Ertz trade talk

DBW

No news or rumors about Ertz's departure.  Is it going to happen?  Don't think the team will cut him outright.  If no trade partner, what other options are there? 

I think its best Eagles don't trade or release Ertz at this point.. He should've been traded 2 years ago, if Eagles were serious on proper compensation. No one is going to give anything for him now.

If he gets released that snake GM in Indy will snap him up for free, screw him, he got his way with Wentz, no need to play right into his game for ERTZ..

Ertz & Goedert will form a nice set of weapons for Jalen... Ertz can work his a** off and have a great year and find his exit out of here after next season..

28 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

No news or rumors about Ertz's departure.  Is it going to happen?  Don't think the team will cut him outright.  If no trade partner, what other options are there? 

There really is only 2 options. 

1- Find a trade parnter who is willing to give up a 3rd or 4th. Could even happen by the trade deadline. 

2- Keep him, let him play and prove to the league he is still a top TE in this league. If he does then next year he becomes a FA and lands a nice contract which results in a 3rd or 4th comp pick for us. He he plays like crap he will still get signed but results in a 5th  to 6th round comp pick. There is zero point not trying to get that 3rd/4th comp pick and trade him for peanuts. 

42 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

1- Find a trade parnter who is willing to give up a 3rd or 4th. Could even happen by the trade deadline. 

2- Keep him, let him play and prove to the league he is still a top TE in this league. If he does then next year he becomes a FA and lands a nice contract which results in a 3rd or 4th comp pick for us. He he plays like crap he will still get signed but results in a 5th  to 6th round comp pick. There is zero point not trying to get that 3rd/4th comp pick and trade him for peanuts. 

He'd have to sign a mega deal in order to land a 3rd rd comp pick ... I don't know that any team would be willing to do so for a TE on the wrong side of 30, even if he does demonstrate he can still play at a high level this year.  The last time we were awarded a 3rd rd comp pick was when Foles signed with Jacksonville ... that was a 4 year $88M deal.  We received a comp pick in the 4th rd when Chicago signed Burton (that was a 4 year $32M contract).  

a 4th this year (hopefully) feels about right.

a 4 is too high for him now.  He's over 30 and has next to no after the catch ability.  He's a move the chains guy, which is a valuable asset for a QB.  But not worth more than a 5 in my book. There isn't any chance of him getting a huge deal after next season if he's still here.  He won't get targeted much if he is.  Maybe 35-40 catches.  A team trading a 5 can re sign him to a longer deal or take a 5 or 6 comp pick and let him walk.  That's the argument Howie should be selling to get a 5.  

9 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

I was thinking there might be some to come out of the Owner's meetings but those were virtual this year so it wasn't the usual gathering of all of the NFL powers that be where deals can sometimes be worked out.  They still need to fill a bit of the roster out so I would think they would want that extra $4M or whatever it is to maybe make some bargain bin signings out there but maybe they are really just going to ride it out until the draft and see if they can get a team to pull the trigger on a trade of a TE doesn't fall to whichever TE needy teams on the first two days of the draft.  

5 hours ago, weko said:

a 4 is too high for him now.  He's over 30 and has next to no after the catch ability.  He's a move the chains guy, which is a valuable asset for a QB.  But not worth more than a 5 in my book. There isn't any chance of him getting a huge deal after next season if he's still here.  He won't get targeted much if he is.  Maybe 35-40 catches.  A team trading a 5 can re sign him to a longer deal or take a 5 or 6 comp pick and let him walk.  That's the argument Howie should be selling to get a 5.  

Tampa traded a 4th for a 31 year-old Gronk (out of football for a year) and a 7th. Personally, I believe Ertz' YAC is more a product of how he was used in Doug's offense and our offensive state. His YAC was a lot higher before Doug (and Wentz) arrived and it has steadily declined each season. Without any other viable weapons on the outside the last couple seasons, he was often the focal point of opposing secondaries. I think Ertz can thrive again outside of what we had with Doug. I even believe he'll be more productive here (per catch) if we let him finish out his contract.  I wouldn't pair him up with Wentz again if I were Indy because Wentz needs to learn to spread the ball around better to WRs. Wentz is getting the "fresh start" he wanted, but it will only help him if he doesn't have to fall back on his crutch (Ertz). 

Too many Eagles fans are underestimating players on this team based solely on 2020's awful showing. 2020 was a mess and everybody played a part. Players that have proven to play well before will likely bounce back, but pessimism prevents many people from expecting it. That's why teams like Indy were able to get Wentz in a trade for less than he should have been worth. Bradford brought us a 1st rd pick from a desperate team. Jay Feely brought us a 2nd rd pick. Heck ... Denver traded Jay cutler for two 1st rd picks, a 3rd and Orton after Cutler threw 18 INTs (surprise, surprise ... he threw 26 more the next year with the bears). Anyway, my point is that when you combine a passionate fan base with awful sports media, you tend to devalue your players ---  and yeah ... that's JMO (it's hard to sell something you want to blow up).

