Is there more in the cupboard along the OL or at CB.  I've been very vocal on here that I think O-Line has a good amount of depth and the experience that Mailata, Herbig, Driscoll, Opeta and even Toth got last year is invaluable. The only position of true "need" IMO on the O-Line is center as we know it's Kelce's last year.  There isn't a center worth taking in the 1st round.  Yes, the line is aging on the right side but I'm not done with Dillard yet, just because I don't want another wasted draft pick.  Dillard/Mailata with Driscoll as the swing tackle is something I would be happy with, provided they all continue to develop.

Now you look at CB, which I don't really like taking at 12.  We have Darius Slay, who's 30 years old and nothing else.  Maddox is an average/below average slot corner who has no business at CB2.  He should be a 4th or 5th option at CB to be honest.  Then you a bunch of JAGs who are barely JAGs.  They are merely here because we have to have someone line up at CB.  Craig James MIGHT be a solid depth piece but he's not a CB2. 

We have next to nothing at CB whereas OL has some solid depth/borderline starting material.  

I'm starting to learn the same way with WR in round 1.  I'd be happy with an impact defensive player at 12 and Marshall at 37.  We also have the potential 3 firsts next year and a guy like Chris Olave would be fantastic. 

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

While some folks (here and other places) are defending Lurie’s weekly nitpicking session with Doug as common place, let’s not forget that the owner pressed his thumb on the scale to draft JJAW and then made Doug look like an idiot by making him fire two coaches he publicly said would be retained. That’s not the first time either. Lowie forced him to fire Greg Lewis too.

All of those things can have a cumulative effect on a coach, especially one who had won a SB and he made the playoffs three straight years. 

I believe the term is "hostile work environment'. 

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

What those here are defending is called micro management. I can't stand to be micro managed and I doubt any coach worth his salt could either. Let the guy do his job.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

And there are those who say the reason you have so many injuries and bad play is because of lack of padded practices and live tackling , I’m one of those .

10 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Your command and control model is a dinosaur

real talent wont put up with being treated like that. So you get a negative selection pressure and all you are left with is the lower performers who have tolerate that treatment to keep the job.

thats not winning you much and it will never be sustainable.

I don’t have a problem with Lurie asking questions and sitting in on coaches meetings, asking what the game plan is. That’s part of gathering info on where and how much success and failure is placed. 

That said, these coaches have to make split-second decisions. Lurie and Howie have hours to prep for meetings. They don’t have 30 seconds to determine a playcall, and frankly no one can have a finger on the pulse and make perfect analytically-based decisions on every snap. Hell, this team is so disorganized at draft time we have arguments over who to take at the same position while on the clock (JJAW vs Campbell). They really have no room to talk. 

• Like 2

Just now, bpac55 said:

You have to ask yourself.  Is there more in the cupboard along the OL or at CB.  I've been very vocal on here that I think O-Line has a good amount of depth and the experience that Mailata, Herbig, Driscoll, Opeta and even Toth got last year is invaluable.

I'd say that of those 5 names, only 2 should be discussed seriously.    Only Mailata and Driscoll have any chance of ever being a quality starter in the NFL.  The rest are JAGs at best.  

So, you need to ask yourself, is there a long term solution for the 5 OL positions?   Center?  Maybe with Seumalo or Driscoll, but then that potentially creates another hole.  RG?  Nope.   RT?  Nope.  LT?  Gotta hope that one of Dillard or Mailata puts a death grip on that job and never lets go.

At CB... I agree, the cupboard is bare.  But, a bad OL is detrimental to the development of a QB.  You need look no further than last year's debacle to see just how much a poor OL can derail everything.  And frankly, the defense was at least serviceable and kept the team in many games, despite the trouble along the back 7.   

Next, you ask yourself, which requires a greater choreography amongst the players involved and requires the most time working together to really mesh and gel?  OL or DBs?     The answer in a landslide is OL.  So, get the OL fixed this year, and then in 2022 when you bring in a new QB, he'll be stepping in behind a competent OL, and one that can stick together for longer than one more year.

45 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Choosing Chase is why teams like the Bengals always suck.  Bengals should load up on offensive line this draft and let them and Burrow all develop together.  

I don’t disagree. They really don’t need a WR considering Boyd and Higgins are both very good. They badly need oline. I’d take Sewell but they seem like they are gonna go chase. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

I have a feeling people in here don't know that.  And will ignore that part of your post and keep arguing. 

I feel like this happens in every walk of life with of somewhat an "adult" job. 

I have 5-6 under me and we have weekly(I try every other week) check ins on whats going on and what happened

As mentioned on @NFLTotalAccess, I confirmed today that these 6 are AMONG the players the #NYG are considering w/the 11th overall pick: Azeez Ojulari, GA, edge Micah Parstons, PSU, LB Kwity Paye, Mich, edge Rashawn Slater, NU, T Patrick Surtain, Ala, CB Jaylen Waddle, Ala, WR

6 minutes ago, greend said:

What those here are defending is called micro management. I can't stand to be micro managed and I doubt any coach worth his salt could either. Let the guy do his job.

Yup. My best bosses were hands off and "knew what they didn’t know.” That’s really underrated in a boss. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

This is what sucks.  How many times have we heard that players make their biggest jump from year 1 to year 2?  Look at our 2nd year players who need to take that next step. 

Reagor, Hurts, Taylor, Driscoll, Hightower, Watkins and Bradley are all being counted on in some capacity year 2.

Reagor clearly needs to clean his game up.  Route running and learning how to play against NFL corners are things he needs to work on every day.

