Ertz trade talk

DBW

Trade deadline bait for a team that wants an offensive weapon to go into the playoffs.

On 4/9/2021 at 3:08 PM, NOTW said:

Trade deadline bait for a team that wants an offensive weapon to go into the playoffs.

That seems the most likely.  Other possible scenario involves moving him during the draft ... perhaps to a team picking toward the end of the 1st (trade Ertz and pick 37 to move back up into bottom of 1st).  A team like Buffalo (who pick 30th) may make sense ... that would give us a return value of about a 3rd rd comp pick for him.  Or Baltimore (27th) - value of about the 88th overall pick in return for Ertz.  

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

That seems the most likely.  Other possible scenario involves moving him during the draft ... perhaps to a team picking toward the end of the 1st (trade Ertz and pick 37 to move back up into bottom of 1st).  A team like Buffalo (who pick 30th) may make sense ... that would give us a return value of about a 3rd rd comp pick for him.  Or Baltimore (27th) - value of about the 88th overall pick in return for Ertz.  

More like Ertz and our 5th round pick for a mid 4.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:10 PM, time2rock said:

At the moment the Eagles have 11 draft picks and around 5million in cap space, the Jackson and Jeffery cuts kick in another 4 million in June, so we have $9million in cap space, signing pick 12 will likely carry a cap number of around $4million based on 2020 contract values plus inflation, increases in rookie minimum and the new 25% rule that stops teams backloading rookie deals. that would leave us with $5million in cap space and even signing the remaining ten picks to no more than rookie minimum would cost $6.6million, but more likely we require at least another 5million to sign draft picks and leave any room for IR during the season.  I assume Barnett gets restructured at some point because his cap number is ridiculous as it stands and he likely wants the security of an extension (although Sweat will need extending at some point and there's not much in the pot next year) I think that means Ertz is gone, just to get money in the bank, but Howie isn't spending that money to sign another 1st rounder.

On 4/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, Grump99 said:

I agree with this.  If we don't get a good return, we should keep him.  If he plays well (I think he will), we will get a sweet comp pick.  Having Ertz and Goedart on the field at the same time is not a bad problem to have in my opinion. 

When the goal is to get another high draft pick it is....

57 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

At the moment the Eagles have 11 draft picks and around 5million in cap space, the Jackson and Jeffery cuts kick in another 4 million in June, so we have $9million in cap space, signing pick 12 will likely carry a cap number of around $4million based on 2020 contract values plus inflation, increases in rookie minimum and the new 25% rule that stops teams backloading rookie deals. that would leave us with $5million in cap space and even signing the remaining ten picks to no more than rookie minimum would cost $6.6million, but more likely we require at least another 5million to sign draft picks and leave any room for IR during the season.  I assume Barnett gets restructured at some point because his cap number is ridiculous as it stands and he likely wants the security of an extension (although Sweat will need extending at some point and there's not much in the pot next year) I think that means Ertz is gone, just to get money in the bank, but Howie isn't spending that money to sign another 1st rounder.

Good point, I hadn't thought if the cap implications when I posted that.  

On 4/15/2021 at 9:10 AM, time2rock said:

I like that or a trade that inolves a conitional oick for next year that can become a 3-4th based on performance. 

24 minutes ago, eggs said:

I like that or a trade that inolves a conitional oick for next year that can become a 3-4th based on performance. 

YARN | Wakey-wakey. Eggs and bakey. | Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004) | Video gifs  by quotes | f7f0b97b | 紗

On 4/16/2021 at 1:27 PM, time2rock said:

Good point, I hadn't thought if the cap implications when I posted that.  

On 4/16/2021 at 12:29 PM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

This is the whole reason I was posting like a freak last year this time that we needed to trade Ertz after his record breaking season for a high pick or two who would be young and cheap. Do I have to do all of Howie’s job?

Ertz and our first 6th round comp pick for a late 5.  Maybe Bills, Seattle, ?

3 hours ago, weko said:

Ertz and our first 6th round comp pick for a late 5.  Maybe Bills, Seattle, ?

I'd rather keep Ertz at that point. We'd get more for a compensatory pick after he becomes a FA.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd rather keep Ertz at that point. We'd get more for a compensatory pick after he becomes a FA.

Ditto.  Or maybe they get more for him if they wait until closer to the trade deadline ... a team on the edge of making the postseason either suffers an injury at the TE position or just in general need of another playmaker to put them over that edge may be willing to cough up a 4th.  

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yup. Or trade deadline deal for a team that suffered injury or wants an offensive weapon heading into the playoffs. 

So, The Eagles try to resign Ertz, but he declines their offer, because he wants more money. 

In retaliation the Eagles are now trying to trade him. What team is going to meet Ertz's contract demands, that would be willing to offer draft picks to the Eagles for? If they get a 6 or 7 round pick then we know he's a rental for a year.

I guess we shall see.

3 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

So, The Eagles try to resign Ertz, but he declines their offer, because he wants more money. 

In retaliation the Eagles are now trying to trade him. What team is going to meet Ertz's contract demands, that would be willing to offer draft picks to the Eagles for? If they get a 6 or 7 round pick then we know he's a rental for a year.

