2nd Eagles HC Poll and Discussion Thread

Outlaw

Eagles New HC  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want out of who is left?

• Joe Brady
    • Duce Staley
    • Eric Bienemy
    • Matt Eberflus
    • Brandon Staley
    • Brian Daboll
    • Ryan Day
    • Jerod Mayo
    • Josh McDaniels
    • Mike Kafka
    • Todd Bowles
    • Kellen Moore
    • Other (please post name)

This poll is closed to new votes

32 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

Three weeks ago, do you think Lurie understood the Eagles are currently a "take-it-where-you-can-get-it” location? I think this is coming as a shock to him.

Well it seems like a little slap back to reality is what he needs.  

51 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I agree with you here, and all of what you’re stating makes the Eagles job even less appealing too. Whoever comes in has to try and make Carson return to some magical season theatrics that aren’t even realistic to happen to begin with. What made Carson an MVP candidate that year was his insane numbers on third down and in the red zone. Frankly that was never sustainable. It’s not a realistic goal one can achieve. Moreover having to deal with Howie and his bad drafts combined with his bad cap work automatically puts whoever is coach on this team behind the 8 ball. The icing on the cake is the owner constantly meddling with your coaching staff. I do find it ironic how someone can praise Carson for throwing for 4000 yards one moment, and in the next moment say he had bad coaches. Whatever..... Anyways whoever comes into Philly has a lot of work to do, and an owner who seems to be firing head coaches as soon as the first losing season after a winning season. Just an overall feeling of dysfunctional management by the Eagles right now. I do not envy the next coach. On the bright side this team did win a super bowl with a coach no one wanted before so maybe there’s a chance. 

To attract someone, Lurie is going to have to give a contract with 5 years and real money. The conversation has to be -- if Carson can't be fixed in 2021, I get to start over with Hurts or a draft pick in 2022 while purging the bad contracts. If I'm McDaniels, that's the only way I leave NE. Same for Brady and Carolina. That's why it's a DISASTROUS sign if they hire Duce -- means they aren't committing to a vision or a plan.

15 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

To attract someone, Lurie is going to have to give a contract with 5 years and real money. The conversation has to be -- if Carson can't be fixed in 2021, I get to start over with Hurts or a draft pick in 2022 while purging the bad contracts. If I'm McDaniels, that's the only way I leave NE. Same for Brady and Carolina. That's why it's a DISASTROUS sign if they hire Duce -- means they aren't committing to a vision or a plan.

Thing is a 5 year contract doesn't do much for the new HC. I mean sure it gives him a nice contract but there's no guarantee he sees it out. And if things go badly, perhaps not entirely their fault either, then suddenly they may find it hard to get another HC gig. I mean Doug didn't get an interview this time around. Now perhaps teams were sufficiently far enough down their respective paths? But maybe he'll struggle to get another HC role. 

Honestly it may be McDaniels at this point but I don't know why he would? He's already struggled as a HC and he would likely struggle here. That's him then probably done as an NFL HC.

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

They have no plan, they're interviewing everybody!

Scattergun approach...

Lurie: "top of my mind" to interview minority candidates

Also Lurie: interviews 2 minority candidates and 68 white candidates

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

In some ways that super bowl doomed us down this path. Howie won executive of the year when Doug didn’t even win coach of the year. He got beat out by a guy he beat with a backup quarterback no less. I think they believe they won despite Doug and they believe as long as they are in control of the "collaborative effort” it doesn’t matter who the coach will be. I remember when they first hired Doug a lot of us thought the same thing back then we are thinking now. It was going to be at least a three year project. They won so fast it forced them to try and keep trying to catch that lighting in a bottle. I think the difference now though is the cap is a mess and the players are much older. I do hope this owner realizes Howie is more of the problem than he is the solution, but after that last presser Lurie gave I doubt he ever will see it. 

Oh gosh....

I have the same opinion of the SB win. I think they thought they had all of the pieces in place for a couple more runs at it. But then teams figured out how to beat them. I don't want to take anything away from the team but I feel that year was more a fortunate series of events for a good team then an unfortunate series of events for a great team. I think they thought they had a great team and well.....the rest is history.

13 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I think it's McDaniels.  They spent 9 hours with him. Lurie referred to him by first name before the interview.    I think Lurie knows it will be a tough sell, so he is interviewing more candidates so he can say it was a thorough search to try to lessen the reaction to it. They know McDaniels won't be hired by Houston, so no fear in losing him.   I bet they will interview McDaniels again by the end of the week and then it will be finalized.

3 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I think it's McDaniels.  They spent 9 hours with him. Lurie referred to him by first name before the interview.    I think Lurie knows it will be a tough sell, so he is interviewing more candidates so he can say it was a thorough search to try to lessen the reaction to it. They know McDaniels won't be hired by Houston, so no fear in losing him.   I bet they will interview McDaniels again by the end of the week and then it will be finalized.

Surely that in itself is a bad thing though? That he knows the job is a hard sell and has to give himself as many options as possible? I mean if he knows it's a hard sell then why isn't he asking himself why that is?

57 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

You may be right. Just saying if it was ME who was a head coach candidate looking at these openings, the Jaguars were by far the most appealing. 

Which is why he’s there, I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t take Lawrence.  Shahid Khan can’t be happy he’s had to renovate the offices in Jacksonville just so Meyer can get his head through the door. 

I don't think all of these interviews show no plan. I think it's more a matter of they haven't been able to lock up the guy they want. Like the draft, you go in with a list of who you want but often need to settle for the best guy on the board. Until you lock up your pick you have to keep looking into who the next best guy may be. Makes sense to me to keep interviewing until you finally have your guy....whoever that may be.

