EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/3/2021 at 11:56 PM, Alphagrand said:

I really do think they were trying to do Sudfeld a favor for being a ‘good soldier’ for the past 3 years — and I don’t believe that Doug actually understands that Sudfeld stinks 

I thought the same thing, and sorta felt bad for Suds, the league decided Doug was tanking on purpose by putting him in the game. They acted like Doug pulled McNabb for Andy Hall for cripes sake. 

19 minutes ago, aptosbird said:

I think the Eagles FO have had a pretty solid offseason so far and I am hoping Howie has received a strong message from above. I think this is the year where coaching and scouting input will matter. I will make my yearly plug for a LB early in the draft, but would be satisfied if the Eagles stay put and grab either Slater, Horn, Surtain, Smith or Waddle....no big surprises please

Super low bar set when a team is at the extreme bottom.   

Trade away your QB because you've alienated him - check.
Trade back in the draft to accumulate more draft picks, because the team is completely void of youthful talent - check.
Essentially ignore free agency because you don't have any money to spend anyway - check.

20 minutes ago, austinfan said:

JJAW was the only real gaffe.

I start to wonder if you could pass a sobriety test when you make statements like this.

11 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Even kicker?

Elliot has been pretty bad recently, but the contract he's under (sound familiar) pretty much locks him in as the kicker this year.

6 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Haven't seen that comparison anywhere. Parsons is a great athlete, but I haven't seen him described as highly instinctual.

"There are some negatives to Parsons’ game; for one, he isn’t as instinctual with his keys, and he does tend to lose responsibility at times against the run. Attacks with ferociousness downhill but is susceptible to misdirection--he could develop better eye discipline."

To me he's perfect for a scheme where they can let him loose on the edge to attack and disrupt.

I would think, with our D-line being very strong against the run, it would play very much to his strengths where he could be let loose? 

10 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Haven't seen that comparison anywhere. Parsons is a great athlete, but I haven't seen him described as highly instinctual.

"There are some negatives to Parsons’ game; for one, he isn’t as instinctual with his keys, and he does tend to lose responsibility at times against the run. Attacks with ferociousness downhill but is susceptible to misdirection--he could develop better eye discipline."

To me he's perfect for a scheme where they can let him loose on the edge to attack and disrupt.

Google Micah Parsons Luke Kuechly, the comparison are everywhere.

8 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I would argue it's never worth any pick to take a kicker. They're such headcases and so inconsistent from year to year, with very few outliers. 

That's a different discussion, but as a 'need'... kicker is a need.   It would be incompetent to draft a kicker in Round 1.   Even when the Raiders selected Ray Guy as a punter in Round 1, you have to wonder... who would have grabbed him before Round 2, or even 3?    And as good as he was, how much better was he than the next guy or even 'any' guy?   How many games over his career did the Raiders win as a direct result of his punts?     

Just ludicrous stuff.  But, there's not a single position on this team that wouldn't be potentially upgraded by selecting a player at that position in Round 1.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Elliot has been pretty bad recently, but the contract he's under (sound familiar) pretty much locks him in as the kicker this year.

At least Howie didn't add any void years.....yet

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's a different discussion, but as a 'need'... kicker is a need.   It would be incompetent to draft a kicker in Round 1.   Even when the Raiders selected Ray Guy as a punter in Round 1, you have to wonder... who would have grabbed him before Round 2, or even 3?    And as good as he was, how much better was he than the next guy or even 'any' guy?   How many games over his career did the Raiders win as a direct result of his punts?     

Just ludicrous stuff.  But, there's not a single position on this team that wouldn't be potentially upgraded by selecting a player at that position in Round 1.

Lol yes, I was saying it more tongue in cheek. Kicker/punter should probably be amongst the last positions added to fill out a roster, IMO.

6 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Lol yes, I was saying it more tongue in cheek. Kicker/punter should probably be amongst the last positions added to fill out a roster, IMO.

He actually did 

So what do you think Howie's top 10 draft board for pick 12 looks like this morning.  Removing players we have not shot at, here is my Howie board.

I would have the Alabama players ranked higher, but we seem to have something against drafting the most NFL ready players from the best college program.

Kwitty Paye

Rasahwn Slater

Jaylen Waddle

Devonta Smith

Jaycee Horn

Christian Darrisaw

Patrick Surtain

Alijah Vera-Tucker

Jaelan Phillips

Caleb Fairley

15 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I thought he compared favorably to Keuchly? 

He actually compares perfectly with Jamal Adams, if Adams was 246lbs.  He can drop in zone coverage and he reads gaps like a running back.  His biggest issue coming to the NFL is every college linebackers biggest issue, shedding blocks of larger and more skilled linemen. 
 There’s a reason he’s the best LB prospect in nearly a decade and didn’t take a huge hit by opting out.  Parsons has it all.  

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So what do you think Howie's top 10 draft board for pick 12 looks like this morning.  Removing players we have not shot at, here is my Howie board.

I would have the Alabama players ranked higher, but we seem to have something against drafting the most NFL ready players from the best college program.

Kwitty Paye

Rasahwn Slater

Jaylen Waddle

Devonta Smith

Jaycee Horn

Christian Darrisaw

Patrick Surtain

Alijah Vera-Tucker

Jaelan Phillips

Caleb Fairley

I can honestly say I would rather take Caleb Farley at #12 than Paye — and not by a little, by a lot.

