EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

I understand that.  And obviously trading 6 and two 3rds for 7 and a 1st is better than just taking Surtain at 6.  But we've already made the first move and so the only question is whether moving back up to 7 is a smart move and I don't think it is.

Wouldn’t be my preference either, but I could understand it and wouldn’t hate it.

Just now, purplefiggy said:

Wouldn’t be my preference either, but I could understand it and wouldn’t hate it.

I think we're at the same place.  I wouldn't hate it either but it just seems unnecessary in the same way paying Joe Flacco $3 million feels like an unnecessary use of limited resources.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I was all in on Parsons a few months ago.  Now I wouldn’t touch him at 12.  Not just the hazing story.  Jon Ritchie was on the radio the other day talking about how he coached Parsons at a camp when he was a HS Senior.  Ritchie is not one to bash a player or call their character into question.  And he really didn’t come out in detail, but he definitely made it seem like that Parsons is a bad guy.    He recognized that one can grow up and be more mature from where there were at 18.  But he raised some red flags without being specific.  He didn’t want to blast the guy on the radio.  But he made it clear he didn’t like the guy.  And again, JR is a pretty opened minded dude.  There’s a lot of smoke surrounding him right now.  I wouldn’t be shocked if Zaven Collins wasn’t picked before him.   

You bring up a really interesting point. We know so little about these guys, and while the Eagles don’t know a whole lot either, they sure have access to more information than we do.

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

If we stay at 12 and get Horn.  I’d be very happy.   I’d be very happy with any of the following if we stay at 12. 

PS2

Horn

Waddle

Slater

Sewell(yeah I know)

Chase (yeah I know) 

Pitts(yeah I know)

Any of those and getting the 1st next year would be a slam dunk scenario for us.  

A little edit for me to be happy at 12. I don't want to touch Waddle. If we get a WR I want a defined route runner, not pure speed. I'd even be fine with Parsons but I highly doubt Eagles ever go LB in the first so we know he's not even an option. 

1 minute ago, purplefiggy said:

You bring up a really interesting point. We know so little about these guys, and while the Eagles don’t know a whole lot either, they sure have access to more information than we do.

One of the main reasons I try not to put too much stock into fan opinions and prospect rankings.  Character and medicals are huge components that the outside world has virtually no insight into.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I don’t either.  He’ll be good pro QB.  

The least stunning thing I’ve seen all day.  Now when Spads starts talking him up, be very worried.   

Yup

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Uh oh. 

This guy is a pure tool who only talks to cause friction. He always says the oppt of what most say just to cause people to argue with him. 

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Uh oh. 

ESP is also a moron so maybe this is a good thing.

Right? Right???

Ugh

2 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

I think we're at the same place.  I wouldn't hate it either but it just seems unnecessary in the same way paying Joe Flacco $3 million feels like an unnecessary use of limited resources.

I think generally I am not in favor of moving up in the first couple rounds anyway. Later in the draft, rock ‘n’ roll, but I like keeping the premium picks for more shots at getting it right

13 minutes ago, Peppersmacks said:

Ah, the fallacy that Howie is both a horrid evaluator but would also have drafted a HOF at 6.

Well at least he'd of had a choice. 

Just doing some chores and realised, all this talk of trading both 3s to move up is the same stupid ish this franchise keeps doing. Sacrificing depth picks to make a splash. This team needs to fill out the roster with picks from the 2nd to 4th round, rather than spray and pray in the 6th and 7th rounds. It's why this roster has become such a massive dumpster fire. Naff all depth to it, just lots of froth

3 minutes ago, purplefiggy said:

Eagles do have more info than us, the same can be said for the talking heads (mostly) trouble is even with that info Howie makes bad picks (mostly)

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Uh oh. 

Maybe this will push him off of the Eagles' board. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well at least he'd of had a choice. 

But if he's a horrid evaluator, you shouldn't place any value on having the choice.  It's just totally inconsistent logic.

