Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

So Howie tells you his plan for this upcoming season is re-sign 39 year old Jason Peters to start at LT, as well as bring back Alshon on a prove it deal and you would give the greenlight?

I know you weren't talking to me.  But you said I was lying with the same answer IP gave.  

No I would not let Howie tell me that about JP.  You know why?  

Because Howie wouldn't be the f-ing GM in the first place.    And I'm pretty sure the JP enabling came right from Lurie himself.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

So Howie tells you his plan for this upcoming season is re-sign 39 year old Jason Peters to start at LT, as well as bring back Alshon on a prove it deal and you would give the greenlight?

Nope.  Howie would have already been held accountable for his previous draft record, previous free agent failings, previous failed trades and previous cap management.   And I'd have already hired a new qualified GM... and have given him the green light to move forward with his vision that he laid out in the job interview.   Then, I'd give him the resources to see it either work out, or blow up in his face.  If it works, he gets a new contract after the first one and a raise.  If it blows up on him, then he gets fired and a new GM comes in next.

There's a massive difference between meddling in the day to day and holding underlings accountable for results.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I know you weren't talking to me.  But you said I was lying with the same answer IP gave.  

No I would not let Howie tell me that about JP.  You know why?  

Because Howie wouldn't be the f-ing GM in the first place.  

I don't think the name of the GM really matters.

Since you are confused, saying "Howie would have been fired" is a cop out answer. Howie is irrelevant in the scenario. So fire Howie and hire someone else, he proposes the same free agency plan or something else ridiculous. I don't see anyone being completely hands off. 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  It's not often that I am wrong or clueless about a topic.  So you're right.  

Nope.  Because my face would be so buried in strange that I wouldn't even know who Kyle Pitts was.  

Have your own personal cheerleading team in the box during the game. 

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I don't think the name of the GM really matters

image.gif.a72da016168170a7a0dda099bb8bd089.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nope.  Howie would have already been held accountable for his previous draft record, previous free agent failings, previous failed trades and previous cap management.   And I'd have already hired a new qualified GM... and have given him the green light to move forward with his vision that he laid out in the job interview.   Then, I'd give him the resources to see it either work out, or blow up in his face.  If it works, he gets a new contract after the first one and a raise.  If it blows up on him, then he gets fired and a new GM comes in next.

There's a massive difference between meddling in the day to day and holding underlings accountable for results.

Again, Howie is just a name. Fire him and hire Daniel Jeremiah or whoever you want, it doesn't matter. They still want to sign Jason Peters and Alshon Jeffery to start in 2021 and they want to allocate the remaining 2021 cap to them while also giving them 5 dummy years so they are on the books next year too. I don't see how a single person just blindly says "ok". 

• Like 1

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

I don't think the name of the GM really matters

You're using hypotheticals and we are giving you the reactions.  Every act has a reaction.  Lurie hiring and enabling Howie all of this time has created multiple adverse reactions.  Lurie is the one who was in love with JP, so that example doesn't make sense.  Since I wouldn't be Lurie.  IP laid it out nicely.  

No, if I was the owner, I would not be having weekly meetings with the head coach about game decisions.  I would not be overriding the GM and head coach because I had a personal relationship with a 39 year old washed up lineman.  I would not be waxing poetic about all things politics at the season opening press conference when it is my chance to set the tone to the players, coaches, staff and fans about the direction the organization is heading.    I would not sign off on the whole medical staff being fired just after the franchise won it's first Super Bowl.  I would not hire a HC and then try to over-ride him 12 months later by suggesting we fire assistant coaches.  I would not muzzle the Head Coach at press conferences, especially if I trusted that my GM made the right hire of that HC in the first place.  I would not limit fans access to summer camp practices or web access like the team message board.  I would not force elderly long time season ticket holders into going digital for their tickets and forcing them to have a smart phone in order to validate their season ticket holder status.  I would not hire Nick Siriani because I would hope that the GM that I hired would have enough sense to make the right hire.  And I wouldn't want a GM who would want a HC who is willing to take a job where a bunch of suits can sit in a room and critique his game day decisions.    I would not be active in the interview process for the Head Coach job.  I would only want to be kept up to speed on the process and use my veto ability if it is someone I don't feel is right.  I would not be leading the interviews though.    

