Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

44 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Lets be real about this, if any of us owned an NFL team, we all would meddle the ish out of it too.

Oh Lord the Truth has been spoken.  Not only that but it is utter ridiculousness to believe we would approach anything through our current experiential lenses as we would if we had become Billionaires and then purchased an NFL team.

• Like 2

The game changes and is played differently over generations.  There are HOF coaches who go stale and fail because of how long they've been around the game.  Jeff Lurie being around the team for 25 years doesn't mean a thing.

50 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Lets be real about this, if any of us owned an NFL team, we all would meddle the ish out of it too.

Absolutely.  And I'd come on the blog and talk about how great the owner was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anyone who is investing in crypto right now, congrats!  The market is exploding.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No.   And if the Eagles do that, it will just go ahead and prove once again that they have no idea what they are doing.   

You NEVER trade down from a higher pick (6) to a lower pick (12) before the draft starts if there is a player that you love so much (especially a QB) that requires you to make a trade back up to 8.  You can't know that you'll be able to make the move to 8 when the time comes, the team there might be targeting the exact same player you are.

And if its a QB... and they are that sold on Lance that they'd want to trade up for him at #8, then they should have been that sold on him to take him at #6.  

So, it would once again show that they are not following some grand architectural scheme of how to build the franchise, but flying by the seat of their pants and just swaying in the breeze of the currents of the fads of the NFL.

I’m asking if YOU would do that.

And in any case, they could have believed he would be off the board at #6 and weren’t willing to give up multiple first round picks for a trade up. Then when he slides, the value proposition changes. Instead of giving up multiple first rounders, they gain one for themselves and only give up a third.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

There are levels here. Question asking isn’t a bad thing. It’s the degree of the questioning, and insulting a coach’s intelligence with ridiculous questions like "why did you run so much” in a win where the answer was beyond obvious. Read the room, Jeff. 

If you don't have a good answer for why you did something, you're probably getting lucky, and what makes that dangerous, you think you were smart, not lucky.

It's one thing to struggle as a public speaker, but if the HC can't clearly articulate his thinking behind his decision making, Lowie have more than enough experience to know he's a lost soul, and should be nervous.And Pederson's inability to bring in first rate coaching talent either meant he had a limited network or didn't want anyone who'd challenge his authority. I think without the SB, Pederson and Schwartz would have been history after 2018.

Conversely, Sirianni won the job, they had interviewed a long list and had a few more candidates, yet immediately jumped on him (if they wanted a yes man, any rookie HC would do, and they wouldn't even have talked to McDaniels). Looking at his coaching staff, he has a nice mix of young "up and comers" like Gannon (in wide demand as a DC) and Johnson as QB coach, experienced coaches like Michaels, Stoutland and Rocker. But not a lot of retreads (30 years of mediocrity) or junior guys who worked under him.

If they trust Sirianni, you'll see Lowie fade back into the woodwork. It's not that Siranni won't make mistakes, but if his logic is sound, that should placate Lowie.

Just now, Khani1 said:

Anyone who is investing in crypto right now, congrats!  The market is exploding.

I still have no idea what any of that is.  And please.  Don't try to explain it.  I just wanted you to know that I am admitting to being ignorant about something.  

Aren't you proud of me?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

bubble bubble toil and trouble

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Clowney signed a deal before August?? Are pigs also flying?

Overhyped. Browns looked really good and I was rooting for the fanbase last season

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I still have no idea what any of that is.  And please.  Don't try to explain it.  I just wanted you to know that I am admitting to being ignorant about something.  

Aren't you proud of me?

I am very proud of you.  History was made today!

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No I wouldn't.  Especially not after I did it another way for 20 years and then lucked into a SB trophy.   I also wouldn't start the season opening press conference with a 60 minute diatribe about the coronavirus and social/political issues either.  Trying to justify his actions the past few years by comparing us to him and saying we would do the same, is a cop out.  He's gone off the rails and it will hit him where it counts, eventually.  The impact of his bad decisions has been masked by covid.  That distraction won't be around much longer.  

But if I'm being real.......if I had his kind of money.  I would be more like Leonard Tose than Lurie.  And I know I wouldn't be married.  

