2nd Eagles HC Poll and Discussion Thread

Outlaw

Eagles New HC  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want out of who is left?

• Joe Brady
    • Duce Staley
    • Eric Bienemy
    • Matt Eberflus
    • Brandon Staley
    • Brian Daboll
    • Ryan Day
    • Jerod Mayo
    • Josh McDaniels
    • Mike Kafka
    • Todd Bowles
    • Kellen Moore
    • Other (please post name)

This poll is closed to new votes

15 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Another piece pointing to additional signs that McDaniels is the lead dog in this race.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/another-sign-josh-mcdaniels-eagles-front-runner

A couple additional interesting nuggets:

Duce reportedly would have a strong staff of coordinators and coaches (which IMO he would need if hired).

There was increasing tension between Doug and Howie.

Probably because Doug as a former player and OC and current head coach he didn't want some desk jockey thinking he knew more about football.  Can't say I blame him.

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

Good chance Cox is traded (gotta get rid of players for cap purposes) and I’m betting Kelce retires. Plenty of rumblings about how he is viewed as selfish within the locker room. 

Why on earth would we want Billick?

I feel like he’s joking on a call back to old times like when Eagles fans thought we were getting Boldin, Fitzgerald, and Urlacherzzzz. Every time the Eagles had a coaching opening people cried for those two coaches. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Colts offense has been up and down since Reich joined that team. I don’t see why he’d be a good candidate. Meanwhile the Chiefs offense has consistently been in the top ten in that same span. Feels more like a move in hopes to catch some kind of lightning that isn’t really there. There is nothing about this guy that would make Wentz respect him. 

Think any of that had to do with Luck retiring, rolling with Brissett and then scraping a good year out of Rivers?

8 minutes ago, nipples said:

Why on earth would we want Billick?

LOL. He won a Super bowl. :D How about Bill Walsh? 

Just now, Outlaw said:

Think any of that had to do with Luck retiring, rolling with Brissett and then scraping a good year out of Rivers?

He’s certainly more familiar with Rivers than he is with Wentz. Both Luck and Rivers were more gifted passers than Wentz too. All I’m stating is this isn’t a smooth glove type of fit, and hiring this dude will be a mistake. 

Just now, jsdarkstar said:

LOL. He won a Super bowl. :D How about Bill Walsh? 

How about Barry Switzer?

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

He’s certainly more familiar with Rivers than he is with Wentz. Both Luck and Rivers were more gifted passers than Wentz too. All I’m stating is this isn’t a smooth glove type of fit, and hiring this dude will be a mistake. 

Who is a "smooth glove type of fit” that’s available?  You’ve been raving about how we are gonna get stuck with the worst candidate, a Howie boot licker, Duce, etc. They’re clearly doing their due diligence and you’re still complaining. 

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Colts offense has been up and down since Reich joined that team. I don’t see why he’d be a good candidate. Meanwhile the Chiefs offense has consistently been in the top ten in that same span. Feels more like a move in hopes to catch some kind of lightning that isn’t really there. There is nothing about this guy that would make Wentz respect him. 

Really ??

Colts QB's - 39 year old Phillip Rivers, Jacoby Brissett and Andrew Luck before he retired.

Chiefs QB - Patrick Mahommes.

How come there is not much discussion of Eric Bienemy?  KC offense is something to aspire to and he is their OC.

4 hours ago, nipples said:

The team seemingly loved playing for Doug, he WAS popular in the locker room, and now it looks like it came down to Wentz or Doug, and the organization sided with Wentz... I can see that losing Carson even more of the locker room. 

Not sure about that last part (organization siding with Wentz over Doug).  I still think it came down to difference in what Lurie felt was best with regard to assembling a staff and what Doug wanted to do.  I’m sure part of that relates to who would be best to get Wentz back on track, but it was more than just Wentz.  The offense as a whole (outside of Wentz’s issues) was uncreative, stagnant, and predictable.  Taylor (in much the same way as Groh was) is just too inexperienced for the role of OC.  

3 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Who is a "smooth glove type of fit” that’s available?  You’ve been raving about how we are gonna get stuck with the worst candidate, a Howie boot licker, Duce, etc. They’re clearly doing their due diligence and you’re still complaining. 

Lol have I been wrong about it? We are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel, and if they were recalling doing their due diligence there are teams that had better offenses than the Colts. At this point McDainels might be the best they can get. 

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Really ??

Colts QB's - 39 year old Phillip Rivers, Jacoby Brissett and Andrew Luck before he retired.

Chiefs QB - Patrick Mahommes.

Hmm so quarterback play matters. The Eagles have a bottom five quarterback....

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Lol have I been wrong about it? We are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel, and if they were recalling doing their due diligence there are teams that had better offenses than the Colts. At this point McDainels might be the best they can get. 

