2nd Eagles HC Poll and Discussion Thread

Outlaw

Eagles New HC  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want out of who is left?

• Joe Brady
    • Duce Staley
    • Eric Bienemy
    • Matt Eberflus
    • Brandon Staley
    • Brian Daboll
    • Ryan Day
    • Jerod Mayo
    • Josh McDaniels
    • Mike Kafka
    • Todd Bowles
    • Kellen Moore
    • Other (please post name)

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yes in this instance.  You can not say a Chiefs coach is better than a Colts coach based on offensive production, as the Chiefs have the best QB in football.  The Colts staff has done a better job as they have made a 39 year old and Jacoby Brissett look serviceable, with the #1 WR hurt for multiple stretches of games.

Looking at the Eagles, the QB has struggled, and in large part it is because of the coach and offensive system.

So crap quarterback play only matters when the guy isn’t named Wentz. 🤷‍♂️ Anyways I don’t see how this Colts OC who has a relationship with Rivers (a guy who has thrown for over 4000 yards in 8 consecutive seasons) has enough clout to turn our great Ginger around. 

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

That should tell you something. He may just be an awful interviewer or people realize he has very little to do considering they have the most talented players on O in the NFL. He also does not call plays. 

Doug did little as well when he was OC. Heck Andy Reid was a QB coach when he was hired. There could be something to the bad interview talk, but I don’t know. I’ve never heard anyone say he’s a bad interview. 

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

2 Cowboys coaches interviewed.  4D chess!  :rolleyes:

Howie and Jeff showing the world how much smarter they are than everyone else.

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

So crap quarterback play only matters when the guy isn’t named Wentz. 🤷‍♂️ Anyways I don’t see how this Colts OC who has a relationship with Rivers (a guy who has thrown for over 4000 yards in 8 consecutive seasons) has enough clout to turn our great Ginger around. 

You are trying to make an issue black and white when it is not, and trying to bring an unrelated situation into it.

My original statement is that saying a Chiefs coach is better than any other coach is not accurate based on how the offense performs, as the Chiefs offense has the best QB on the planet.

Question, would you hire Brian Daboll or Nathaniel Hackett to be the next coach of the Eagles given the choice ??

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You are trying to make an issue black and white when it is not, and trying to bring an unrelated situation into it.

My original statement is that saying a Chiefs coach is better than any other coach is not accurate based on how the offense performs, as the Chiefs offense has the best QB on the planet.

Question, would you hire Brian Daboll or Nathaniel Hackett to be the next coach of the Eagles given the choice ??

I would probably choose Daboll given he’s help improve Josh Allen. He seems like he can mold and build young quarterbacks who are willing to learn and looking to get better. On a side note just because Mahomes is the best quarterback on the planet doesn’t mean he was always considered that. He was picked 10th in the draft (at the time some thought that was a reach) and he wasn’t even the first quarterback selected. Heck our own GM said he went up to take Wentz because he (in his infinite wisdom) did not foresee a great quarterback in the next couple of years. People worked with Mahomes to be this good too. 

I would probably choose Daboll given he’s help improve Josh Allen. He seems like he can mold and build young quarterbacks who are willing to learn and looking to get better. 

But Green Bay's offense was better, and Aaron Rodgers led the league in TD passes.  Doesn't that make Hackett the better coach ??

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

But Green Bay's offense was better, and Aaron Rodgers led the league in TD passes.  Doesn't that make Hackett the better coach ??

Yeah if he developed Jordan Love into the starter and wasn’t working with Aaron Rodgers. For the record this doesn’t make the argument for Sirianni better. It’s only proving these guys need great established talents to be their quarterbacks for them to be effective. The Eagles don’t have that. 

Yeah if he developed Jordan Love into the starter and wasn’t working with Aaron Rodgers. For the record this doesn’t make the argument for Sirianni better. It’s only proving these guys need great established talents to be their quarterbacks for them to be effective. The Eagles don’t have that. 

Carson Wentz has proven with a good offensive coordinator he can be MVP of the league good.

Just now, downundermike said:

Carson Wentz has proven with a good offensive coordinator he can be MVP of the league good.

