Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

2 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

I really have hope for Andre Dillard until I look at his face and hear him talk, and then I hate him all over again.

LOL, I agree 100%.  The only reason I'm holding out hope is because if he fails, the 2019 draft gave us Miles Sanders and that's it.  What a terrible draft that could be.  

There's a possibility that next year, no one is on the team from the 2017 or 2019 drafts.  We have Barnett, Dillard, Sanders and JJAW.   Not good.

Payton Turner - MockDraftable

His measurables are exceptional, apart from his weight/strength which are 'average'.

Even an organisation as dis-functional as the Eagles should be able to help him improve that.

2021 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Houston EDGE Payton Turner - Steelers Depot

Not without his faults, but the plusses far outweigh the minuses. 

This guy better be an Eagle on Friday 30th April.

Don Smolenski is pulling a blinder at the moment.  Everyone is focusing on Howie and Lurie, when organisational issues come up; as President he should be in the mix too, otherwise his presence is to an extent, superfluous to how the organisation works.

It looks like the Eagles need a big reset internally and the persistent reports with employees (current and ex)  now taking it public, presumably, means the management aren't listening or won't change.  I've been in a position where the management aren't listening more than once - it becomes soul destroying and spreads like a virus - you can pay people well, but will you get the extra 5% from staff if they know an owner will ignore their experience because they think it's right?  For an Owner who clearly cares, it will be unpleasant for Lurie to see what he perceives as a Gold standard organisation, having the reality exposed publically. 

Flippantly, I have wondered in recent years if Lurie has had nothing better to do in his life, and some of the recent issues are a sign of that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

I really have hope for Andre Dillard until I look at his face and hear him talk, and then I hate him all over again.

What does this even mean? I get the guy has been a disappointment so far, but he's young enough to still make a positive impact and the team has been so abysmal overall that it's really hard to make a proper assessment of anyone right now, let alone a 2nd year LT who was somewhat raw when drafted anyway. Honestly, these kinds of comments just seem to indicate that people are judging the guy on things that are, at best, tangentially related to his potential success. There's room for criticism, but it should be grounded in the guy's skillset and play on the field. Or is attitude the biggest concern with Dillard? I'm honestly just asking.

Bo Wulf is a terrific writer? Nah bro, more like a terrific idiot 😉

http://igglesblitz.com/2021/04/context-3/

Some interesting nuggets from Tommy Lawlor - when a super positive person like him is meh at the Eagles, you know it's bad

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

. There's room for criticism, but it should be grounded in the guy's skillet...

I love a good skillet, with eggs, bacon, taters, mmmmm....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Don Smolenski is pulling a blinder at the moment.  Everyone is focusing on Howie and Lurie, when organisational issues come up; as President he should be in the mix too, otherwise his presence is to an extent, superfluous to how the organisation works.

It looks like the Eagles need a big reset internally and the persistent reports with employees (current and ex)  now taking it public, presumably, means the management aren't listening or won't change.  I've been in a position where the management aren't listening more than once - it becomes soul destroying and spreads like a virus - you can pay people well, but will you get the extra 5% from staff if they know an owner will ignore their experience because they think it's right?  For an Owner who clearly cares, it will be unpleasant for Lurie to see what he perceives as a Gold standard organisation, having the reality exposed publically. 

Flippantly, I have wondered in recent years if Lurie has had nothing better to do in his life, and some of the recent issues are a sign of that.

I think the reason Smolenski doesn’t get much said about him is he doesn’t seem to have much, if any, direct involvement with roster development. His role seemed to describe being involved with and overseeing things like marketing, team sponsors, public relations, working with team lawyers, stadium issues, ect. Things of that nature. Things the average fan doesn’t care about or think of. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

I always thought Don was involved on the business and money making side of things and didn't haveuch involvement on the football side where everything is a bit of a mess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_C said:

transcription of some of Kapadia’s comments...

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/4/13/22382650/sheil-kapadia-the-athletic-article-howie-roseman-jeffrey-lurie-dysfunction-eagles-podcast-sb-nation

If you believe him, and IMO he has always been a fantastic reporter with good credibility, he spoke with "dozens” of people.  He wasn’t just looking for disgruntled former players, coaches or executives to write a smear piece.  He was trying to get the whole picture to portray it accurately.

If you still think that the owner is great and has minimal culpability here, I’m not sure what would change your mind.  If Lurie came out and actually did a mea culpa press conference, you would probably find some reason that nothing is his fault.  People have their sacred cows.  It’s hard to contemplate problems that might not be fixable.

Based on all of the reported information, from various credible sources, the owner is a very significant problem.  He needs to make serious changes in his involvement for anything to change for the positive.  The GM is also a big problem (though this is much more understood, and very measurable) and should be replaced immediately.  Impossible to conclude otherwise.  Leadership and culture change are needed, and not just a new coaching staff, which will just be encumbered by the same problems.