Bottom five? Someone’s feeling generous :-)

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The question was who is the top of the barrel in your opinion?

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

The question was who is the top of the barrel in your opinion?

I would have preferred they hired Saleh. I’d rather they hire a defensive coach and rebuild this defense. I know Jeff loves to "score points” but I would like to see this team rebuild this defense. The defense carried the Eagles from the late 90s to Early 2000s. The Eagles have neglected the defense for too long. Get someone who knows defensive talent, and build the defense. The biggest issue with the Eagles though is Howie Roseman. He’s a major roadblock for the Eagles hiring anyone of value. No one really wants to work under this guy and his conditions. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

I would have preferred they hired Saleh. I’d rather they hire a defensive coach and rebuild this defense. I know Jeff loves to "score points” but I would like to see this team rebuild this defense. The defense carried the Eagles from the late 90s to Early 2000s. The Eagles have neglected the defense for too long. Get someone who knows defensive talent, and build the defense. The biggest issue with the Eagles though is Howie Roseman. He’s a major roadblock for the Eagles hiring anyone of value. No one really wants to work under this guy and his conditions. 

Agreed on Howie. Disagree on a defensive coach. The name of this game is offense. That’s how the rules are now bent. It’s not the late 90’s or early 2000’s anymore. 

13 minutes ago, West_Philly said:

How come there is not much discussion of Erie Bienemy?  KC offense is something to aspire to and he is their OC.

The guy isn’t getting much of a chance from anyone and I’m not sure why really. Andy’s coaching tree has done far better in the league than Belicheat’s coaching tree.

Just now, Outlaw said:

Agreed on Howie. Disagree on a defensive coach. The name of this game is offense. That’s how the rules are now bent. It’s not the late 90’s or early 2000’s anymore. 

My point is build the talent on defense. Just cause this isn’t the 2000s doesn’t mean the defense can’t have talent or make stops. It also doesn’t prevent them from having a talented offense either so long as he hired a good OC.

16 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Exactly, and that is why we are forced to target those "bottom of the barrel" types of candidates.  The better ones either took jobs elsewhere or are staying put where they are at (Riley, Daboll, ...).  

I've been saying all along I don't really think it matters who we hire ... we aren't likely to see any success over the next 2-3 years regardless.  So I don't really care that much who the new HC will be.  When it all continues to go down the toilet over the next few years, perhaps THEN Lurie will realize Howie needs to go too and we do this all over again but the right way.  

32 minutes ago, West_Philly said:

How come there is not much discussion of Erie Bienemy?  KC offense is something to aspire to and he is their OC.

First line in the job description for Eagles head coach is to get Wentz back to playing at a top 10 level — Bienemy is a career run game coordinator and RB coach.  It’s not a fit for what the Eagles need.

Frankly, even Duce Staley would be a much more logical choice than Bienemy 

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Exactly, and that is why we are forced to target those "bottom of the barrel" types of candidates.  The better ones either took jobs elsewhere or are staying put where they are at (Riley, Daboll, ...).  

I've been saying all along I don't really think it matters who we hire ... we aren't likely to see any success over the next 2-3 years regardless.  So I don't really care that much who the new HC will be.  When it all continues to go down the toilet over the next few years, perhaps THEN Lurie will realize Howie needs to go too and we do this all over again but the right way.  

In some ways that super bowl doomed us down this path. Howie won executive of the year when Doug didn’t even win coach of the year. He got beat out by a guy he beat with a backup quarterback no less. I think they believe they won despite Doug and they believe as long as they are in control of the "collaborative effort” it doesn’t matter who the coach will be. I remember when they first hired Doug a lot of us thought the same thing back then we are thinking now. It was going to be at least a three year project. They won so fast it forced them to try and keep trying to catch that lighting in a bottle. I think the difference now though is the cap is a mess and the players are much older. I do hope this owner realizes Howie is more of the problem than he is the solution, but after that last presser Lurie gave I doubt he ever will see it. 

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Add another name to the list of "bottom of the barrel" candidates:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/19/report-eagles-interested-in-interviewing-john-fassel/

Wonder when they are going to get around to the Packers water boy.

Oh gosh....

43 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yes in this instance.  You can not say a Chiefs coach is better than a Colts coach based on offensive production, as the Chiefs have the best QB in football.  The Colts staff has done a better job as they have made a 39 year old and Jacoby Brissett look serviceable, with the #1 WR hurt for multiple stretches of games.

Looking at the Eagles, the QB has struggled, and in large part it is because of the coach and offensive system.

35 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The guy isn’t getting much of a chance from anyone and I’m not sure why really. Andy’s coaching tree has done far better in the league than Belicheat’s coaching tree.

That should tell you something. He may just be an awful interviewer or people realize he has very little to do considering they have the most talented players on O in the NFL. He also does not call plays. 

Archived