EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I just checked between my sofa cushions for some extra cap. Came away with a paper clip and some dust bunnies 

Howie is killing it. Bow down, losers. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F it, sign Brandon jacobs too. Howie loves old guys, especially on the d line. Does he have any recent injuries? 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

There were two outs... step on the freaking bag when he starts to run away from you.  How stupid can you be?!   

The run doesn't score on a force out at first... no matter when the out happens.

I watched the play...my first thought was...sticky situation.  Turn your back and go to 1st and the runner on 3rd likely scores.  

Then I realized 2 outs, which does make the whole thing moronic. 

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

I'll give the new positions/titles the benefit of the doubt hoping they are the best moves for the Eagles.  I'm 100% against identity politics and feel it's one of the main reasons for the divide in our country.  I think all of us on here can agree with any job, be it in our government, hospitals, police force, teachers professional sports and so on that the best, most qualified people are the ones who should be employed.  I don't hide my conservatism and I'll tell you the first thing I noticed about our new administrations cabinet is with 99% of them the first thing mentioned is that they are the first black, first trans, first woman, first whatever to hold the position.  It reeks of trying to be the most diverse rather than having the the most qualified and the best for our country.  

With today's Eagles announcements it feels the same way to a degree but again, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.  Soliman has been with the organization for some time.  If you watch any TC or OTA footage, you'll see her out on the field so she's putting in the work.  She's been involved in football operations since her college days.  Now is she a good scout?  Did she push for JJAW?  Was she team Hurts or team Jeremy Chinn?  This is what's important.  No, she and Raiche don't have any football playing experience but they 100%  have football experience.  Was Raiche successful as Assistant GM in Montreal?  That's what I want to know.  Apparently one of the guys is Somalian and we're supposed to applaud the Eagles for that?  Why?  We have Somalians in Congress which I think is more important than the NFL.

Besides, the Eagles already went full woke once this week.

And what's the first thing they tell you when job hunting? Use your network.

Hmm, where does that network come from? Let's see, your family, your college, your frat . . . sure that's "equal opportunity."

There are alternative avenues, such as joining the Marines (which functions as a super frat the rest of your life).

But for most top jobs, the path is through those networks which are heavily weighted to white upper middle class/wealthy people.

Or do you think "legacies" at Ivy League schools aren't "affirmative action." That Trump got into Wharton on merit?

Most people who get to invest/work at high levels in Silicon Valley startups are Stanford engineering graduates embedded in the right network.

There's a lot of evidence showing that diversity has real value to companies, not b/c of PC considerations, but because it tends to corrode "group think."

Anyone who's worked with a group of MBAs raised on the same cliches can appreciate why someone from a different background might cause the group to question the "obvious," which is obvious only because a homogeneous group took the same classes and have similar life experiences.

In the case of a NFL front office, when you're trying to judge intangibles for a diverse population of athletes, which includes a share of black Muslims, as well as people from unusual backgrounds like Mailata, it's probably valuable to have some people who didn't grow up drinking beer and watching football in suburban basements.

My friend brought up a good idea while we were golfing this evening.  Mike Missanelli was crying about the popcorn incident today saying no one should have something thrown at thiem while they are at work.  Didn't that jackass get suspended last year for throwing something at Tyrone?  

44 minutes ago, austinfan said:

And what's the first thing they tell you when job hunting? Use your network.

Hmm, where does that network come from? Let's see, your family, your college, your frat . . . sure that's "equal opportunity."

There are alternative avenues, such as joining the Marines (which functions as a super frat the rest of your life).

But for most top jobs, the path is through those networks which are heavily weighted to white upper middle class/wealthy people.

Or do you think "legacies" at Ivy League schools aren't "affirmative action." That Trump got into Wharton on merit?

Most people who get to invest/work at high levels in Silicon Valley startups are Stanford engineering graduates embedded in the right network.

There's a lot of evidence showing that diversity has real value to companies, not b/c of PC considerations, but because it tends to corrode "group think."

Anyone who's worked with a group of MBAs raised on the same cliches can appreciate why someone from a different background might cause the group to question the "obvious," which is obvious only because a homogeneous group took the same classes and have similar life experiences.

In the case of a NFL front office, when you're trying to judge intangibles for a diverse population of athletes, which includes a share of black Muslims, as well as people from unusual backgrounds like Mailata, it's probably valuable to have some people who didn't grow up drinking beer and watching football in suburban basements.

