Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

I’d have fired Howie and then looked for a more competent GM. 

That's not the point.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Can you get the Eagles #12 overall draft pick’s autograph for me?

image.thumb.jpeg.21c20f1e8b25b9cde87a2b57bcb26339.jpeg

Calvin Klein - Calvin Klein Obsession Eau De Toilette Spray, Cologne for  Men, 6.7 Oz - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

• Haha 4

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

That's not the point.

It kind of is.  I think you're missing the point.  The point is Lurie has enabled this mess and Howie.  If it were us....it would not have gotten to this point because we would not have been meddling like Lurie is.  

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That's cute.  Someone got their big boy pants on today.  

Big Boy Pants GIFs | Tenor

You are chronically dull.  Though I do agree with your draft strategy.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It kind of is.  I think you're missing the point.  The point is Lurie has enabled this mess and Howie.  If it were us....it would not have gotten to this point because we would not have been meddling like Lurie is.  

Lurie/Howie are just names. It boils down to if you owned any team, would you be completely hands off or would you use your power here and there. Not "if you were in this specific situation of being Jeff Lurie".

My point is everyone spends every day on here saying "I wouldn't have given that contract to that player. I wouldn't have signed this free agent. This is the guy I want to sign. I would draft this guy over that guy" and then when hypothetically given the reigns to do so they are going to take a sharp 180 and be completely hands off? I'd be very surprised.

Either way, it's a pointless debate.

16 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I still like Bolton a lot.  He explodes on tape.  Odd he didn't test that way.  

Very straight line IMO

3 minutes ago, olsilverhair said:

Shutup freshbuttermilk

Gosh, this is remarkable.  Keep them coming.

• Like 1

What mess? The rebuild was inevitable, it was delayed a year, but nothing could have stopped it. And 2020 was basically the same as a rebuilding year, they ended up with #6.

Howie already has 3 1sts (fingers crossed) in 2022 draft, 11 picks in this draft and Ertz still on the trading block.

And it's a heck of a lot easier drafting at #12 and #37 than 20+ and 50+.

The real key is whether Sirianni is the right HC for a rebuild, and we'll have a good idea in two years. If he can turn players like JJAW, Jackson, etc. into assets, he's the right guy.

It's a mess if we hit 2023 and we've barely added talent, and have to look forward to a decade like the Giants (6 10+ game losing seasons in 10 years after winning a SB).

• Haha 2

Just now, Freshmilk said:

You are chronically dull.  Though I do agree with your draft strategy.

I'm hilarious and unpredictable.  Far from dull ma'am.  

Just now, austinfan said:

What mess? The rebuild was inevitable, it was delayed a year, but nothing could have stopped it. And 2020 was basically the same as a rebuilding year, they ended up with #6.

Howie already has 3 1sts (fingers crossed) in 2022 draft, 11 picks in this draft and Ertz still on the trading block.

The real key is whether Sirianni is the right HC for a rebuild, and we'll have a good idea in two years. If he can turn players like JJAW, Jackson, etc. into assets, he's the right guy.

It's a mess if we hit 2023 and we've barely added talent, and have to look forward to a decade like the Giants (6 10+ game losing seasons in 10 years after winning a SB).

Remain Calm GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You are the epitome of predictable.  Which is dull.  But I appreciate your football sense.

2 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

You are the epitome of predictable.  Which is dull.  But I appreciate your football sense.

Look at all my laughing emojis.  I’m killing them. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I think its more like this :) 

X8jYbSz.gif

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Can you get the Eagles #12 overall draft pick’s autograph for me?

image.thumb.jpeg.21c20f1e8b25b9cde87a2b57bcb26339.jpeg

If hes the pick at 12 the stadium staff is going to have a big mess to clean up in my pod. I will deny it of course. 

source.gif

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Speaking of more money spent. 3 more additions to the collection arrived today 🙂 Famicom, Super Famicom(Japanese versions of NES and SNES) and Atari Pong. Getting there. 24 systems down, many more to go still, lol

20210414_143450.thumb.jpg.a59f72046a5601ace0148820545de215.jpg

image.jpeg.3be471530e3c4f419130943e288094be.jpeg

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Come on AF.  You can't see the mess that the FO is?  All of these reports about the dysfunction doesn't throw any red flags up to you?  The Eagles management team is a mess.

