Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

I don’t like hypocrisy and inconsistency.  If you are going to be a covid warrior and press players to avoid voluntary workouts, citing that data, then you better be pressing players to get vaccinated too.  

The whole thing is a mockery at this point. The NFLPA is telling players to not go to workouts "because of the pandemic” and one day later telling them it’s ok to go to restaurants, bars and clubs because the NFL is dropping punishments and fines for doing so. This has nothing to do with the pandemic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RLC said:

Lots of smoke about Carolina wanting to trade out to recoup picks from Sam Darnold trade. If Pitts or Chase are there are 8, do you trade #84 + #150 to move up? That equals the value of #8.

No.

No.

NO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Hurts gets handed the job and doesn’t want to put in the work :nonono:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Teams dont stick to them.  They don’t mean nothing.  It’s a guideline.

Yup.  And it stems from a set-up by Dallas decades ago.  It was their specific table.  It has since been modified and most teams use some sort of setup like that, but it is in no way binding.  And when people talk about this mythical table like it has any jurisdiction or any weight, I just laugh.  

What does it cost to move up from Pick X to Pick Y?   It costs whatever the team holding Pick Y deems it is worth.   If they set the price too high, then they may have to keep their pick and use it to select a player.   Meanwhile, the flip side could also be true, team holding Pick X might hear that price and counter with a lower offer, where that team with Pick Y would have the opportunity to accept the lower offer, rather than be forced to make a selection.  Ultimately, the key is the two teams, the one holding Pick X and the one holding Pick Y set the price of the pick, not some silly chart.    The chart might be a guideline for starting the negotiation process, but that's about it.  

2 hours ago, Desertbirds said:

It is irrational and puts many lives at risk.

they are the super spreaders , but the media will tell you it's church , beach goers , parties and anybody not a celeb , politician or athlete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Is there a list somewhere of all the teams refusing voluntary practice?

51 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Hurts gets handed the job and doesn’t want to put in the work :nonono:

F this guy already      :lol:

• Haha 3

Some things I’m afraid of are trading up before the Bama WRs to pick Toney and staying at 12 and drafting Vera-Tucker. Would not be surprised by either.

4 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Some things I’m afraid of are trading up before the Bama WRs to pick Toney and staying at 12 and drafting Vera-Tucker. Would not be surprised by either.

What would surprise me is if the Eagles take the obvious player available whether it's Jaycee Horn, Jaylen Waddle or even Penei Sewell at this point.  They refuse this sort of thinking.

We shouldn't be surprised by any head scratching move, we should be anticipating it.

37 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Ill say this.  The nfce was the laughing stock of the NFL last year and any of those 4 teams should be ashamed to skip any opportunity to improve 

39 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

If we trade up for Toney, I might have to take a year off from watching, lol.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

It’s a free country and people have the right to refuse the vaccine.  Cant force it.  Just as parents have the right to refuse vaccines for their children, another self destructive decision that also hurts others.  

But just as the anti-vaxers are and should be ridiculed, prominent athletes who take other covid precautions, say they are risking their lives for our entertainment, and then refuse the vaccine...they earn public scorn too.

While I agree with the substance of your comment, let's not conflate anti-vaxers with people not getting Covid shots. There's a fundamental difference between someone refusing a polio vaccine and someone having legitimate concerns over something that is, essentially, experimental. 

As WR is the most frequently and heavily scrutinized position in Philly, I wanted to just circle back and review/debate what we have.  I usually see things very differently than most, so I expect some entertaining dissent.  In rank order of my level of interest:

1. Jalen Reagor.  I am not ashamed to say I liked this pick.  Didn't like the value, but I was happy with the pick.  His disappointing combine was sort of a harbinger of things to come, as I was very disappointed with both his game speed and production as a rookie.  He just didn't seem fast or quick and ran sluggish routes.  Just a really disappointing year.  But...I still really do like his game film from college.  He really did look like he was full speed while everyone else was in slow motion.  The Desean Jackson comps didn't seem so crazy.  I hate excuses, but perhaps his long string of injuries as a rookie did slow him down.  I am still hopeful and I still believe in his potential, for now.  He still might have that raw, rare explosion and speed talent that so many teams covet in WRs.  We'll see.  But for now, I want him to be a big part of the plans moving forward.  He just needs to do a better job getting open and getting deep.

