2nd Eagles HC Poll and Discussion Thread

Outlaw

Eagles New HC  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want out of who is left?

• Joe Brady
    • Duce Staley
    • Eric Bienemy
    • Matt Eberflus
    • Brandon Staley
    • Brian Daboll
    • Ryan Day
    • Jerod Mayo
    • Josh McDaniels
    • Mike Kafka
    • Todd Bowles
    • Kellen Moore
    • Other (please post name)

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Doug only had 2 seasons out of the playoffs. His first and his last. Im not convinced the Lurie and Howie should be meddling in with picking a coaches staff. Howie should be focusing on picking better players. 

3 seasons. he went 9-7, 9-7, 4-11-1. i agree that they shouldn't be meddling with picking a coaching staff but if the direction of the team isn't going the right way, its fair for them to ask how the coach is going to correct the team and offer suggestions. 

Just now, jblah said:

3 seasons. he went 9-7, 9-7, 4-11-1. i agree that they shouldn't be meddling with picking a coaching staff but if the direction of the team isn't going the right way, its fair for them to ask how the coach is going to correct the team and offer suggestions. 

9-7 one: was with a playoff win. 9-7 two: their quarterback was knocked out after six plays. Then the owner meddled and forced Doug to hire new coaches and rearrange his staff and then Covid hit making it difficult for any of those new voices to find any real footing. Overall Doug is certainly culpable in his firing, but the owner and likely the GM as well meddled too deep into his coaching staff. It was a bad start to begin with considering they hired his DC before they even hired him. Overall the less they meddle the better it will be. Howie needs to focus on doing a better job drafting. 

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

9-7 one: was with a playoff win. 9-7 two: their quarterback was knocked out after six plays. Then the owner meddled and forced Doug to hire new coaches and rearrange his staff and then Covid hit making it difficult for any of those new voices to find any real footing. Overall Doug is certainly culpable in his firing, but the owner and likely the GM as well meddled too deep into his coaching staff. It was a bad start to begin with considering they hired his DC before they even hired him. Overall the less they meddle the better it will be. Howie needs to focus on doing a better job drafting. 

This, I agree 100%

1 hour ago, jblah said:

if that was the case, why are they bringing in McDaniels? You know he isn't going to be a pushover. 

🤫

I am actually warming up to the idea of McDaniels from the remaining candidates available. I think his personality is exactly what Wentz needs if there is any hope to salvage his career in Philly.

Furthermore, I think he has enough credibility to pull off the same power play that Chip Kelly accomplished with much less to his name and usurp Howie Roseman's throne as a HC/GM (since we're apparently not interested in hiring a real one this offseason or even promoting Dorsey/Weidl to replace Roseman).

McDaniels was a member of the Patriots coaching staff during all of their 6 Super Bowl wins. That alone should give him enough clout to convince Jeff Lurie to get out of the way and let a real football mind call the shots.

I know his Broncos tenure was not great, but I think McDaniels is more likely to trust his scouts than Howie, and our scouts reportedly are suggesting good players (being overrided by Howie or Jeff) based on leaked reports. 

McDaniels would be Jeff Lurie's first re-tread hire, but that shouldn't scare him from pulling the trigger if he's the best candidate available (and willing to come here).

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Doug only had 2 seasons out of the playoffs. His first and his last. Im not convinced the Lurie and Howie should be meddling in with picking a coaches staff. Howie should be focusing on picking better players. 

No argument from me. From what I've read Doug was fired not for what he'd done, he was fired for what he wanted to do. Winning the NFC East the past few years is a little bit like the Patriots winning the AFC East, not exactly a strong division. The worm is turning in the AFC East, we'll see in the NFC East.

God we are going to get Belicheats B boy aren't we? When is everyone going to smarten up about not hiring his trash tree. 

4 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

God we are going to get Belicheats B boy aren't we? When is everyone going to smarten up about not hiring his trash tree. 

Let’s be honest. They don’t have a lot of options. It’s clear they aren’t moving on from Howie. No coach really worth his salt would want to coach in Philly. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Let’s be honest. They don’t have a lot of options. It’s clear they aren’t moving on from Howie. No coach really worth his salt would want to coach in Philly. 

I'd rather have a young up and comer who hasn't been given his chance yet over McDaniels. Not excited at all. At least a young unknown guy would bring some excitement and a chance for greatness.

7 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

The guy has zero character. How is that a leader of men? Howie and Lurie think HE is a leader? This should be fun. As soon as you put character low on your qualifications, you are in BIG trouble.

6 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

No argument from me. From what I've read Doug was fired not for what he'd done, he was fired for what he wanted to do. Winning the NFC East the past few years is a little bit like the Patriots winning the AFC East, not exactly a strong division. The worm is turning in the AFC East, we'll see in the NFC East.

For me the bigger issue is the people who didn’t like Doug’s plan are just as liable for the situation being a mess to begin with. Bad drafts, bad free agent acquisitions, and way too many undrafted free agents playing pivotal roles for this team. Where is the accountability for the people who are screwing that stuff up?

