Ertz trade talk

DBW

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

Video says they're asking 3rd, maybe 4th and teams don't want to give that much.

I mean no team is going to give up a 3rd or 4th for Ertz because that's too high a price to pay to steal a march on other teams once he becomes a FA.

Sorry Zach, maybe if you hadn’t put in a half assed effort last season they’d have been able to get a trade done by now. 

What's the chance we extend Ertz lowering his cap hit this season and adding a year or 2? 😳

I would say, slim to none...wasn’t he offered a major extension relatively recently, but turned it down...

I get the feeling that he sees the current Eagles team a shadow of the team from 3 years ago...(as do we all, no doubt). 

I’d be amazed if he wasn’t released over the next 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

I would say, slim to none...wasn’t he offered a major extension relatively recently, but turned it down...

I get the feeling that he sees the current Eagles team a shadow of the team from 3 years ago...(as do we all, no doubt). 

I’d be amazed if he wasn’t released over the next 24 hours.

I'm suprised it's taken this long..It almost seems like something unexpected will take place. With the way our cap is i expected a surprise or 2 and they have yet to happen.

Looking at the crazy money Jonnu Smith just got off the Patriots there isn't a snowballs chance in hell we extend Ertz.

He'll be cut or play out his final year. 

Are they actually going to trade him or will they just restructure him like everyone else. 

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Looking at the crazy money Jonnu Smith just got off the Patriots there isn't a snowballs chance in hell we extend Ertz.

He'll be cut or play out his final year. 

It looks like they will keep him. Number 1- Makes no sense to trade or cut him until after June 1st. 2- Unless they get a 3rd or 4th its better to keep him. If eh plays better he could be traded by deadline. If hes not traded, he becomes a FA next year and will more then likely get a good enough deal to get a 3rd or 4th comp pick. So one way or another, howie will get his pick, lol. 

2 hours ago, weko said:

If anyone is offering a 5, we should take it

Absolutely! A 5 is better than cutting him. I would guess they will end up trading him... A late in the day trade or just before FA officially starts.

I don't know what the current Eagles cap situation is right now, but if they can afford to keep Ertz, then maybe they just keep him for his final year, and hope for a decent comp pick next season? Depends on if Howie is set on getting something for Ertz, and would rather free up some cap to do that, or if he is happy to simply let him walk...

At least Ertz would do his utmost in a contract year, gotta get that final lucrative deal (from someone) for 2022 onwards...would be a win, win situation for the Eagles...get a good 2021 from Ertz, and that gets him a better deal in FA in 2022, which means a better comp pick...

I am not convinced at all that any trade is coming the Eagles way for Ertz...

23 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

I don't know what the current Eagles cap situation is right now, but if they can afford to keep Ertz, then maybe they just keep him for his final year, and hope for a decent comp pick next season? Depends on if Howie is set on getting something for Ertz, and would rather free up some cap to do that, or if he is happy to simply let him walk...

At least Ertz would do his utmost in a contract year, gotta get that final lucrative deal (from someone) for 2022 onwards...would be a win, win situation for the Eagles...get a good 2021 from Ertz, and that gets him a better deal in FA in 2022, which means a better comp pick...

I am not convinced at all that any trade is coming the Eagles way for Ertz...

He's gone.  Doesn't want to play here and we don't want him in the locker room.  Maybe they get a 5 today or tomorrow.  If not we could wait it out for a pick and sit him all training camp and cut him at final cuts, but that would be a huge negative distraction.  Hopefully a pick by day 3 of the draft.

I think the Ertz trade talk is going to start to intensify now that the Pats have scooped up all of the top TEs available in free agency.  Also, it seems that both the Chargers and the Titans now have big holes at TE.  

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I think the Ertz trade talk is going to start to intensify now that the Pats have scooped up all of the top TEs available in free agency.  Also, it seems that both the Chargers and the Titans now have big holes at TE.  

Chargers didn't want to pay henry when we would of been cheaper and he is 4 years younger they weren't going to pay for Ertz

With the top 2 TE FA's gone, Ertz's value in the trade market looks up.  Simple supply-demand ratio. 

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

At this point I do think they will be able to trade him, likely to the Chargers. I'm thinking a 5 in 2022 that could become a 4 if Ertz hits certain conditions with playing time, production, etc.

42 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Usually not a good sign when you ask a player to seek a trade. Howie tried, failed and is probably close to cutting him so he allowed Ertz to seek his own trade. 

33 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Usually not a good sign when you ask a player to seek a trade. Howie tried, failed and is probably close to cutting him so he allowed Ertz to seek his own trade. 

We’ll probably end up dealing Ertz for a 6th or 7th ... just so Howie can save a little face (in his own mind) by getting something in return.  Howie has lost his magic not only when it comes to managing the cap but also with being on the better side of trade deals.  

Word is (on Twitter) that the Eagles are now officially under the cap, without moving Ertz, so there now appears to be no desperate need to release or trade him...for peanuts.

Time to just let the Ertz situation play out...a pick would be nice, but if we’re talking a 6th or 7th rounder, that’s pretty much a face saving trade...and chances are, any pick is going to be conditional, which is a double slap in the face...

Howie wont move him for cheap. He has options since we are under the cap

1- Trade him for a 3rd or 4th to a team right before the draft and FA is chewed up. 

2- Keep him and he can be a trade option during preseason or trade deadline for a team needing that last piece.

3- He plays the whole season, hits the market next year and we get a comp pick. I think Ertz will rebound and play well resulting in a nice pay day next year in his new contract. So in the end we will get our 3rd or 4th round comp pick. 

I think we end up getting some 4th or conditional 5th for Ertz.  Giving him permission to seek a trade all but guarantees that a trade is going to happen.  

To me, giving Ertz permission to seek a trade sounds more like Howie has run out of options, and is getting desperate...but at least it’s not a move that needs to be made to get under the cap, any more, so who knows.

Personally, I’d rather he stayed and had a career season...we are absorbing the cap hit either way, so I’d rather get the use from him, but it sounds like his head is where Wentz’s head was...checked out already, unfortunately.

Giving Ertz and his agent permission to talk to teams actually can help the Eagles get better value. This way they can talk to the other teams, tell them what he wants if its a new contract or if he will play out the remaining 1 year on his deal. They get to see for themselves the excitement Ertz has to go to there team. This could all lead to a team being confident in giving the compensation needed to make the move. 

Archived