EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Urban is weird.  Not saying Scott is or isn’t that guy, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a few quality talents are unloaded from that roster as Urban tries to do it his way with his guys.

That means I spend too much time on the boards 😂

Sounds a little bit like the Chipper, doesnt it?

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

So he did play better then Wentz. 

That’s saying something right there if you think CW is an above average QB like the state of the team. Hurts has a lot to clean up obviously and maybe he will

3 hours ago, Utebird said:

Wow that's pretty spot on to what it was, the 16th qb in pass yards was Rothlisberger with just over 3800, the 16 in tds was Lamar with 26

16 in Int was Stafford and a few others with 10 and the 16th rated passer was minshew at 95.

20 years ago those are pro bowl numbers, now it's just average.

Having said that one can still win with just average play at qb.

It's much easier to win with average play at QB these days, because the margin between average and elite is much narrower than it was a decade or two ago.

That is, most QBs in the top 20 or so are going to complete 60% of their passes, 7+ YPA, and at least a 2:1 TD/Int ratio.

Nowadays, it's bad play that dooms you, you can compensate average play with a plus running game (easier with a running QB) and above average defense.

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

It's much easier to win with average play at QB these days, because the margin between average and elite is much narrower than it was a decade or two ago.

That is, most QBs in the top 20 or so are going to complete 60% of their passes, 7+ YPA, and at least a 2:1 TD/Int ratio.

Nowadays, it's bad play that dooms you, you can compensate average play with a plus running game (easier with a running QB) and above average defense.

OK, then there are no excuses for Hurts, Sirianni, or Roseman.

20 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Did you drink a ton of water yesterday? That's what I did on and I had no real ill-effects. I think I actually felt a little worse after the first shot. 

Depends. 2nd Pfizer shot kicked my ass, but so did the 2nd shingles shot, b/c both triggered a West Nile Fever relapse.

Nothing major, just a miserable day yesterday with chills, aches and fatigue.

But that's better than worrying about catching one of the new variants, which are both more contagious and more deadly (b/c severity of symptoms seem to be correlated with viral load, and the new variants increase viral load). UK variant is everywhere, Brazil variant is moving in, and there may be worse on the way.

Anyone who doesn't get vaccinated is a stone cold idiot, with tens of millions shot up, the side effects are at best discomfort for a day, but getting the new COVID variants means even for younger people a low probability of death (0.1%?, but higher than last year) but also a substantial (5-10%?) of becoming a long-hauler, at best with some degree of mind fog and lung damage, at worst year(s) of misery ahead of you. The evidence is in, there is nothing to argue about. Even the WSJ is printing stories on long-term COVID effects.

8 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The nonsense you come up with astounds me.

Most QB's in the top 20 are going to complete 60% of their passes ??  The top 32 eligible passers in the NFL last year completed 60% of their passes.  Did all 32 of those teams win easily ????

8 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Hurts was drafted as a backup too.   

I am wondering if just that.  A couple of things have me debating with myself (I’m winning). First, there is the whole QB factory thing.  Last year, I think many of us looked at that as an excuse for taking a QB that high. I wonder now if that was also to diffuse attention from the possibility that they were viewing Wentz as unresponsive to direction and coaching and possibly divisive in the locker room.  Which segues to Wentz continuing to being unresponsive to instruction and coaching leading to his benching.  Add to that, the history of injury.  Maybe best case Hurts was drafted as a backup likely to see some playing time to be trained up to a trade asset and worst case a decent QB prospect with some experience sitting who was Wentz insurance against further injury or Wentz not taking instruction.  

27 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Did you drink a ton of water yesterday? That's what I did on and I had no real ill-effects. I think I actually felt a little worse after the first shot. 

I lucked out. Other than some soreness at the injection site, I was fine after both shots. The morning after the 2nd one, I started feeling the very slightest hint of a headache. I took two Tylenol and I got a Gatorade on my way to work, and I was fine. I’ll be a full two weeks past tomorrow. 

32 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yes I’m always drinking water. 

Since they got rid of mandatory camp I guess Ertz doesn’t have to show up at all

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Since they got rid of mandatory camp I guess Ertz doesn’t have to show up at all

image.jpeg.a529a483aab3e9635818822d50415128.jpeg

4 hours ago, justrelax said:

There was only one DC though, so he was used in one way. In my view, shorter quicker guys should almost always be used in press coverage. 

My two cents, and probably overpriced.

Asante was pretty good in off coverage.

Of course, he was soft, lacked deep speed, couldn't press to save his life but was great at anticipating the underneath throw.

4 hours ago, Utebird said:

Wow that's pretty spot on to what it was, the 16th qb in pass yards was Rothlisberger with just over 3800, the 16 in tds was Lamar with 26

16 in Int was Stafford and a few others with 10 and the 16th rated passer was minshew at 95.

