EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Based on this teams draft history, we took a WR in the first last year, we apparently hate Alabama players, and building the lines is priority, that moves Waddle, Smith and Surtain down Howies ranking IMO, and moves Paye and other lineman up.

If only Hurts stayed at Bama then Howie wouldn't have drafted him.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

If only Hurts stayed at Bama then Howie wouldn't have drafted him.

D@mn you Tua, you screwed up our franchise.

Just now, downundermike said:

Especially if he plays well this year and pushes their first rounder into the 20's.

Bama WRs do seem to be good to great nfl players unless I'm missing someone. 

Bama CBs on the other hand are hit or miss.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Very bad news.  If true, and if the two CBs and the WRs will be gone by 12, you can see the justification for giving up a 3 and more to move back up.

23 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

That’s a dumb take. More complete information is always helpful to good evaluators. And last year at this time there was hope the US wouldn’t completely botch the response to COVID. 

Also, lol at "goat house”

Like I have said over and over and over , quality scouting departments will find talent regardless. 

Sean Mcvays thoughts

The pandemic affected the college football schedule, led to cancellation of the NFL scouting combine and affected other opportunities for pro scouts to see prospects in person. Some prospects opted out of playing their college seasons.

But McVay said that would not affect evaluations.

"The tape is always the best guiding light,” McVay said.

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Smoke screen.  Cowboys will go OL.  I don't think they want to go CB 1st round again after failing to re-sign both Claiborne and Jones.  

Their OL has gone downhill fast and Tyron Smith is on the fast track to Jason Peters status.  

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I never liked Hurts in college.  I always thought he was just going to be one of those really good college QBs but struggle in the pros. 

Now that he's an Eagle I'm trying to convince myself that he will be good.

2 minutes ago, John_C said:

Very bad news.  If true, and if the two CBs and the WRs will be gone by 12, you can see the justification for giving up a 3 and more to move back up.

I still think one or two of the CB/WR's will be at 12. 4 QB's, Pitts, Chase leaves 5 players to go and that's not counting Sewell, Slater, Fields. Now the big, ugly, worst case wrench would be if San Fran goes anyone other than Mac Jones. That would make it dicey. 

3 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Like I have said over and over and over , quality scouting departments will find talent regardless. 

Sean Mcvays thoughts

The pandemic affected the college football schedule, led to cancellation of the NFL scouting combine and affected other opportunities for pro scouts to see prospects in person. Some prospects opted out of playing their college seasons.

But McVay said that would not affect evaluations.

"The tape is always the best guiding light,” McVay said.

The whole thing is so overblown. Bad GM's and scouts are just using a built in excuse. 

While we are all focused on other players of need, Howie is probably lining up Mac Jones in his sights. 

5 minutes ago, John_C said:

Whoever the Cowboys take it will be panic for a portion of this fan base.  They will get a good player at 10 just like we should get one at 12 if Howard doesnt mess it up.  

I'm done worrying about Dallas until they actually go to the NFCCG or SB.

Just now, 315Eagles said:

Whoever the Cowboys take it will be panic for a portion of this fan base.  They will get a good player at 10 just like we should get one at 12 if Howard doesnt mess it up.  

I'm done worrying about Dallas until they actually go to the NFCCG or SB.

The only one to cause me some concern would be if Pitts somehow slips down the board.

First round primer...

It seems that the general consensus for #12 is one of Smith, Waddle, Surtain, or Horn.  You may have a preferred order of those four, but one of them would probably be an acceptable result for the majority of fans.

For that to happen, eight (8) other players need to be taken beforehand.  Counting the "other eight" is also important as the team contemplates trading up to say #8 or #9.

We can comfortably assume that three QBs, Sewell, Chase, and Pitts will be gone early - that's six.  (Scenarios where Chase or Pitts may fall can be addressed separately.)

So the tension tonight will be where the "other two" come from.  Leading candidates are QB #4, QB #5, and Slater.  

That's it.  Hope that all five QBs go or another team goes OL.

Players I like at 12, minus some I think will be taken before:

Slater, AVT, Horn, Fields, Waddle/Smith, JOK

If none of them are the pick I'd trade back a few spots. 

Trading up, I'd only like to see it if Pitts is realistic. 

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Incorrect... I presented the Vikings' evaluation of preferring Jefferson to Reagor as fact... I specifically said "they (meaning the Vikings) were right" & "who knows what happens if he is drafted here instead of Reagor".  But, the Vikings were clearly pleased that the Eagles left Jefferson for them.

now, you are trying to read into Jefferson's motivation.   

The hatred of Howie is ludicrous because of Reagor versus Jefferson?  How about trading up for Pumphrey?  Drafting JJAW?  Going against the board and taking Hurts over Chinn to exercise his demons from the past (missing on Wilson)?    OK... let's ignore the draft.   

Free agent moves?  Big splashy, expensive aging players that contribute very little but lock in the team to them LONG after their impact on the team (if any) is long gone.

Cap management?   Second to worst cap situation in the NFL this year... not much better next year.  Lots of pushing bad contracts into the future to cover for his old mistakes.

