Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

52 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Traded Ertz, 37, and 70 for 33 and 65.  Which option do you like better..

Option 1 

image.thumb.png.1de066c6199f333cf9806bac39034bf2.png

Option 2 

image.thumb.png.ed3ae02ca451548c5f47fefcaec788f1.png

Option 2 and its not even close

8 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Lurie has been intensely involved with this team and football for more than a quarter century. He's had a number of coaches, good, bad, and atrocious. He's sat down with all of them and studied their approaches and witnessed their successes and failures and asked why. I think he knows way more about football than any of us.

Sure.   

But, if I own a trucking company for 25 years and hire a bunch of drivers, dispatchers, mechanics, etc.   That doesn't automatically give me a CDL.  I wouldn't be qualified to drive a truck, to repair a truck, to actually run a shift as a dispatcher, or even to go out and buy a new truck based on a true evaluation of the truck's strengths and weaknesses.   I can ask questions of each, and try to get them all to be more metacognitive about their decision making processes, but I'd not be qualified to do any of their jobs, even if I have very strong opinions.   I could force certain elements in the business, but if those decisions go poorly, I should be the one held accountable and not fire the driver or the dispatcher if a delivery is late because made the wrong decision (or forced them to make the wrong decision - aka, JJAW).  

Being in meetings where things are discussed, and actually being involved in the day to day grind are two very different things.  And more importantly, the owner isn't held responsible for his bad decisions.   There's not really much change to his bottom line because he pushed the wrong player to be drafted.  But, the coach lost his job, partly because the player he pushed to be drafted can't play a lick.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

There's a VAST difference between understanding the 'business' of football, and understanding the 'game' of football.    I posit that while Lurie absolutely gets the business, he doesn't get the game, but dangerously, believes that he does.  

From Tommy's piece: 

I agree 100% with Tommy's assessment.  

(And as I've pointed out a TON recently, Lowie went AWAY from what got them to the Super Bowl in 2017 ever since that final gun.  They changed how to manage the roster, manage the cap and manage the draft.   And it has ALL been bad since then.)

And to finish it off with the quote from the great Samuel Clemons.

Aint-what-you-dont-know-Image-Mark-Twain

One of my favorite Twain quotes.  I agree that Howie, Mr. Consensus as I call him, is a problem.  He reminds me of a boss I had.  We went to discuss a matter with the head of our part of the organization.  Present also was my boss’ direct report.  Now I was directly handling the matter and well prepared for the session.  My boss was rather new and the head guy wanted to get a feel for him.  After my second attempt to save him, the head guy basically told me to shut it and let my boss answer.  He discovered right then and there that my boss was a yes man.  He was a poor fit and gone in about a year.  For every meeting thereafter, it was the head guy and me, my boss’ boss occasionally, if he was available.   If Lurie needs a yes man instead of one telling him no or guiding him in a different line of thinking then he is as useless as that boss was and needs to be phased out.

6 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Other teams have had success by not meddling with operations and by letting the experts handle things

Jerry meddles a ton and that team hasn't been successful in decades

Ding Ding Ding!   In fact, since the moment that he became more meddlesome, they've been the definition of mediocre... other than the residual impact of the roster left behind by Jimmy Johnson.

I said it before if I owned a team , I would be involved , to a degree 

the trouble is the longer you own it , the more staff you see come and go , the more you think you know , would be my guess .

the good ones hire a quality GM and let them handle things for the most part , still answering to the owner , maybe Jeff thinks he has a good one in Howie 

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

One of my favorite Twain quotes.  I agree that Howie, Mr. Consensus as I call him, is a problem.  He reminds me of a boss I had.  We went to discuss a matter with the head of our part of the organization.  Present also was my boss’ direct report.  Now I was directly handling the matter and well prepared for the session.  My boss was rather new and the head guy wanted to get a feel for him.  After my second attempt to save him, the head guy basically told me to shut it and let my boss answer.  He discovered right then and there that my boss was a yes man.  He was a poor fit and gone in about a year.  For every meeting thereafter, it was the head guy and me, my boss’ boss occasionally, if he was available.   If Lurie needs a yes man instead of one telling him no or guiding him in a different line of thinking then he is as useless as that boss was and needs to be phased out.

I will be quite happy if Howie is ever pushed out.   But, Lurie seems to like that insulation around him.

• Like 1

Lets be real about this, if any of us owned an NFL team, we all would meddle the ish out of it too.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Lets be real about this, if any of us owned an NFL team, we all would meddle the ish out of it too.

Probably so.

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Hire the right people and put in the appropriate systems including accountability monitoring...and then let people do their jobs. Then either train up your key figures or let them go for a better fit. It really isn't that hard to have a quality organization and still maintain a healthy detachment.

What the Eagles are walking through is either a personnel problem or system breakdown....or both!

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

There are levels here. Question asking isn’t a bad thing. It’s the degree of the questioning, and insulting a coach’s intelligence with ridiculous questions like "why did you run so much” in a win where the answer was beyond obvious. Read the room, Jeff. 

Depends on the HC's answer. Did he run because the pass wasn't working or he saw things on film?

Here is Dane Brugler from the Athletic's full mock draft results for the Eagles.

12. Philadelphia Eagles – Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina

The Eagles could go wide receiver here or add to the trenches, but Philadelphia also needs help at cornerback.

Horn and Darius Slay starting on the outside would help make cornerback a strength.