Where he should play:  When I was really high on Reagor, I wanted him as an X.  He has a sturdy frame...and if he can move the way his college tape suggests and run all the routes, then he might be able to do more high volume damage as an X.  If you want to simplify things for him, then it would be the slot or Z.

2. Quez Watkins.  Yep.  E45 and his speed.  It's not about the 40.  I get that he's raw.  In college, he ran mostly crossing routes that were just rudimentary sprints.  He needs to learn the route tree.  He's still only 22.  He has unteachable, elite linear deep speed AND excellent short area quicks/footwork (just watch that TD against AZ where he juked 2 tackles, spun, and then outran the whole defense).  There are only so many guys in the NFL that have the sheer movement talent to make that play.  If they can teach him to run routes, there may be something to work with here.  I hope his rawness doesn't allow him to fall through the cracks with a young coaching staff that might favor safer, more polished options.

Where he should play: Seems like a prototypical Z.  Depending on where Reagor settles and what additions are made, the slot may be his best opportunity.  His quickness will serve him well there, although most slot WRs have a little bulk/physicality to them.

3. Fulgham.  You all know my opinion of Fulgham.  I truly think he's a regular season Nasty Nate deserving of his own award in his name.  I think he's just bad and never expect him to ascend to that fluke 4 game stretch again.  Best case scenario is that he's a slower Jordan Matthews.  If we do invest in more speed that lacks size at the WR position, I am interested in seeing Fulgham continue to develop as a situational physical option for certain matchups.  But we are going to have problems if they try to develop him as an every down player.

Where he should play: X/slot.

4. Hightower.  I may like speed, but sometimes fast WR's can suck too.  Hightower will be a raw, 25 year old 2nd year player when the season starts.  His deep speed is good, not rare.  His style of play resembles Todd Pinkston with worse hands.  He's a rail.  He can get deep when you give him a runway, but he really doesn't have much lateral agility to actually generate separation on much besides go-routes.  He also seems like an Agholor-esque deer in headlights when tracking deep balls too.  And since the deep ball is all he's really physically suited for, that's a huge problem.  He'll have 1-2 "told you so" 60 yard TD's per year...and he'll be a huge liability the rest of the time.

Where he should play: 1-dimensional backup Z.

5. Ward.  Not much to say here; he's already been debated to death.  If he is top 2 (or top 1, as it may be) in receptions again, the Eagles should probably be contracted into the Canadian Football League.  But their inability to get talent in the lineup in this position will continue to leave Ward deserving of targets.  He stands in the right place, runs the right routes, and has good hands.  He combines small stature with horrible movement talent, so that's why his typical role is to catch 6 yard passes on 3rd and 10.  But he'll be a safety valve in the slot if we can't find anyone better.

Where he should play: slot.

Unranked:

JJAW.  

2 minutes ago, Giddyunc said:

While I agree with the substance of your comment, let's not conflate anti-vaxers with people not getting Covid shots. There's a fundamental difference between someone refusing a polio vaccine and someone having legitimate concerns over something that is, essentially, experimental. 

That's definitely fair.  Experimental is a strong word, but there is certainly less evidence and less of a safety track record behind COVID vaccinations...to the point that I wouldn't shame someone for abstaining.

HOWEVER, anyone who chooses to abstain from the shot better not preach about their COVID risks/safety with workouts/games/etc out of the other side of their mouth.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greendestiny27 said:

Vera-Tucker will be a stud. Not saying I want him at 12. Though I really don't want to see the G-Men improving their o-line by snagging him. If we want to move back and he is the choice, I won't hate it. As long as he is slid inside to OG. I want the o-line elite and Isaac is simply not elite. 

Vera-Tucker at 12 would be worse than the Danny Watkins pick. The only path for that pick to be a success is that Vera-Tucker is a top 5 guard in the NFL for 10 years. Even then, the value is still iffy.

At that point you trade back to 15-17 b/c one of them should still be available.

And it means Horn and Surtain are off the board, then either QBs are dropping or someone else has fallen.