20 years ago those are pro bowl numbers, now it's just average.

Having said that one can still win with just average play at qb.

Especially if he runs for another 600 yds but then he would be above average

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No Mandatory camp.  Yeah...why would this team feel like they need to improve?  duh

They are going to be on the field sitting Indian style in a circle, probably playing duck, duck, goose or some ish

7 hours ago, downundermike said:

Why are we always trying to corner the market on slot corners ??

Because Moore was an essential part of the Indy defense last year under Eberflus.

Kenny Moore, 5'9 190, UDFA 2017.

In three years as a "starter," 9 Int, 5.5 sacks, 181 solo tackles.

Houston was an extra camp body, so it's a 2023 6th rd pick for Scott.

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Rock Paper Scissors.  Get with it.  

That was pre draft. It’s time for them to ramp it up 

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Extremely soft.  

Didn't realize Nick had head coaching experience and this team was a well oiled machine... 

7 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Maddox makes like $2M. Does he even make the final 53?

Yes.  He showed some skill at FS.  He liked Scott’s skill set but not his size last year.  This whole slot thing because of height doesn’t make sense.  Maybe for Edelman (retired) and Colt Beasley (and Greg Ward).   Most successful slot WRs are bigger and quick. That is why I like Fulgham in the slot. Slot CBs are tasked with covering TEs and RBs too.  (So are OLBs and SSs which is why Stevens, Taylor and Wallace make sense and even Bradley, Singleton and Avery, who all ran 4.5+ forties. 

56 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Yup if hurts can be at least average they can win, question is can the defense be good enough to compensate for ave qb play???

I can't see hurts winning too many shoot outs at this point in his career.

32 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

They are going to be on the field sitting Indian style in a circle, probably playing duck, duck, goose or some ish

Cris Cross Applesauce watch it!

6 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

When they are all laid out on the same page. Yikes

I’m glad Dillard is listed at starting LT

image.gif.f3675197ddada7752c2e6d2a6936d144.gif

15 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

If Dickerson starts at LG, he's gonna end up staying there for good, like Lane at RT.

6 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I do feel as though our division attacked their weaknesses and had strong drafts. I think all the teams, besides us, will be better than last year. I have us in last pretty easily. We could barely stop the giants last year and they added Galloday, Toney, Rudolph, Booker and Barkley by default to the offense. The o-line isn't great but improved and they have some young guys who could make some jumps.  
On defense they added Azeez and EIerson Smith to rush the passer and have a really nice duo at DT in Williams who turned his career around and is 26 and Lawrence who's only 23 and they added Danny Shelton who's 27. A nice #2 CB in Jackson who we were interested in and one of the better slots in the draft in Robinson, color me impressed.

"The Team" added Samuel whom I love, Humphries who's a solid slot WR, Dyami Brown... Look at the speed on this team between McLaurin 4.35, Brown 4.4, Samuel 4.32 and Gibson 4.39 who's a bit of a freak at RB. This is looking like it could be lethal. Then they added to a stacked defense a highly touted LB in round 1, I guess their GM gets it, a CB I thought we should have looked at in round 3 territory in St. Juste, CB William Jackson in FA, just added S Bobby McCain. I'm just gonna stop because I'm getting depressed. Bottom line, the division was aggressive and made vast improvements with coaches going into their second year and I think we will be finding out the hard way this year, sadly. I'm just not seeing what a lot of folks think that the division is still straight garbage. 

On 5/16/2021 at 6:51 PM, justrelax said:

A quick word about marinades for anyone who cares. Marinades for meat that cooks quickly should, IMHO, include oil. The flavors will not really penetrate the meat but the oil will insure an even distribution of the seasonings which will then be captured in the sear. Smoked meats, OTOH, do not need the oil because they stay in the marinade longer and cook slower, so the flavors can penetrate. I don’t like salt on a slow cooked meat because it draws out moisture. On grilled meats, however, it helps form a crust that seals in moisture. As I’ve said before, I don’t marinate poultry; I think it’s a waste of time. I do mix up a herbed.butter and smear it under the skin. Butter, tarragon, thyme, salt, and minced garlic under the skin, rub with avocado oil (high smoke point), spatchcocked chicken, of course, put the cast iron pan in a 500 degree oven for twenty minutes to get it screaming hot, then put the chicken skin-side down in the pan, lay a piece of non-stick foil on it, then another cast iron pan or lid on top, turn oven down to 450, roast for 35 minutes, flip the chicken over and roast for another 5 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes. Perfect chicken, crispy skin. I do  this at least once every two weeks. Get a small chicken ~ 4 pounds or less ~ so that it fits comfortably in the pan.

Brine chicken. It’s lame without it

Marinades must contain an acid like lime juice or lemon juice to allow the seasoning in the marinade to impact the fibers of the meat. Even then it’s only superficial unless injected. 

Archived