EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

6 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

If Paye is the Eagles pick at #12 it will be proof positive the GM, Weidl, and scouts don’t know what the F they’re looking at.

How's that?  Like do you really think that you watching some highlight videos really qualifies you to offer a conclusive opinion on how prospects should be ranked?  Or is it because of what some amateur on a website says?  I mean I don't really want that to be the pick either but the idea that you have this certainty about who will turn out to be good or bad is just ludicrous.  

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on our luck lately, Howie will pass on Paye and we will all celebrate in relief, only for Paye to go on and have an All-Pro career.

2 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Based on our luck lately, Howie will pass on Paye and we will all celebrate in relief, only for Paye to go on and have an All-Pro career.

Oh god that sounds true enough for me.

14 hours ago, Desertbirds said:

How many times did Afan vote?

Paye may be a very Howie pick....but in this draft, Howie is going to want someone to step in right away to take off some heat.

Paye is a big risk to have a 2 sack rookie year as a backup.  Any wr is a huge risk to be a deer in headlights as a rookie.

The top cbs are very likely to start on day 1.

Not saying CB is the right way to go or what Howie will necessarily do, but that may be the easiest move to get someone who shows up as a rookie.

12 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Which is why I don't understand people who lose their mind over draft picks they don't like.  We really have zero idea how these kids will turn out. 

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Paye may be a very Howie pick....but in this draft, Howie is going to want someone to step in right away to take off some heat.

Paye is a big risk to have a 2 sack rookie year as a backup.  Any wr is a huge risk to be a deer in headlights as a rookie.

The top cbs are very likely to start on day 1.

Not saying CB is the right way to go or what Howie will necessarily do, but that may be the easiest move to get someone who shows up as a rookie.

I agree that CB is the likely path, but I can’t imagine Devonta Smith being overwhelmed by NFL.. he might not even register a pulse, a very cool customer. He could get wrecked out there, but I expect him to have a high floor when available.

Paye or whomever, the important thing is the Eagles are correct in their evaluation of the player. Let’s hope they get in right in the end. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Paye or whomever, the important thing is the Eagles are correct in their evaluation of the player. Let’s hope they get in right in the end. 

You're absolutely right there bud. I don't like the idea of taking Paye, especially at #12, but it may well work out. 

I listened to a podcast with Jason Avant, and he was saying he believes Reagor can be a No. 1 receiver. He said he was really close to having a stretch of 4 or 5 games of 100-plus yards but needs to clean up some minor details that are easily correctable. He’s a big fan. 

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

S should be higher on the list.  We have no one.  

We have Harris. But yes I agree S is an issue. 

9 hours ago, schuy7 said:

What's the time for each pick again? I forgot every year. 10 on day 1, 7 for day 2, 5 for day 3?

No matter what time the pick is, you can guarantee they go to commercial when the pick is in.

7 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

But why does he call someone TJ when their name is David Helman? 

Cleary, TJ is short for David.

56 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Yep, and we will pass on Farley (I would too now) and take a CB with half his ability, then the Patriots take Farley and he never misses a game and becomes a lockdown corner.  It's just how things go.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I think Howie has, once again, misread things. I think when he took the trade down he thought he had confidence in the board but it's changed. 

Why would you read that into it?  Why isn’t the most likely explanation that he looked at the board, ran the most likely draft day scenarios and still saw at least one player left on the board they liked, so he picked up an extra 1st next year in what is likely to be a better, more predictable draft?

On top of that, he’s still got plenty of flexibility to continue to move depending on how tonight actually goes. I’m not saying I have complete confidence in the choices he’ll make but so far, I think the ONE move he showed was a good one. 

1 minute ago, purplefiggy said:

Why would you read that into it?  Why isn’t the most likely explanation that he looked at the board, ran the most likely draft day scenarios and still saw at least one player left on the board they liked, so he picked up an extra 1st next year in what is likely to be a better, more predictable draft?

On top of that, he’s still got plenty of flexibility to continue to move depending on how tonight actually goes. I’m not saying I have complete confidence in the choices he’ll make but so far, I think the ONE move he showed was a good one. 

Because 1) it is Howie Roseman and 2) he took a huge risk that 1 of those players was going to be there. It could well be that Surtain and Horn are off the board and so is Smith. Why wouldn't you want your pick of the best players rather than taking who's left?

2 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

plus a 4th rounder the team didn't have this year

I’m actually starting to wonder if Paye might be a very clever tactical pre-draft pump fake from Howie.

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Because 1) it is Howie Roseman and 2) he took a huge risk that 1 of those players was going to be there. It could well be that Surtain and Horn are off the board and so is Smith. Why wouldn't you want your pick of the best players rather than taking who's left?

Because you might be able to still get the guy you wanted, PLUS the 1st round pick next year. You conveniently leave that out. 

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I’m actually starting to wonder if Paye might be a very clever tactical pre-draft pump fake from Howie.

Oh you sweet, summer child 

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I’d assume that they’ve got a larger group of players they’d be happy with than you maybe. I’ve seen so many mocks and in so many of them, there are at least 1-3 players I’d be happy with at 12. 

say 4 QBs go, plus Pitts and Chase. Throw in Sewell. That takes you through 7, so from there, can you make a list of at least 5 players you’d be happy with?

In no particular order

1. Surtain

2. Horn

3. Waddle

4. Smith

5. Slater

6. Parsons

any one of those guys plus another 1 for me works pretty well. And you know it almost never goes chalk, so you may have even more to choose from at 12

12 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

It's a great way to convince Gettleman to take him at 11. Also makes it harder for NYG to trade down.

Archived