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

All it would take is "Mr. Nest, we are going to take Kyle Pitts at #6"

Just now, Khani1 said:

I am very proud of you.  History was made today!

Yep.  It's not often that I am wrong or clueless about a topic.  So you're right.  

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

All it would take is "Mr. Nest, we are going to take Kyle Pitts at #6"

Nope.  Because my face would be so buried in strange that I wouldn't even know who Kyle Pitts was.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Clowney signed a deal before August?? Are pigs also flying?

AFC a 3 horse race between the Browns, Bills and Chiefs. 

9 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Overhyped. Browns looked really good and I was rooting for the fanbase last season

He's overrated but Clowney and Garrett is a solid one two punch

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The last two non QB first overall picks now playing on the same D line.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Both are dirty players.  Hey....that's a good name for them, The Dirty Duo.

19 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Aren't you proud of me?

No.

1 minute ago, Freshmilk said:

No.

It’s good that no one was talking to you. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It’s good that no one was talking to you. 

I don't care.

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Nope.

Just now, Freshmilk said:

I don't care.

That's cute.  Someone got their big boy pants on today.  

Big Boy Pants GIFs | Tenor

33 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Aren't you proud of me?

Always no

• Haha 1

Just now, austinfan said:

bubble bubble toil and trouble

I called the last top which was obvious mania, but I’m not so sure this time around.

The institutional money flow into BTC, and to a lesser extent ETH, provides a pretty strong support. You have regulatory tail winds and monetary policy cheapening the denominator.

Most of the models like Metcalfe’s Law and S2F still show BTC at about fair price. Barriers to entry are collapsing both at the consumer and institutional level. Historically, it’s the best risk adjusted return of all time. I think you’ll see the vol come down on both market directions over the next decade.

Most models put the top for this cycle in the low to mid 6 figures per BTC, and there are a multitude of institutional buyers offering support in the $40K range, so I still think it’s a good asymmetric bet, albeit not the great buy it was over the last two years.

Now, the crypto space in general has a lot of mania surrounding it. There are literally hundreds of coins and 20 or so of them may have any real future. But BTC is here to stay IMO (or at least until governments start viewing it as a threat and cut off the on/off ramps from fiat), and VISA is already putting out a pilot program to accept USDC, so ETH is probably cemented as a mainstay as well.

Just now, greend said:

Always no

Wasn't talking to you either, animal killer.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nope.

So Howie tells you his plan for this upcoming season is re-sign 39 year old Jason Peters to start at LT, as well as bring back Alshon on a prove it deal and you would give the greenlight?

34 minutes ago, TEW said:

I’m asking if YOU would do that.

And in any case, they could have believed he would be off the board at #6 and weren’t willing to give up multiple first round picks for a trade up. Then when he slides, the value proposition changes. Instead of giving up multiple first rounders, they gain one for themselves and only give up a third.

I answered the question in the first word.  "NO".  Nothing more needs to be said on that subject.

And no, the valuation doesn't change that significantly.  IF they thought so highly of him that they thought he was worthy of a top 5 pick, then they should have stayed at #6, in the hope that he falls into their lap, not jump the gun and make a trade 2 months before the draft.   If he's worthy of a top 5 pick, and you are at #6, then you stay put and hope a team ahead of you is stupid and reaches at a different target.   Then you celebrate just like the Vikings did when Jefferson slid to them.  You do NOT trade back months ahead of time, and then try to trade back up again later.   At #6, you are in control if he starts to slide.   At #12, you are at the mercy of the team you want to trade up with (and may have to bid against other teams seeing the slide).   

It would be a foolish move by the Eagles, given that they've already put half their cards on the table.   

As for the net gain in picks by moving back from #6 to #12, then back to #8.  I think you grossly undervalued what it would cost to move back to #8, especially if a QB that slides is the impetus to move up. QBs make the prices steeper, that's just the way it goes in the NFL.  

And, if I see it happen, I will point out how this organization continues to show that they have no rudder, nor anyone at the helm that knows how to hold a single course of action in mind for longer than a NY minute.