Kapadia has no history of being an axe grinder, whereas some other beat writers do.   I give Kapadia the benefit of the doubt that he was looking to uncover 'the truth' rather than just get quotes for his angle.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

What does this even mean? I get the guy has been a disappointment so far, but he's young enough to still make a positive impact and the team has been so abysmal overall that it's really hard to make a proper assessment of anyone right now, let alone a 2nd year LT who was somewhat raw when drafted anyway. Honestly, these kinds of comments just seem to indicate that people are judging the guy on things that are, at best, tangentially related to his potential success. There's room for criticism, but it should be grounded in the guy's skillset and play on the field. Or is attitude the biggest concern with Dillard? I'm honestly just asking.

Lack of accountability and body language/facial expressions seem to lend credibility to rumblings that he's soft and immature. The incident with Barnett and his abject failure filling in at RT fuel that even more. It's subjective and unfair, I agree.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

LOL, I agree 100%.  The only reason I'm holding out hope is because if he fails, the 2019 draft gave us Miles Sanders and that's it.  What a terrible draft that could be.  

There's a possibility that next year, no one is on the team from the 2017 or 2019 drafts.  We have Barnett, Dillard, Sanders and JJAW.   Not good.

JJAW alone makes those drafts successful...

I know that Kempski is an acquired taste, but even his staunchest critic must admit that this is brilliant....

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

I dunno.  I have higher hopes for Herbig than most.  I think he flashed more than people think last year.  It's easy to look at him and say look at that fat slob but he played some good football at times.  If you can show you can play good football in the NFL, a guy like Stoutland should be able to harness that and ge the best out of him as he grows. He's my RG of the future.  I'm OK with solid starters and not Pro Bowlers at every position.  

We 100% need Dillard to show he's the real deal.  If not, the 2019 draft guy us 3-4 years of Miles Sanders and that's it.  If Dillard and Mailata can be the bookend tackles that would be ideal. I know it's a big if but I'm holding out some hope.  Seumalo is the LG.  Draft your Kelce replacement this year.

I agree with the choreography of the O-Line and the importance of it.  However, I think it's just as important in the secondary.  Look at Jalen Mills.   I really think he can be a solid safety in the NFL.  Last year though, with no continuity among the d-backs he was playing safety then corner, then back to safety.  Then you had McLeod going out and Epps coming in and some Wallace.  The only given was Slay at CB1.  The other 4 (nickel included) were musical chairs.  That's not good for any position group.  

O-Line is the position I would be most bothered by at 12.  The guys I mentioned..Driscoll, Herbig, Opeta, Mailata and Toth all have one thing in common, one of the best O-Line coaches in the NFL in Jeff Stoutland.  I have more faith in him getting the best out of those guys and taking them from JAGs to starters.

Herbig, Opeta, and Toth have some other things in common.  They are JAGs.  Herbig, to me, is maxed out as a backup OG, but never should be looked at as a long term starter solution at OG.   There's only so much Stoutland can do with limited talent.

The hope is that Driscoll can be a long term piece, but might only be a depth guy.  Mailata could be a fixture.   The rest of those names should be viewed as guys that absolutely should be looked at being upgraded, because they are JAGs, and JAGs with very limited upside.   I have a ton of faith in Stoutland.  But, I also don't expect him to do the impossible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saltpeter said:

I'm looking at him as a sunk cost at this point. I don't have much hope he'll be able to beat Mailata out. Ideally you'd want your 25 y/o first-round pick starting but I don't know if that's going to happen.

3 minutes ago, metal said:

I'm looking at him as a sunk cost at this point. I don't have much hope he'll be able to beat Mailata out. Ideally you'd want your 25 y/o first-round pick starting but I don't know if that's going to happen.

26 1 month in to the season.  Jordan Howard overlaps being 26 with him for a month.  

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

I love a good skillet, with eggs, bacon, taters, mmmmm....

I'll be right over.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I always thought Don was involved on the business and money making side of things and didn't haveuch involvement on the football side where everything is a bit of a mess. 

It doesn't matter everyone needs to go. 

• Like 2

Do people have any idea how self destructive and self defeating they sound on a daily basis? 

Not to name names but now we have a lad from Salisbury ( not Maryland I may add ) predicting that the "ENTIRE Emerald Isle lass is all but a wee House of Cards"  and the Captain of it's ship is about to experience such murderous mutiny as to make Captain Bligh shiver in his timbers. 

Christ, if the Emerald Midnight spend their days and nights listening to the likes of you, it's no wonder they'd be suicidal.  Good thing they are not. 

12 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Rounds 5-7 are basically head starts on UDFAs. That’s doesn’t mean you give them away, but the odds of hitting on those picks are slim, so I’m all for using some to target guys. 

No one should complain when they pick James Smith in the 6th. 

15 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

It doesn't matter everyone needs to go. 

Pretty much.  Not sure how anyone can defend this organization anymore.  