1 minute ago, UK Eagle said:

Just doing some chores and realised, all this talk of trading both 3s to move up is the same stupid ish this franchise keeps doing. Sacrificing depth picks to make a splash. This team needs to fill out the roster with picks from the 2nd to 4th round, rather than spray and pray in the 6th and 7th rounds. It's why this roster has become such a massive dumpster fire. Naff all depth to it, just lots of froth

If the Eagles decided to move up they would ot trade two picks in one draft. First off most teams don;t want picks in this draft, they want 2022 and 2023. Secondly Eagles have the most picks in this years draft so giving say a 3rd this year in a weak draft and a 5th next year would not be a bad thing. Just saying this is not the draft you want to have the most picks in so get quality is a bit more important in this draft. 

One frustrating thing on Paye...spending #12 overall on a DE who will never be as good as either starter for WFT.

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

One frustrating thing on Paye...spending #12 overall on a DE who will never be as good as Vinny Curry

FYP

3 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

If the Eagles decided to move up they would ot trade two picks in one draft. First off most teams don;t want picks in this draft, they want 2022 and 2023. Secondly Eagles have the most picks in this years draft so giving say a 3rd this year in a weak draft and a 5th next year would not be a bad thing. Just saying this is not the draft you want to have the most picks in so get quality is a bit more important in this draft. 

I do agree on the weak draft, but creating a vacuum from the top of the 2nd to 4th is where the good talent left will get taken - even if it is a round or 2 higher than normal.  Lower down, there will be some depth, but we're missing out on the likes of Payton Turner or a Josh Palmer to trade up. It's not what this team needs this year. For me anyway.

39 minutes ago, RLC said:

To go from 28 to 10 would take at least a 2022 1st + something else.

Frankly, I'd love to move from 12 to 28 for a 2022 1st and something else.   That's a move from #6 all the way back to the very end of the 1st round, which sounds terrible, but here's why I like it:

1 - The 2021 draft will have more questions about all prospects due to the limited schedules, limited participation, limited access, etc.   Pay it forward if a team is desperate to do something stupid. 

2 - That would give the Eagles 3 guaranteed first round picks in 2022, with another likely (Wentz trade).   That offers the team plenty of ammunition to do ANYTHING they want to do at the QB position moving forward.  If they find that Hurts can be that guy, they have the ammo to put a LOT of talent around him quickly.  If not, they have the ammunition to get virtually any QB that's available, via trade for a veteran, or trade up for a draft pick.

3 - This makes any impact from the 2021 first round pick that much less likely, which might just make the noose a little tighter around Howie's neck.  

4 - I don't trust Howie.   I want someone else making the picks.  And since Howie is still here, he's making the picks for 2021.  The hope (as delusional as it might be) is that they'd find someone new to make the picks for 2022.

14 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Imagine this place is Howie does trade up to 9, but does so for Paye.

Probably the same as when he traded up for BG when you had Earl Thomas sitting there.  

I know, I know, BG is an Eagles legend and proved that he was a "good" pick but before Malcolm Jenkins came around the Eagles struck out on every safety they brought in.  There's no telling how BG or Earl Thomas's career paths would have gone had the Eagles taken Thomas instead.

At the time and in the moment, that was one of the biggest WTF moments for me.  

11 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Yup, similar point to what I just posted.  It makes NO SENSE to give up picks that you need to build this team.  They are rebuilding.  You can't rebuild if you trade the meat of your picks away.  

One of the reasons we are here where we are is because they have not had those mid-round picks as of late.  In the past few drafts they've had numerous times where they sat idle while upwards of 80 picks are made between picks.  There's a huge talent gap when you don't pick for that long.  To trade away the 3rds they have would be so dumb.  I can trading one of them to bump up but no way am I trading 2. 

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

One frustrating thing on Paye...spending #12 overall on a DE who will never be as good as either starter for WFT.

To add on, spending #12 on a pick who even if he starts will only play 50-60% of the snaps because of how the Eagles, and Colts for that matter, rotate their ends.  

You use 12 on a CB, he's never coming off the field.  Same goes for WR, Pitts, LT (which I don't want) or a QB. 

Archived