The real key is not if Sirianni is the right HC, it's if Howie can make use of all of these draft picks.  It's great having 5 picks in the 1st 125 this year.  3 first rounders next year (potentially) and still having some trade chips such as Ertz.  

Let's go back 5 years of drafting.  I'm looking at building a contending team with draft picks, not just guys who were here for 1 season and were on the SB52 team.

2016- Wentz, Seumalo, Smallwood, Big V, Countess, Mills, McCallister, Walker

2017- Barnett, Jones, Douglas, Hollins, Pumphrey, Gibson, Gerry, Qualls

2018- Goedert, Maddox, Sweat, Pryor, Mailata

2019- Dillard, Sanders, JJAW, Miller, Thorson

2020- Reagor, Hurts, Taylor, Wallace, Driscoll, Hightower, Bradley, Watkins, Wanogho,Toohill

Seumalo, Barnett, Goedert, Maddox, Sweat, Mailata, Dillard, Sanders, JJAW, Reagor, Hurts, Taylor, Wallace, Driscoll, Hightower, Bradley, Watkins

From the last 5 years, we have 17 guys on the team out of 36 draft picks.  Of those 17, potentially 7 are starters.  Out of those 7 starters, only ONE has a Pro Bowl in Miles Sanders (voted in by a video game contest). 

Out of the entire roster, there are only 22 players that Howie has drafted.  That's adding Kelce, BG, Cox, Ertz, Lane.  Can assume Ertz is gone so it will be 21.

I get that there is roster turnover but you want your drafts to build the core of your team.  Howie is not doing that.  Far to may of his draft picks don't make the team or contribute.  

Nick can only do so much coaching the team that Howie gives him.  I have NO faith in Howie doing the right thing with all of the draft picks he's acquired. 

36 minutes ago, austinfan said:

That is a huge role of dices to count on the new HC being the right guy.  Lurie and Howie better have solid reasons to think Sirianni has what it takes to get the job done.  Further if they dictate on which players to take in the next 2 drafts, that will impact greatly on how the team plays. The two at the top of organization will take the blames or glories based on how the rebuilding works out.

2 hours ago, greend said:

A win is a win. You sound just like a micro manager.

I agree... to an extent.  I would be very disappointed (and was) if the team wins because the rookie QB running the ball is a major part of the game plan, because that is all about the short term, and not at all about long term sustainability.

I've said it before, and I will continue to say it.  When the QB has more rushes than completions, that's a MASSIVE red flag to any type of long term sustainability.    In that NO game, Hurts had 17 completions and 18 carries.  167 yards passing, 106 yards rushing.   That is NOT sustainable.   And frankly, they would have had no shot if NO didn't have to prove that Taysom Hill was actually a QB.   If they played Winston, I have no doubt, the Eagles lose that game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I think the reason Smolenski doesn’t get much said about him is he doesn’t seem to have much, if any, direct involvement with roster development. His role seemed to describe being involved with and overseeing things like marketing, team sponsors, public relations, working with team lawyers, stadium issues, ect. Things of that nature. Things the average fan doesn’t care about or think of. 

And my follow on question is, with such a bad culture over a period of time, there should be a stage where a senior Exec steps across the divide, even if it's not his area of expertise, to raise concerns.  Especially one that will have the ear of Lurie.  He can't be blind to the cultural issues in the Eagles, nor the feedback from the customers/partners.

