2nd Eagles HC Poll and Discussion Thread

Outlaw

Eagles New HC  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want out of who is left?

• Joe Brady
    • Duce Staley
    • Eric Bienemy
    • Matt Eberflus
    • Brandon Staley
    • Brian Daboll
    • Ryan Day
    • Jerod Mayo
    • Josh McDaniels
    • Mike Kafka
    • Todd Bowles
    • Kellen Moore
    • Other (please post name)

This poll is closed to new votes

This is why Lurie needs to hire a GM who knows how to build a franchise. Pick a philosophy, strategy, scheme/style and long-term plan. Every hire and player selected would fit. And replacing anyone is plug n play into the same fit.

They keep changing what they think they need every coach and then have to change players and scouting to fit. 

Other.  I'm a bit of a masochist, so I want Roseman to coach this crap. 😬

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

A guy like Joe Brady is not going to say no to any chance at his big break. And most new HC inherit a mess to one degree or another. It's why the job is open. Unless someone retired. 

Again most HC vacancies do not have very good situations going in. 

Wentz isn’t Kenny O’Brien, or Kevin Kolb for Christ’s sake. Yes injuries count, but he was a top 7-8 QB until this season.   Wentz and Pederson both deserve blame for this season, so does Howie.  

There’s been smoke around Wentz for years, about guys not liking him, or him not taking blame for his mistakes.  

Wentz should be the starter next year, and get a shot to turn himself around on the field and in the locker room.  Then if he craps the bed, Hurts goes back in as the starter to see if he’s got it or not.    

We weren't exactly a top spot to coach after Reid left either. Doug always seemed like the consolation prize to me.

Part of me thinks Howie and Lurie stepped in to meddle because they were saddled with a guy in Doug who really is not very smart. Maybe they would each prefer NOT to meddle and just let the coach have a stronger hand in shaping the personnel and coaching games. But first they need to hire someone who isn't a rank beginner or a bonehead.

If we get McDaniels this could be a step up for us in terms of coaching hires, but I do not expect miracles from this guy. 

At this point I just want a guy with a strong resume in coaching a quality team who wins and has a strong football IQ. He fits that bill.

2 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Wentz isn’t Kenny O’Brien, or Kevin Kolb for Christ’s sake. Yes injuries count, but he was a top 7-8 QB until this season.

Uh hey new guy, I'm one of the biggest Wentz supporters here. So much so I catch alot of heat for it. 

27 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Uh hey new guy, I'm one of the biggest Wentz supporters here. So much so I catch alot of heat for it. 

Not a total newb, Just a short return from a ban when Chip Kelly was hired, but I usually trolled Rant n Rave.  I hated the Kelly hire, because college coaches for the most part have bigger egos than even Pro coaches,  Chip Kelly makes Trump look like he has an inferiority complex.   

You need a very good QB to win Super Bowls and I don’t see Meyer keeping Trevor Lawrence, he likely believes he could win with anyone, like Chip thought with Bradford.   Jerry Jones has that ego, so I don’t see the Cowboys going after Lawrence but Washington could absolutely do it, and the Eagles need to figure out quickly if Wentz or Hurts is the guy.  

Mcdaniels won’t play with QB that’s an ass, he showed Cutler the door in Denver pretty quickly, right or wrong he’ll want to do the same with Wentz.  

32 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Not a total newb, Just a short return from a ban when Chip Kelly was hired, but I usually trolled Rant n Rave.  I hated the Kelly hire, because college coaches for the most part have bigger egos than even Pro coaches,  Chip Kelly makes Trump look like he has an inferiority complex.   

You need a very good QB to win Super Bowls and I don’t see Meyer keeping Trevor Lawrence, he likely believes he could win with anyone, like Chip thought with Bradford.   Jerry Jones has that ego, so I don’t see the Cowboys going after Lawrence but Washington could absolutely do it, and the Eagles need to figure out quickly if Wentz or Hurts is the guy.  

Mcdaniels won’t play with QB that’s an ass, he showed Cutler the door in Denver pretty quickly, right or wrong he’ll want to do the same with Wentz.  

I think he's the one guy who would not only give Wentz a chance, but also know what to do with him and how to make a success out of him

3 minutes ago, JohnB said:

I think he's the one guy who would not only give Wentz a chance, but also know what to do with him and how to make a success out of him

Wentz seems like the kind of person that will absolutely loathe McDaniels. I don’t see the fit there.

1 minute ago, Thrive said:

Wentz seems like the kind of person that will absolutely loathe McDaniels. I don’t see the fit there.

Fair enough, but I say we give it a try 😃

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Cam Newton is garbage, his arm is shot. I blame Bill for not planning properly for Tom’s departure. 

Howie Roseman is not even in Belichick’s stratosphere in terms of having authority with a resume to back it up. And I feel it was more, "Josh you’re gonna inherit this team from me, one day soon. Please stay.” Three years later, Bill’s still there. 

I’m not disagreeing with you about Cam, but I’m not all that convinced McDaniels can "fix” Wentz either. Other than Brady (who was there before he even got there) a lot of those quarterbacks out of NE weren’t that good. 

21 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m not disagreeing with you about Cam, but I’m not all that convinced McDaniels can "fix” Wentz either. Other than Brady (who was there before he even got there) a lot of those quarterbacks out of NE weren’t that good. 