Andre Dillard has played more than 30 snaps in only 5 games in his career, and more than 60 snaps only 3 times — and a lot of you have already given up on him, traded him, cut him ..... You guys are such great NFL evaluators.  Dillard is already a bust, Reagor is already a bust ..... whoever the draft pick at #12, who hasn’t even been picked yet, is already a terrible pick because Howie is making the pick.  

All is doom because the team owner is mean and doesn’t just sit in his office like Mr. Carlson from WKRP .....

If you’re resigned that the team is a laughing stock or doomed because you don’t think the owner is capable — why are you still watching?  Because the bad news for you is, the owner isn’t going anywhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, schuy7 said:

Sure, he could draw up Cover 2. Maybe even some passing plays from the WCO. But if he's drawing up individual blocking assignments on all the different run plays, he wouldn't look very good. Does he know which formation alignments are necessary for the defense based on how the OL lines up? I think some people don't realize how much football NFL head coaches know. There's a lot of detail involved.

I suspect Lurie could do a lot of that, owning the Eagles has been his primary business for 27 years. How do you think "football guys" know what they know? Not playing the game, but studying film, talking to mentors, etc. If playing the game made you an expert, coaching staffs would be full of ex-NFL players, instead a lot of failed college players (Mt Union?) who started as interns, watching film until their eyes bleed. Lurie has probably done those same things. You don't think he's had a few conversations with Stoutland? Mudd? Not saying he's an expert, and his football knowledge may be a problem, in that he knows just enough to be dangerous. Last season may be the humbling experience he needs to step back a bit.

Pederson was the right guy to right the ship after the Chip fiasco, we see that all the time in sports, new HC comes in and settles the clubhouse, maybe wins a Championship, but lacks the right stuff to reload or rebuild. I think Lowie quickly realized Doug's limitations, but winning the SB gave him some leeway, same way Schwartz had both the resume and the ring to get too much pull in the organization. They got what they wanted in terms of personnel until things cratered. Some of the dysfunction may have come from Doug v Schwartz camps in the organization, Schwartz as a former HC/DC for a HC who was clueless about defense would have had his own power base.

Sirianni's pull with Lowie won't depend on personality but expertise. His ability to quickly put together a coaching staff that's well respected around the league points to both his preparation and the respect that insiders have for him - why would Johnson leave Florida for here if he heard it was a bad situation, Stoutland had an open offer from Miami, Rocker, etc. They all were in position to wait for a better situation. Same way, when he gets reviewed by Lowie, I suspect he'll have reasons for everything he did. That's what probably sold them in the interview. I don't care about his demeanor unless the players tune out, I'm more interested in his expertise and management skills.

I suspect when they interviewed Doug, he gave them all the reasons the Eagles could compete in 2021 with a few tweaks, Sirianni gave them a more realistic appraisal of what had to be done to make this team competitive in a few years.

• Like 1

Responding to 1... In your business your boss can reasonably argue that he or she knows as much or close to as much about the business, right?

Do you think Lurie does?

Responding to your response.  The boss couldn’t argue he new as much as I did but we still needed to talk through decisions that had significant impacts.  The boss did not need to get down into the gears but needed to know that we had.  And Lurie has owned and been CEO of an NFL team for over twenty years.  The presumption that because he did not play and does not coach or scout that he doesn’t understand the business is a falsehood.  He has put too many winning seasons out as a product to make that assumption. 

Measurables don’t include technique skills and at the Surtain is higher.  I do think the question has to be asked, has Surtain reached his ceiling.  I also think that with Horn we have to accept his ceiling could be either lower or higher than Surtain. If not were there at 12, I would take Surtain. If Waddle, Smith, Surtain and Horn are there at 12, I take Surtain. 

4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Responding to your response.  The boss couldn’t argue he new as much as I did but we still needed to talk through decisions that had significant impacts.  The boss did not need to get down into the gears but needed to know that we had.  And Lurie has owned and been CEO of an NFL team for over twenty years.  The presumption that because he did not play and does not coach or scout that he doesn’t understand the business is a falsehood.  He has put too many winning seasons out as a product to make that assumption. 

There's a VAST difference between understanding the 'business' of football, and understanding the 'game' of football.    I posit that while Lurie absolutely gets the business, he doesn't get the game, but dangerously, believes that he does.  

From Tommy's piece: 

It is dysfunctional. Highly dysfunctional. And you can argue that winning the Super Bowl made things worse. Lurie and Roseman now feel vindicated that they have the right ideas and that others in the organization should really buy into them.

I agree 100% with Tommy's assessment.  

(And as I've pointed out a TON recently, Lowie went AWAY from what got them to the Super Bowl in 2017 ever since that final gun.  They changed how to manage the roster, manage the cap and manage the draft.   And it has ALL been bad since then.)

And to finish it off with the quote from the great Samuel Clemons.

Aint-what-you-dont-know-Image-Mark-Twain

• Like 5