13 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Yes - although because they didn’t trade him at peak value last year and he had a bad season, the best trade may be a conditional pick that could become higher than a 4th if he makes a pro bowl or a makes a certain number of catches. 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Tampa traded a 4th for a 31 year-old Gronk (out of football for a year) and a 7th. Personally, I believe Ertz' YAC is more a product of how he was used in Doug's offense and our offensive state. His YAC was a lot higher before Doug (and Wentz) arrived and it has steadily declined each season. Without any other viable weapons on the outside the last couple seasons, he was often the focal point of opposing secondaries. I think Ertz can thrive again outside of what we had with Doug. I even believe he'll be more productive here (per catch) if we let him finish out his contract.  I wouldn't pair him up with Wentz again if I were Indy because Wentz needs to learn to spread the ball around better to WRs. Wentz is getting the "fresh start" he wanted, but it will only help him if he doesn't have to fall back on his crutch (Ertz). 

Too many Eagles fans are underestimating players on this team based solely on 2020's awful showing. 2020 was a mess and everybody played a part. Players that have proven to play well before will likely bounce back, but pessimism prevents many people from expecting it. That's why teams like Indy were able to get Wentz in a trade for less than he should have been worth. Bradford brought us a 1st rd pick from a desperate team. Jay Feely brought us a 2nd rd pick. Heck ... Denver traded Jay cutler for two 1st rd picks, a 3rd and Orton after Cutler threw 18 INTs (surprise, surprise ... he threw 26 more the next year with the bears). Anyway, my point is that when you combine a passionate fan base with awful sports media, you tend to devalue your players ---  and yeah ... that's JMO (it's hard to sell something you want to blow up).

Gronk was Brady's guy so they gave up a 4.  Plus he's a more dynamic red zone threat.  When a player at the end of the road has a falling out with management, he doesn't get the same opportunities if he's still there the next year.  Ertz won't be targeted half as much as he was in the past if still here, which i doubt will happen.  Plus he's older and has had injuries.  His reputation in the league is he has no after the catch ability any more.  He catches it and falls down.  What speed he had is gone.  He's not worth as much as people think as he's not the same player.  Take a 5, dump the 8.5 in salary and run.

30 minutes ago, eggs said:

Yes - although because they didn’t trade him at peak value last year and he had a bad season, the best trade may be a conditional pick that could become higher than a 4th if he makes a pro bowl or a makes a certain number of catches. 

You're dreaming if you think some team would give up a 3 under any conditions for a 31 year old, slow TE on the decline with little to no after the catch ability or speed and a 8.5 mil salary.

34 minutes ago, eggs said:

2 is impossible.  Won't happen.  He had a very public falling out with Howie then quit on the team.  We fired the coach and hired a new one.  In no way do they want an older declining malcontent in the locker room undermining the new regime.  ertz is gone.  Howie is just being stubborn.  Maybe if the stars align on draft weekend we might get a late 4.  And maybe the teams that showed interest, Chargers, Bills, Rams decide to go in another direction.  The fact is, the closer we get to the draft the more valuable picks become.  Politically a GM doesn't want to piss off his personnel dept by trading picks on draft weekend for older players.  They've spent a year on the road, living out of a suitcase and watching hundreds of hours of film.  Last thing these people want is for the GM to dump draft picks on the eve of the draft having worked 12 months to prepare.  Howie should take what he can get, the sooner the better.  Why make Ertz wait?  He's been a good pro for us, atleast until last year.  He almost has the franchise career yardage record, right?  Didn't he catch the winning touchdown in the SB?  Howie needs to stop being a jerk and move him for a 5.  

9 hours ago, weko said:

Plus he's older and has had injuries.  His reputation in the league is he has no after the catch ability any more.  He catches it and falls down.  What speed he had is gone.  He's not worth as much as people think as he's not the same player.  Take a 5, dump the 8.5 in salary and run.

Reagor is a year "older and has had injuries" too. It doesn't mean much. His (Ertz') reputation in the league  is that he knows how to get open and is a threat (which is why teams doubled him often in 2020 and usually covered him with a CB by plan). His speed isn't any different than it was in 2017 or 2018 --- the ankle injury effected him a bit, but that injury is in the past now. Let's stop pretending that all injuries to Eagles are career ending ... 

Based on last year, interested teams aren't going to offer as much as he's probably worth. Perception is a great bargaining tool. He's actually worth more than you're giving him credit for. I'm not saying we'll get that. I expect him to easily rebound next year --- especially if he goes to an offense that isn't pitiful like the 2020 Eagles. He could really help a team like the Bills.