Eagles-Cardinals is on NFLN right now for those who hate themselves. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

As WR is the most frequently and heavily scrutinized position in Philly, I wanted to just circle back and review/debate what we have.  I usually see things very differently than most, so I expect some entertaining dissent.  In rank order of my level of interest:

1. Jalen Reagor.  I am not ashamed to say I liked this pick.  Didn't like the value, but I was happy with the pick.  His disappointing combine was sort of a harbinger of things to come, as I was very disappointed with both his game speed and production as a rookie.  He just didn't seem fast or quick and ran sluggish routes.  Just a really disappointing year.  But...I still really do like his game film from college.  He really did look like he was full speed while everyone else was in slow motion.  The Desean Jackson comps didn't seem so crazy.  I hate excuses, but perhaps his long string of injuries as a rookie did slow him down.  I am still hopeful and I still believe in his potential, for now.  He still might have that raw, rare explosion and speed talent that so many teams covet in WRs.  We'll see.  But for now, I want him to be a big part of the plans moving forward.  He just needs to do a better job getting open and getting deep.

Where he should play:  When I was really high on Reagor, I wanted him as an X.  He has a sturdy frame...and if he can move the way his college tape suggests and run all the routes, then he might be able to do more high volume damage as an X.  If you want to simplify things for him, then it would be the slot or Z.

2. Quez Watkins.  Yep.  E45 and his speed.  It's not about the 40.  I get that he's raw.  In college, he ran mostly crossing routes that were just rudimentary sprints.  He needs to learn the route tree.  He's still only 22.  He has unteachable, elite linear deep speed AND excellent short area quicks/footwork (just watch that TD against AZ where he juked 2 tackles, spun, and then outran the whole defense).  There are only so many guys in the NFL that have the sheer movement talent to make that play.  If they can teach him to run routes, there may be something to work with here.  I hope his rawness doesn't allow him to fall through the cracks with a young coaching staff that might favor safer, more polished options.

Where he should play: Seems like a prototypical Z.  Depending on where Reagor settles and what additions are made, the slot may be his best opportunity.  His quickness will serve him well there, although most slot WRs have a little bulk/physicality to them.

3. Fulgham.  You all know my opinion of Fulgham.  I truly think he's a regular season Nasty Nate deserving of his own award in his name.  I think he's just bad and never expect him to ascend to that fluke 4 game stretch again.  Best case scenario is that he's a slower Jordan Matthews.  If we do invest in more speed that lacks size at the WR position, I am interested in seeing Fulgham continue to develop as a situational physical option for certain matchups.  But we are going to have problems if they try to develop him as an every down player.

Where he should play: X/slot.

4. Hightower.  I may like speed, but sometimes fast WR's can suck too.  Hightower will be a raw, 25 year old 2nd year player when the season starts.  His deep speed is good, not rare.  His style of play resembles Todd Pinkston with worse hands.  He's a rail.  He can get deep when you give him a runway, but he really doesn't have much lateral agility to actually generate separation on much besides go-routes.  He also seems like an Agholor-esque deer in headlights when tracking deep balls too.  And since the deep ball is all he's really physically suited for, that's a huge problem.  He'll have 1-2 "told you so" 60 yard TD's per year...and he'll be a huge liability the rest of the time.

Where he should play: 1-dimensional backup Z.

5. Ward.  Not much to say here; he's already been debated to death.  If he is top 2 (or top 1, as it may be) in receptions again, the Eagles should probably be contracted into the Canadian Football League.  But their inability to get talent in the lineup in this position will continue to leave Ward deserving of targets.  He stands in the right place, runs the right routes, and has good hands.  He combines small stature with horrible movement talent, so that's why his typical role is to catch 6 yard passes on 3rd and 10.  But he'll be a safety valve in the slot if we can't find anyone better.

Where he should play: slot.

Unranked:

JJAW.  

I agree with most of this except I believe Reagor should be the Z or slot receiver and that he doesn't have the frame to be dependable at the X. Well written and thought out.

27 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Classic overthink. Don't wanna hear about the 1st round OL success rate compared to WR or CB. You don't pass up a potential star at WR or CB for a damn guard. Would be next level stupid.

13 minutes ago, Slade said:

I agree with most of this except I believe Reagor should be the Z or slot receiver and that he doesn't have the frame to be dependable at the X. Well written and thought out.

I don't think he'll ever be a dedicated X (nor should he be). I think his skillset makes him a valuable interchangeable chess piece. If he becomes a dominant WR in the league, it'll be because he's equally effective playing all the positions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

2 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Ill say this.  The nfce was the laughing stock of the NFL last year and any of those 4 teams should be ashamed to skip any opportunity to improve 

Is it even practice though?  I always thought it was just working out, doing some running, lifting weights, etc. to get guys in shape.  Is there actual coaching, scheming, game planning going on during these voluntary workouts?