Carson is not an MVP first off. Secondly one season does not prove him to be good. Third Carson has a lot of flaws in his game that he needs to be coached up to fix. Many of the same flaws he had when he was a rookie. Maybe just maybe (especially when you consider the FACT they won the Super Bowl without him) the 2017 Philadelphia Eagles were just a very good football team. Stop living in 2017. It’s 2020 and I don’t care who his OC is if he’s staring at the line scared of phantom pressure he’s no good to anyone. 

Carson is not an MVP first off. Secondly one season does not prove him to be good. Third Carson has a lot of flaws in his game that he needs to be coached up to fix. Many of the same flaws he had when he was a rookie. Maybe just maybe (especially when you consider the FACT they won the Super Bowl without him) the 2017 Philadelphia Eagles were just a very good football team. Stop living in 2017. It’s 2020 and I don’t care who his OC is if he’s staring at the line scared of phantom pressure he’s no good to anyone. 

Before he was injured in the Rams game, he was the consensus MVP pick.

He has had more than one good season.  2017, MVP front runner, set Eagles single season passing TD record.  2018, set Eagles single season completion percentage record.  2019, set Eagles single season passing yards record with a practice squad WR depth chart.

Just now, downundermike said:

He has had more than one good season.  2017, MVP front runner, set Eagles single season passing TD record.  2018, set Eagles single season completion percentage record.  2019, set Eagles single season passing yards record with a practice squad WR depth chart.

Mike Vick as an Eagle was a front runner to win MVP until he wasn’t. He didn’t win it and neither did Carson. Setting the single season passing record for the Eagles isn’t even a big deal. It was barley over 4000 yards. Rivers does that yearly in his sleep. Rodgers does as well  He’s not in their class of quarterback. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Mike Vick as an Eagle was a front runner to win MVP until he wasn’t.

No he was not.  That was a narrative Eagles fans created.

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And despite all of that the sum of his wins in the post season equals grand ZERO with brutal performance downfall this year

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

No he was not.  That was a narrative Eagles fans created.

Oh you mean like saying a guy actually won an MVP he didn’t win? 😂🤣😂 Look I’m tired of going back and forth on this. This tread is about the coaches anyways. I hope you’re right. Whoever comes in I sure do hope they fix the ginger one. I mean I don’t think it’s a realistic venture, but all we can do is hope.

Oh you mean like a guy actually winning an MVP he didn’t win? 😂🤣😂 Look I’m tired of going back and forth on this. This tread is about the coaches anyways. I hope you’re right. Whoever comes in I sure do hope they fix the ginger one. I mean I don’t think it’s a realistic venture, but all we can do is hope.

Last I will say, Carson Wentz actually got MVP votes, Mike Vick did not.

And I get it, you hate the guy.  He played bad this year, but I can clearly see all the things that contributed to it. 

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Last I will say, Carson Wentz actually got MVP votes, Mike Vick did not.

And I get it, you hate the guy.  He played bad this year, but I can clearly see all the things that contributed to it. 

Wrong bud I don’t hate Carson. Not at all, and I also see everything that contributed to his demise and that includes his play. Now from here on out let’s keep this thread about the coaches. 

Their perspective:  you might only get one shot at a head coach job, you don't want to go to a dysfunctional situation so a coach like Daboll might want to ride it out and try again next year if he doesn't like the options.

On McDaniels: as time goes on, his HC stock lowers so he might be more inclined to take a HC shot when he can get it.

23 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I couldn't agree more. Not to play Lurie apologist, but given the investment in Carson and the inability to cut him or trade him for anything close to cost, your priority has to be bringing in a coach to try and push him for a year and see what level of play can be achieved. It's no accident that Carson's best year came in 2017 with Reich and Flip -- 2 guys who coached him hard. To be fair, Carson was a rookie without a 9 figure contract then -- who knows if he can be coached hard now. But Doug wanted to make Press Taylor, a guy Carson walks all over, the OC -- I think Lurie looked at that and decided that was a non-starter. Had they not given Wentz the massive deal, Doug might still be here. At this point, however, there is nothing to be gained by dumping Wentz (can't cut him, no cap savings from trading him for a mid round pick), so you have to see if a change brings back something more palatable. If Carson refuses to be coached, or can't get back to an acceptable level, you dump him next year and still have Hurts for 2 years on his rookie deal.

