EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

11 hours ago, ManuManu said:

It’s a lack of respect. Plain and simple. These fans think a ticket gives them a right to act like garbage. It’s pathetic. 

Sure, it’s not going to physically harm him, but that’s not the point. Show a little human decency. 

And isn’t there fine print on the ticket about conduct and repercussions ??

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to boo and jeer fine. Dumping stuff on people is asking for a punch in the face.

31 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

He’s doesn’t need to look like a body builder to be an NFL tight end.  He needs to look like an NFL tight end.  And at his age, he is not an NFL tight end.  It’s a ridiculous experiment.  And it takes the opportunity away from a young player who has been working at being a tight end for years.  I don’t mind Tebow.  I think he’s a good person.  But it kind of bothers me.  Step aside and let someone else fulfill their dream.  

I hear what you're saying but he's still just 33...that's a young man, albeit old in NFL standards.  If his dream is to still play a professional sport, be it baseball or TE in the NFL then so be it.  There are tons of guys with NFL dreams who have someone else in front of them.

Heck, JJAW has eaten a roster spot for 2+ years now.  Couldn't he be in the way of some other WR's dream?  Same goes for Jason Peters.  The guy was practically using a walker to go out on the field the past 2 years.  I'd be more upset about a guy in clear decline who can't let go standing in the way of young players then I would be of a guy who sees an opportunity and takes it.

In the end, he probably doesn't make it out of training camp but if he has a chance to further his career of playing professional sports which is a passion for him then go for it.  

I understand why people hate it.  We've been fed Tim Tebow on ESPN since his high school days.  I forget the show that followed him around but it's kind of like Trevor Lawrence except Tebow sucked at QB.  

30 minutes ago, greend said:

Who was it a few years ago that went after a fan up in the bleachers?  

Meta World Peace....or Ron Artest, as he used to be known. 

The bottom line is it was a stupid fan.  It wasn't some disgusting act.  A disgusting act is spitting on someone....which hasn't had anywhere NEAR the same reaction.  It's silly on so many levels.  

I know the issue here is the fan directly dumped popcorn on Westbrook but just one Google search and you'll find plenty of articles about fans throwing objects on to the field/at players, some even rank them from best to worst. 

The fan had his tickets stripped and is banned from WFC for the foreseeable future.  Westbrook survived the onslaught of buttery kernels and they may have even helped heal his injury.

All is taken care of, let's move on.  LeBron, how about you put out a hit for the guy who spit on Trae Young?

1 hour ago, purplefiggy said:

I can’t tell if this is a serious take or sarcasm...

see greend's reply.  If it's an insult to one person (Westbrook), then it should be an insult to all.  If it's just 'part of the experience', then let fun reign.   

47 minutes ago, greend said:

I'd punch that bulls mascot right in the snout

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

He’s doesn’t need to look like a body builder to be an NFL tight end.  He needs to look like an NFL tight end.  And at his age, he is not an NFL tight end.  It’s a ridiculous experiment.  And it takes the opportunity away from a young player who has been working at being a tight end for years.  I don’t mind Tebow.  I think he’s a good person.  But it kind of bothers me.  Step aside and let someone else fulfill their dream.  

So, he's not allowed to pursue his dream?

40 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And isn’t there fine print on the ticket about conduct and repercussions ??

There sure is.  

Just so you all know,  I would dump popcorn on any of your heads in person. 

And I doubt you'd actually do anything about it.  

Because it's just popcorn. 

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Top 30 That Is So Sweet GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

6 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

see greend's reply.  If it's an insult to one person (Westbrook), then it should be an insult to all.  If it's just 'part of the experience', then let fun reign.   

You don’t see a difference with intent?  It has nothing to do with popcorn. 

and I do think we are all way over sensitive about stuff. But this was just a crappy thing to have done. 

Jags hit the QB lottery with Lawrence yet 99% of the team’s stories will be Tebow. 

Maybe we can get Lawrence 2 or 3 years down the road for a 2 and 4. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

BS.  He’s not a young man when it comes to NFL standards.  The guy has been able to fulfill like 3 "lifelong dreams” by now.  Let some younger player get a shot at fulfilling his lone dream.  

I said he's a young man, albeit old in NFL standards....Again, I'd be more upset about a guy who clearly is in decline, making demands for more money because an injury causes a position switch (Jason Peters) than I would be over a guy who just wants a chance.

Just now, purplefiggy said:

You don’t see a difference with intent?  It has nothing to do with popcorn. 

and I do think we are all way over sensitive about stuff. But this was just a crappy thing to have done. 

Charles Barkley intended to spit on a racist, but instead spit on a 8 year old little girl.

