EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

8 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

He’s been soooooo good for them.  They left a lot of runners in scoring position tonight.  Marlins were terrible.  

Yeah having McCutchen and that lowsy 1st baseman hitting 4-5 was painful.  Bryce with a leadoff double in the 5th or 6th and our 4-5 leave him stranded.  Ugh.  Hope the Phils dont make any silly trades.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anytime you can trade a bust before his value drops to the point that it's gone (Nolan Patrick), you have to do it. 

I started playing around on the 2022 mock draft sim. Evan Neal is constantly there at 6. Yeah I want to build this defense but man that would be tough to pass up. Kid is like a healthy combo of Dillard, Jordan and Landon without the injures. 

27 minutes ago, RLC said:

Anytime you can trade a bust before his value drops to the point that it's gone (Nolan Patrick), you have to do it. 

According to reports were going to include Patrick in a deal for Seth jones. So he was likely gone either way in a deal bringing back a top pairing defenseman. Still what they gave up is less concerning to me then ellis having 10 years in the league at 30 and 6 years at 6.25 mil left on his contract and the last 4 years he has missed 38,0, 20 (stoppage year), 21 (shortened season of 56 games) games. Out of 289 games he’s played 210. So under 73% of the games even though one year he didn’t miss any. in 3 of 4 years he has missed 25% of the season or more. The Flyers cannot afford for Ellis to miss a quarter or more of the season, they don’t have the luxury that Nashville had over the past couple seasons. That’s the major concern with the trade 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

According to reports were going to include Patrick in a deal for Seth jones. So he was likely gone either way in a deal bringing back a top pairing defenseman. Still what they gave up is less concerning to me then ellis having 10 years in the league at 30 and 6 years at 6.25 mil left on his contract and the last 4 years he has missed 38,0, 20 (stoppage year), 21 (shortened season of 56 games). Out of 289 games he’s played 210. So under 73% of the games. in 3 of 4 years he has missed 25% of the season or more. The Flyers cannot afford for Ellis to miss a quarter or more of the season, they don’t have the luxury that Nashville had over the past couple seasons 

C- trade, at best.  It was a desperation move, and they gave up a 24-year old defenseman with top 4 ability -- had a bad season last year (they all did) but was very good the season prior.  They included their #2 overall pick as an absolute throwaway in the deal (because NAS instantly repackaged him).  Brought in another high-priced player over 30 who, as you said, is often injured.  Guys over 30 don't usually return to being Iron men. 

If Ellis isn't a top-pair defenseman for them for 5 years it was a lousy trade; an absolute fail if Myers develops.

9 hours ago, vikas83 said:

I mean, I won’t debate who is better. But claiming the media hypes up LeBron and not Jordan...I mean come on. The media exalts Michael Jordan to a sickening level. He punches a dude in practice, and he gets called a great leader for it FFS. And he is the ultimate competitor - just don’t mention when he quit for 2 years. 

Wake me up when someone releases a 10 part mini-series designed to fluff LeBron. 

There has never been an athlete, in any sport, who has been hyped as much as MJ. 

35 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

C- trade, at best.  It was a desperation move, and they gave up a 24-year old defenseman with top 4 ability -- had a bad season last year (they all did) but was very good the season prior.  They included their #2 overall pick as an absolute throwaway in the deal (because NAS instantly repackaged him).  Brought in another high-priced player over 30 who, as you said, is often injured.  Guys over 30 don't usually return to being Iron men. 

If Ellis isn't a top-pair defenseman for them for 5 years it was a lousy trade; an absolute fail if Myers develops.

Nolan Patrick wanted out and eventually was going to try to leave at the end of this upcoming season when he became a RFA according to meltzer and myrteus. He wanted out and a fresh start elsewhere. So to me losing Patrick doesn’t bother me nearly as much as Myers. 

i like Myers but meltzer had a great write up on him at 24 years old. Went into depth about some of the problems he’s had and continues to have. He’s more of the risk for the Flyers than Patrick cause he was under control for a while and cheap and actually wanted to be here. The preds seem to do a good job of developing young defensemen so i wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes a good second pairing defenseman 

this was the Flyers plan B. Cause plan A was Seth jones who for weeks they were in on and considered the top contender for him. Once jones said he wasn’t extending regardless of where columbus traded him that went out the window. 

i wouldn’t have done the trade simply due to Ellis’ injury concerns. I think when Ellis plays he’s actually good. Problem is he missed way too much time and i don’t think at 30 that tends to get better. 

21 minutes ago, TEW said:

There has never been an athlete, in any sport, who has been hyped as much as MJ. 

Yup. It isn’t even close. 

The only thing even comparable was local - like if you lived in NYC and had to hear about how Jeter was the best player ever despite never being the best player on his own team. 

Jeter is the most overrated athlete of my lifetime of fandom. Jordan is the most hyped by MILES. 

BTW... just so that we are all clear... Jason's name is pronounced "Kelse" - one syllable.   I expect everyone to start typing it as Kelce, and pronouncing it in their heads as they read it as "Kelse".   Apparently, we have all been wrong over the last decade.

