EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

15 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Of course, but every selection already carries with it significant risk in terms of the projection to the NFL.  Adding an additional risk factor at the top of Round 2 is a bit extra.  

Sydney Jones was considered by many to be the top CB in that draft (or at worst, #2), and certainly worthy of a top 15 selection.   The Achilles knocked him out of Round 1, but the question that really remained for him was whether or not he could come back from the injury.  Selecting him, a player that could not see the field his rookie year, precipitated the trade for Ronald Darby... at the cost of a 3rd round pick the following year.  

The Jones pick and the Dickerson pick have a lot of similarities.  Jones had only the one injury, whereas Dickerson has had 4 major ones.  Jones was also a mid-round pick, whereas Dickerson was about 15 slots higher.    So, the Dickerson pick, imo, carries even higher inherit risk than the Jones pick.  Perhaps it also carries a higher upside, but Jones was supposed to be a shut-down CB... highly coveted in the NFL and normally a 'premier' position.  Dickerson is an interior OL, and rightly or wrongly, that position is generally a much lower level of priority and top level players can often be found at later portions of the draft, and not just really good players at those positions but some of the best in the NFL. 

The difference was 6 picks, not 15. And Dickerson plays a position where a slight athleticism drop-off isn't devastating like it potentially is at CB. An achilles tear is about as bad as it gets for a CB.

But I think the biggest gap between Dickerson and Jones is mental toughness. Dickerson is known to be a win at all costs type who has to be yanked off the field by the medical staff. Jones got beat deep and started grabbing his hamstring.

All that said, I still don't like the pick. Such an unnecessary risk when a starting CB (Samuel) is staring you right in the face.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Of course, but every selection already carries with it significant risk in terms of the projection to the NFL.  Adding an additional risk factor at the top of Round 2 is a bit extra.  

Sydney Jones was considered by many to be the top CB in that draft (or at worst, #2), and certainly worthy of a top 15 selection.   The Achilles knocked him out of Round 1, but the question that really remained for him was whether or not he could come back from the injury.  Selecting him, a player that could not see the field his rookie year, precipitated the trade for Ronald Darby... at the cost of a 3rd round pick the following year.  

The Jones pick and the Dickerson pick have a lot of similarities.  Jones had only the one injury, whereas Dickerson has had 4 major ones.  Jones was also a mid-round pick, whereas Dickerson was about 15 slots higher.    So, the Dickerson pick, imo, carries even higher inherit risk than the Jones pick.  Perhaps it also carries a higher upside, but Jones was supposed to be a shut-down CB... highly coveted in the NFL and normally a 'premier' position.  Dickerson is an interior OL, and rightly or wrongly, that position is generally a much lower level of priority and top level players can often be found at later portions of the draft, and not just really good players at those positions but some of the best in the NFL. 

Because of Stoutland and how much he’s gotten out of late round O linemen, I was surprised they took Dickerson so early if they want him at center. 

3 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

The difference was 6 picks, not 15. And Dickerson plays a position where a slight athleticism drop-off isn't devastating like it potentially is at CB. An achilles tear is about as bad as it gets for a CB.

But I think the biggest gap between Dickerson and Jones is mental toughness. Dickerson is known to be a win at all costs type who has to be yanked off the field by the medical staff. Jones got beat deep and started grabbing his hamstring.

All that said, I still don't like the pick. Such an unnecessary risk when a starting CB (Samuel) is staring you right in the face.

I'm not worried about a loss of athleticism.  I'm more worried about him being 'Mr. Glass'.  The most important ability is availability.

Noted regarding the pick difference.   I was thinking it was pick 53, as we have been relegated to so many times in the past.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I'm not worried about a loss of athleticism.  I'm more worried about him being 'Mr. Glass'.  The most important ability is availability.

Noted regarding the pick difference.   I was thinking it was pick 53, as we have been relegated to so many times in the past.

Sure, I agree with that. I won't trust the Eagles to have even average NFL injury "luck" until I see it happen, so I'm definitely down on the pick. Just wanted to point out significant differences between Dickerson and Jones.

Got a notification saying Kelce was meeting with the media. Thought he may be announcing his retirement. 

35 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And they’d be wrong.  He just tore his ACL in December.  No chance.  

Why?

5 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Got a notification saying Kelce was meeting with the media. Thought he may be announcing his retirement. 

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

We all understand the guy will be a Pro Bowler if he stays healthy. The issue is that he’s never stayed healthy.

Just now, ManuManu said:

I really liked him coming out.   This is a bad sign for Dillard, imho.  

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I really liked him coming out.   This is a bad sign for Dillard, imho.  

We have  A LOT of tackles heading into camp.

Lane Johnson- RT

Jordan Mailata- LT but can he become swing tackle/RT of the future

Andre Dillard- LT only 

Brett Toth- Developmental T

Casey Tucker- Camp body

Jack Driscoll- Jack of all trades, G/T

Le'Raven Clark- Swing tackle

13 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Tore his Achilles in December. I know nothing else about him or if this is just a camp body. If he sticks, that's a crowded room. 

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Lane Johnson- RT

Andre Dillard- LT only 

Casey Tucker- Camp body

Pryor also.

Plus we still have to sign JP

Kelce, man the guy is just Philly. I love him. 

Guest justrelax
7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Lane Johnson- RT - chronically injured ankle

Jordan Mailata- LT but can he become swing tackle/RT of the future - concussion

Andre Dillard- LT only - bicep

Brett Toth- Developmental T - to put it kindly

Casey Tucker- Camp body - yep

Jack Driscoll- Jack of all trades, G/T - inside guy IMHO, but maybe

Le'Raven Clark- Swing tackle - torn achilles

True, BUT.

8 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Kind of creepy quote there by BG

25 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Quoth Le'Raven, nevermore 

Just now, garingovt2000 said:

Quoth Le'Raven, nevermore 

That's so Le'Raven

27 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

we really dont seem to be as tight up against (over) the cap as @downundermike thinks. just keep signing guys.

`

6 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Lane Johnson- RT

Andre Dillard- LT only 

Casey Tucker- Camp body

I have seen Driscoll as being an inside player since the moment he was drafted, and still see that as his long term fit.   It's nice to have a player like him that can fill in at OT, but he's not an NFL OT, imo.   But, he could be a very good LG or OC, especially.  

It's a lot of bodies.  We'll see what it becomes. I don't see more than 5 of those names sticking... and 1 of them I see as an inside guy, so really only 4 OTs at most.  

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Tore his Achilles in December. I know nothing else about him or if this is just a camp body. If he sticks, that's a crowded room. 

I did not know that part.   So... then he's likely a PUP stash for the beginning of the year.

Archived