37. Philadelphia Eagles – Creed Humphrey, OC, Oklahoma

70. Philadelphia Eagles – Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

84. Philadelphia Eagles – Dayo Odeyingbo, DL, Vanderbilt

123. Philadelphia Eagles – Brenden Jaimes, OT, Nebraska

150. Philadelphia Eagles – Tony Fields II, LB, West Virginia

189. Philadelphia Eagles – Trill Williams, DS, Syracuse

224. Philadelphia Eagles – Bryan Mills, CB, North Carolina Central
225. Philadelphia Eagles – Elijah Mitchell, RB, Louisiana

234. Philadelphia Eagles – Sam Ehlinger, QB, Texas

240. Philadelphia Eagles – Zach Davidson, TE, Central Missouri

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The first step after admitting there is an issue is to reassess, regroup and set up a vision....I think the Eagles FO are visionless right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Lurie asking questions every week to both the HC and the GM = fair. He should do that. That's what managers do.
Lurie breaking any ties regarding personnel = absurd. He's not an expert. If he doesn't trust the GM/HC, fire them. 

Depends on the questions

• Like 1

There is a chart for everything , found this on another board

not good news for 2 QBs I like this year , Mills and Mond 

image.thumb.png.18798bc13f2a02b3baa2e447f03541bb.png

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

These sorts of rumors are usually nonsense, because a good GM is always "interested."

That is, they monitor the situation, keep in touch casually, and are prepared if the situation changes (say it turns out the lawyers "prepped" the complaints and they're subsequently dismissed).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

These sorts of rumors are usually nonsense, because a good GM is always "interested."

That is, they monitor the situation, keep in touch casually, and are prepared if the situation changes (say it turns out the lawyers "prepped" the complaints and they're subsequently dismissed).

It sounds like agent-speak to me...

6 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

There is a chart for everything , found this on another board

image.thumb.png.18798bc13f2a02b3baa2e447f03541bb.png

You're telling me we had QB1 of all time on the roster and wasted him???

Takeo Spikes – Alabama Sports Hall of Fame

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Watson's legal issues aside it is still a stupid move for the Eagles to make. 

Roseman has gotten this team into a terrible cap situation.  Watson has a massive contract. Roseman has gotten the roster into a terrible situation of old players throughout the roster with the absence of young talent worth building around.  Any trade for Watson will use up that draft capital that should be used to rebuild this roster. 

If we trade for Watson we will be the same thing the Texans were last year. A bad mess of a team with a good QB. 

1 hour ago, garingovt2000 said:

Traded Ertz, 37, and 70 for 33 and 65.  Which option do you like better..

Option 1 

image.thumb.png.1de066c6199f333cf9806bac39034bf2.png

Option 2 

image.thumb.png.ed3ae02ca451548c5f47fefcaec788f1.png

#2.  And we can forget about drafting a LB in the first round.  The Eagles won't do that, not just because the use of a top 15 pick on a position that they don't value.  But because they will not want to dedicate the salary that would be require to pay said LB before his rookie deal runs out.  They just don't earmark that kind of salary to LB.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Watson's legal issues aside it is still a stupid move for the Eagles to make. 

Roseman has gotten this team into a terrible cap situation.  Watson has a massive contract. Roseman has gotten the roster into a terrible situation of old players throughout the roster with the absence of young talent worth building around.  Any trade for Watson will use up that draft capital that should be used to rebuild this roster. 

If we trade for Watson we will be the same thing the Texans were last year. A bad mess of a team with a good QB. 

Eagles flat out do not have the cap space to take on his contract cap hits for the next two years.

Clowney signed a deal before August?? Are pigs also flying?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

Right there, no. Analytically the success rate of a QB with so little starting experience in a lower division turning into a franchise QB is pretty low.   If he is there at 12, there may be other players I would choose over him.  He is so raw, there is no guarantee he has the football IQ to succeed at the NFL level.  The probability of him failing is greater than the probability of him succeeding. 

Interesting take.

To push back a little for the sake of discussion (and to hopefully steer the blog towards something other than bishing and moaning), isn’t the bolded part true for all QBs? How many truly justify their draft position? I don’t know the answer to this, but I would guess it’s around 30%. Within that 30%, I’m curious to know what metrics correlate with a successful pick. I believe I read somewhere that being a 4 year starter was a good predictor of success, but I’m not sure of that.

On the other hand, what indication is there of a low football IQ? Is that a reputation of his or something you assume because of his lack of playing time (genuinely curious because I haven’t been able to follow the draft much this  off-season). Inexperience is one thing. Being raw mechanically is one thing. Not understanding the game is another. In the latter case, isn’t this what coaching is for?

Being incapable of learning is an entirely different thing and will doom the player, but Lance is 20 years old and by all accounts has a good work ethic. For me this is the real question: can he learn? Because the raw talent is there to be an All-Pro.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Clowney signed a deal before August?? Are pigs also flying?

Wanted to be the highest paid DE in the NFL, and has had to settle for back to back one year deals.  He has not played this very well.  Wanted north of 20 million per on a long term deal, has averaged up to 12.5 million the last 2 years.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

No I wouldn't.  Especially not after I did it another way for 20 years and then lucked into a SB trophy.   I also wouldn't start the season opening press conference with a 60 minute diatribe about the coronavirus and social/political issues either.  Trying to justify his actions the past few years by comparing us to him and saying we would do the same, is a cop out.  He's gone off the rails and it will hit him where it counts, eventually.  The impact of his bad decisions has been masked by covid.  That distraction won't be around much longer.  

But if I'm being real.......if I had his kind of money.  I would be more like Leonard Tose than Lurie.  And I know I wouldn't be married.