On a side note, Jason did say he prefers the pronunciation  as 'Kel-see', as that's what he's most familiar with.   Carry on.

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Now hoping the Kraken take Voracek off the unprotected list.

36 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

The only thing even comparable was local - like if you lived in NYC and had to hear about how Jeter was the best player ever despite never being the best player on his own team. 

Jeter is the most overrated athlete of my lifetime of fandom. Jordan is the most hyped by MILES. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen or will ever see an athlete who hasn’t played in nearly 20 years still have the draw and hype that Jordan does with fans across the globe. 

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

Myers is a maybe top four.  He just makes way too many mistakes with and without the puck.  Hope he figures it out.  His skating is top notch, though.  But as of today, he is a 3rd pair defenseman as top lines make him look pedestrian almost all of the time. The injuries with Ellis are a risk.  Along with the length of the contract but worth it for the next 3 years.  After that the contract/money for aging player fun begins. Patrick wanted out and the front office wanted him gone.  And Nashville immediately flipped him to Vegas.  

2 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

If Ellis is a top-pair D for 3 years, it's a win. By the time the contract ends, he'll be on pair #2 and #3. Like most contracts, you get more value at the beginning than the end. They also don't have to overpay Myers/Patrick in upcoming negotiations. Paying for potential and not getting it crushes teams.

2 hours ago, TEW said:

2 hours ago, vikas83 said:

Not sure about all time, but as far as right now, currently, its Lebron James.  No athlete receives more headlines, media attention and hype.  

34 minutes ago, RLC said:

If Ellis is a top-pair D for 3 years, it's a win. By the time the contract ends, he'll be on pair #2 and #3. Like most contracts, you get more value at the beginning than the end. They also don't have to overpay Myers/Patrick in upcoming negotiations. Paying for potential and not getting it crushes teams.

Having a bunch of 30+ players at the top of the pay scale isn’t too healthy either.  We’ll see what Ellis brings; I’ve always seen him as a 3-4 more than a #1 defenseman.  

2 hours ago, vikas83 said:

Derek Jeter is overrated? What? I'm a Yankees fan and agree that he wasn't always the best player on his team, but the guy averaged 200+ hits over the span of 20 years while averaging .310/.370. He performed almost identically in the playoffs for his career.

No, he wasn't the best player in baseball or necessarily on his team, but calling him overrated is foolish. Overhyped, maybe.

3 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Not sure about all time, but as far as right now, currently, its Lebron James.  No athlete receives more headlines, media attention and hype.  

The self-marketing and self-hype is tiresome.  I liked LeBron James until he had to do a TV special on where he was going to sign as a FA — especially with that human turd Jim Gray.  Then his televised crap from the barber shop calling himself the GOAT; the reaction from that other guy in the room was priceless.  His postgame interview after he won in CLE filled with nothing but "I” and "me” was pretty nauseating as well.

11 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Having a bunch of 30+ players at the top of the pay scale isn’t too healthy either.  We’ll see what Ellis brings; I’ve always seen him as a 3-4 more than a #1 defenseman.  

Dude is a top pairing defensemen.  If you want to take points away for injury concerns, fine.  But he is not a second pairing defensemen.

40 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

MJ was an international superstar, whose name was literally more recognizable than Jesus on a global level, back before any other country on Earth played basketball.

12 minutes ago, TEW said:

MJ was an international superstar, whose name was literally more recognizable than Jesus on a global level, back before any other country on Earth played basketball.

Very true but that is different than hype.  What you're describing is recognition and admiration.  Hype is trying to prop someone up to a higher level than maybe they are.  

9 hours ago, jwill2420 said:

Just seen Space jam 2 and let me say, no it’s not a masterpiece but dammit guys what are you expecting? The co star is Bugs Bunny. I thought it was ok for what it was there was some good jokes in it like a scene hyping up Michael Jordan for it to be Michael.B.Jordan lol. 

My Kid liked it I give it a 5 out of 10 good family fun. 

So it’s not winning the Oscar for best picture. ??

1 hour ago, RLC said:

Overpaying for past performance is just as crushing.

22 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Very true but that is different than hype.  What you're describing is recognition and admiration.  Hype is trying to prop someone up to a higher level than maybe they are.  

Yup

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

BTW... just so that we are all clear... Jason's name is pronounced "Kelse" - one syllable.   I expect everyone to start typing it as Kelce, and pronouncing it in their heads as they read it as "Kelse".   Apparently, we have all been wrong over the last decade.

On a side note, Jason did say he prefers the pronunciation  as 'Kel-see', as that's what he's most familiar with.   Carry on.

I saw that. Strange as hell that they never corrected anyone for years

On 7/17/2021 at 9:47 AM, Original Sin said:

Nothing better than being a NFL owner

down 38% from 2018 , but still printing the Benjamin’s 

How do you show a tweet like this on here? When I try to do it all it ever posts is just the URL.

Archived