7 hours ago, weko said:

2 is impossible.  Won't happen.  He had a very public falling out with Howie then quit on the team.  We fired the coach and hired a new one.  In no way do they want an older declining malcontent in the locker room undermining the new regime.  ertz is gone.  Howie is just being stubborn.  Maybe if the stars align on draft weekend we might get a late 4.  And maybe the teams that showed interest, Chargers, Bills, Rams decide to go in another direction.  The fact is, the closer we get to the draft the more valuable picks become.  Politically a GM doesn't want to piss off his personnel dept by trading picks on draft weekend for older players.  They've spent a year on the road, living out of a suitcase and watching hundreds of hours of film.  Last thing these people want is for the GM to dump draft picks on the eve of the draft having worked 12 months to prepare.  Howie should take what he can get, the sooner the better.  Why make Ertz wait?  He's been a good pro for us, atleast until last year.  He almost has the franchise career yardage record, right?  Didn't he catch the winning touchdown in the SB?  Howie needs to stop being a jerk and move him for a 5.  

Agree on Ertz being worth a 5th round pick, but maybe nobody is offering one.

37 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

Agree on Ertz being worth a 5th round pick, but maybe nobody is offering one.

And even if they are... Is it worth it? I mean at this point could he come back and play a role this year in helping Hurts? I don't know the answer to that but if he can then he may be worth just bringing back. 

ertz could be traded as early as a month ago, 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago, 1 week ago, yesterday, blah, blah blah

On 4/4/2021 at 1:30 PM, DeathByEagle said:

On 4/5/2021 at 6:17 AM, brkmsn said:

Reagor is a year "older and has had injuries" too. It doesn't mean much. His (Ertz') reputation in the league  is that he knows how to get open and is a threat (which is why teams doubled him often in 2020 and usually covered him with a CB by plan). His speed isn't any different than it was in 2017 or 2018 --- the ankle injury effected him a bit, but that injury is in the past now. Let's stop pretending that all injuries to Eagles are career ending ... 

Based on last year, interested teams aren't going to offer as much as he's probably worth. Perception is a great bargaining tool. He's actually worth more than you're giving him credit for. I'm not saying we'll get that. I expect him to easily rebound next year --- especially if he goes to an offense that isn't pitiful like the 2020 Eagles. He could really help a team like the Bills.

On 4/5/2021 at 11:02 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And even if they are... Is it worth it? I mean at this point could he come back and play a role this year in helping Hurts? I don't know the answer to that but if he can then he may be worth just bringing back. 

I'm leaning more and more in to keeping Ertz for now, particularly if the most we can get is a 5th. 

1) The salary cap saving is reasonable but not huge. 

2) Hurts is really lacking veteran targets. It may help if he has Ertz playing for his next contract to pair with Goedert.

3) If Ertz starts the year well and stays healthy, a team may very well jump in and offer a 3rd or 4th before the trade deadline. We are really suffering for Ertz's 2020. He is too good to just give away for a 6th on the back of one freak bad season.

20 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I'm leaning more and more in to keeping Ertz for now, particularly if the most we can get is a 5th. 

1) The salary cap saving is reasonable but not huge. 

2) Hurts is really lacking veteran targets. It may help if he has Ertz playing for his next contract to pair with Goedert.

3) If Ertz starts the year well and stays healthy, a team may very well jump in and offer a 3rd or 4th before the trade deadline. We are really suffering for Ertz's 2020. He is too good to just give away for a 6th on the back of one freak bad season.

If they can manage the cap without cutting or trading Ertz then they should. It shouldn't impact or affect their plans going forwards though and they should still draft a young TE in this draft.

Personally I think if the best they can get right now is a 5th then why trade him? We'd probably get that in a couple of years in terms of a compensatory pick so may as well keep hold of him. Now that changes if he is unwilling to turn up to camp of course but I don't think he would do that? He loves playing for the Eagles and playing in this city. He doesn't want to leave but just seemed to accept that his time was coming to an end.

Hurts needs all the help he can do and a healthy Ertz (who will be playing for a good future contract in FA) will help him for sure.

If no trading partner, keeping Ertz is not the worst scenario.  The team would like to put Goedert as #1 TE.  Could they find some ways for both to play well?  Like Celek before he called it a career. 

26 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

If no trading partner, keeping Ertz is not the worst scenario.  The team would like to put Goedert as #1 TE.  Could they find some ways for both to play well?  Like Celek before he called it a career. 

I agree with this.  If we don't get a good return, we should keep him.  If he plays well (I think he will), we will get a sweet comp pick.  Having Ertz and Goedart on the field at the same time is not a bad problem to have in my opinion. 

On 4/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, Grump99 said:

I agree with this.  If we don't get a good return, we should keep him.  If he plays well (I think he will), we will get a sweet comp pick.  Having Ertz and Goedart on the field at the same time is not a bad problem to have in my opinion. 

Agreed. The Eagles are under the cap. They don’t need to cut Ertz nor do they have to take less value in a trade. Teams need to start at comp level draft picks if they want Ertz. 

My guess is Howie gives him the big contract he wants that ruins future cap years

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

My guess is Howie gives him the big contract he wants that ruins future cap years

Next year is already ruined.  Gotta get to work on 2023.

Archived