9 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I don't think all of these interviews show no plan. I think it's more a matter of they haven't been able to lock up the guy they want. Like the draft, you go in with a list of who you want but often need to settle for the best guy on the board. Until you lock up your pick you have to keep looking into who the next best guy may be. Makes sense to me to keep interviewing until you finally have your guy....whoever that may be.

Ok that's perhaps fair... Either way it's not a good sign that they haven't been able to get the guy they want so far. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ok that's perhaps fair... Either way it's not a good sign that they haven't been able to get the guy they want so far. 

how do you know they aren't just being thorough? Just because you find a good candidate doesn't mean you just stop looking. you go through your list and pick at the end. 

1 minute ago, jblah said:

how do you know they aren't just being thorough? Just because you find a good candidate doesn't mean you just stop looking. you go through your list and pick at the end. 

If they keep adding to the list because, as was suggested, they couldn't get their top target(s) then that's a concern?

44 minutes ago, NOTW said:

What are you talking about?! Stop distracting me while I'm getting ready for my Eagles HC interview. I think it's between me, Remember the Koy and Bobby Wizdum.

28 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

This makes sense to me. Check every box, make it look robust because you know the guy you want isn't getting hired anywhere else.

24 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Surely that in itself is a bad thing though? That he knows the job is a hard sell and has to give himself as many options as possible? I mean if he knows it's a hard sell then why isn't he asking himself why that is?

The NFL is sweating bullets that the Eagles and Texans might not hire a black HC and the NFL will take a lot of heat again for no new black HCs.  The NFL just changed the interview rules to allow the Eagles and Texans to interview during the week even though Bienemy and Bowles are in the playoffs. The Eagles immediately interviewed with Bowles after the change and after they interviewed McDaniels.   Lurie has to know that he will take a lot of criticism for hiring a coach retread vs. a deserving minority candidate.  The Eagles and Texans are both going to take more heat than the other teams that got their HC already.   Lurie is going to drag this process on and then go back to McDaniels. I don't want them to hire McDaniels. 

6 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

The NFL is sweating bullets that the Eagles and Texans might not hire a black HC and the NFL will take a lot of heat again for no new black HCs.  The NFL just changed the interview rules to allow the Eagles and Texans to interview during the week even though Bienemy and Bowles are in the playoffs. The Eagles immediately interviewed with Bowles after the change and after they interviewed McDaniels.   Lurie has to know that he will take a lot of criticism for hiring a coach retread vs. a deserving minority candidate.  The Eagles and Texans are both going to take more heat than the other teams that got their HC already.   Lurie is going to drag this process on and then go back to McDaniels. I don't want them to hire McDaniels. 

I'd be shocked if the Texans don't hire Bienemy with the whole Watson debacle.  That may be the only way to please the malcontent.  Here?  I think McDaniels is the guy at the end of the day.

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

I'd be shocked if the Texans don't hire Bienemy with the whole Watson debacle.  That may be the only way to please the malcontent.  Here?  I think McDaniels is the guy at the end of the day.

If they don't hire Bienemy, they are trading Watson. I think the question is will hiring Eric be enough to repair the relationship?

8 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

No one should take heat for it. Hire the best person for the job no matter what color their skin is. Plain and Simple, anything else is just racist even hiring a minority coach to make the NFL and/or anyone else happy. 

33 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I have the same opinion of the SB win. I think they thought they had all of the pieces in place for a couple more runs at it. But then teams figured out how to beat them. I don't want to take anything away from the team but I feel that year was more a fortunate series of events for a good team then an unfortunate series of events for a great team. I think they thought they had a great team and well.....the rest is history.

I don't think teams needed to figure anything out.           The Eagles simply came back to earth after a perfect storm year, where absolutely everything that had to happen actually did.         

Suddenly, Roseman's discount signings weren't having career years, the 'Super Bowl core' he was so determined to lock up long term turned out to be a nice group of players with no real difference makers aside from maybe Cox, the QB's were no longer Supermen, and the coach wasn't the same without two key assistants who had left.             The Eagles were exposed as a better than average team that had caught lightning in a bottle for a season.

The problem here is that Lurie really believes this "collaborative" garbage works and that Roseman really is that "executive of the year" that the national media touts him as.          As long as that philosophy is in place they are going to have a hard time attracting really good candidates, and will be doing this every three years or so.

Of the realistic choices, I think McDaniels is at a point where the NE ship might be sinking and he doesn't want his HC prospects to sink with it.         I think he'd be insane to take the job, but he will if it is offered, and the Eagles might be very fortunate to get him.          None of the others do a thing for me, and I still have a feeling that it will be the old "exhaustive" search routine again when they knew it would be Duce the entire time.

13 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Oh I agree with you. If they go with a retread over a minority race coach then there is going to be uproar. Especially after Lurie spoke in his press conference last week about how he's always at the front of giving minority races an opportunity. And so... It'll be Duce. 

35 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

They needed to be planning ahead.  They knew the season was lost.  The week they benched Wentz they needed to start talking to Doug about his plans to fix the issues.  They needed to decide then if they were going forward with Doug or not.  Lurie had one meeting after the season with Doug and didn't like it, told him to come up with better answers and they had a 2nd meeting and parted ways.  This was after other teams were already into their interviews.

Due diligence is fine with the draft when you have a year to prepare, but then on draft weekend things move fast and you have to be ready to make the decision quick.

After the season when you fire a coach, you also have to move fast and know what you want, your strategy moving forward and who's your short list to interview.  They're grasping it seems, even interviewing the Cowboys special teams coach.  It looks desperate.

14 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

And that is another reason why Lurie, being the "progressive" that he is politically, will end up hiring Duce.          But I don't buy any of this "deserving" stuff - is one man more "deserving" than another because of his skin color?              

Archived