I'd recommend anyone watch (rather than listen to) the Q&A podcast. The body language on Mikell and Avant in regards to that new story was revealing, as was what they did not say or took care to not say anything too controversial. Both have worked inside the Eagles, so it's not rumour or sources

56 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I thought we were past all this when the conversation turned to economics and politics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Lurie/Howie are just names. It boils down to if you owned any team, would you be completely hands off or would you use your power here and there. Not "if you were in this specific situation of being Jeff Lurie".

My point is everyone spends every day on here saying "I wouldn't have given that contract to that player. I wouldn't have signed this free agent. This is the guy I want to sign. I would draft this guy over that guy" and then when hypothetically given the reigns to do so they are going to take a sharp 180 and be completely hands off? I'd be very surprised.

Either way, it's a pointless debate.

Why are you making this about 'completely hands off' versus 'meddling'?  There is a gulf between those.  

The owner has to make hires at the highest levels of the organization.  THEN, they step back and let those hires do their jobs.   

3 hours ago, TEW said:

Interesting take.

To push back a little for the sake of discussion (and to hopefully steer the blog towards something other than bishing and moaning), isn’t the bolded part true for all QBs? How many truly justify their draft position? I don’t know the answer to this, but I would guess it’s around 30%. Within that 30%, I’m curious to know what metrics correlate with a successful pick. I believe I read somewhere that being a 4 year starter was a good predictor of success, but I’m not sure of that.

On the other hand, what indication is there of a low football IQ? Is that a reputation of his or something you assume because of his lack of playing time (genuinely curious because I haven’t been able to follow the draft much this  off-season). Inexperience is one thing. Being raw mechanically is one thing. Not understanding the game is another. In the latter case, isn’t this what coaching is for?

Being incapable of learning is an entirely different thing and will doom the player, but Lance is 20 years old and by all accounts has a good work ethic. For me this is the real question: can he learn? Because the raw talent is there to be an All-Pro.

With Lance you are getting a QB that is basically starting his junior year at this point in his development.  His junior year was just played this spring and he opted out to prepare for the draft based on a stellar sophomore season against the likes of South Dakota, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa, etc.  In other words, he wasn’t facing NFL level defenses.  He may have a great work ethic.  So do a lot of players that never get drafted.  I agree that it is a crap shoot on drafting any QB but Lance is too much of a gamble for me at 12 with so many holes.  

Schwartz and crew marveled at Gerry’s understanding of the game but we all saw how that processing made him late to diagnose on the field.  In contrast, we see a player like TJ Edwards, who’s instincts give him a jump that somewhat compensates for pedestrian speed.  The trouble with Lance is there is as much a chance he is Anthony Morelli as Patrick Mahommes.  At this point, the Eagles need to avoid taking that level of a gamble.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

A big part of the mess is the lack of young talent on the team, as a result of bad drafting by Howie.   So, forgive me for not leaping for joy that Howie likely will have 3 1st round picks to screw up next year instead of just one.   Without a doubt, Howie absolutely SCREWED UP the first round pick last year with Reagor over Jefferson, and it had absolutely NOTHING to do with drafting at #21... because Jefferson was clearly the better player and was sitting right there for the taking at #22.   

You say its easier to draft at #12 and #37 than #20 and #50... but that is ONLY true about #12.  If you can't make the right picks at #20, why should he be trusted at #37?  There will be over a dozen fewer options available at 37 than were at 20... and it was just another knee jerk overreaction to a new direction by Howie.  

We need big receivers... get 12 personnel, Jeffery, JJAW, etc.   
We need fast receivers... get Reagor, Hightower, Watkins and trade for Goodwin.   

3 hours ago, Khani1 said:

Anyone who is investing in crypto right now, congrats!  The market is exploding.

Tulips. 

Unpopular opinion: I'd sign Golden Tate for a reasonable price. Adam Caplan and Jason Avant have gone on and on about the team needing an "alpha" veteran presence at WR; Tate seems like that guy. Definitely better than Greg Ward.