2nd Eagles HC Poll and Discussion Thread

Outlaw

Eagles New HC  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want out of who is left?

• Joe Brady
    • Duce Staley
    • Eric Bienemy
    • Matt Eberflus
    • Brandon Staley
    • Brian Daboll
    • Ryan Day
    • Jerod Mayo
    • Josh McDaniels
    • Mike Kafka
    • Todd Bowles
    • Kellen Moore
    • Other (please post name)

This poll is closed to new votes

McDaniels tried to be revolutionary, stepped out of his own comfort zone, and won a playoff game with Tim Tebow.

That’s fairly impressive.

17 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

McDaniels tried to be revolutionary, stepped out of his own comfort zone, and won a playoff game with Tim Tebow.

McDaniels wasn't there for that playoff win. 

Daboll turned down the position as unattractive. He is a smart man. LOL.

43 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Daboll turned down the position as unattractive. He is a smart man. LOL.

I don't think thats what happened. I think he knew that McDaniels already interviewed with the eagles. Daboll and McDaniels are good friends he didn't want to compete with McDaniels. Also he only interviewed with the Jets from my understanding. There was a big rumor that he was going to be with the HC of the Chargers and he didn't go that route either so you have to take his response with a grain of salt. 

1 hour ago, SBorBust said:

I think that was with john fox

2 hours ago, nipples said:

We will see but I put 75% of the blame on Wentz himself. He was openly insubordinate to Doug, refusing to run the plays Doug was calling. He is the one that refuses after 5 years to work on his god awful mechanics. 

Also have to wonder how much backing he will have in the locker room. From everything we have heard, he already wasn’t the most popular guy among a portion of his teammates. The team seemingly loved playing for Doug, he WAS popular in the locker room, and now it looks like it came down to Wentz or Doug, and the organization sided with Wentz... I can see that losing Carson even more of the locker room. 

From all indications I’ve seen he has the support of Cox, Kelce, Lane and others.  Those are the leaders in the locker room 

Why is not being a nice guy somehow a disqualifying personality trait? Using that logic, neither Parcells nor Belichek would have ever been a head coach. Who gives a fark if the head coach is a "nice guy"? Can he freaking COACH???!

Jeebus this place...

34 minutes ago, jblah said:

I think that was with john fox

You’re right.

McDaniels drafted Tebow is 2010, had a terrible record and was fired mid-season. Fox and Tebow beat the Steelers in 2011.

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Now reporting we are interviewing Indianapolis OC Nick Sirianni for HC.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/19/eagles-interviewing-nick-sirianni-for-head-coach/

Jeff and Howie: just go ahead interview every offensive and defensive coordinators in the league and throw in a few QB coach also. Thanks. 

I guess its all "business expense" in Florida for the winter. 

10 minutes ago, jblah said:

Jeff and Howie: just go ahead interview every offensive and defensive coordinators in the league and throw in a few QB coach also. Thanks. 

It has been a long list. 

1 hour ago, jblah said:

Looking for the next Stefanski.  Sirianni has about the same amount of experience Stef had before being hired by Cleveland.  He really turned that team around.  So those saying "the next Browns” ... you could be on to something!  

19 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

Oh my Lord.  Todd Bowles being interviewed.

Took the Jets from 10-6 to 5-11 to 5-11 to 4-12 in 4 short years.

Must be an MLK Day thing.

Quick, get Bienemy on the phone before the Texans grab him.

I went back to have a look at his QB's. He had Fitzpatrick and then Bryce Petty/Hackenberg and one year of rookie Darnold/McCown. The defense was solid the first season and then regressed after that. It probably had a bit to do with the pretty poor offense. 

18 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I think I might perhaps be the only guy on this board excited at the thought of McDaniels...especially if Mayo is coming with him.  Like who WANTS Duce because they think he'll actually turn this team around?  There's a reason he hasn't gotten one sniff of an interview for an OC job anywhere but here.  Give me the guy with the pedigree who at least will get us a little excited about moving forward.  Duce doesn't excite me...at all.

There was an article on Duce last season hyping him up as a HC option for other teams. It was based off the Sanders article 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/miles-sanders-opens-about-duce-staley-i-never-had-father-figure

He is tough on guys, they still love him and he has earnt their respect. It's honestly not a bad hire

So, was offline most of the weekend. I did vote Daboll in the poll, but based on him being out, here are my updated thoughts. Given who has been hired, I actually feel like we COULD do well if they don't mess it up.

