EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

15 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Howie Roseman is incapable of evaluating talent to match the coaching staff's scheme.  Just because a player is good, does not mean he fits the scheme.  Howie does not understand how to find a round peg to fit in a round hole.....

Well, that's not true...

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The "guys should wear certain numbers" crowd is really gonna have an aneurysm this year.

Tom Brady is pulling his hair out as we speak.

26 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You ever think he just may not be good, and that it is a Howie Roseman problem ??  If the same guys from the previous coaching regime continue to suck, but guys like Sidney Jones, Rasul Douglass continue to look like functional NFL players in their new homes, it is not a coaching problem, it is a talent evaluation problem.  The only constant is Howie Roseman.

How many starting calibur CBs around the league were drafted in the 4th round or later

Spend minimal capital = get minimal results

11 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Would Howie draft a future QB next year if Hurts plays just average

Average for a qb who keeps their job these days (without bothering to look it up) is about 3750/25/10 with a qb rating over 90.

47 minutes ago, RLC said:

If Maddox isn't starting, cutting him to save 2M is an easy decision.

Maybe a post June 1 trade for a minimal gain 

Guest justrelax
30 minutes ago, RLC said:

If Maddox can't play well for 2 coaching staffs, at some point, it's on the player.

There was only one DC though, so he was used in one way. In my view, shorter quicker guys should almost always be used in press coverage. 

My two cents, and probably overpriced.

28 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The "guys should wear certain numbers" crowd is really gonna have an aneurysm this year.

As low as that number is on his jersey he looks like he's birthing a breached 9.

May have to have a C section to get that.

24 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

How many starting calibur CBs around the league were drafted in the 4th round or later

I'll have to find the chart, but I remember seeing that CB was the highest, or one of the highest, positions where most Pro Bowlers were drafted in the first round. It's a position you need to invest in with high, first-round draft capital if you want to get a return. 

Edit: It was top 15 paid players, not Pro Bowlers:

Just now, justrelax said:

Pretty much.

I don’t mind the addition.  If he has the ingredients and the college rep of a guy who was sticky in coverage with great fluidity and quickness...4th round pick a year ago, younger guy...certainly worth unloading a 2023 6th.  He’s probably more talented with a better chance of contributing than anyone they’d get in round 6.

18 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Average for a qb who keeps their job these days (without bothering to look it up) is about 3750/25/10 with a qb rating over 90.

Wow that's pretty spot on to what it was, the 16th qb in pass yards was Rothlisberger with just over 3800, the 16 in tds was Lamar with 26

16 in Int was Stafford and a few others with 10 and the 16th rated passer was minshew at 95.

20 years ago those are pro bowl numbers, now it's just average.

Having said that one can still win with just average play at qb.

51 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You ever think he just may not be good, and that it is a Howie Roseman problem ??  If the same guys from the previous coaching regime continue to suck, but guys like Sidney Jones, Rasul Douglass continue to look like functional NFL players in their new homes, it is not a coaching problem, it is a talent evaluation problem.  The only constant is Howie Roseman.

As others said, this makes no sense. Douglas and Jones both only played for one DC/HC in Philly so you are in correct on your statement of Howie being the only constant. 

Urban is weird.  Not saying Scott is or isn’t that guy, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a few quality talents are unloaded from that roster as Urban tries to do it his way with his guys.

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Wow that's pretty spot on to what it was, the 16th qb in pass yards was Rothlisberger with just over 3800, the 16 in tds was Lamar with 26

16 in Int was Stafford and a few others with 10 and the 16th rated passer was minshew at 95.

Having said that one can still win with just average play at qb.

That means I spend too much time on the boards 😂

2 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Maddox was ruined for having to play 3 different positions his rookie year before ultimately having to settle for the one he’s least suited for. 

I think maddox was ruined Because he can't stay healthy, the dude is made of glass, ever since he got lit up by sendejo he's been a walking injury waiting to happen 

Having said that I think the fan base over rates him, he had a impressive rookie year moving all over since then he's been hurt garbage.

Not sure how long one waits for him to show what he did as a rookie, if he doesn't soon he will be gone.

20 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I don’t mind the addition.  If he has the ingredients and the college rep of a guy who was sticky in coverage with great fluidity and quickness...4th round pick a year ago, younger guy...certainly worth unloading a 2023 6th.  He’s probably more talented with a better chance of contributing than anyone they’d get in round 6.

Cheap player for three years. Hopefully he’s good. Even if he’s just a good fourth cornerback, that’s OK too. 

Can't remember the last time we started a season in this predicament

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/5/18/22442093/nfl-odds-point-spreads-eagles-nfl-schedule-2021-philadelphia-opponents-favored-underdogs-17-games

Much has been made about the Philadelphia Eagles having the NFL’s easiest schedule based on how their 2021 opponents fared last year. Not everyone is so convinced this year’s campaign is going to be a cakewalk for the Birds, however.

