ROUND 1 (#10): Eagles select DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR)

Moderator6

Originally posted questioning the need to trade up but edited it, f' it Smith is a good blue chip talent pick, finally. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Originally posted questioning the need to trade up but edited it, f' it Smith is a good blue chip talent pick, finally. 

Absolutely. And also it was clear NY wanted a WR (as they then traded back and reached) so I think it was a necessity. The board didn't fall kindly for us. 

• Like 3

I had a nightmare that we drafted punter so given both corners were gone this was probably the best choice as I don't think trading back would make some huge difference regarding this draft...But  if this will be fail again we should be forbidden to draft WR in the first round ever again...I hope we will be able to get good CB in the 2nd round

I’ve already said in this thread I love the pick, and think Howie did an excellent job with trade down/trade back up.

But this is worth bringing up.  I think the most sensible argument against picking Smith,  is that if: Eagles stayed at 12, Cowboys stick with Parsons, Giants go Smith, and Eagles end up getting the trade call from Chicago.

To be able to add an extra 1st for Eagles rebuild to have possibly 4 1sts in 2022 would be huge. Eagles would essentially control that draft.

Would you Rather have Smith or Toney & an extra 1st? Right now I’m taking Smith, but it’ll be interesting to come back to this in a couple years 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Prime said:

For those who do not know, this man sincerely, and genuinely believes that the Earth is flat.

True story.

Yes he does, but be careful, he may go running to the mods because you brought it up here. He’s done it to me already. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, beto_eagles said:

I hadn't been this happy about our first pick in a good while.

Excellent job by Howie, I have to say. Especially considering that we wouldn't have gotten Chase or Pitts anyway.

Same here , this is the guy I've been wanting us to take since the season ended. Figured with the move down to 12  the chances were slimmer than Smith himself! that and him weighing in under 170 might have put the Eagles off. Basically our 6th pick and our 3rd got us Smith and a first pick next year!  delighted!!!

38 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I’ve already said in this thread I love the pick, and think Howie did an excellent job with trade down/trade back up.

But this is worth bringing up.  I think the most sensible argument against picking Smith,  is that if: Eagles stayed at 12, Cowboys stick with Parsons, Giants go Smith, and Eagles end up getting the trade call from Chicago.

To be able to add an extra 1st for Eagles rebuild to have possibly 4 1sts in 2022 would be huge. Eagles would essentially control that draft.

Would you Rather have Smith or Toney & an extra 1st? Right now I’m taking Smith, but it’ll be interesting to come back to this in a couple years 

I was eyeing up the move down again for Paye with another first next season - really thought that was what was going to happen.  With Smith on the board though I'd have been sprinting to get that card in. 

I like the pick. It was the right pick given who was available and they had to get in front of the Giants to get him. Giving up the Colts 3rd rounder was the cost of getting it done. I'm not a Howie supporter but it was the right move. They still have 37 & 70 tonight. The Cowboys didn't get a top CB they were targeting and the Giants didn't get a top CB or WR either.

• Like 1

Just now, John Blutarski said:

I like the pick. It was the right pick given who was available and they had to get in front of the Giants to get him. Giving up the Colts 3rd rounder was the cost of getting it done. I'm not a Howie supporter but it was the right move. They still have 37 & 70 tonight. The Cowboys didn't get a top CB they were targeting and the Giants didn't get a top CB or WR either.

Overall I think Howie comes away with credit in the bank. He traded back and got an extra first round next year. He then took the Colts 3rd round pick as part of the Wentz trade to get Smith. And Smith was a player who was talked about at #6.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AberdeenEagle said:

Same here , this is the guy I've been wanting us to take since the season ended. Figured with the move down to 12  the chances were slimmer than Smith himself! that and him weighing in under 170 might have put the Eagles off. Basically our 6th pick and our 3rd got us Smith and a first pick next year!  delighted!!!

Just one point of correction here - it wasn't even our 3rd. We still have our 3rd (#70). It was the Colts 3rd (#84).

