Eagles trade pick #6 and #156 to Miami for pick #12, #123, and a 2022 1st

Jenkins27

7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It's definitely not out of possibility but, it's not a certainty like I think a lot of people are thinking. 

I do think it’s certainly possible for Wentz to go down with an injury. Our luck it happens just before he hits that 75%. Still in my gut I think he achieves the snaps, but I don’t think he wins as much as people assume he will. The Cults will be a 7-9 win team with Wentz, and even if they’re better than that they will go nowhere in the playoffs. 

10 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

It's still a season that he failed to complete due to injury, so there's not much there to hang your hat on other than a technicality. Last year, he lost his job because he was playing like dogsh**, so I'm not sure that helps your argument, either, lol.

The guy hasn’t finished a full season since 2016. Heck there were some rumblings he was actually hurt last season too. I wouldn’t put it past him to hide an injury cause he hid his back injury for weeks in 2018. 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The guy hasn’t finished a full season since 2016. Heck there were some rumblings he was actually hurt last season too. I wouldn’t put it past him to hide an injury cause he hid his back injury for weeks in 2018. 

He didn't hide his back injury he was on the injury report the whole time. He argued with coaches cause he still wanted to play with it but it was known he was having back issues. 

It's not in the colts best interest to hide injuries that will result in fines and penalties. Team doctors are not going to lie to the team for Wentz. I think you are getting a little carried away with this stuff lol

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I do think it’s certainly possible for Wentz to go down with an injury. Our luck it happens just before he hits that 75%. Still in my gut I think he achieves the snaps, but I don’t think he wins as much as people assume he will. The Cults will be a 7-9 win team with Wentz, and even if they’re better than that they will go nowhere in the playoffs. 

I don't care of he wins I care that he gets us that 1st round pick

7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Exactly.  Meeting the snap count criterion but playing at a subpar level to lead them to a record that doesn’t get them into the playoffs is best case scenario, that way we end up with no worse than a top 18 pick (unless the playoff seeding changes again).  

12 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I’d rather that first be in the teens or earlier personally. 

12 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He didn't hide his back injury he was on the injury report the whole time. He argued with coaches cause he still wanted to play with it but it was known he was having back issues. 

It's not in the colts best interest to hide injuries that will result in fines and penalties. Team doctors are not going to lie to the team for Wentz. I think you are getting a little carried away with this stuff lol

I remember Doug acting as he didn’t know the severity of the injury and he implied Wentz wasn’t as forthcoming about his injury as he should’ve been. It’s not a surprise cause he didn’t want Foles back out there. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I remember Doug acting as he didn’t know the severity of the injury and he implied Wentz wasn’t as forthcoming about his injury as he should’ve been. It’s not a surprise cause he didn’t want Foles back out there. 

There was also reports that the doctors missed the fracture in his back. Either way he was put on the injury report for back issues after the Giants game when he got body slammed into the turf

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’d rather that first be in the teens or earlier personally. 

At this point I'll be happy with the first any pick that round especially since we aren't guaranteed that

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

At this point I'll be happy with the first any pick that round especially since we aren't guaranteed that

This team needs talent. The earlier the picks the better to me. 

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

There was also reports that the doctors missed the fracture in his back. Either way he was put on the injury report for back issues after the Giants game when he got body slammed into the turf

I think he was hurt in the Vikings game a week prior.

21 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

This team needs talent. The earlier the picks the better to me. 

Obviously, just not going to think about it to much. 

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Obviously, just not going to think about it to much. 

They could potentially have three first round picks in the top 20next season. That’s pretty exciting. Gotta get through this season first though.

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

They could potentially have three first round picks in the top 20next season. That’s pretty exciting. Gotta get through this season first though.

and if Hurts doesn't work out (and I'm really hoping that he does!), I can see them using all 3 (possible) 1st rounders to move up to a top 3 pick for a replacement QB in the '22 draft...

Watson?...no one is touching him with any length of barge pole...and Russell Wilson? Well, would the Eagles rather make a 3 x 1st round pick play for him, than move up for a rookie, bearing in mind the contract he would need? who knows...but best case scenario is Hurts pans out, and they can rebuild with all of these early round picks over the next couple of seasons...but when has best case scenario ever worked out for the Eagles in terms of drafting!

15 hours ago, EagleTen said:

and if Hurts doesn't work out (and I'm really hoping that he does!), I can see them using all 3 (possible) 1st rounders to move up to a top 3 pick for a replacement QB in the '22 draft...