This is why someone like McDaniels might make some sense. 2021 is basically a year to try and recoup your investment in Wentz or figure out it is a sunk cost and move on. Doug and Press wouldn't get that answer for you. Josh might.

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Their perspective:  you might only get one shot at a head coach job, you don't want to go to a dysfunctional situation so a coach like Daboll might want to ride it out and try again next year if he doesn't like the options.

On McDaniels: as time goes on, his HC stock lowers so he might be more inclined to take a HC shot when he can get it.

There is one for the punchable face list, Florio.

3 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

I couldn't agree more. Not to play Lurie apologist, but given the investment in Carson and the inability to cut him or trade him for anything close to cost, your priority has to be bringing in a coach to try and push him for a year and see what level of play can be achieved. It's no accident that Carson's best year came in 2017 with Reich and Flip -- 2 guys who coached him hard. To be fair, Carson was a rookie without a 9 figure contract then -- who knows if he can be coached hard now. But Doug wanted to make Press Taylor, a guy Carson walks all over, the OC -- I think Lurie looked at that and decided that was a non-starter. Had they not given Wentz the massive deal, Doug might still be here. At this point, however, there is nothing to be gained by dumping Wentz (can't cut him, no cap savings from trading him for a mid round pick), so you have to see if a change brings back something more palatable. If Carson refuses to be coached, or can't get back to an acceptable level, you dump him next year and still have Hurts for 2 years on his rookie deal.

This is why someone like McDaniels might make some sense. 2021 is basically a year to try and recoup your investment in Wentz or figure out it is a sunk cost and move on. Doug and Press wouldn't get that answer for you. Josh might.

I agree with you here, and all of what you’re stating makes the Eagles job even less appealing too. Whoever comes in has to try and make Carson return to some magical season theatrics that aren’t even realistic to happen to begin with. What made Carson an MVP candidate that year was his insane numbers on third down and in the red zone. Frankly that was never sustainable. It’s not a realistic goal one can achieve. Moreover having to deal with Howie and his bad drafts combined with his bad cap work automatically puts whoever is coach on this team behind the 8 ball. The icing on the cake is the owner constantly meddling with your coaching staff. I do find it ironic how someone can praise Carson for throwing for 4000 yards one moment, and in the next moment say he had bad coaches. Whatever..... Anyways whoever comes into Philly has a lot of work to do, and an owner who seems to be firing head coaches as soon as the first losing season after a winning season. Just an overall feeling of dysfunctional management by the Eagles right now. I do not envy the next coach. On the bright side this team did win a super bowl with a coach no one wanted before so maybe there’s a chance. 

14 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I only see two types of coaches coming to Philly. The desperate retread, or a really controllable guy like Doug was. 

Three weeks ago, do you think Lurie understood the Eagles are currently a "take-it-where-you-can-get-it” location? I think this is coming as a shock to him.

4 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

Three weeks ago, do you think Lurie understood the Eagles are currently a "take-it-where-you-can-get-it” location? I think this is coming as a shock to him.

I agree. I think he thought they’d be the most appealing situation, not one of the worst. Honestly, Urban Meyer has it made down there in Jax. Trevor Lawrence plus more high picks, along with some decent young talent on both sides of the ball. 

3 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I agree. I think he thought they’d be the most appealing situation, not one of the worst. Honestly, Urban Meyer has it made down there in Jax. Trevor Lawrence plus more high picks, along with some decent young talent on both sides of the ball. 

Maybe, jaguars have been rebuilding for like 10 years now with great picks and young talent.  Meyer will bail and then say his health is failing him. He's done it enough times. It's an easy out for him. 

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Maybe, jaguars have been rebuilding for like 10 years now with great picks and young talent.  Meyer will bail and then say his health is failing him. He's done it enough times. It's an easy out for him. 

You may be right. Just saying if it was ME who was a head coach candidate looking at these openings, the Jaguars were by far the most appealing. 

Archived