They made Garrapolo and Cassell a boatload of money. Lol

38 minutes ago, Thrive said:

It's not the type of coaching he wanted, but it's the type of coaching he deserves. 😎

He's not the only person in the organization that needs to be bullied into doing a better job. Howie can use the Chip Kelly treatment again, since Jeff Lurie is apparently not interested in firing him outright.

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

9-7 one: was with a playoff win. 9-7 two: their quarterback was knocked out after six plays. Then the owner meddled and forced Doug to hire new coaches and rearrange his staff and then Covid hit making it difficult for any of those new voices to find any real footing. Overall Doug is certainly culpable in his firing, but the owner and likely the GM as well meddled too deep into his coaching staff. It was a bad start to begin with considering they hired his DC before they even hired him. Overall the less they meddle the better it will be. Howie needs to focus on doing a better job drafting. 

But their only one alshon catch from having 2 superbowlz haven’t you heard?  😂 

25 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

It's not the type of coaching he wanted, but it's the type of coaching he deserves. 😎

He's not the only person in the organization that needs to be bullied into doing a better job. Howie can use the Chip Kelly treatment again, since Jeff Lurie is apparently not interested in firing him outright.

McDaniels will need to win in order to get that treatment. Another issue is that Lurie is meddling a lot more than we originally thought. Word is that he was the one that wanted JJAW. 

2 minutes ago, DBW said:

But their only one alshon catch from having 2 superbowlz haven’t you heard?  😂 

It’s gonna be a long few years... 

Hiring Josh McDaniels would be a catastrophe as far as I'm concerned.  The guy has been a joke since insisting on trading up at Denver to pick Tim Tebow in the first round - that speaks volumes about his talent judgment.  The only person I would want less for the coach would be Troy Aikman.

1 hour ago, Thrive said:

Pretty sure Wentz is smart enough to know the next coach is the last stop on the line.  There’s $128M reasons for Wentz to say "Yes, sir” to whatever coaching he gets next season.  I think everyone including Wentz knows a 2021 anything like 2020 will be his final season in Philly 

Wentz was bad because Pederson was worse than bad.  If the new coaching staff (head coach, OC, QB coach) set him up to succeed, he will return to top 10 QB level of play

Keeping Howie has really ruined any enthusiasm I would have had for this team going forward. There really is a small part of me that doesn’t mind hiring a coach who I expect to fail, just in the hopes that Howie finally goes down with the ship. 

7 hours ago, Outlaw said:

They made Garrapolo and Cassell a boatload of money. Lol

Yep, then what did they do long term after leaving? The fact that the Niners are supposedly thinking QB in the first round tells you what you need to know about Jimmy. Cassell had one good year after leaving then went to crap. 

6 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Pretty sure Wentz is smart enough to know the next coach is the last stop on the line.  There’s $128M reasons for Wentz to say "Yes, sir” to whatever coaching he gets next season.  I think everyone including Wentz knows a 2021 anything like 2020 will be his final season in Philly 

Wentz was bad because Pederson was worse than bad.  If the new coaching staff (head coach, OC, QB coach) set him up to succeed, he will return to top 10 QB level of play

We will see but I put 75% of the blame on Wentz himself. He was openly insubordinate to Doug, refusing to run the plays Doug was calling. He is the one that refuses after 5 years to work on his god awful mechanics. 

Also have to wonder how much backing he will have in the locker room. From everything we have heard, he already wasn’t the most popular guy among a portion of his teammates. The team seemingly loved playing for Doug, he WAS popular in the locker room, and now it looks like it came down to Wentz or Doug, and the organization sided with Wentz... I can see that losing Carson even more of the locker room. 

10 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

I heard former Eagles message board poster Don Corleone is on the top 3 of coaching candidates for the Eagles!

Nah, he's overqualified.

6 hours ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Hiring Josh McDaniels would be a catastrophe as far as I'm concerned.  The guy has been a joke since insisting on trading up at Denver to pick Tim Tebow in the first round - that speaks volumes about his talent judgment.  The only person I would want less for the coach would be Troy Aikman.

Eh, he also got Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker in that same draft. You hit some, you miss some. Tebow was coming off one of, if not THE, most successful college careers ever for a QB. I don’t think the Eagles can point fingers regarding first round misses 11 years ago. 

14 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yep, then what did they do long term after leaving? The fact that the Niners are supposedly thinking QB in the first round tells you what you need to know about Jimmy. Cassell had one good year after leaving then went to crap. 

They coached them both up well enough to get  2nd round trade returns for them both. Those picks became Patrick Chung for Cassell and a boatload of picks after trades for Garappolo, including Damien Harris. 

22 minutes ago, nipples said:

We will see but I put 75% of the blame on Wentz himself. He was openly insubordinate to Doug, refusing to run the plays Doug was calling. He is the one that refuses after 5 years to work on his god awful mechanics. 

Also have to wonder how much backing he will have in the locker room. From everything we have heard, he already wasn’t the most popular guy among a portion of his teammates. The team seemingly loved playing for Doug, he WAS popular in the locker room, and now it looks like it came down to Wentz or Doug, and the organization sided with Wentz... I can see that losing Carson even more of the locker room. 

Winning cures lots of ills. Losing makes them worse.

12 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Winning cures lots of ills. Losing makes them worse.

And that’s the bottom line, cause How-ie said so

Archived