I think you missed the point that I have no problem with diversity.  However, when that's the first thing you can talk about before any qualifications then I question it.  Sadly, Biden's "network" of diverse candidate seem to be being used more for their race/sexual preference rather than their qualifications...at least that's the message that's shared when it's the lead talking point about them.

And don't go putting any words in my mouth about the Trump administration.  Believe it or not, it's possible to be a conservative and not bow down to Trump.  Some of us out there are just raised on conservative values and continue to live by them.

I feel like your post is an attack on a relatively reasonable message I was trying to share and again that's a problem.  No where did I knock Biden's administration, I merely questioned what the driving force for some of the cabinet positions were.  Another problem with politics today.  Don't agree with what someone said so you come back with snarky almost condescending reply and a post that your thoughts are better than mine rather than seeing someone else's point of view.  Rather than trying to 1-up me, try to see a different point of view.

36 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

My friend brought up a good idea while we were golfing this evening.  Mike Missanelli was crying about the popcorn incident today saying no one should have something thrown at thiem while they are at work.  Didn't that jackass get suspended last year for throwing something at Tyrone?  

How many of us have drunk lunatics watching our every move? Anyone that compares a professional athletes job to a "regular" job should immediately be dismissed from the conversation.  There are zero comparable aspects in what we do versus a professional athlete.  Mike Miss is such a huge d-bag.  Why CSN Philly decided to cut Philly Sports Talk/Daily News Live for what seems to be 4 hours of continuous Mike Miss is beyond me. 

16 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think you missed the point that I have no problem with diversity.  However, when that's the first thing you can talk about before any qualifications then I question it.  Sadly, Biden's "network" of diverse candidate seem to be being used more for their race/sexual preference rather than their qualifications...at least that's the message that's shared when it's the lead talking point about them.

And don't go putting any words in my mouth about the Trump administration.  Believe it or not, it's possible to be a conservative and not bow down to Trump.  Some of us out there are just raised on conservative values and continue to live by them.

I feel like your post is an attack on a relatively reasonable message I was trying to share and again that's a problem.  No where did I knock Biden's administration, I merely questioned what the driving force for some of the cabinet positions were.  Another problem with politics today.  Don't agree with what someone said so you come back with snarky almost condescending reply and a post that your thoughts are better than mine rather than seeing someone else's point of view.  Rather than trying to 1-up me, try to see a different point of view.

spacer.png

Cracks me up on the legacy of floyd

The guy was an absolute thug

You couldn't find a better guy to hitch your wagon to

No wonder this country is going to sh##.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

spacer.png

Oh man, when Anchorman first came out, I could not get enough of Ron Burgandy.  Easily one of my favorite movie characters. 

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

I watched the play...my first thought was...sticky situation.  Turn your back and go to 1st and the runner on 3rd likely scores.  

Then I realized 2 outs, which does make the whole thing moronic. 

Exactly... complete lack of situational awareness.  And there was no runner on third... he started on second, so there was all kinds of time to get to the bag.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t get the whole popcorn thing. It’s popcorn. It’s not wet, sticky, gooey etc. Whats the worst that’s going to happen, you brush off a rouge piece that’s on your shoulder? 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t get the whole popcorn thing. It’s popcorn. It’s not wet, sticky, gooey etc. Whats the worst that’s going to happen, you brush off a rouge piece that’s on your shoulder? 

It’s a lack of respect. Plain and simple. These fans think a ticket gives them a right to act like garbage. It’s pathetic. 

Sure, it’s not going to physically harm him, but that’s not the point. Show a little human decency. 

6 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Exactly... complete lack of situational awareness.  And there was no runner on third... he started on second, so there was all kinds of time to get to the bag.

Lack of situational awareness is too kind. A first basemen chasing someone BACK to home plate should automatically trigger a "wait, wtf am I even doing?” I’m more surprised it’s even allowed for the batter to do that without it being an automatic out.

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Lack of situational awareness is too kind. A first basemen chasing someone BACK to home plate should automatically trigger a "wait, wtf am I even doing?” I’m more surprised it’s even allowed for the batter to do that without it being an automatic out.

Oh, I am well aware... when I played, guess where I played.    Yup... first base.   First base 101, know how many outs there are.   First base 102, know where the base is.   First base 103, find the bag.

8 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It's a scumbag move.  Like Westbrook said, the dude wouldn't even think about doing that if they were out in public somewhere.  He did it because he knew Westbrook couldnt do anything to him.

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It’s a lack of respect. Plain and simple. These fans think a ticket gives them a right to act like garbage. It’s pathetic. 

Sure, it’s not going to physically harm him, but that’s not the point. Show a little human decency. 

