EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It's Urban Meyer, I'm pretty sure, like most college coaches, he's 100% outside his depth in the NFL.   But, he's in Jacksonville... no one will know for a while, because no one would care.   Even with Lawrence, the Jags are an afterthought.   But, they bring in Tebow... front page national news.

I fully support people chasing their dreams, but Tebow's dream just seems to be to be in the news.  That guy needs to go away.

2 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I fully support people chasing their dreams, but Tebow's dream just seems to be to be in the news.  That guy needs to go away.

So, you only support people chasing their dreams when their dreams don't annoy you?

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

So, you only support people chasing their dreams when their dreams don't annoy you?

Just last year his dream was to be a pro ball player.  Now we find out his dream is actually to be a tight end in the NFL. 

How many chances does this guy get?  

Maybe it’s Urban Meyer who was tired of no one talking about him... 

4 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Just last year his dream was to be a pro ball player.  Now we find out his dream is actually to be a tight end in the NFL. 

Apparently, as many chances as he can get from others.   

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

For all the Dillard haters.

Again, this comes down to mental toughness and mindset.  Dillard was making excuses about switching from LT to RT was whereas Sewell is excited to take on the challenge.  Some guys step up while others sink down.

I want Dillard to be successful I just have my concerns and doubts. 

17 hours ago, Utebird said:

Jimmy Johnson

@JimmyJohnson

I understand how Russell Westbrook feels...after Philly fans threw snowballs and MORE on me after a beating by Eagles...NFL started putting up tarps over exits protecting players & coaches.

Dudes lucky it was just snowballs, could've been a couple kernels of buttered popcorn🤔

Cleveland’s dog pound was notorious for snowballs packed around D batteries thrown at Steelers.  What kills me is the lead was the popcorn story not the spitting. I mean we’re talking about popcorn. Popcorn. 

12 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Again, this comes down to mental toughness and mindset.  Dillard was making excuses about switching from LT to RT was whereas Sewell is excited to take on the challenge.  Some guys step up while others sink down.

I want Dillard to be successful I just have my concerns and doubts. 

Dillard was given a few days to figure it out and then was thrown into a live situation. It's not really the same thing. 

If it were any other player trying to make a comeback besides Tim Tebow they would most likely be getting a ton of support.  People just love to hate Tim Tebow.  

This is far-fetched but what if Calvin Johnson, at 35, decided he wanted to come back to the NFL but as a LB.  Would people support him?  Would they call him a circus and a media stunt?

I've never loved Tim Tebow but I always supported him.  I thought he played well enough to make the Eagles under Chip.  I think he can have a role in the NFL.  Reports are the Jaguars see him as  Taysum Hill kind of player.  

I've said this before but he would have made a hell of a long snapper.  

40 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It's Urban Meyer.  I'm pretty sure, like most college coaches, he's 100% outside his depth in the NFL.   But, he's in Jacksonville... no one will know for a while, because no one would care.   Even with Lawrence, the Jags are an afterthought.   But, they bring in Tebow... front page national news.

IMO, if a college coach is going to make the jump, it's going to be when he is very young (of course there are exceptions, but that's what I'd be willing to bank on as an owner).  That's when people are charismatic enough and flexible enough to adapt to a different brand of football and a different level of player ego.

Guys like Urban Meyer (and Nick Saban/Chip Kelly) have been around CFB their whole life.  It's their entire reality.  You can't ask them to win a different way.  Asking them to adapt is like drafting someone in the first round and expecting them to change positions.  Sure, maybe they can do it, but you are assuming they can re-define themselves.  

Not to mention, these guys are used to being the emperor.  The NFL is a different animal.  

Just look at Philly...the HC is more of a press secretary.  😱  

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

If it were any other player trying to make a comeback besides Tim Tebow they would most likely be getting a ton of support.  People just love to hate Tim Tebow.  

This is far-fetched but what if Calvin Johnson, at 35, decided he wanted to come back to the NFL but as a LB.  Would people support him?  Would they call him a circus and a media stunt?

I've never loved Tim Tebow but I always supported him.  I thought he played well enough to make the Eagles under Chip.  I think he can have a role in the NFL.  Reports are the Jaguars see him as  Taysum Hill kind of player.  

I've said this before but he would have made a hell of a long snapper.  

They'd support insofar as our culture now is "accepting" of people's choices. Yes, it would absolutely be a circus and media stunt if a HOF WR came back into the league after retiring and tried to switch to being a LB. It would be ridiculous. 

29 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

there's no limit to what you want to do in life and he doesn't need your ok

4 minutes ago, vaeagle2 said:

there's no limit to what you want to do in life and he doesn't need your ok

True, but at the same time he can be annoyed by it. I'm not but he can

22 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Dillard was given a few days to figure it out and then was thrown into a live situation. It's not really the same thing. 

Yup. Getting all of the off-season, training camp, etc. is much different. 

14 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I think you missed the point that I have no problem with diversity.  However, when that's the first thing you can talk about before any qualifications then I question it.  Sadly, Biden's "network" of diverse candidate seem to be being used more for their race/sexual preference rather than their qualifications...at least that's the message that's shared when it's the lead talking point about them.

