EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

I'd like to turn this convo back to BG...what an absolute animal he was back in the power football day of the Big 10.  His TFL numbers are insane, especially when you roll to the tape back on how he racked them up.

Yup.   

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paye had enough production, I mean Barnett was a beast in college, how did that translate.

In the end, trust your scouts or fire your scouts. That is, does he show on film enough raw talent that you can coach him up to a high level? Does he have great athleticism, the work ethic to improve technique and so on.

He only had 4 senior games - often players are just ready to take off at that point. This is why scouting is so difficult this year, in a normal season either he finishes the same way, in which case no senior bump, or he comes on strong with say 8 sacks and 15 TFL in his last 8 games. You just don't know b/c the season never happened. So you have to trust your scouts.

This is why there will be more reaches, flops and surprises in this draft than any in memory.

Brandon Graham had 3 sacks in 13 games before injuring his knee as a rookie.  Let's not make him out to be Dwight Freeney if not for his knee injury.

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Paye had enough production, I mean Barnett was a beast in college, how did that translate.

I thought Barnett was a great pick?

14 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I thought Barnett was a great pick?

For someone that states we should trust the process (a generality), he frequently argues by anecdote (a singularity).

28 minutes ago, austinfan said:

In the end, trust your scouts or fire your scouts. That is, does he show on film enough raw talent that you can coach him up to a high level? Does he have great athleticism, the work ethic to improve technique and so on.

He only had 4 senior games - often players are just ready to take off at that point. This is why scouting is so difficult this year, in a normal season either he finishes the same way, in which case no senior bump, or he comes on strong with say 8 sacks and 15 TFL in his last 8 games. You just don't know b/c the season never happened. So you have to trust your scouts.

This is why there will be more reaches, flops and surprises in this draft than any in memory.

Yes, I'm sure Paye was going to essentially match his collegiate career in the span of 8 games. That's realistic.

I can see the spin has begun.

55 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

That's the thing that worries me about watching Paye highlights is that they are all against teams like Army and Northwestern.  Not exactly inspring competition. 

They are all mostly coverage sacks with the QB looking clueless also 

9 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I hope Howie doesn't have WOW FOMO.

53 minutes ago, austinfan said:

If only...

Closing in on about 20 hours. And presumably 8756 hours til the one that will really matter.

I'm still too pissed off about the team's offseason decisions to invest energy into reading and contributing to this thread (other than the following few sentences). It was always something I enjoyed doing, but I just can't do it...yet. My guess is that I'll start up again during the draft.

I expect them to trade down, possibly even more than once, and then turn around and try to trade up from the later rounds, ending up with a lot of picks in rounds 2-5. Or even defer picks to next year.

I've seen almost zero footage of any of the players this year, so I really don't know crap. And although I made a LB my choice in the prediction thread, it's not something I would want. I think linebackers (in a 4-3) are a poor investment because they're not worth the money when their rookie contract is up. So you're only getting five years out of the guy. If it's not a WR (my preferred position), I'd settle for a DB or DL. Maybe an OL. If they pick a QB, I'll lose my mind.

14 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

But why does he call someone TJ when their name is David Helman? 

If Paye is the Eagles pick at #12 it will be proof positive the GM, Weidl, and scouts don’t know what the F they’re looking at.

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

Most Eagles fans just choose to be negative whining ****es the vast majority of the time. This is exactly why one year they want college production from players in the draft, then the next they want physical traits and fast twitch athletes, then it goes back to production. This place is a haven for miserable Fs who will find anything to **** about. 

Just now, T-1000 said:

Most Eagles fans just choose to be negative whining ****es the vast majority of the time. This is exactly why one year they want college production from players in the draft, then the next they want physical traits and fast twitch athletes, then it goes back to production. This place is a haven for miserable Fs who will find anything to **** about. 

100% true.  

23 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I hope Howie doesn't have WOW WTMF FOMO.

Fixed.

4 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

100% true.  

You wait, if they draft a guy like Paye everyone will **** about his lack of production, but if they draft a highly productive player at some point early in the draft they will complain that it won't translate because the player doesn't have the right physical traits.

16 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

image.gif.e43f4bb35c051347c8d12cf7758f71f6.gif

It's the hope that kills you.

47 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Yes, I'm sure Paye was going to essentially match his collegiate career in the span of 8 games. That's realistic.

I can see the spin has begun.

He wouldn't have been the first player to finish up a season on a hot streak, that's why not playing the games deprives you of information.

Either way, playing 12 games gives you more to work with than 4 games.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Agreed.  We have to be last in the league in balls batted at the LOS

It's like the curse of the Eagles:  Our DLs rarely bat down balls at the LoS yet our QBs get a lot of balls batted down at the LoS.  It has seemed this way for, I dunno, a couple decades?  Something like that.

Who is the 4th raked IOL? That's who Howie takes at 12.

2 hours ago, schuy7 said:

Tony Pauline says Paye could be our surprise pick. 😂 Says Howie likens Paye to Graham.

That's not a surprise.  That's The Fear.  Also probably more expected as to act like a 'cup' should we get kicked in the nuts.

The draft is fluid, I doubt Howie knows what he's going to do because odds are someone ahead of him is going to make a surprise move.

I'd be shocked by Paye at #12, because unless something really crazy happens, there should be 2-3 players the Eagles consider better on the board at #12, Slater, Horn, Smith.

Nor are they desperate for a DE, they have 4 starters plus Sweat and Ridgeway, they're just as likely to take another project like Sweat a bit later in the draft.

Archived