I’m not saying it’s right, the outrage just feels forced because it happened in Philly. Players get beer showers and it’s casually mentioned, Westbrook has some popcorn and it’s the worst thing in the world. I also think it’s partially due to his overreaction. 

11 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

It's a scumbag move.  Like Westbrook said, the dude wouldn't even think about doing that if they were out in public somewhere.  He did it because he knew Westbrook couldnt do anything to him.

Laser pointers can damage eyes.

Batteries can break a bone or damage an eye.

Spit can spread communicable disease, and is just plain disgusting at best. 

Snowballs (especially icy ones) can damage an eye.

Beer bottles/soda cans can break bones.

Beverages make them wet and uncomfortable, maybe sticky as well.

Pizza sauce, hot dogs with ketchup mustard stain, and the condiments can make you sticky and uncomfortable.

Popcorn.... completely harmless in every possible way. Guarantee players say worse, more disrespectful things to each other all night on the court. Fans frequently say worse things to players that are more harmful and disrespectful than popcorn. 

It was an immature thing to do. Almost funny in the goofy childishness. But dumb, and not allowed. But the fact this this got blown up in to a huge story, and many of the reactions are absolutely ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

and I hope someone dumps popcorn on LeBron tonight.

image.gif.fccbe6615ae7e5a6ed55fb40568f6ea5.gif

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

When people say jobs should go on merit, what world do you live in? Few people get jobs or promotions based strictly on merit.

And I'm certainly not "PC," but there is hard evidence that diversity for diversity's sake actually has value.

Which doesn't mean you should hire incompetents for the sake of diversity, rather, in most cases, the difference in "merit" is so subjective that taking into account diversity, because it has intrinsic value to organizations, is rational. There are few brilliant people and few grossly incompetent people, the rest tend to get jobs due to connections, not merit, because they're basically indistinguishable ex ante (for example the school they went to was probably partially due to connections, recommendations generally aren't trustworthy, and so on). My point about Trump wasn't political, simply a well known case of buying admission to a top program.

I worked with law partners who were top quarter of their class at Harvard Law, but you could have fooled me, because they certainly weren't the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree. When you work with someone exceptional, you know immediately, the rest basically were "painting by numbers." Most people get along by going along.

41 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Laser pointers can damage eyes.

Batteries can break a bone or damage an eye.

Spit can spread communicable disease, and is just plain disgusting at best. 

Snowballs (especially icy ones) can damage an eye.

Beer bottles/soda cans can break bones.

Beverages make them wet and uncomfortable, maybe sticky as well.

Pizza sauce, hot dogs with ketchup mustard stain, and the condiments can make you sticky and uncomfortable.

Popcorn.... completely harmless in every possible way. Guarantee players say worse, more disrespectful things to each other all night on the court. Fans frequently say worse things to players that are more harmful and disrespectful than popcorn. 

It was an immature thing to do. Almost funny in the goofy childishness. But dumb, and not allowed. But the fact this this got blown up in to a huge story, and many of the reactions are absolutely ridiculous. 

If someone is dumping popcorn on you and you look up then you can probably damage an eye. Doesn't take much just to irritate your eye

20 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

If someone is dumping popcorn on you and you look up then you can probably damage an eye. Doesn't take much just to irritate your eye

This isn't mean to be a smart ass response.   When you buy a Phillies ticket do they have any small print protecting the Phillies if any injuries occur from Phanatic interactions?

Remember this lady who got hit in the eye from the Phanatic shooting hot dogs in to the stands?

https://abc7chicago.com/hot-dog-flying-struck-by-hit/3631055/

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

This isn't mean to be a smart ass response.   When you buy a Phillies ticket do they have any small print protecting the Phillies if any injuries occur from Phanatic interactions?

Remember this lady who got hit in the eye from the Phanatic shooting hot dogs in to the stands?

https://abc7chicago.com/hot-dog-flying-struck-by-hit/3631055/

image.gif.94c7c943287fbaa9a89d739575162d0c.gif

Say what you want about Tebow but geez the guy is freaking yoked up.  Clearly he's taking this serious and built his body to be a TE.   I think the Jags could be pretty exciting to watch this year.  Lawrence has some pretty decent weapons to get the ball too.  Marvin Jones and DJ Chark are very underrated and Shenault would have been a GREAT pick for the Eagles last year.  He's special.  Etienne no matter where he lines up is a threat every time he has the ball.

They have a young, fast defense front 7 and a pretty decent secondary.  People are going to joke and rag on Urban Myer but I think the Jags could really surprise. 

Archived