EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I never thought Fort was that good.  He's solid but nothing special.

I think people were upset that they continually sent out Nate Gerry and Duke Riley to play LB when Fort might have been an better option.

Agree, though statistically speaking....Gerry's best year (2019) is better than any year Fort has put up....

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Carryover. Restructures. Trading players. Extending players currently on the roster.

Well now we are at least diving into the territory of a discussion.

Eagles currently have 3.726 in cap space, and they have to sign draft picks still.  Once the season starts the cap applied to all players, the roster, IR players etc, so not sure how we are getting any significant roll over.

Who are we going to restructure ??  We just did that, and took 73.3 million in 2022 cap space in 2022, and turned it into less than 30 million in cap space in 2022.

Please propose a player that could be traded, and then we have a tangible number to apply.

What players do you propose giving an extension to ??

I am more than willing to have a discussion, but you have to give me something to work with.  Just saying someone is wrong is not an argument in a discussion.

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

There we go @HazletonEagle    You’re crowning achievement for Howie this past year has us ranked #19!!!!   Woooo Hoo!

That’s a terrible take.  

The ranking isn't the achievement.  The purpose of sharing the article was to point out that the self appointed cap experts are slanting their posts with an anti-Howie bias and the reality of the situation is not nearly as dire.

They're already going to have cap space and set to have way more the following year.  Plus all the 1st round picks.  Hes accumulating assets quickly. Team will be good again,  soon. 

13 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Again, you need to google restricted free agents. They make the league minimum.

And you never addressed this one

• First-round tender: The greater of $4.766 million or 110 percent of the player’s 2020 salary. If the offer sheet is not matched, the original team receives the new team’s first-round selection in the upcoming draft.
  • Second-round tender: The greater of $3.384 million or 110 percent of the player’s 2020 salary. If the offer sheet is not matched, the original team receives the new team’s second-round selection in the upcoming draft.
  • Original-round tender: The greater of $2.33 million or 110 percent of the player’s 2020 salary. If the offer sheet is not matched, the original team receives a draft pick equivalent to where the player was originally selected.
  • Right of first refusal tender: $2.33 million. If the original team declines to match the offer sheet, then there is no draft pick compensation in association.

Just now, downundermike said:

Eagles currently have 3.726 in cap space, and they have to sign draft picks still.  Once the season starts the cap applied to all players, the roster, IR players etc, so not sure how we are getting any significant roll over.

What about the designated June 1 releases? Releasing/trading Ertz? $12 million you aren't counting.

Who are we going to restructure ??

We restructured Kelce and Graham this year. We will likely redo the deals of Hargrave and Cox next year. $20 million right there.

We just did that, and took 73.3 million in 2022 cap space in 2022, and turned it into less than 30 million in cap space in 2022.

And kept pro bowl players. It's not like this money just disappeared. 

Please propose a player that could be traded, and then we have a tangible number to apply.

Slay and Brooks.

Barnett.

I am more than willing to have a discussion, but you have to give me something to work with.  Just saying someone is wrong is not an argument in a discussion.

These are pretty obvious moves that the team could make between now and next year. It's not really a discussion, it's what is gong to happen. Cox, Hargrave, Slay and Brooks aren't playing at their cap numbers. That's why freaking out about the cap now is useless.  

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Who are we going to restructure ??  We just did that, and took 73.3 million in 2022 cap space in 2022, and turned it into less than 30 million in cap space in 2022.

Your 3.726M comes right off of the Overthecap site.

image.png.e997482267eab53b8ffab9591a92b978.png

Which is correct at this very moment for the top 51.  However....that top 51 or 162.7M still includes Alshon and Malik.  After June 1, both of them, and their 4M in collective base salary, will disappear and 4M of additional cap space with show up.

Also, we'll save 8.5M when Ertz goes away.  That should be plenty to cover the rookies and a full roster.

18 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

As far as Raiche, it's kind of an out of nowhere hire, but I'm willing to give anybody a chance to see what they can do. Though likely we never really find out what she does/doesn't do. Much ado about nothing. 

she has been the football operations coordinator from 2019-2021 with the eagles. They just gave her a promotion to VP of football operations. Which seems logical if she was doing a good job 

4 hours ago, austinfan said:

Howie isn't going to be in the FA market in a serious way until 2023, so he's fine for 2022.

Here’s the thing, Eagles are #6 on the waiver wire for a while.  They need cap room to take advantage.  Right now, they don’t have an ability to fully take advantage  

A lot of picks in a deep draft (and look for Howie magic on draft day) to add to a roster which will be tweaked all season.

Harder to tweak with no cap room.

We'll find out if Hurts can play, if so, a lot of people should be looking up crow recipes.

