EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The June 1 releases will free up the money to sign the draft picks, and cover the full roster once the top 51 rule no longer applies, does not provide much roll over, if any.

So we have $17 million in space, and you just assume that will all disappear? Doesn't seem likely unless we sign a really expensive free agent..

Hargrave was already restructured and had void years added.  Any additional Hargrave restructuring would have negative 2023 impacts.

When we will have ton of cap space.

Cox has a cap number in 2022 of 23.779 million.  If you take a chunk of his base and convert it to a signing bonus, say 10 million, and spread it out over 3 years, he still has a base of 6.1 million, existing signing bonus of 6.6 million, and the new signing bonus of 3.3 million.  So you are lowering his cap number from 23.7 million to 16 million, only nets you 7 million and then you add to the void year totals already on the books for 2023 and 2024.

Most of these numbers are wrong.

Yes, you kept over 30 pro bowl players who are going to start to play like over 30 players, and they have money on the books after their contracts expire.

Signing aging pro bowlers worked out for Tampa Bay.

Trading Slay in 2022 saves 6.3 million and leaves a dead cap hit of 15.6 million.  You don't thing replacing Slay will cost at least 6 million ?? 

A draft pick?

Trading Brooks saves 3.7 million and leaves a dead cap hit of 15.7 million.  So you are gaining 10.6 million and leaving dead cap hit of 31.3 million.  Howie gonna lead the league in dead cap for the next decade.

Do I care if he leads the league in dead cap money? No, I do not. We can also release Slay and Brooks post June 1 next year and save a lot of money. I am not saying these moves will happen, but they are options.

Barnett is an obvious extension candidate, but that if probably not going to happen until after this year. 

If it happens it will be during the season and will lower his cap hit this year.  

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

What problem is that?   To expect someone in a key position of the front office to have experience and maybe have had at least played the game?   Awww.  You’re offended because I don’t think a 32 year old woman is the right fit for a VP of Football OPS in the NFL?  The problem is this team is going down the toilet.  How have I contributed to that problem?  

She was an assistant GM in the CFL.  So she has experience. I mean who knows.  I don't think she needs to have played football to know what she's doing.  I think she's the same age that Andrew Berry was when he got this role. 

58 minutes ago, RLC said:

Catherine Raiche has CFL, XFL and NFL experience in scouting. She has a law degree and a tax background (contracts). 

But to some people, she's unqualified...for *reasons*

Canadian law degrees are only worth 80% of an American one. 

5 minutes ago, greend said:

So here's the thing. If she is qualified to do that job................great. If they are doing so she can be the first female.............................then not so great

yup.   I don't care who is in charge... as long as they can do the job well.    

5 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

She was an assistant GM in the CFL.  So she has experience. I mean who knows.  I don't think she needs to have played football to know what she's doing.  I think she's the same age that Andrew Berry was when he got this role. 

Yup she's 32 Berry was 32.

Howie also never played football, nor did Banner before him.

Lots of execs in the league never played ball.

Like I mentioned before, I doubt most those in the analytics departments have ever even watched a football game😉

She also worked with the Vipers in the recent XFL

27 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I have no problem with discriminating against law degrees.

I agree

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Catherine Raiche has CFL, XFL and NFL experience in scouting. She has a law degree and a tax background (contracts). 

But to some people, she's unqualified...for *reasons*

Other than us.........................who?

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Yup she's 32 Berry was 32.

Howie also never played football, nor did Banner before him.

Lots of execs in the league never played ball.

Like I mentioned before, I doubt most those in the analytics departments have ever even watched a football game😉

She also worked with the Vipers in the recent XFL

Are you using Howie and Banner as good examples?

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

As far as Raiche, it's kind of an out of nowhere hire, but I'm willing to give anybody a chance to see what they can do. Though likely we never really find out what she does/doesn't do. Much ado about nothing. 

Great! I'll send in my resume

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

WTF is with this team and communicating with it's players?

2 minutes ago, greend said:

Great! I'll send in my resume

WTF is with this team and communicating with it's players?

Lol you can send your resume to me, but I don't have much influence (see, none at all). 

And yeah, the biggest issue with Howie seems to be an inability to communicate with players. You had the Ertz blow up last year, a lot of ex players have very negative things to say about him. Maybe they can hire somebody (Greend, it's your chance!) to just communicate between the players and the front office?

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

EMB alum.

What was his screen name on EMB?

Thanks.

Just now, greend said:

Are you using Howie and Banner as good examples?

Ive been very vocal about my dislike of both bean counters and yet both have been pretty successful.

Didn't hear too many complaints about Howie after 2017.

He's not my favorite nor was banner mostly because both their personalities rub me the wrong way, I don't know this new Lady well enough yet to like or dislike her.

2 hours ago, greend said:

So here's the thing. If she is qualified to do that job................great. If they are doing so she can be the first female.............................then not so great

I agree with your stance. And I'm not saying Catherine or Ameena are not qualified as I have no f'ing clue. But you know those "Eagles are racist, won't hire Duce, won't interview Bienemy, haven't had a black coordinator in 20 years, blah blah" probably bothered Lurie and I wouldn't be shocked if this was his reaction. 

2 hours ago, Desertbirds said:

Thanks.

@Shocker54

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Ive been very vocal about my dislike of both bean counters and yet both have been pretty successful.

Didn't hear too many complaints about Howie after 2017.

He's not my favorite nor was banner mostly because both their personalities rub me the wrong way, I don't know this new Lady well enough yet to like or dislike her.

Listen now. That said none of us know anything about Catherine and she could be great, but it could also be a rush to be the first woman at the position.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I agree with what you're stance. And I'm not saying Catherine or Ameena are not qualified as I have no f'ing clue. But you know those "Eagles are racist, won't hire Duce, won't interview Bienemy, haven't had a black coordinator in 20 years, blah blah" probably bothered Lurie and I wouldn't be shocked if this was his reaction. 

That is worrisome. 

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

That's Howie, everyone knows that.

14 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Canadian law degrees are only worth 80% of an American one. 

True but quite interesting practice all the same.   I had some Canadian oversight responsibilities and it is more like English practice than American.  Except Quebec, which is like Louisiana used to be, a strange combination of English common law and Napoleonic code.  

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

True but quite interesting practice all the same.   I had some Canadian oversight responsibilities and it is more like English practice than American.  Except Quebec, which is like Louisiana used to be, a strange combination of English common law and Napoleonic code.  

Yup. Having to learn multiple systems, in multiple languages, is a good training ground.

12 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Lol you can send your resume to me, but I don't have much influence (see, none at all). 

And yeah, the biggest issue with Howie seems to be an inability to communicate with players. You had the Ertz blow up last year, a lot of ex players have very negative things to say about him. Maybe they can hire somebody (Greend, it's your chance!) to just communicate between the players and the front office?

I would definitely do that for the right pay

5 minutes ago, greend said:

Listen now. That said none of us know anything about Catherine and she could be great, but it could also be a rush to be the first woman at the position.

Yup could be and her hiring wasn't an abnormal progression from where she was last year.

It's not like Howie found her at a bean counting convention in Canada and said hey want to help me with some football stuff.

Though that would make for a great story😁

3 minutes ago, greend said:

I would definitely do that for the right pay

How's $3.50 sound?

14 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

Thanks.

@BigEd76 would remember best.

Years ago, Bryce started his own Eagles cap website.  Was so good at it, he got a gig at Overthecap.  Then joined the Eagles a few years ago.

Now he's doing what he loves for his favorite team.  

3 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

How's $3.50 sound?

Canadian for $2.00 

Archived