Trades?  trade for a player, then pay him top dollar with a new deal?  That's paying twice.  Trading for players that the coaching can't or won't incorporate in to the offense/defense.

Simple question:  What has Howie done well in the last 3 seasons?

The question and remarks were about Jefferson specifically and the hatred of Howie over the drafting of Reagor over him. You are bringing up a 4th round draft pick from years ago as reason why Howie stinks at drafting and your fueled hatred of him clouds your judgement. Is Howie the best drafter in the NFL? Not by a long shot. He is also not the worst. He is mediocre.

Yes, I do think it is ludicrous because nobody knows anything. Jerry Jeudy was a FAR superior college prospect over Jefferson. He started almost every game for the Broncos and had a less then stellar year (856 yards and 3 TDs). Does that means that Jefferson would have done better there?

To address the other things;

1) Pumphrey - We are really talking about a 4th round pick? One that was taking towards the end of the round. This is the nonsense I am talking about. Drafting is already hard enough to hit on the right combo of talent, work ethic, personality and mesh within a system, but now we are holding 4th round picks against a GM? That to me is completely unreasonable.

2) JJAW - Looks like a bust to me. Probably would not have taken him. Do not agree that DK Metcalf would have been any better. They should have drafted Terry McClaurin there, who was and probably still is a better player then both of them. They wanted a Alshon clone.

3) Hurts - taking a highly ranked QB in the second round as protection from your oft injured starting QB is a problem? Some people rank the backup QB as the second most important position in football. While I was shocked at the selection, after thinking about it for a bit, it made a ton of sense. Who knew that Wentz was so thin skinned that it would have bothered him so much. At the very least the Eagles figured that out now.

4) Cap - it doesnt matter at all and is a silly talking point. IMHO if you are not spending the limit, you are doing it wrong.

Where I think Howie has been completely weak has establishing a solid coaching staff that can coach up players, especially rookies. I think Doug was great for coaching veteran players, but was totally out of his league when it came to coaching up young players. When he won the Super Bowl, the Eagles doubled down on signing the Vets and keeping the old team together because they thought that was their only chance, which I think was a stupid thing to do.

So at what point does the blame shift from the drafter to the coaching staff? Why is it that Rasul Douglas, Sidney Jones and Nelson Agholor were all considered busts, but somehow found success outside of the Eagles organization? Even Mack Hollins got a second contract.

If Slater is the consolation prize, I got no issues. Indy took Nelson at #6 and he made that OL and that offense.

Interior OL last decade:

2011:  Pouncy #15, PB (4)

2013:  Cooper #7, injuries derailed his career, Warmack #10, whiffff

2014:  Martin #16, PB (6)

2018:  Nelson #6 PB (3)

2019:   J Williams #11, whiff?, Lindstrom #14

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

First round primer...

It seems that the general consensus for #12 is one of Smith, Waddle, Surtain, or Horn.  You may have a preferred order of those four, but one of them would probably be an acceptable result for the majority of fans.

For that to happen, eight (8) other players need to be taken beforehand.  Counting the "other eight" is also important as the team contemplates trading up to say #8 or #9.

We can comfortably assume that three QBs, Sewell, Chase, and Pitts will be gone early - that's six.  (Scenarios where Chase or Pitts may fall can be addressed separately.)

So the tension tonight will be where the "other two" come from.  Leading candidates are QB #4, QB #5, and Slater.  

That's it.  Hope that all five QBs go or another team goes OL.

There is talk with the recent trades, the run on corners will start with Carolina, and then Denver may even jump in at 9.  So in that scenario Surtain and Horn are gone, no clue what Dallas would do in that scenario, and the Giants would take either Bama WR in that scenario.

In Walter Footballs mock draft this morning, all 4 of those guys are gone by 12.

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

If Slater is the consolation prize, I got no issues. Indy took Nelson at #6 and he made that OL and that offense.

Interior OL last decade:

2011:  Pouncy #15, PB (4)

2013:  Cooper #7, injuries derailed his career, Warmack #10, whiffff

2014:  Martin #16, PB (6)

2018:  Nelson #6 PB (3)

2019:   J Williams #11, whiff?, Lindstrom #14

You forgot Scherff.

Just now, downundermike said:

There is talk with the recent trades, the run on corners will start with Carolina, and then Denver may even jump in at 9.  So in that scenario Surtain and Horn are gone, no clue what Dallas would do in that scenario, and the Giants would take either Bama WR in that scenario.

In Walter Footballs mock draft this morning, all 4 of those guys are gone by 12.

Yup, very deflating.  Only four QBs. 

If I can't trade out, I'd go Slater, who is still good value at #12.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Right.  Corners are an absolute premium position.  I'll be shocked if they make it out of the top 10.

33 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He was arrested but the charges aren't that bad. Failure to notify even though he had a concealed carry license and the bigger charge is the possession of stolen property, if it sticks.

I feel like that maybe there’s other things behind the scenes they might not be happy with. Additionally have only 3 CBs on their roster according to their site and that includes Patrick robinson. 

Archived