1 minute ago, Talonblood said:

The guy has zero character. How is that a leader of men? Howie and Lurie think HE is a leader? This should be fun.

Maybe he will try to talk Tebow out of Minor League Baseball to come play again. Hopefully Belicheat says "down boy" at the last minute like what happened with Indy. 

Just now, Uscg-green said:

I'd rather have a young up and comer who hasn't been given his chance yet over McDaniels. Not excited at all. At least a young unknown guy would bring some excitement and a chance for greatness.

I don’t see any young guy who would want to do that. Consider for a moment that’s exactly what McDaniels was when he went to Denver. He was out of his depths when he did that. People learned from those mistakes. McDaniels is probably the biggest name this organization could get. The Eagles situation isn’t desirable. No cap space, bad GM, meddlesome owner, and a major questions at the quarterback position. 

3 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

The guy has zero character. How is that a leader of men? Howie and Lurie think HE is a leader? This should be fun. As soon as you put character low on your qualifications, you are in BIG trouble.

Who with any salt would want this job? It’s not a very good situation. 

don’t see any young guy who would want to do that.

A guy like Joe Brady is not going to say no to any chance at his big break. And most new HC inherit a mess to one degree or another. It's why the job is open. Unless someone retired. 

Again most HC vacancies do not have very good situations going in. 

6 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

A guy like Joe Brady is not going to say no to any chance at his big break. And most new HC inherit a mess to one degree or another. It's why the job is open. Unless someone retired. 

Most situations aren’t this bad. No cap space. It will be hard for McDaniels to bring in some guys he likes from the Patriots to help. Bad GM who often does his own thing rather than listen to the coaches. Meddlesome owner willing to fire your assistant coaches. Bad quarterback situation where if he comes back next year the Eagles are basically stuck here for two years. The Eagles made a lot of interviews and I’m sure most of the guys weren’t down with this complete combination of suck. I get your frustrations, but I expected something along these lines from the moment they fired Doug.

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Very true.

8 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

And Brady would be exactly what everyone says they don’t want...a kowtowing yes man who is just so grateful to get a job that he will bend the knee to Howie and Carson. The main issue here is that Howie should have been gone with Doug but he must have proof that Lurie’s wife is a Chinese spy. 

8 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

And Brady would be exactly what everyone says they don’t want...a kowtowing yes man who is just so grateful to get a job that he will bend the knee to Howie and Carson. The main issue here is that Howie should have been gone with Doug but he must have proof that Lurie’s wife is a Chinese spy. 

If nothing else McDaniels is a guy the Eagles can peddle off as a guy with great experience with developing quarterbacks. They will falsely cite Brady and mention Jimmy G as well. Ignore the quite mediocre offense shown by them this year though. So even though he wasn’t able to do much for Cam Newton’s career they can try and play him of as a guy who can "fix” Carson or a guy who can develop Hurts. Heck I wouldn’t even be surprised if someone praised him for finding a way to get Teblow to the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

a kowtowing yes man

You mean like McDaniels when he was gonna go to Indy and Bill said "bad dog! Stay!"

9 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

You mean like McDaniels when he was gonna go to Indy and Bill said "bad dog! Stay!"

I wish he took that job.... 

I heard former Eagles message board poster Don Corleone is on the top 3 of coaching candidates for the Eagles!

20 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If nothing else McDaniels is a guy the Eagles can peddle off as a guy with great experience with developing quarterbacks. They will falsely cite Brady and mention Jimmy G as well. Ignore the quite mediocre offense shown by them this year though. So even though he wasn’t able to do much for Cam Newton’s career they can try and play him of as a guy who can "fix” Carson or a guy who can develop Hurts. Heck I wouldn’t even be surprised if someone praised him for finding a way to get Teblow to the playoffs. 

Cam Newton is garbage, his arm is shot. I blame Bill for not planning properly for Tom’s departure. 

18 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Howie Roseman is not even in Belichick’s stratosphere in terms of having authority with a resume to back it up. And I feel it was more, "Josh you’re gonna inherit this team from me, one day soon. Please stay.” Three years later, Bill’s still there. 

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

🤫

I am actually warming up to the idea of McDaniels from the remaining candidates available. I think his personality is exactly what Wentz needs if there is any hope to salvage his career in Philly.

Furthermore, I think he has enough credibility to pull off the same power play that Chip Kelly accomplished with much less to his name and usurp Howie Roseman's throne as a HC/GM (since we're apparently not interested in hiring a real one this offseason or even promoting Dorsey/Weidl to replace Roseman).

McDaniels was a member of the Patriots coaching staff during all of their 6 Super Bowl wins. That alone should give him enough clout to convince Jeff Lurie to get out of the way and let a real football mind call the shots.

I know his Broncos tenure was not great, but I think McDaniels is more likely to trust his scouts than Howie, and our scouts reportedly are suggesting good players (being overrided by Howie or Jeff) based on leaked reports. 

McDaniels would be Jeff Lurie's first re-tread hire, but that shouldn't scare him from pulling the trigger if he's the best candidate available (and willing to come here).

The league is certainly going to be watching our video crews and checking the air pressure on our balls 

Archived