In fact, if you go by early point spreads generated by Westgate Superbook, the Eagles are favored to win just TWO of their 17 games this season. A week-by-week overview:

Week 1 - Eagles at Falcons (-3.5)

Week 2 - 49ers (-4) at Eagles

Week 3 - Eagles at Cowboys (-6.5)

Week 4 - Chiefs (-8) at Eagles

Week 5 - Eagles at Panthers (-3)

Week 6 - Buccaneers (-7.5) at Eagles

Week 7 - Eagles at Raiders (-3.5)

Week 8 - Eagles (PICK) at Lions

Week 9 - Chargers (-2) at Eagles

Week 10 - Eagles at Broncos (-4.5)

Week 11 - Saints (-3.5) at Eagles

Week 12 - Eagles at Giants (-3)

Week 13 - Eagles at Jets (-1.5)

Week 14 - BYE

Week 15 - Football Team at Eagles (-1.5)

Week 16 - Giants at Eagles (-1.5)

Week 17 - Eagles at Football Team (-3)

Week 18 - Cowboys (-2.5) at Eagles

The Eagles are only favored to beat Washington and the Giants at the Linc towards the end of the season. And the Eagles are less than standard three-point home favorites in those two games! The only other tilt in which the Eagles aren’t an underdog is their Week 8 road matchup against the Lions, which is a pick ‘em.

It’s not like these lines are particularly meaningful or predictive. The Eagles could very well prove their doubters wrong. You may recall previously seeing them thrive when they’ve been counted out.

But this activity is a sobering look at how the Eagles are currently viewed. Only two teams are favored in fewer games this season: the aforementioned Lions and Houston Texans. The Eagles are keeping company with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Cincinnati Bengals at two.

If Nick Sirianni is looking for some bulletin board material, well, he has some here.

Other things of note when it comes to these point spreads:

• Around the NFC East: the Cowboys are favored in 10 games, the Giants in five, and Washington in three. Yes, just three for the reigning division champs.
  • Eagles first-round pick watch: The Colts are favored in 12 games and the Dolphins in eight.

42 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Urban is weird.  Not saying Scott is or isn’t that guy, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a few quality talents are unloaded from that roster as Urban tries to do it his way with his guys.

Yep, gotta take the wins where can get them though. Nobody is putting the "But Bill O'Brien is a psychopath" asterisk next to the Dolphins' big moves.

57 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

You're giving the Eagles too much credit.  Only two CB on the roster have been drafted by the Eagles, both in the 4th round.  The rest were UDFA and one guy who was drafted in the 6th.  

Heck, let's look at the entire defensive backfield.  The Eagles currently have 17 defensive backs.  THREE have been drafted by the Eagles.  All in the 4th round.  10 of them are have come in to the league as UDFA.  McLeod and Harris have had nice careers but to have nearly 60% of the defensive backs made up of UDFA is not very inspiring. 

The only bold move that Howie has made as of late was trading a 3rd and 5th for a 29 year old CB and giving him a monster contract...only to extend him until he's 35.  The Eagles have shown next to nothing when it comes to investing in CB and safety.  The investment the Eagles have made at CB is abysmal.  Next years draft is LOADED with top end CB talent.  If we don't come away with one of the top CB and another in the middle rounds it will be very discouraging.   

Lavert Hill                 UDFA

Michael Jaquet        UDFA

Craig James             UDFA

Avonte Maddox       4th round

Kevon Seymour       6th round

Zech McPherason   4th round

Darius Slay                2nd round   Trade 3rd/5th

Shakial Taylor           UDFA            

Grayland Arnold        UDFA

Nate Meadors           UDFA            

Josiah Scott              4th round     trade UDFA/6th

Andrew Adams        UDFA           FA Signing

Marcus Epps            6th round    PS poach

Rodney McLeod       UDFA           FA signing

Anthony Harris         UDFA           FA signing

Elijah Riley                UDFA

K'Von Wallace         4th round

56 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Keep that up for 10 years and those are HOF numbers 20 years ago.

56 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

TBH, the Jaguars have some nice talent at CB and safety. 

I would take CJ Henderson and Tyson Campbell in a heartbeat.  Heck, I'd trade our entire starting Defensive backfield for them.

Trey Herndon, Shaquill Griffin and Sidney Jones round out their top 5 CBs.

That's a VERY solid group with the potential to be pretty darn good.  Henderson and Campbell have top 5 CB duo talent.

At safety they have Rayshawn Jenkins, who again, I would take over any safety here and they drafted Andre Cisco, who if healthy is a ball hawk of a safety.

The Scott (Josiah) trade is one of those just making the better sorts of trades.  Houston likely didn't fit the Gannon mould and they brought competition for Maddox in. Sirianni's thing.

2 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

The Scott (Josiah) trade is one of those just making the better sorts of trades.  Houston likely didn't fit the Gannon mould and they brought competition for Maddox in. Sirianni's thing.

I get the point you're making.  If that's the case, trade Houston for Scott straight up, no reason to include the 6th round pick.  I joke about it but the 6th round is where Howie likes to do all of his wheeling and dealing and where he finds his starters (not that they are good starters).

At the end of the day when it comes to CB, give me the 5-11200 lb guy over the 5-9 185 lb guy.  We have one of those already.  Hope it all works out and they found something but again, it's the most minimal investment ever at an important position and one that we have next to nothing at.  

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

I get the point you're making.  If that's the case, trade Houston for Scott straight up, no reason to include the 6th round pick.  I joke about it but the 6th round is where Howie likes to do all of his wheeling and dealing and where he finds his starters (not that they are good starters).

At the end of the day when it comes to CB, give me the 5-11200 lb guy over the 5-9 185 lb guy.  We have one of those already.  Hope it all works out and they found something but again, it's the most minimal investment ever at an important position and one that we have next to nothing at.  

Siri values competition, so this moves makes sense in that Maddox is guaranteed nothing, or will move outside again. It's options across the DBs rather that a mishmash of UDFAs and street FAs no one but the roster nerds have heard of. No one wants NRC MkII do they?

Archived