Eagles trade pick #6 and #156 to Miami for pick #12, #123, and a 2022 1st

Jenkins27

4 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Cool, so now we are arguing over semantics. It's a day two pick. Either way you would be wrong since I clearly pointed out that the Packers drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd round when Aaron Rodgers was 23. I didn't even get into Jimmy G in New England who was also a 2nd round pick.

Also, in hindsight, after Wentz had the worst season in the NFL among any starting QB and then ran away from competition like a frightened child, obviously it wasn't such a bad idea to draft another QB.

NEXT....

It's not semantics.  With a second round pick you still have a very reasonable expectation to draft someone who either right away be a starter or eventually develop into a long term starter for your team.  You can still hope for that in the 3rd round but the 3rd round is more for your high end developmental guys and 4th round your low end developmental guys who can maybe be good role players and then after that it's pure crapshoot.  For the Eagles who were a team and remain a team with obvious needs all over the place completely wasted a very valuable second round pick on a backup QB.  

The Packers drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd after Favre "retired".  Rodgers was going into his first season as starter after riding the bench for three years.  They had no definitive idea as to what they had in Rodgers at the time.  Taking a QB in the 2nd makes some sense there.  Jimmy G was drafted when Tom Brady was 37 years old.  That is definitely around the age you start thinking about drafting someone to groom as the future of the franchise.  

Why the hell are you drafting competition for your 27 year old QB you just signed to a massive 9 figure contract?  Especially when it seemed like the season prior he was able to get the Nick Foles monkey off his back with how he took a practice squad on his back and got this team in the playoffs.  It was so unnecessary.  It was an entirely unforced error by Roseman and the Eagles organization.  I have no doubts at all that if they didn't draft Hurts that Wentz would have actually had a pretty good year last year.  

59 minutes ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Not necessarily,  don't you think Howie thought of that before he agreed? That tells me there are several guys they feel comfortable with drafting at 12.

Remember that one time the Eagles thought there were going to be several guys there at their pick that they were comfortable with drafting and then all those guys got picked and the Eagles didn't know what to do so they traded down and then selected Marcus Smith? 

QB competition is good so your starter doesn't become overconfident. Some QBs need to be pushed. Wentz was probably was kicking and screaming on Howies and Luries office floor over being benched acting like a spoiled BRAT.

19 minutes ago, Freedom 76 said:

QB competition is good so your starter doesn't become overconfident. Some QBs need to be pushed. Wentz was probably was kicking and screaming on Howies and Luries office floor over being benched acting like a spoiled BRAT.

Drafting a QB in the second round to motivate your franchise QB that you just gave a boat load of money too makes the pick even more stupid. Also makes the FO even bigger idiots then originally thought. 

20 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Drafting a QB in the second round to motivate your franchise QB that you just gave a boat load of money too makes the pick even more stupid. Also makes the FO even bigger idiots then originally thought. 

The arrogance and ignorance of the Eagles FO for thinking first all they needed was a backup quarterback and secondly not recognizing that such a move could have damaging repercussions is more reason why Howie and Jeff need someone else making these moves. How does a team full of older injury prone players and a lack of young talent says to itself yeah a backup quarterback will get us over the top? There is no justification for the Hurts pick. There’s no way for the Eagles to spin it without looking like they’re lacking some confidence in Wentz. They created the entire mess with this pick. 

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The arrogance and ignorance of the Eagles FO for thinking first all they needed was a backup quarterback and secondly not recognizing that such a move could have damaging repercussions is more reason why Howie and Jeff need someone else making these moves. How does a team full of older injury prone players and a lack of young talent says to itself yeah a backup quarterback will get us over the top? There is no justification for the Hurts pick. There’s no way for the Eagles to spin it without looking like their lacking some confidence in Wentz. They created the entire mess with this pick. 

Foles winning the damn Super Bowl caused this whole franchise and it's fans to go off the effing rails!! Lol. 

8 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Foles winning the damn Super Bowl caused this whole franchise and it's fans to go off the effing rails!! Lol. 

I think the majority of us believed that Wentz could deliver afterwards, but as time went on it became apparent to some of us that wasn’t going to happen. The funny part to me is somehow Howie is the only one to have survived the purge of the people who are credited for that Super Bowl. That guy took the most credit, but yet escapes the blame of what the franchise has become. 

On 4/5/2021 at 8:07 PM, T-1000 said:

The Patriots drafted QB Kevin O'Connell in the 3rd round in 2008 when Tom Brady was 28 years old and already a multiple time SB champion, as well as Ryan Mallet in the 3rd round in 2001 when Brady was 31 years old. Wentz hadn't even won a playoff game when the Eagles drafted Hurts. 