• Like 3

I have been really down on Howie the last couple of years but I have to give him kudos. Like most fans I wanted Pitts or Chase and I originally didn’t like the trade down to 12 but once those two were off the board before the 6th pick I was feeling better about it. To give up a 3rd to grab Smith and gain an extra 1st next year was brilliant.
Good job Howie!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Overall I think Howie comes away with credit in the bank. He traded back and got an extra first round next year. He then took the Colts 3rd round pick as part of the Wentz trade to get Smith. And Smith was a player who was talked about at #6.

Give credit where credit is due, and Howie deserves credit. He played this beautifully.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Portyansky said:

To be fair, NYG did still get a really good WR.

We'll see. I thought it was a bit of a reach at 20 for a 2nd round projection. Giants did pick up another 1st rounder next year which is always good. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Give credit where credit is due, and Howie deserves credit. He played this beautifully.

No doubt about it. He did for sure. Especially after things seemed to be getting away from him earlier in the night. 

• Like 2

The morning after and really happy with this outcome.  I can be quick to criticize so to keep it balanced - nice job, Howie. 

More trades to come?

12 hours ago, Portyansky said:

You have a magic crystal ball? Who did we take 2nd round?

Miles Sanders, JJAW, Dallas Goedert, Jalen Reagor, and DeVonta Smith. Maybe you’ve heard of them... These are 4 out of 6 1st/2nd round picks since 2018. This is why bad teams are bad.

Obviously, though, DeVonta Smith is special. You certainly can’t complain about that specific pick.

2 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

that is an interesting comment. hmm, I think id would have smith in the end because you have to assume that pick from bears might not be that high again for a player like smith.

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

Ok, I like it. Howie made good trades. Get a WR to pair with Reagor, got a 1st next year then only gave an extra 3rd to move up.

I don't follow college so hopefully he's a stud for us. 

I watch a ton of SEC football and saw many Bama games last year, and this kid is legit.        A bit frustrating that the Eagles don't have a WR room with Smith, Jefferson, And Metcalf, but Roseman got it right this time and didn't overthink it for a change, and got an extra 1st next year. 

I know that no one wants to hear this, but I hope we don't look back 2-3 years from now regretting not picking Fields, but these boards might have been permanently fried had that been the pick.

• Like 2

Howie essentially turned the 6th overall pick and our second of two 3rd rounders this year into The Slim Reaper, another 1st round pick next year and turned a 5th into a 4th. He correctly read the tea leaves that Pitts and Chase are gone before 6, traded back for great value with Miami and THEN read the room correctly again by jumping the Giants since Smith was the guy they wanted all along. I call him out when he’s wrong but his moves made pre-draft and last night are absolute aces in my book. 

24976013-3B39-4981-9FF1-ED239F497D1C.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mjkvol said:

I watch a ton of SEC football and saw many Bama games last year, and this kid is legit. 

Agreed. I understand the concerns around his size but at the same time he dominated in the SEC against to be NFL corners. He's always been undersized and yet he's always produced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

In my opinion, the Howie criticism this offseason has been excessive. I was in favour of firing the guy, but people have been acting like he’s been a disaster his entire time here, which just isn’t true. He’s been very inconsistent.

Just now, vaff said:

In my opinion, the Howie criticism this offseason has been excessive. I was in favour of firing the guy, but people have been acting like he’s been a disaster his entire time here, which just isn’t true. He’s been very inconsistent.

Everything has to be looked at with some level of balance.

Howie has overall done a bad job.He was a really bad GM in his first stint and then when he was brought back to the GM seat following Chip's dismissal he seemed to have a new outlook and a new approach. That approach led to him building a roster which won the SB but that Howie now seems to be gone. The moves he has made the last few years have been poor moves and ultimately he is a bad drafter. 

He created the situation we are in with poor drafting and he helped create the Wentz situation. Now where he deserves credit is I think he got pretty good value for Wentz and he's made logical moves since. I didn't like the trade back from #6 to #12 but as things stand it seems that actually worked out.