Ertz trade talk

DBW

Like the tweet suggested, we may not be able to get a 5 this draft for him.  I'd wait a year and accept a 5 in 2022.  Much better than a 6

Eagles should not accept anything less than a 4th for Ertz. They really have no reason to rush this. They are cap compliant and hold leverage. Obviously Ertz is pissed for having to wait but this is business

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Giving Ertz and his agent permission to talk to teams actually can help the Eagles get better value. This way they can talk to the other teams, tell them what he wants if its a new contract or if he will play out the remaining 1 year on his deal. They get to see for themselves the excitement Ertz has to go to there team. This could all lead to a team being confident in giving the compensation needed to make the move. 

I wonder if there might already be a deal but Ertz needs to work out a contract. 

Saw a rumor the Chief are interested in maybe brining Ertz in. Kelce and Ertz would be a devastating one two punch. 

Whenever a team gives permission for a new player to seek their own trade it means nobody is calling with offers and the GM struck out. They just want the player to see that he’s not worth what he thinks he is first hand.  Howie especially is too egotistical to not want to be the mastermind behind any deal. Allowing ertz to do it in his own just proves that nobody wants him that badly and Howie knows it.  It’s a hey, we tried, and Ain’t nobody got time for dat anymore kind of thing.  

6 hours ago, PhillyRockd said:

I wonder if there might already be a deal but Ertz needs to work out a contract. 

Ertz doesn't want a new contract he wants to go to a team with the one he already has. 

3 hours ago, DBW said:

Whenever a team gives permission for a new player to seek their own trade it means nobody is calling with offers and the GM struck out. They just want the player to see that he’s not worth what he thinks he is first hand.  Howie especially is too egotistical to not want to be the mastermind behind any deal. Allowing ertz to do it in his own just proves that nobody wants him that badly and Howie knows it.  It’s a hey, we tried, and Ain’t nobody got time for dat anymore kind of thing.  

Why would Ertz care if he is worth anything in a trade? I'm  sure he could give a flying sheet if they even get a 7th rounder for him as long as he goes where he wants to go and gets of this sheety team. 

35 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Why would Ertz care if he is worth anything in a trade? I'm  sure he could give a flying sheet if they even get a 7th rounder for him as long as he goes where he wants to go and gets of this sheety team. 

I think what he's saying is the team are saying to Ertz if you want to go, there is no interest in trading on your current deal so either you go and discuss possible extensions with new teams and we'll try and work from there or we'll keep you around for the last year of your contract.

4 hours ago, DBW said:

There likely are teams interested in trading for Ertz but aren't willing to give up what Howie is asking (a 3rd or 4th) while taking on a contract that pays him $8.5M with only 1 year left on his current deal.  I imagine if they would be able to come to an agreement on a deal prior to finalizing a deal that would likely sway that team to make the deal (but perhaps not for a 3rd or 4th .... guessing a 6th, 5th at best).   

43 minutes ago, time2rock said:

There likely are teams interested in trading for Ertz but aren't willing to give up what Howie is asking (a 3rd or 4th) while taking on a contract that pays him $8.5M with only 1 year left on his current deal.  I imagine if they would be able to come to an agreement on a deal prior to finalizing a deal that would likely sway that team to make the deal (but perhaps not for a 3rd or 4th .... guessing a 6th, 5th at best).   

Howie should be able to sell the comp pick aspect of all this. If he trades Ertz for a 4th, that team should be able to get a 4th in return if Ertz leaves after a year. So the team basically has no risk, they exchange 4th rounders and get Ertz for a year at a very reasonable salary. If they re-sign him, well things worked out and they get Ertz for a 4th. 

47 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yeah I guess if he negotiating an extension then that makes sense, but that’s not "seeking a trade” that’s basically legalized tampering. So maybe it’s a way to skirt the rules.  In any case Howie hasn’t gotten a decent offer or he’d be gone.  

28 minutes ago, DBW said:

Yeah I guess if he negotiating an extension then that makes sense, but that’s not "seeking a trade” that’s basically legalized tampering. So maybe it’s a way to skirt the rules.  In any case Howie hasn’t gotten a decent offer or he’d be gone.  

Isn't that what the 3 days prior to the official start to the new league year are ... "legal tempering"?

47 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Howie should be able to sell the comp pick aspect of all this. If he trades Ertz for a 4th, that team should be able to get a 4th in return if Ertz leaves after a year. So the team basically has no risk, they exchange 4th rounders and get Ertz for a year at a very reasonable salary. If they re-sign him, well things worked out and they get Ertz for a 4th. 

No GM is going to go for that. There is absolutely no way to predict comp picks. 

On 3/15/2021 at 9:33 PM, DeathByEagle said:

It looks like they will keep him. Number 1- Makes no sense to trade or cut him until after June 1st. 2- Unless they get a 3rd or 4th its better to keep him. If eh plays better he could be traded by deadline. If hes not traded, he becomes a FA next year and will more then likely get a good enough deal to get a 3rd or 4th comp pick. So one way or another, howie will get his pick, lol. 

This right here, why get rid of him when the cap hit isn't needed anymore. He still has game left in him. If he walks after next season we still get a 3rd or 4th. 100%. Just hold the guy and if he wants to cry like a baby all off season let him. He needs to ball out this year because of contact ending.

With the team now reportedly being under the 2021 cap, there is no longer a need to free up that $4.9M in cap space by cutting/trading him, so the leverage swings back to us somewhat.  It also helps that the free agent TE market has dried up a bit with a number of them having already been signed.  The Eagles can now hold on to Ertz and wait out a better offer ... they could hope Ertz has a bounce back year and try to deal him before the trade deadline to a team thinking he could help push them to the top (similar to how Howie desperately (negligently?) dealt a 3rd for Golden Tate a couple years ago).    

Latest rumor: There's a lot of interest in Buffalo.

They already sent their 4th round pick to Minnesota for Stefon Diggs. They have two 5th round picks... Can they make a deal for one pick now + one conditional later?

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No GM is going to go for that. There is absolutely no way to predict comp picks. 

Eagles got a 4th rounder for losing Tate. I would think that Ertz would fetch that.

Howie is actually pretty good with that.

32 minutes ago, toolg said:

Latest rumor: There's a lot of interest in Buffalo.

They already sent their 4th round pick to Minnesota for Stefon Diggs. They have two 5th round picks... Can they make a deal for one pick now + one conditional later?

Highly doubt we'd able to swing this, but if we can somehow acquire their 3rd (pick 93) and send one of our 5th rd picks along with Ertz, that would be ideal.  

18 minutes ago, PhillyRockd said:

Eagles got a 4th rounder for losing Tate. I would think that Ertz would fetch that.

Howie is actually pretty good with that.

Yeah I know that but, it's not going to work out like that all the time. There is a lot of factors that go into getting that comp pick . If it was guaranteed then the eagles might as well keep Ertz for the comp pick 

19 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

Please hurry someone trade for him. Dont want suckas that dont want to be in philly  houston

I wonder if Texans fans are saying exactly the same thing about Watson?

5 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

I wonder if Texans fans are saying exactly the same thing about Watson?

Probably not. A franchise qb is a different story. As a Texan fan that would be upsetting.

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Of course you can’t predict comp picks but it’s a selling point. 

Now he says he won’t seek a new deal when traded, meaning he wants to still enter FA after the season.  Well, I hope you didn’t throw away the key fob to Novacare cuz you’re gonna need that zach. 😂  

Archived