EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

@BigEd76 would remember best.

Years ago, Bryce started his own Eagles cap website.  Was so good at it, he got a gig at Overthecap.  Then joined the Eagles a few years ago.

Now he's doing what he loves for his favorite team.  

Good for him. wasn't slynch or something like that was it?

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Good. 

and never has to pay for beer again

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

EMB alum.

He works only at night, and in the trees

45 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Yup she's 32 Berry was 32.

Howie also never played football, nor did Banner before him.

Lots of execs in the league never played ball.

Like I mentioned before, I doubt most those in the analytics departments have ever even watched a football game😉

She also worked with the Vipers in the recent XFL

I'm not going to hold that against her.

41 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Wow.  His mom wouldn't even trade for him.   That's rough.

41 minutes ago, greend said:

WTF is with this team and communicating with it's players?

That's what happens when George McFly is in charge.

george-mcfly-confrontations.jpg

41 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Lol you can send your resume to me, but I don't have much influence (see, none at all). 

And yeah, the biggest issue with Howie seems to be an inability to communicate with players. You had the Ertz blow up last year, a lot of ex players have very negative things to say about him. Maybe they can hire somebody (Greend, it's your chance!) to just communicate between the players and the front office?

They did.  Senior Director of Football Transactions.  ;)

39 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I agree with you're stance. And I'm not saying Catherine or Ameena are not qualified as I have no f'ing clue. But you know those "Eagles are racist, won't hire Duce, won't interview Bienemy, haven't had a black coordinator in 20 years, blah blah" probably bothered Lurie and I wouldn't be shocked if this was his reaction. 

If that's the case, then I think it's called an 'over' reaction.    I don't care who they hire, as long as they are qualified.  But, I do care if the reason someone is hired is because of their demographics, whether that's a racist only hiring old, white dudes, or ideologue proving they are woke by hiring anybody as long as they are not old, white dudes.   Just give me the best people to do the job and leave the politics and ideologies out of it.

That's not to detract from the new hires.  I hope they do well in their new jobs.  I even hope that Howie does better in his current job.  I am not actively rooting against him, but I still want him held accountable for his part in the current mess.

45 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I agree with you're stance. And I'm not saying Catherine or Ameena are not qualified as I have no f'ing clue. But you know those "Eagles are racist, won't hire Duce, won't interview Bienemy, haven't had a black coordinator in 20 years, blah blah" probably bothered Lurie and I wouldn't be shocked if this was his reaction. 

@Shocker54

Can’t wait to read the transactions by shocker54

47 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Didn't hear too many complaints about Howie after 2017.

The complaints you have heard since then are largely due to a major change in his SOP that has occurred since then.    The 2017 season was a beautiful thing, but then the overpayment of aging players, constant dealing of draft picks for underachievers, and complete and total disasters in draft picks followed.  

30 minutes ago, greend said:

Good for him. wasn't slynch or something like that was it?

No, that's Sam Lynch.  He's still on Twitter.  

32 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

How's $3.50 sound?

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The complaints you have heard since then are largely due to a major change in his SOP that has occurred since then.    The 2017 season was a beautiful thing, but then the overpayment of aging players, constant dealing of draft picks for underachievers, and complete and total disasters in draft picks followed.  

Uh, JJAW at #57? Who else? Taylor at #103?

Jury is still out on Reagor at #21 and Dillard at #22.

You obviously haven't followed the NFL draft.

46 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

@BigEd76 would remember best.

Years ago, Bryce started his own Eagles cap website.  Was so good at it, he got a gig at Overthecap.  Then joined the Eagles a few years ago.

Now he's doing what he loves for his favorite team.  

If I remember right he had a weird handle..something with a bunch of numbers in it...he was really good...definitely not an arm chair guy

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Uh, JJAW at #57?

My favorite Howie defense narrative from afan.  Expecting a 2nd round pick to look like a remotely functional NFL player means we don't know anything about the draft.

19 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Being a pool owner is soooooooo much fun.  Nothing is better than coming home from work travel to see water shooting out the side of the sand filter.  

Well you do like swimming in it though, amirite?

7 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Uh, JJAW at #57? Who else? Taylor at #103?

Jury is still out on Reagor at #21 and Dillard at #22.

You obviously haven't followed the NFL draft.

Look at his drafts over the past 5 years and tell me who is a major contributor to this team?  

Few and far between.   Last Pro Bowler, Wentz... whoops.  Had to trade him.   Last before that, Ertz in 2013.  Whoops.  About to trade him.   Last before that, Lane Johnson... in 2013.

Well, we can always just give him a pass for the Chip Kelly years.   And Reagor wasn't his fault either, that was Doug.  And JJAW was Lurie's fault.  Keep the excuses coming.  

So reading the blurbs on the Eagles front office promotions and hires, they are loaded up with masters in sports management or law degrees.   A significant mix of diversity too.   Some even have some college playing experience.   So we are looking at people that focused towards a career in sports management.  Interesting.   Not sure who were let go or moved to better positions.   