Hurts is the starting QB so he needs every rep possible.  Nothing more to be said there.

Taylor was drafted knowing he would have to learn the linebacker position.  Another guy who needs every practice rep possible.  Sure, he can get in even better shape on his own but is he learning how to be a linebacker virtually?  Doubt it.

Hightower and Watkins I'll lump together.  They both, like Reagor need to learn route running, work on their hands etc.  Things that reps help.

Driscoll and Bradley are the 2 I have the most confidence in.  Driscoll can add his strength on his own but he's a cerebral guy and a plug and play guy.  Bradley is a ST/backup I'm comfortable with.

I was thinking the 2019 class missed out last year then I looked at it...only 3 guys from that class.  Dillard, Sanders and JJAW.  All could be gone next year (if Sanders is traded before contract renewal).  We need Dillard do develop in the worst way.

• Like 1

I've seen it more since we started having "tweets" but the way Shefter is a lap dog for the owner is sickning. 

He's on 97.5 defending Everything about the Eagles organization. 

• Like 1

transcription of some of Kapadia’s comments...

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/4/13/22382650/sheil-kapadia-the-athletic-article-howie-roseman-jeffrey-lurie-dysfunction-eagles-podcast-sb-nation

If you believe him, and IMO he has always been a fantastic reporter with good credibility, he spoke with "dozens” of people.  He wasn’t just looking for disgruntled former players, coaches or executives to write a smear piece.  He was trying to get the whole picture to portray it accurately.

If you still think that the owner is great and has minimal culpability here, I’m not sure what would change your mind.  If Lurie came out and actually did a mea culpa press conference, you would probably find some reason that nothing is his fault.  People have their sacred cows.  It’s hard to contemplate problems that might not be fixable.

Based on all of the reported information, from various credible sources, the owner is a very significant problem.  He needs to make serious changes in his involvement for anything to change for the positive.  The GM is also a big problem (though this is much more understood, and very measurable) and should be replaced immediately.  Impossible to conclude otherwise.  Leadership and culture change are needed, and not just a new coaching staff, which will just be encumbered by the same problems.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

I've seen it more since we started having "tweets" but the way Shefter is a lap dog for the owner is sickning. 

He's on 97.5 defending Everything about the Eagles organization. 

I believe I’ve read that Howie leaks to him directly.  This makes sense.  Schefter doesn’t want to burn that direct source.  He’s playing he game in his position, as you would expect.  He’s going to give you their side, which is fine because the owner and lackey aren’t talking to the reporters bringing us this other information.  Their perspective is useful info, no matter how warped or inaccurate it might be....

• Like 1

Just now, John_C said:

I believe I’ve read that Howie leaks to him directly.  This makes sense.  Schefter doesn’t want to burn that direct source.  He’s playing he game in his position, as you would expect.  He’s going to give you their side, which is fine because the owner and lackey aren’t talking to the reporters bringing us this other information.  Their perspective is useful info, no matter how warped or inaccurate it might be....

He's comparing Tom Brady leaving New England after 20 years to the Eagles organization. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I'd say that of those 5 names, only 2 should be discussed seriously.    Only Mailata and Driscoll have any chance of ever being a quality starter in the NFL.  The rest are JAGs at best.  

So, you need to ask yourself, is there a long term solution for the 5 OL positions?   Center?  Maybe with Seumalo or Driscoll, but then that potentially creates another hole.  RG?  Nope.   RT?  Nope.  LT?  Gotta hope that one of Dillard or Mailata puts a death grip on that job and never lets go.

At CB... I agree, the cupboard is bare.  But, a bad OL is detrimental to the development of a QB.  You need look no further than last year's debacle to see just how much a poor OL can derail everything.  And frankly, the defense was at least serviceable and kept the team in many games, despite the trouble along the back 7.   

Next, you ask yourself, which requires a greater choreography amongst the players involved and requires the most time working together to really mesh and gel?  OL or DBs?     The answer in a landslide is OL.  So, get the OL fixed this year, and then in 2022 when you bring in a new QB, he'll be stepping in behind a competent OL, and one that can stick together for longer than one more year.

I dunno.  I have higher hopes for Herbig than most.  I think he flashed more than people think last year.  It's easy to look at him and say look at that fat slob but he played some good football at times.  If you can show you can play good football in the NFL, a guy like Stoutland should be able to harness that and ge the best out of him as he grows. He's my RG of the future.  I'm OK with solid starters and not Pro Bowlers at every position.  

We 100% need Dillard to show he's the real deal.  If not, the 2019 draft guy us 3-4 years of Miles Sanders and that's it.  If Dillard and Mailata can be the bookend tackles that would be ideal. I know it's a big if but I'm holding out some hope.  Seumalo is the LG.  Draft your Kelce replacement this year.

I agree with the choreography of the O-Line and the importance of it.  However, I think it's just as important in the secondary.  Look at Jalen Mills.   I really think he can be a solid safety in the NFL.  Last year though, with no continuity among the d-backs he was playing safety then corner, then back to safety.  Then you had McLeod going out and Epps coming in and some Wallace.  The only given was Slay at CB1.  The other 4 (nickel included) were musical chairs.  That's not good for any position group.  

O-Line is the position I would be most bothered by at 12.  The guys I mentioned..Driscoll, Herbig, Opeta, Mailata and Toth all have one thing in common, one of the best O-Line coaches in the NFL in Jeff Stoutland.  I have more faith in him getting the best out of those guys and taking them from JAGs to starters.

I really have hope for Andre Dillard until I look at his face and hear him talk, and then I hate him all over again.

• Haha 1