No one is pulling for Hurts to fail.  Doubts have legitimate facts supporting them   Not sure I see crow eating as necessary rather celebration on him exceeding expectations  

We'll see what tricks Sirianni has up his sleeve, especially a scheme that will use all 5 targets (RBs, WRs, TEs) and spread the ball around like vintage AR. One result is Smith probably won't put up Jefferson numbers, b/c the RBs will catch 100 passes.  Indy, 97, 70, 124 the last three seasons.  Philly 53, 77, 90, 59. Note Reich threw the ball more to RBs in Indy than Phllly, personnel or the Sirianni effect?

Personnel.  Blount and Ajayi weren’t pass catching threats and I would argue Sproles got to many opportunities to drop the ball.  As off target as Wentz was last year, we need Sanders to catch like he did as a rookie.  We need Gainwell to meet expectations   For all the grief Scott gets in here, he’s got good hands with no drops last year  The battle between Johnson and Howard May come down to hands.  At TE, Goedert needs to do better and some others need to step up.  

We'll find out how Gannon uses DBs v Schwartz. No more putting mediocre CBs on a man island with a 10 yard cushion for easy throw and catch.

While I hope this is right; have you looked at our CBs?  190# and under and six feet and under don’t suggest press corners even with a draft filled with speed munchkin receivers.  

Given that most of this is a complete unknown, let's relax about the instant judgements.

Yet your conclusions do make some rather instant judgments.  Just like the reporters I complain about presenting their take on things as facts, at this point we are all guessing. What I do like is the OTA approach Sirianni is taking.  Individual skill drills to help ferret out what players can do then design plays to exploit. 

33 minutes ago, RLC said:

Catherine Raiche has CFL, XFL and NFL experience in scouting. She has a law degree and a tax background (contracts). 

But to some people, she's unqualified...for *reasons*

I have no problem with discriminating against law degrees.

43 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Smith rounded off his route, reagor did not, also keep in mind they are going half speed.

Smith does look smoother but we already knew that.

Reagor just half assed his route

5 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

What about the designated June 1 releases? Releasing/trading Ertz? $12 million you aren't counting.

Who are we going to restructure ??

We restructured Kelce and Graham this year. We will likely redo the deals of Hargrave and Cox next year. $20 million right there.

We just did that, and took 73.3 million in 2022 cap space in 2022, and turned it into less than 30 million in cap space in 2022.

And kept pro bowl players. It's not like this money just disappeared. 

Slay and Brooks.

Barnett.

These are pretty obvious moves that the team could make between now and next year. It's not really a discussion, it's what is gong to happen. Cox, Hargrave, Slay and Brooks aren't playing at their cap numbers. That's why freaking out about the cap now is useless.  

The June 1 releases will free up the money to sign the draft picks, and cover the full roster once the top 51 rule no longer applies, does not provide much roll over, if any.

Hargrave was already restructured and had void years added.  Any additional Hargrave restructuring would have negative 2023 impacts.  Cox has a cap number in 2022 of 23.779 million.  If you take a chunk of his base and convert it to a signing bonus, say 10 million, and spread it out over 3 years, he still has a base of 6.1 million, existing signing bonus of 6.6 million, and the new signing bonus of 3.3 million.  So you are lowering his cap number from 23.7 million to 16 million, only nets you 7 million and then you add to the void year totals already on the books for 2023 and 2024.

Yes, you kept over 30 pro bowl players who are going to start to play like over 30 players, and they have money on the books after their contracts expire.

Trading Slay in 2022 saves 6.3 million and leaves a dead cap hit of 15.6 million.  You don't thing replacing Slay will cost at least 6 million ??  Trading Brooks saves 3.7 million and leaves a dead cap hit of 15.7 million.  So you are gaining 10.6 million and leaving dead cap hit of 31.3 million.  Howie gonna lead the league in dead cap for the next decade.

Barnett is an obvious extension candidate, but that if probably not going to happen until after this year.  Looking at FA DE's this year, I think Carl Lawson's contract is a good comp.  So if the Eagles re-sign Barnett next year, looking at a cap hit in the 12 to 14 million range, which takes all the Cox, Slay and Brooks savings.

4 hours ago, bpac55 said:

The problem I have isn't the fact that they cut LJ Fort.  The problem I have is they brought a LB in who showed signs of success and potential in a 3-4 defense over to a 4-3 defense and couldn't figure out how to get him on the field so they cut him.  He wasn't bad here, the Eagles didn't know how to use him.  He then signs with a new team and immediately has success in a 3-4 defense.   If LJ Fort played in a 4-3 before the Eagles signed him and then he came here and stunk, then signed somewhere else and continued to stink that's one thing.  However, we know that's not the case.

So yes, cutting a player who hasn't played a down and then getting a 4th round comp pick sounds great and all but when you look at the big picture it's one of the frustrating things over the past 4 years on how this team is being built.  