And don't go putting any words in my mouth about the Trump administration.  Believe it or not, it's possible to be a conservative and not bow down to Trump.  Some of us out there are just raised on conservative values and continue to live by them.

I feel like your post is an attack on a relatively reasonable message I was trying to share and again that's a problem.  No where did I knock Biden's administration, I merely questioned what the driving force for some of the cabinet positions were.  Another problem with politics today.  Don't agree with what someone said so you come back with snarky almost condescending reply and a post that your thoughts are better than mine rather than seeing someone else's point of view.  Rather than trying to 1-up me, try to see a different point of view.

I watched the cabinet introductions.  Except Kamala, Biden didn’t introduce anyone by race, creed, religion or gender.  The media may hype on that but that is the media.   The only thing Biden said that is remotely close to what you suggested is that he wanted his administration to look like America.  So he hired highly qualified individuals and achieved diversity   Sounds like a good thing to me.  The fact the media harped on first this, first that is a shame that it took that long for that first to be appointed  

I am struggling to define conservative values nowadays. What exactly are those? 

BTW,  Soliman is a pro scout, not a college scout so the question should be did she push the Kerrigan signing or the Meador signing? The Scott trade analysis? Where did she come down on Willie Henry v Bachie? What did she see to justify the gamble on Clark, especially since he isn’t healthy?

6 minutes ago, RLC said:

Yup. Getting all of the off-season, training camp, etc. is much different. 

For sure.  I wasn't suggesting it isn't tough or anything like that.  I question his mindset.  Again, there's plenty of smoke around Dillard's desire to play the game and his passion for it.  His responses to questions about switching to RT seemed to be more of excuses.

Sewell, while yes he has a whole off-season is attacking the challenge.

I wasn't a Sewell fan in the draft for the Eagles but you can't question his competitiveness at all.  He's a nasty player.  I don't see that from Dillard.  There's still time and like I said, I want the best from Dillard.  He can make the Eagles a better team.

9 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

BTW,  Soliman is a pro scout, not a college scout so the question should be did she push the Kerrigan signing or the Meador signing? The Scott trade analysis? Where did she come down on Willie Henry v Bachie? What did she see to justify the gamble on Clark, especially since he isn’t healthy?

Thanks for clarifying that.  Either way, the point I was trying to make is let's judge her by her track record.  Like you said, what was her role in Kerrigan or any of the veteran moves.  Now, if she was the one who said let's bring in LJ Fort or Corey Nelson...well that's a different story.

I don't think this is the right place to have a conversation about my conservative values but I can tell you we aren't all the same as UK Eagle suggested.  But, one small example... I've never even touched a gun, however, I do respect the fact that people like to have them for protection, hunting, sport, collecting and such.  

37 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

For sure.  I wasn't suggesting it isn't tough or anything like that.  I question his mindset.  Again, there's plenty of smoke around Dillard's desire to play the game and his passion for it.  His responses to questions about switching to RT seemed to be more of excuses.

Sewell, while yes he has a whole off-season is attacking the challenge.

I wasn't a Sewell fan in the draft for the Eagles but you can't question his competitiveness at all.  He's a nasty player.  I don't see that from Dillard.  There's still time and like I said, I want the best from Dillard.  He can make the Eagles a better team.

So I looked up his response:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/andre-dillards-switch-left-tackle-right-tackle-trying-write-left-handed

"Think about it like this," Dillard said. "You probably write with your right hand, right? So all of a sudden, say you had to write a big essay with your left hand. Right now. That's basically it. Write with your left hand. Think about how that would feel."

Dillard, a left tackle since he was 14, will make his first lifetime start at right tackle on Sunday when the Eagles face the Seahawks at the Linc.

Dillard said he's never played right tackle in a game on any level.

"Your brain kind of acts like a muscle in this case," he said. "You do one thing one way for 10 years, like I have, then everything about you is geared toward that. You flip it, your brain's like, 'Oh heck.' But this week's been a good week of preparation."

"Anytime you go from left to right side, it's a lot harder than people think," right guard Brandon Brooks said. "Not only are you flipping all the plays completely opposite but the muscle memory, your stance, everything's completely different. I have nothing but faith in Andre Dillard. Everything he's done, busting his ass out there, all the reps, all the extra time I've seen him after practice and stuff? It's different obviously. You don't replace Lane Johnson. He's a one-of-a-kind talent, a one-of-a-kind player. But at the same time, Dillard has more than enough talent. He's more than capable of handling his own out there."

Now Dillard has had a full week of work on the right side, and he said the process of transitioning to a new position will continue up until game time as he watches film, works on his technique and talks to his teammates and coaches.

But so far?

"Smooth as can be," he said after practice Friday. "It's obviously going to be a challenge, but I'm up for it. I'm perfectly capable."

Sounds exactly like what Sewell was saying?

The fact that people are walking on eggshells and scared to admit that the Eagles have gone full blown woke is hilarious

Clearly they have ulterior motives besides getting the best qualified candidate.  Don't be naive, and dont insult the intelligence of everyone in here if youre trying to argue that identity politics didnt play a role here

The Eagles have been going down this road for a lonh time, stop pretending its not the case

Archived