I guess we shall see.

You are a year behind on this news man lol. They tried to resign him at the beginning of last year but he wanted more money. This year they are trying to trade him and Ertz said he doesn't want a new contract from whoever trades for him. 

On 4/24/2021 at 4:08 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Really?  Doesn't the amount of the contract factor into the Comp pick?  If he signs a 1 year FA deal for 7 million what is the Comp pick value?  Also, if we sign a FA it would likely eliminate any Comp pick for him.  

6 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Really?  Doesn't the amount of the contract factor into the Comp pick?  If he signs a 1 year FA deal for 7 million what is the Comp pick value?  Also, if we sign a FA it would likely eliminate any Comp pick for him.  

People have gotten stupid over these comp picks. They are completely unpredictable and trying to build your roster around or make moves based on what you might get in a comp pick is dumb. 

17 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

People have gotten stupid over these comp picks. They are completely unpredictable and trying to build your roster around or make moves based on what you might get in a comp pick is dumb. 

There was a guy on the old board who started a topic prior to their SB win, stating the key to winning a SB was to be like the Patriots and let free agents walk and collect comp picks, and use those picks to get great players!  Genius!

18 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They are a nice little bonus to get but kinda dumb to work a strategy around getting comp picks especially if the picks are expected to be late (6th/7th rd) which ours usually are (we had a couple in recent years that were pretty solid ... the ones awarded for Foles, Hicks, and Tate).  The Ravens do that ... they have a need at OT and are (reportedly) waiting to sign someone until after May 5th when FA signings no longer count against the formula.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

They are a nice little bonus to get but kinda dumb to work a strategy around getting comp picks especially if the picks are expected to be late (6th/7th rd) which ours usually are (we had a couple in recent years that were pretty solid ... the ones awarded for Foles, Hicks, and Tate).  The Ravens do that ... they have a need at OT and are (reportedly) waiting to sign someone until after May 5th when FA signings no longer count against the formula.  

I think of them as icing on the cake for losing a player you weren't going to sign anyways. They are valuable it's just not something I would risk losing a good player over or build a strategy around or depend on to build your roster. 

On 4/9/2021 at 8:08 PM, NOTW said:

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I think of them as icing on the cake for losing a player you weren't going to sign anyways. They are valuable it's just not something I would risk losing a good player over or build a strategy around or depend on to build your roster. 

On 4/24/2021 at 9:08 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

On 4/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, time2rock said:

Ditto.  Or maybe they get more for him if they wait until closer to the trade deadline ... a team on the edge of making the postseason either suffers an injury at the TE position or just in general need of another playmaker to put them over that edge may be willing to cough up a 4th.  

I'm not moving Ertz unless we get a 3rd or more, or use him to move up either in the first or second.

Otherwise - let him have a goodbye year in Philly and help out Hurts. He needs to play well in a contract year and if he does we might get a decent offer at the deadline.

I'm not trading Ertz for a 5th/6th.

Compensatory picks are great and all, but if your plan is to hit free agency heavily at the beginning of the next season, then your compensation from your players will likely be nullified. In other words, a 5th rd pick from a trade actually has value at the end, while a potential compensatory pick may net you nothing if you are active signing free agents. 

9 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I'm not moving Ertz unless we get a 3rd or more, or use him to move up either in the first or second.

Otherwise - let him have a goodbye year in Philly and help out Hurts. He needs to play well in a contract year and if he does we might get a decent offer at the deadline.

I'm not trading Ertz for a 5th/6th.

That's where I am at. I would take a 3rd for him. I would take a 4th and another pick or a depth player but nothing lower than that. At this point it seems he has more value to the Eagles by being on the roster. He's in a contract year too so the hope would be he comes back and wants to play well.

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's where I am at. I would take a 3rd for him. I would take a 4th and another pick or a depth player but nothing lower than that. At this point it seems he has more value to the Eagles by being on the roster. He's in a contract year too so the hope would be he comes back and wants to play well.

Ertz is a declining player who had a very public falling out with the GM and tanked the rest of the season.  When that happens a player is moved, especially with a new head coach.  If for some reason he returns, that player will be out of favor.  Ertz, if he returns, will not get the targets he's had in the past.  I would put him around 35-45 catches in that situation, maybe a bit more.  Enough for a 6th round comp pick, maybe a 5, when he leaves after the season.  Ertz can move the chains and that is valuable, especially to a younger QB.  But he's often injured, has no run after catch ability, is declining and expensive.  Maybe we get lucky and some good team offers a late 4 in a draft with not many TEs.  I'd be more inclined to put his value as a 5th round pick.  We waited a year too long to trade him and get a good pick back.  Time to take what we can get, shed the salary and get younger in what will be a long rebuild.

On 4/27/2021 at 6:11 PM, brkmsn said:

Compensatory picks are great and all, but if your plan is to hit free agency heavily at the beginning of the next season, then your compensation from your players will likely be nullified. In other words, a 5th rd pick from a trade actually has value at the end, while a potential compensatory pick may net you nothing if you are active signing free agents. 

Fortunately, the Eagles won't have a ton of space to sign players next year either, thanks to Howie's contracts.

Archived