Man, I can go on and on.  There is so much this front office (Lurie) has done wrong in the past 4 years that I know I have missed a bunch.  But I have a zoom call coming up.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I also conceded my take after a strong counterpoint that you would spend your days lost in a sea of strange. I don't think you can blame me for not initially believing you, of all people. 

1 hour ago, Khani1 said:

Anyone who is investing in crypto right now, congrats!  The market is exploding.

BTC makes the crypto market go , it’s over half of the total crypto market cap , and there  are over  a 1,000 coins 

just since start of 2021 , it’s up 110%
ave annual return of 230%

best performing asset over last decade by a 1,000%

still in infant stage , I would guess 100,000 per coin by end of  September , half a million per within 8 years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, justrelax said:

Lurie has been intensely involved with this team and football for more than a quarter century. He's had a number of coaches, good, bad, and atrocious. He's sat down with all of them and studied their approaches and witnessed their successes and failures and asked why. I think he knows way more about football than any of us.

He may have done all that. That doesn't mean he actually learned anything useful. It certainly doesn't mean that he became an expert. 

I would get involved some. But my style of management is to let my people do their jobs. If they screw up then we deal with it. If I have to babysit you, you're not the right person for the job. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, greend said:

I would get involved some. But my style of management is to let my people do their jobs. If they screw up then we deal with it. If I have to babysit you, you're not the right person for the job. 

Of course. Managers should also meet with their direct reports weekly as well as those that directly report to them.

Bad managers also ask bad questions.

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Of course. Managers should also meet with their direct reports weekly as well as those that directly report to them.

Bad managers also ask bad questions.

Sure, but I sure as hell don't chastise them for a win because we didn't do it my way. 

1 minute ago, greend said:

Agreed. I don’t have a problem with him being partly involved. Any good owner should be. But there are some things that no matter how involved you want to be you simply won’t have enough time/expertise to do. Such as scouting for example. He could be the most interested, knowledgeable, football minded owner in the league, but he is not going to understand a prospect as well as a scout that’s entire job has been to evaluate prospects for years.

When Lurie, Howie, or anyone starts overriding scouts decisions, that’s where I draw the line as too much. 

GMs always override their scouts . They don’t even let them in the draft room ,

• Like 1

Just now, Original Sin said:

GMs always override their scouts . They don’t even let them in the draft room ,

Just because they’re not in the draft room, doesn’t mean the plan they’ve created before the draft is overridden. Most teams have a draft board that they stick to. They’re not making random decisions during the live draft. 

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Other teams have had success by not meddling with operations and by letting the experts handle things

Jerry meddles a ton and that team hasn't been successful in decades

Well they haven't had playoff success but they've been better than either the Redskins or Giants over the last 10 seasons.  I do think their single biggest issue is that Jerry wants to be seen as the decision maker.  He will go behind a coach's back on discipline issues.  It's spokes on a wagon wheel type management.  He does seem to defer to his son and others on personnel decisions. It's not like he doesn't listen to others. I think that's where the Eagles have too much of an echo chamber.  

14 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

you would spend your days lost in a sea of strange.

Hmm GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, wtfcares said:

Just because they’re not in the draft room, doesn’t mean the plan they’ve created before the draft is overridden. Most teams have a draft board that they stick to. They’re not making random decisions during the live draft. 

Scouts give input , GM makes decisions on the players .

7 minutes ago, greend said:

Sure, but I sure as hell don't chastise them for a win because we didn't do it my way. 

It depends if you want to be a process organization or not. Winning because you hit on 10% probability is not a sustainable model.

18 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I also conceded my take after a strong counterpoint that you would spend your days lost in a sea of strange. I don't think you can blame me for not initially believing you, of all people. 

No I can.  Especially since I have been one of the most vocal critics of Lurie and how things are being done now.  And I stand by my NO.  

The sea of strange would be just a bonus.  

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No I can.  Especially since I have been one of the most vocal critics of Lurie and how things are being done now.  And I stand by my NO.  

You have been the most vocal critic about everything from Lurie to the Reagor pick. That's why I assumed you would meddle and want things your way.

6 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Scouts give input , GM makes decisions on the players .

Yes but again those decisions should be made well ahead of the draft and a plan should be created. It shouldn’t be a surprise on draft day to team personel when a player lower on the draft board is chosen over a higher player. That’s what the people in the article were saying was happening. That’s my issue with it. 

• Like 1