If I were the one being doused in popcorn, I'm not sure I'd care about intent.  It would be irritating either way.   Point being, you can't hold the spectators to one standard of decorum with the employees and then hold the employees to a different (lower) standard, and then pretend to have some moral high ground.

But there is a difference in premeditation... the mascot employee got the popcorn, headed out into the crowd for the expressed purpose of the popcorn deluge.  I doubt this fan had that thought as he purchased the popcorn, especially considering how little was there.  So, one is premeditated (intent) and the other is a spur of the moment stupid decision.

I'm in full agreement, it was a crappy thing to be done.  It's a crappy thing to be done by the mascot even if his 'intentions' are different.   So, we are in agreement, let's not douse folks with popcorn at basketball arenas.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

At playing a position he’s never played after being out of the NFL for a few years.  It’s worse than the Jason Peters thing.  Much. 

Quite literally the only reason he's being given a chance is because Urban Meyer has a crush on him. When it was first announced, most thought it was a joke. Most still do. 

1 hour ago, UK Eagle said:

If I were a Sixers fan and I knew that the popcorn thing was as overblown as it has been, I'd group together and buy a ton of it, and have fun with it, like the above.  If you were being silly, I'd offer some to Westbrook at the team hotel and off of the bus for any game going forward. Have fun with it and mock the outrage.

Crikey, send some to their practice facility. 

It's peurile and silly, but there are worse things out there than popcorn.

^This^

I well remember Marvin Hagler and his cornermen getting showered with beer cans and bottles after he totally destroyed Alan Minter (a good world champion in his own right) over here many years ago. That was a truly dangerous situation, and an absolute disgrace to British boxing.

Hagler made light of it all immediately after the fight, but he was robbed of a proper celebration of the title he had worked so long and hard to achieve. As a result, I think he held a pretty dim view of us Brits after that, and understandably so.

What a great boxer he was, in a truly golden era of middleweights.

The Four Kings (Duran/Hagler/Leonard & Hearns) is required reading for any boxing fans who lived through that era.

15 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Which one?  The one where he pursued and failed in the NFL level a decade ago?  Or the one where he wanted to play pro baseball and took some other young players spot.  Because I can’t keep track.  It’s got nothing to do with his supposed ability or giving a kid a chance to pursue his dream.  It’s a favor.  Which is BS.  

I would counsel Tebow to move on... but there might be a little bit of a smart strategy here by the Jags.  Tebow is still beloved in FL.  And Tebow will draw a huge amount of attention, taking some of the spotlight off of Lawrence and allowing him to focus on his job and not be the media darling that every one needs to deal with.

27 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Charles Barkley intended to spit on a racist, but instead spit on a 8 year old little girl.

If I were the one being doused in popcorn, I'm not sure I'd care about intent.  It would be irritating either way.   Point being, you can't hold the spectators to one standard of decorum with the employees and then hold the employees to a different (lower) standard, and then pretend to have some moral high ground.

But there is a difference in premeditation... the mascot employee got the popcorn, headed out into the crowd for the expressed purpose of the popcorn deluge.  I doubt this fan had that thought as he purchased the popcorn, especially considering how little was there.  So, one is premeditated (intent) and the other is a spur of the moment stupid decision.

I'm in full agreement, it was a crappy thing to be done.  It's a crappy thing to be done by the mascot even if his 'intentions' are different.   So, we are in agreement, let's not douse folks with popcorn at basketball arenas.

There’s a very good chance the Bulls sent a PR person to that section to give a heads up and to get sort of a verbal OK from people over there. I’ve seen similar things at minor league games. 

38 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

You should try it sometime as an experiment.  Let me know how many times you get punched in the face. 😄

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

Meta World Peace....or Ron Artest, as he used to be known. 

That's it!

45 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

The Pacers Pistons?  Or Malice at the Palace? Funny thing about that night in 2004.  That’s the night I met my wife.  

Cool, although I do feel sorry for her. :whistle:

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

There’s a very good chance the Bulls sent a PR person to that section to give a heads up and to get sort of a verbal OK from people over there. I’ve seen similar things at minor league games. 

I would hope that they did.  But, at the same time, what is the message being sent to everyone else?   "this is funny"

47 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Well, if you like a popcorn container up your arse.....................have at er. That said it's a little different situation then when you are already "amped" up to play.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I guess.  Still weak.  

As do I.  

Best sales job I ever did was getting my wife.

40 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I guess.  Still weak.  

It's Urban Meyer.  I'm pretty sure, like most college coaches, he's 100% outside his depth in the NFL.   But, he's in Jacksonville... no one will know for a while, because no one would care.   Even with Lawrence, the Jags are an afterthought.   But, they bring in Tebow... front page national news.

Archived