The Green Bay Packers drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd round in 2008 when Aaron Rodgers was 23 years old.

NFL teams value the most important position in the sport and often use 2nd-4th round picks on QB's when they already have a great QB, let alone an above average injury prone one like Wentz who hadn't even won a playoff game.

I've got plenty more examples if you want to keep running your mouth and feel the need to get busted up.

I understand the overall point but Ryan Mallett was 13 in 2001.

10 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Agree

Give your franchise quarterback a huge contract than draft a backup in the 2nd round.

What happened this year should of happened after that big contract. Support your young quarterback and sign a has been backup that can't get out of his own way.

11 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Agreed.  Not watch Howie use our 2nd later this month on a backup to Hurts just to stubbornly try to prove a point or justify the Hurts pick last year.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Agreed.  Not watch Howie use our 2nd later this month on a backup to Hurts just to stubbornly try to prove a point or justify the Hurts pick last year.  

Gotta restock the factory man! :lol:

21 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Not sure why some still think Carson is more likely not to finish a season because of injuries at this point. 

Because, with an already lengthy history of significant injury, each successive injury increases the likelihood of future injuries.

13 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They didn't draft him for motivation; they drafted him for insurance. It's looking like the right call.

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Because, with an already lengthy history of significant injury, each successive injury increases the likelihood of future injuries.

He hasn't been injured in 2 seasons. 

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

They didn't draft him for motivation; they drafted him for insurance. It's looking like the right call.

Yeah no it does. Still doesn't make the pick a good one. 

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He hasn't been injured in 2 seasons.

Huh?

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah no it does. Still doesn't make the pick a good one. 

As a rule, I refrain from making any judgments of a pick as "good" or "bad" for at least two seasons, and even then, it's only tentative.

Just now, EaglesRocker97 said:

Huh?

As a rule, I refrain from making any judgments of a pick as "good" or "bad" for at least two seasons, and even then, it's only tentative.

He played the entire 2019 and unfortunately got knocked out of the playoff game but he still started every game. and last year he didn't lose his starting spot because of injury. .

I'm not looking at that pick in terms of how Hurts plays I'm looking at as a pick that could of been used else where. 

What QB on last years roster could have played better than Hurts.They would have "Hurt" the eyes.Its always good to have a capable ,young QB to play when the starter is either injured or not playing well.A veteran is necessary to assist in their development and play when needed.What excuse would be given if Wentz had Alex Smiths injury.

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He played the entire 2019 and unfortunately got knocked out of the playoff game but he still started every game. and last year he didn't lose his starting spot because of injury. .

I'm not looking at that pick in terms of how Hurts plays I'm looking at as a pick that could of been used else where. 

It's still a season that he failed to complete due to injury, so there's not much there to hang your hat on other than a technicality. Last year, he lost his job because he was playing like dogsh**, so I'm not sure that helps your argument, either, lol.

6 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

It's still a season that he failed to complete due to injury, so there's not much there to hang your hat on other than a technicality. Last year, he lost his job because he was playing like dogsh**, so I'm not sure that helps your argument, either, lol.

I understand what you are saying and I get the whole still didn't finish thing. The point is .... The reason I even made that comment is because injury shouldn't be the reason we don't get that 1st round pick from the colts!

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

The reason I even made that comment is because injury shouldn't be the reason we don't get that 1st round pick from the colts!

I don't know, it seems firmly within the realm of possibility to me. I think that's the only way we don't get a first. Reich will give Wentz enough rope to hang himself.

12 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I don't know, it seems firmly within the realm of possibility to me. I think that's the only way we don't get a first. Reich will give Wentz enough rope to hang himself.

It's definitely not out of possibility but, it's not a certainty like I think a lot of people are thinking. 

14 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I understand the overall point but Ryan Mallett was 13 in 2001.

Well said. Look Wentz’s arrogance caused his decline even more than his injuries. He actually said to Foles on the SB podium - something about the trophy being his next year. 

Oh, but what a beautiful ride it was... I can't say I wouldn't do it all over again... and I've been a big supporter of Carson. Didn't want him traded, in fact, I want Howie to trade back for him (and Frank)! Of course, that's a joke. But if it were possible and Howie did it, I wouldn't be in the streets with a pitchfork. 

All of that said, as bad as I felt for Carson having to sit on the Super Bowl sideline, I wouldn't change a single thing about that post season. Nick coming back, then going on that historic run... perfection, absolute perfection with the Philly Special as the cherry on top!

I think I'm going to have to watch something LII related tonight!

Archived