Watson?...no one is touching him with any length of barge pole...and Russell Wilson? Well, would the Eagles rather make a 3 x 1st round pick play for him, than move up for a rookie, bearing in mind the contract he would need? who knows...but best case scenario is Hurts pans out, and they can rebuild with all of these early round picks over the next couple of seasons...but when has best case scenario ever worked out for the Eagles in terms of drafting!

On top of that for biting the Wentz bullet now it actually makes the 2022 cap situation much better which can give them flexibility to add free agents. If Sirianni can coach and if Hurts pans out the Eagles could be right back in the mix of things much sooner than people think. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

On top of that for biting the Wentz bullet now it actually makes the 2022 cap situation much better which can give them flexibility to add free agents. If Sirianni can coach and if Hurts pans out the Eagles could be right back in the mix of things much sooner than people think. 

And even if Hurts doesn't pan out they may still be in a good position to either draft a young QB or trade for one. Biting the Wentz cap hit this year was absolutely the right call. I can't stand Howie and I don't give him credit for much but I'll give him credit for that. 

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I feel that the next few Eagles seasons will be set up to shine or fall depending on Hurts...If Hurts works out (and I so hope he does), then I think the Eagles will be a contender in the NFCE quite quickly, with all of the team building picks and cap that will become available...

If he crashes and burns, and the Eagles use all of their draft capital on a QB in '22, then we are in few a few rocky seasons...

There is so much riding on this season, with Hurts, Siri and how they handle the draft...it's going to have a major impact on the next few seasons.

10 hours ago, EagleTen said:

I feel that the next few Eagles seasons will be set up to shine or fall depending on Hurts...If Hurts works out (and I so hope he does), then I think the Eagles will be a contender in the NFCE quite quickly, with all of the team building picks and cap that will become available...

If he crashes and burns, and the Eagles use all of their draft capital on a QB in '22, then we are in few a few rocky seasons...

There is so much riding on this season, with Hurts, Siri and how they handle the draft...it's going to have a major impact on the next few seasons.

The extremes are easy to rationalize for the future. But the scenario that is most likely is that Hurts is neither really bad or really good. The team ends up near .500 and drafting in the 13-18 range. 

What happens next is the crux. If Hurts is not terrible, do they give a mediocre QB more time or do they move on? If they decide to move on, would three picks in the second half of the first round be enough to move up 10-15 draft spots to get into the top three to draft a QB (Niners gave up three first and a third to move up 9 spots)? If they decide to stick with Hurts in the hopes that he takes the next step, how do they handle their key talent's contracts (Sanders, Goedert, Slay, Cox, contracts ending in the next two years)? How much do they build before they decide if he's their franchise guy? 

Would they be willing to gamble and sell the farm for Watson? Is the team ready to win during Wilson's window? 

Progression towards the mean isn't in the Eagle's favor this year. Extreme productivity or failure would go a long way to cementing the future of the franchise. 

Hurts may fail because he could have the same practice squad quality bums to throw to at WR that Wentz had.  Which is why I hated the trade.  At #6 they were almost guaranteed to have either Pitts or Chase.

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And even if Hurts doesn't pan out they may still be in a good position to either draft a young QB or trade for one. Biting the Wentz cap hit this year was absolutely the right call. I can't stand Howie and I don't give him credit for much but I'll give him credit for that. 

Honestly I don’t even know how much credit I can give Howie for that considering it was Wentz who wanted out to begin with. The drafting of Hurts probably set this all in motion, but that’s like thinking Howie had the foresight to think that far ahead and if he truly believed that he wouldn’t be so bent on trying to replace Hurts already. 

53 minutes ago, kentwo said:

The extremes are easy to rationalize for the future. But the scenario that is most likely is that Hurts is neither really bad or really good. The team ends up near .500 and drafting in the 13-18 range. 

What happens next is the crux. If Hurts is not terrible, do they give a mediocre QB more time or do they move on? If they decide to move on, would three picks in the second half of the first round be enough to move up 10-15 draft spots to get into the top three to draft a QB (Niners gave up three first and a third to move up 9 spots)? If they decide to stick with Hurts in the hopes that he takes the next step, how do they handle their key talent's contracts (Sanders, Goedert, Slay, Cox, contracts ending in the next two years)? How much do they build before they decide if he's their franchise guy? 

Would they be willing to gamble and sell the farm for Watson? Is the team ready to win during Wilson's window? 