1. Brady -- he is my top choice of the remaining candidates. He had Carolina looking competent without the best weapon on the team (CMC) and Teddy Bridgewater at QB. I think this hire needs to be more of a higher risk, higher reward play -- the roster doesn't have the talent to play it safe and keep the status quo. I'd like to see Brady working with someone like Reagor, and yes even Wentz. It might have a higher bust potential, but I like it. 

2. McDaniels -- I think the reaction here is emotional and unwarranted. He failed in Denver, but he was in his early to mid 30s. Belichick failed in Cleveland, went back to Parcells, and then became the GOAT. He kept that offense humming with NO weapons on the outside, and he coached Brady hard. I feel like McDaniels is what Wentz needs -- either Wentz shapes up next year, or it is time to move on. No more coddling from Doug and Press. What JM did to the Colts was vile, but I can't think he pulls that again -- feels like he was promised BB's job, and now Bill is sticking around for the rebuild. I don't blame him for this year -- Cam is hot garbage, they had no offseason to try and cool off the garbage, and they had NOTHING else on offense.

3. Bienemy -- he must just interview TERRIBLY. Getting to the where there is smoke there is fire stage. I'd rather get Brady or McDaniels.

4. Everyone else on the list

5. Duce

6 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Keeping Howie has really ruined any enthusiasm I would have had for this team going forward. There really is a small part of me that doesn’t mind hiring a coach who I expect to fail, just in the hopes that Howie finally goes down with the ship. 

Yeah.  I'm not even interested that much in the coaching hire or who they take at #6 (I'm sure that will change as the draft gets closer).  The organization is too dysfunctional, it's amazing they were able to capture lightning in a bottle in 2017.  They don't have any identity or philosophy, they keep changing what they want with each coaching hire, each draft has a new trendy theme like last year Howie just drafted speed instead of the best players.  They don't have a direction.

17 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Get Wentz working with an OC who was under Reich?

Now that is an intriguing option as well. 

47 minutes ago, Mat said:

I went back to have a look at his QB's. He had Fitzpatrick and then Bryce Petty/Hackenberg and one year of rookie Darnold/McCown. The defense was solid the first season and then regressed after that. It probably had a bit to do with the pretty poor offense. 

There was an article on Duce last season hyping him up as a HC option for other teams. It was based off the Sanders article 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/miles-sanders-opens-about-duce-staley-i-never-had-father-figure

He is tough on guys, they still love him and he has earnt their respect. It's honestly not a bad hire

Duce can barely handle RB rotation.  Him being respected and a nice guy earns him a position coach spot, not necessarily a HC.

We are now on top of the previously reported Sirianni also interviewing John Fassel:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/19/report-eagles-interested-in-interviewing-john-fassel/

I like that they're casting a wide net and taking their time.  I like Sirianni a lot, good resume and Frank obviously thinks highly of him.  My current top 3:

1. Brady

2. McDaniels

3. Sirianni

"I like McDaniels personality"

Hiring McDaniels because he's yelled at Brady is a horrible reason

Another piece pointing to additional signs that McDaniels is the lead dog in this race.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/another-sign-josh-mcdaniels-eagles-front-runner

A couple additional interesting nuggets:

Duce reportedly would have a strong staff of coordinators and coaches (which IMO he would need if hired).

There was increasing tension between Doug and Howie.

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

From all indications I’ve seen he has the support of Cox, Kelce, Lane and others.  Those are the leaders in the locker room 

Good chance Cox is traded (gotta get rid of players for cap purposes) and I’m betting Kelce retires. Plenty of rumblings about how he is viewed as selfish within the locker room. 

12 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Can we get Bill Cowher or Brian Billick? :D

Why on earth would we want Billick?

45 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Now that is an intriguing option as well. 

The Colts offense has been up and down since Reich joined that team. I don’t see why he’d be a good candidate. Meanwhile the Chiefs offense has consistently been in the top ten in that same span. Feels more like a move in hopes to catch some kind of lightning that isn’t really there. There is nothing about this guy that would make Wentz respect him. 

i think if we go with McDaniels, it will be a huge culture shock to most of the vets here. I can definitely see many of them requesting trades, retiring, or just not doing very well. This will need to be complete overhaul of the culture which includes the players. McDaniels will need to get different types of guys who are okay with being coached hard. The scouting department will need to also check this and make sure that the players they bring in can stand that psychologically. 

Personally I think we'll need a brand new o-line because most of them will be gone due to this cultural change. Lane will be gone, Brandon Brooks will not take to this type of coaching well, JP is gone, Kelce will be gone also. 

Archived