Connor Barwin is still listed as special assistant to Howie.  Maybe his role should include communicating with players like Brooks when their names are being shopped.  I do wonder if part of that was on his agent, though.  Could easily see a call to his agent as a precursor to the restructuring talks.  Something like, we have to do something to lessen Brandon’s hit on our cap.  That includes shopping him.  Hell the agent, recognizing a rebuild may have even suggested it.  I wonder if those calls can even directly be made with the player.  I come from an industry where we could not directly contact a lawyer represented person but had to go through the representative.  Could well be the same for anything like trades or contracts. 

37 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Being a pool owner is soooooooo much fun.  Nothing is better than coming home from work travel to see water shooting out the side of the sand filter.  

How are those $105 buckets of chlorine tabs going? At least thats what we are being gouged here in sw fl.  They were $45 in January, and pretty much right around that for several years.... Pool company wanted to raise my monthly service from $70 to $115... I told them to pound sand and started doing it myself. 

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

So reading the blurbs on the Eagles front office promotions and hires, they are loaded up with masters in sports management or law degrees.   A significant mix of diversity too.   Some even have some college playing experience.   So we are looking at people that focused towards a career in sports management.  Interesting.   Not sure who were let go or moved to better positions.   

Connor Barwin is still listed as special assistant to Howie.  Maybe his role should include communicating with players like Brooks when their names are being shopped.  I do wonder if part of that was on his agent, though.  Could easily see a call to his agent as a precursor to the restructuring talks.  Something like, we have to do something to lessen Brandon’s hit on our cap.  That includes shopping him.  Hell the agent, recognizing a rebuild may have even suggested it.  I wonder if those calls can even directly be made with the player.  I come from an industry where we could not directly contact a lawyer represented person but had to go through the representative.  Could well be the same for anything like trades or contracts. 

Maybe they arent talking to the players when it comes to trade possibilities due to how many of them cant stay off social media running their face holes? 

37 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

If that's the case, then I think it's called an 'over' reaction.    I don't care who they hire, as long as they are qualified.  But, I do care if the reason someone is hired is because of their demographics, whether that's a racist only hiring old, white dudes, or ideologue proving they are woke by hiring anybody as long as they are not old, white dudes.   Just give me the best people to do the job and leave the politics and ideologies out of it.

That's not to detract from the new hires.  I hope they do well in their new jobs.  I even hope that Howie does better in his current job.  I am not actively rooting against him, but I still want him held accountable for his part in the current mess.

I totally understand your point here. Howie has his share of blame that he somehow appears to have skirted around. I don't understand the how or why, other than the theory that Jeff is really the guy we should be mad at and Howie is just his puppet of sorts. I don't know how much truth there is in that and I don't think we'll ever find out. 

I do like some of the things Howie has done this offseason though, and I think he's had a "successful" 2021 so far. At what point for you, could Howie flip his reputation? Is it marred beyond any salvation? Is it ultimately the on field product that could sway you back (I mean it's the only way to really judge him I suppose)? Howie is here for this year, and I think most of us expect the team to be in the bottom half of the league (again, Howie has a big hand in this mess). So if we win, let's say 5 games this year, do you think Lurie fires him? I don't. So, does a turnaround in 2022 save him? If we're bad again in 2022, does he get a crack at 2023? I think my breaking point with Howie will be the 2022 season. If we look like the same crap that we've seen the last 2-3 years, then enough is enough. 

If Howie has us fighting for the playoffs in 2022, is that good enough? For me, it probably is. In that if there's stagnation or regression in 2023, Howie needs to go. But if he gets us back on an upward trajectory, it would be remarkable, and speak to his ability to rebuild a team (much like the post Chip era). I would have been fine with him getting canned this year, but the reality is likely that he has a free pass in 2021. So as a fan, at what point do you think he becomes a complete failure like many seem to believe him to be?

5 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

If he's saying he wasn't notified then I would guess that he expected to be notified by the team

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

How would she find out before him? He has been hurt a lot so it makes sense they would see what teams would offer. I thought his contract didn't allow him to leave or is it cheaper to trade than cut?

It is a business but Howie should have manned up and told Brooks. Especially since Brooks isn't some scrub player

8 minutes ago, What The F said:

How are those $105 buckets of chlorine tabs going? At least thats what we are being gouged here in sw fl.  They were $45 in January, and pretty much right around that for several years.... Pool company wanted to raise my monthly service from $70 to $115... I told them to pound sand and started doing it myself. 

I had a pool at my house in Raleigh 9 years ago.  The first thing I did when we moved in was pay the necessary fee and switch it from chlorine to salt water.  Best move I could have made and ended up paying for itself in the long run.  

59 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Ameena has been cutting her teeth with the Eagles.  This is a promotion not a new hire.  She has worked at Temple, at the NFL and for the Eagles for 3 years now.  She has a masters in Sports Business.  

Raiche is also a promotion.   She transitioned to football management from the practice of law and has had three football manager positions before this current promotion.

Maybe they are qualified.  As an old, white man, I always valued skill level but diversity isn’t just "wokeness” (whatever the hell that is).  It is bringing a different view to the process.  The USA report on the level of scouting Raiche did last year shows she has put in work.  That means she was working with Andy Weidl, Casey Weidl,  Anthony Patch, Max Gruder on player evaluation.  There are some of the old, white guys in senior positions.  

I would have a problem calling any of the new hires or promotions "old”.  I now define old as someone in the US Senate.   

Archived