Not only does this team not value linebacker, when they do bring linebackers in they are bringing in guys who are playing out of position. 

I've posted this before but of the 10 LB on the team, 5 of them are "learning" how to play linebacker and this is coming off the heels of Nate Gerry.  

AF is going to tell me that Genard Avery tests really well to be a MLB.,  If that's the case why didn't he play MLB from the get go?  Why are the Eagles not using him as MLB?  He, along with Patrick Johnson and Joe Ostman (both DE's) are now practicing as stand up pass rush OLBs.  

Davion Taylor is fast.  Great.  He's not an NFL linebacker. 

JaCoby Stevens was a good safety at LSU but too slow for the new breed of NFL safety.  I love gambling on guys from the SEC, especially the top dogs in the SEC but to if we think Stevens is going to come in and be an impact player we are mistaken. 

Joe Bachie isn't LJ Fort, that wasn't the point I was making when I initially posted he was claimed and I'm not complaining just for the sake of it.  The issue is the Eagles process of evaluating and valuing linebacker. This is ongoing and it doesn't seem to be changing.  The Eagles don't seem to be learning.   

Odds are, Bachie is a practice squad player and that's it.  But the fact that there were teams lined up to claim him tells me there's something with him.  If we cut Shaun Bradley today, he clears waivers.  Same with TJ Edwards.  If we Avery, he might get claimed...as a DE.  I've been an Ostman supporter for years but the fact of the matter is, he's been cut how many times now and he was never claimed.

We are going down the same path at CB now too.  Keep patching the holes with UDFA and slot corners.  Minimal effort to fix areas of weakness.

Avery played MIKE in college.  He was converted, unsuccessfully to a hand in the dirt DE. Not his skill set, not P Johnson’s and not Ostman’s. So they are getting a shot at LB. But Johnson played some off ball at Tulane and Avery isn’t learning to be a LB.

If you watched college ball, you will note that a lot of box Ss play close to an NFL LB. Stevens was one of those.  And he is pretty much the same size as a lot of college LBs. 

What you know about Taylor is watching his college highlights.  Watch games.  The position he played wasn’t far off from what LSU did with Stevens.  He shows decent instincts.  Better than Singleton, a S in college converted to LB in the CFL.  And I like Singleton.  Bradley performed better than I expected.  Edwards has some of the best instincts I have seen at LB.  Wilson is okay.  Press has deemed him a starter.  I am not so sure  

The only surprise for me with the Bachie cut, besides yet another DT, was that they kept Smith over him. 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Reagor just half assed his route

I dont know about that, they're both going half speed, reagor stuck his foot and cut, and smith rounded, 

Not sure how one half asses when going half speed.

Are you suggesting reagor was going 25%🤔

Anyone drawing any conclusions about reagor or smith from a 7 sec clip of them running an unpadded drill half speed either has an axe to grind or is sniffing Adderall.

43 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Fire Howie and make her GM

Or just let her do contracts

But still... fire Howie

4 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

Anyone that buys popcorn at a sport events needs to give their head a wobble.  Take the money and burn it, it'll be easier. 😉

Having said that, Westbrook needs to stop talking ish and acting like a div, but that "injury" magically got better after the popcorn shower didn't it?  Maybe the power of popcorn healing needs to be looked into more.

There was magic spray in the popcorn.  

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

There was magic spray in the popcorn.  

Buttered popcorn does wonders for ankle sprains #istayedinaholidayinnexpresslastnight

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Buttered popcorn does wonders for ankle sprains #istayedinaholidayinnexpresslastnight

Lubricates the joint

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Lubricates the joint

A clear people trying to help people story that media got wrong. Fan trying to help lubricate Westbrook’s ankle and it got flipped turned upside down.  

9 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I dont know about that, they're both going half speed, reagor stuck his foot and cut, and smith rounded, 

Not sure how one half asses when going half speed.

Are you suggesting reagor was going 25%🤔

Anyone drawing any conclusions about reagor or smith from a 7 sec clip of them running an unpadded drill half speed either has an axe to grind or is sniffing Adderall.

You can see the difference between Reagor and Smith and what effort they are putting in.

And no ones drawing conclusions. It's commenting on what the clip showed. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

A clear people trying to help people story that media got wrong. Fan trying to help lubricate Westbrook’s ankle and it got flipped turned upside down.  

FatRealAfricanmolesnake-max-1mb.gif

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

So here's the thing. If she is qualified to do that job................great. If they are doing so she can be the first female.............................then not so great

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

You can see the difference between Reagor and Smith and what effort they are putting in.

And no ones drawing conclusions. It's commenting on what the clip showed. 

I watched the clip my opinion is smith rounded off his route.

Archived