Progression towards the mean isn't in the Eagle's favor this year. Extreme productivity or failure would go a long way to cementing the future of the franchise. 

If Hurts is just average next season I think that’s actually good, because it allows them to use picks to build up the team rather than waste picks to chase after Wilson or Watson who would basically do the exact same thing you’re mentioning here. Watson won 4 games last season. He’s not coming here and making things better and that’s assuming he gets through his mess. Wilson isn’t enough to take the Eagles over the top either. Heck Wentz averaged 8 wins a season for the Eagles. That was hardly elite productivity so if Hurts in his full first season is just average at quarterback he’s still an above average talent with his legs and on a favorable contract. The Eagles have the picks to load up on talent and the cap space to add free agents. An average Hurts is trending upward from his play as a rookie and Wentz from 2020. So if the Eagles were smart they should take the opportunity to build their roster rather than chase some quarterback. 

12 hours ago, EagleTen said:

If Hurts is moving the chains with his arm and his legs the Eagles will be fine in that department. The main thing with Hurts to me is he has to cut down the turnovers especially the fumbles. Personally I think this team needs an influx of talent more than chase the next big quarterback. If the Eagles end up getting three 1st round picks in 2022, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them use only two of them and trade the other for another 1st for 2023. I don’t think Hurts needs to be elite to win football games especially in this division, but he has to be better than what the Eagles got from the quarterback position as a whole last season. With complete subpar quarterback play the Eagles won the same amount of games as the Texans did. If Hurts is average,  players can come back healthy, the younger players improve, and Sirianni can coach the Eagles should at least double their win production from last season. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

If Hurts is just average next season I think that’s actually good, because it allows them to use picks to build up the team rather than waste picks to chase after Wilson or Watson who would basically do the exact same thing you’re mentioning here. Watson won 4 games last season. He’s not coming here and making things better and that’s assuming he gets through his mess. Wilson isn’t enough to take the Eagles over the top either. Heck Wentz averaged 8 wins a season for the Eagles. That was hardly elite productivity so if Hurts in his full first season is just average at quarterback he’s still an above average talent with his legs and on a favorable contract. The Eagles have the picks to load up on talent and the cap space to add free agents. An average Hurts is trending upward from his play as a rookie and Wentz from 2020. So if the Eagles were smart they should take the opportunity to build their roster rather than chase some quarterback. 

I think you then risk the conundrum of deciding when you're good enough to contend and the price you're willing to pay to get the QB that can take you there. The window to win is pretty small. If you keep building the team, your record improves and you never really have a chance to get a highly drafted QB. You either have to sell the farm to trade for a guy or keep throwing darts on later round guys and hope you get ridiculously lucky in the draft. All before your contracts run out and you lose players. That's where teams like the Niners, Colts, Bears, Rams are right now. 

With the modern NFL there aren't too many examples of a team that won the SB without an elite QB. Baltimore was probably the last one and that was eight years ago (although Flacco was still a good QB). Other than them, the past QBs were people like Brady (several times), Mahomes, Wilson, Manning, or Rodgers. Even the Eagle's year required Wentz playing at an elite level for most of the year to put the team into position for Foles to carry them across the finish line. So having an elite guy appears to be essential to winning it all. 

If Hurts is average, it will be interesting to see where Howie balances that point team building vs. finding their next QB. AND of course the point is moot if Howie keeps drafting as poorly as he has been, because then there will never be enough talent to win regardless of QB> 

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Honestly I don’t even know how much credit I can give Howie for that considering it was Wentz who wanted out to begin with. The drafting of Hurts probably set this all in motion, but that’s like thinking Howie had the foresight to think that far ahead and if he truly believed that he wouldn’t be so bent on trying to replace Hurts already. 

Oh whilst I give him credit for biting the Wentz hit he also deserves criticism for helping to create the situation in the first place. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh whilst I give him credit for biting the Wentz hit he also deserves criticism for helping to create the situation in the first place. 

Again that lazy argument. Everyone here including you and me were all for it when Wentz got that new contract.

Was it a mistake? Sure! But nobody saw Wentz crashing down like that. If anything we can be happy we got rid of him for somewhat decent compensation after he played like a total bum. And if you think Hurts was the mistake that created this I couldn't disagree more. Glad we have Hurts, and if he exposed Wentz for what he was, fine! What a joke to think Wentz played like this because of a second round QB drafted... Glad he is gone.

Archived