6 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

According to overthecap, there is a voidable year on Elliot's contract:

309051083_ScreenShot2021-04-29at11_23_34AM.thumb.png.10a018c3a70aba2bd3c581b3b67b2611.png

He's already got $9M in dead money for 2022 in Ertz, McLeod, Wilson, Harris and Flacco.  Plus over another $14M in the carryover of Jeffery and Malik Jackson's contract.   So, without anything extra being done, there's already $23M in dead money for 2022 for players that won't be contributing in 2022... and a few that didn't contribute in 2021, and one that didn't contribute in 2020 either (Jeffery) or 2019 (Jackson).   Amazing stuff.

6 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

He actually compares perfectly with Jamal Adams, if Adams was 246lbs.  He can drop in zone coverage and he reads gaps like a running back.  His biggest issue coming to the NFL is every college linebackers biggest issue, shedding blocks of larger and more skilled linemen. 
 There’s a reason he’s the best LB prospect in nearly a decade and didn’t take a huge hit by opting out.  Parsons has it all.  

But Howie apologist afan said he is a flashy tinker toy.

The Eagles better not overthink this. Unless they get a deal too good to pass up....Stay at #12 and pick the best guy up there. Not Kwitty Paye. There are 12 better players.

Paye has raw talent but he needs to be coached up. Plenty fast, but not big/strong enough to power past guys at NFL level. He needs to work on technique if he's going to consistently beat lineman. I'm not sure with a rookie coach/rookie DC they're ready for the challenge. They will be under a lot of pressure if he's the Eagles first pick at #12.

Just now, toolg said:

The Eagles better not overthink this. Unless they get a deal too good to pass up....Stay at #12 and pick the best guy up there. Not Kwitty Paye. There are 12 better players.

Paye has raw talent but he needs to be coached up. Plenty fast, but not big/strong enough to power past guys at NFL level. He needs to work on technique if he's going to consistently beat lineman. I'm not sure with a rookie coach/rookie DC they're ready for the challenge. They will be under a lot of pressure if he's the Eagles first pick at #12.

170545-galaxy-quest-didnt-you-guys-ev-TM

1 hour ago, DumbleBear said:

Nobody undermined Carson. Hurts will be in the same situation. If there's a good QB available that will improve that room, fully expect the Eagles to take him. 

This isn't favorites. First off , Pro Football is just about the most violent occupation in the world besides Combat soldier. 

So chances of your starter playing 17 are slim... Need I go on? 

Yes, please 

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

According to overthecap, there is a voidable year on Elliot's contract:

309051083_ScreenShot2021-04-29at11_23_34AM.thumb.png.10a018c3a70aba2bd3c581b3b67b2611.png

He's already got $9M in dead money for 2022 in Ertz, McLeod, Wilson, Harris and Flacco.  Plus over another $14M in the carryover of Jeffery and Malik Jackson's contract.   So, without anything extra being done, there's already $23M in dead money for 2022 for players that won't be contributing in 2022... and a few that didn't contribute in 2021, and one that didn't contribute in 2020 either (Jeffery) or 2019 (Jackson).   Amazing stuff.

Lol, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse....oy vey

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

But Howie apologist afan said he is a flashy tinker toy.

That was Dion Jordan and Clowney, Parsons is a legit football player.  One of the best things about the kid if you watch his tape is he probably had 25-30 tackles that he could of crushed the RB, instead he just tackled him. Not looking for a big hit, or a likely penalty in the NFL that Barnett can’t get away from, Parsons is a solid tackler.   That’s where his Kuechly comparisons come from, he’s always near the ball when it matters. 

Parsons would immediately become the foundation of this defense for the next decade. 

So what if he gets caught on misdirection and needs work on eye discipline?  That's why we have coaches. 

So what if he's got character concerns?  I don't need Mother Teresa out there.  I want someone that's going to rip their heads off and crap down their throats.  As long as he's dedicated to football and isn't going to become some huge distraction, I'll take an abrasive personality. 

4 minutes ago, hukdonfoniks said:

Parsons would immediately become the foundation of this defense for the next decade. 

So what if he gets caught on misdirection and needs work on eye discipline?  That's why we have coaches. 

So what if he's got character concerns?  I don't need Mother Teresa out there.  I want someone that's going to rip their heads off and crap down their throats.  As long as he's dedicated to football and isn't going to become some huge distraction, I'll take an abrasive personality. 

Yes, yes, yes.  This team needs a little edge, a little swag.  Get some of The U mentality on this team.  You can't have 53 choir boys.

5 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Lol, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse....oy vey

2l1o6LJ.gif?noredirect

4 minutes ago, toolg said:

Disagree.  I wouldn't mind trading back, especially if it gives us 2022 picks.

This is such a strange draft, given that there's guys that opted out of 2020 because of COVID.  No NFL combine, no in-person interviews.  If somebody like New England offers a good package I would strongly consider it.  We have a lot of holes to fill on this team!

6 minutes ago, hukdonfoniks said:

I tend to agree with this.  There are different level of character concerns.  I'm not defending what he did as far as "initiation" stuff but I can tell you there were guys on football teams I played on that did some STRANGE things when it came to hazing.  The amount of tea bagging, atomic sit ups and other stupid 18 year old testosterone filled antics that went on during 2-a-days was unbelievable.  

Now, if he's still running around slappin his D on Jalen Hurts or Jason Kelce then we have a problem.

The issue here is the Eagles will never take a LB that high.

Archived